Post by YmoBeThere » September 1st, 2017, 3:16 pm

Oh, and a Happy Zeptember everyone!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by windsor » September 1st, 2017, 3:22 pm

Happy September! Football season!

Basketball around the corner!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 1st, 2017, 3:26 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:It's been a tough, stressful week. I've been watching from afar as a couple of friends, and at least one former colleague, lost their homes to flooding. One is a month away from having her first child, and they likely lost the contents of the nursery. One very good friend and former colleague was trapped on the 2nd floor of her home, with her family, as water entered the first floor (the water has receded now, thank God). A cousin in Baytown, whose neighborhood never experienced flooding, watched as water filled the street and inched toward her front door. Same for a friend and former colleague who lives in Friendswood. Flooding in Galveston worsened yesterday but was okay by the end of the day. My church in Galveston was set to house refugees but wasn't needed. Instead, they are serving as hosts for relief workers who have come to the area, and they are serving as donation centers for supplies that are being distributed to flood victims. I suspect that is the case for other churches in the area as well.

I'm not sure people realize exactly how bad things are. Since I lived in the area and have friends there, I see a lot through their status updates. I have multiple friends who have tried to make it out to work at shelters but cannot get out of their neighborhoods due to flooding. Complete areas of town are accessible only by boat. Other friends whose houses are dry have opened their homes to neighbors whose homes are flooded. One of my friends did end up moving to higher ground, staying with a neighbor. I see posts from both sides of the political aisle bashing the other due to their alleged lack of response. This really isn't the time for that. It is going to take the Houston metro area a very long time to recover.

It shouldn't surpirse anyone around here that I have been knee deep in getting dogs OUT and back to their owners. Also getting pet supplies (crates food etc) in to the area. A smart move this time vs. Katrina is the first dogs we pulled out were dogs ALREADY in shelters - that makes room in the shelters for dogs that a hurricane refugees and increases the odds they will get back to their owner.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 1st, 2017, 3:29 pm

PET OWNER PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

PLEASE Microchip your pet - and make sure the info is current!!!!

Include alternate contacts who are out of area. In a hurricane situation having your cell phone and your numbers might not help, but having Aunt Myrtle in Wyoming will.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » September 1st, 2017, 7:40 pm

windsor wrote:PET OWNER PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

PLEASE Microchip your pet - and make sure the info is current!!!!

Include alternate contacts who are out of area. In a hurricane situation having your cell phone and your numbers might not help, but having Aunt Myrtle in Wyoming will.
Excellent point, I will have to review mine. But I don't have an Aunt Myrtle in Wyoming. What shall I do?
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 1st, 2017, 7:48 pm

Bless ever one for helpline to rescue people, dogs cats and pets. Especially Windsor.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 3rd, 2017, 8:38 am

windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:It's been a tough, stressful week. I've been watching from afar as a couple of friends, and at least one former colleague, lost their homes to flooding. One is a month away from having her first child, and they likely lost the contents of the nursery. One very good friend and former colleague was trapped on the 2nd floor of her home, with her family, as water entered the first floor (the water has receded now, thank God). A cousin in Baytown, whose neighborhood never experienced flooding, watched as water filled the street and inched toward her front door. Same for a friend and former colleague who lives in Friendswood. Flooding in Galveston worsened yesterday but was okay by the end of the day. My church in Galveston was set to house refugees but wasn't needed. Instead, they are serving as hosts for relief workers who have come to the area, and they are serving as donation centers for supplies that are being distributed to flood victims. I suspect that is the case for other churches in the area as well.

I'm not sure people realize exactly how bad things are. Since I lived in the area and have friends there, I see a lot through their status updates. I have multiple friends who have tried to make it out to work at shelters but cannot get out of their neighborhoods due to flooding. Complete areas of town are accessible only by boat. Other friends whose houses are dry have opened their homes to neighbors whose homes are flooded. One of my friends did end up moving to higher ground, staying with a neighbor. I see posts from both sides of the political aisle bashing the other due to their alleged lack of response. This really isn't the time for that. It is going to take the Houston metro area a very long time to recover.

It shouldn't surpirse anyone around here that I have been knee deep in getting dogs OUT and back to their owners. Also getting pet supplies (crates food etc) in to the area. A smart move this time vs. Katrina is the first dogs we pulled out were dogs ALREADY in shelters - that makes room in the shelters for dogs that a hurricane refugees and increases the odds they will get back to their owner.
Great work, Windsor, and excellent advice! ^:)^
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 3rd, 2017, 8:49 am

For the last few days, my news feed has been full of pictures of friends who are either cleaning out their own flood-damaged home or helping someone else clean out a home. One friend told a cool story: they were working alongside a couple from London who had been vacationing in Galveston (finishing up a tour of TX) when Harvey hit. They were volunteering before heading home. Lots of groups of students - both high school and college age - were appearing in neighborhoods and jumping in where help was needed. One friend was cleaning out his stepmother's house and, just when he was thinking he needed help to move out the furniture, a few guys from the local high school football team showed up. Another friend's husband is the pastor of a large church in Houston. They are serving as a staging area for supplies. She posted pictures of their gym, with row upon row of free cleaning, household supplies, clothing, etc., fir flood victims. My old church in Galveston is serving as a host facility for out-of-state first responders.

IowaDevil, how did your family in Houston fare during the storm?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 3rd, 2017, 9:33 am

ArkieDukie wrote:For the last few days, my news feed has been full of pictures of friends who are either cleaning out their own flood-damaged home or helping someone else clean out a home. One friend told a cool story: they were working alongside a couple from London who had been vacationing in Galveston (finishing up a tour of TX) when Harvey hit. They were volunteering before heading home. Lots of groups of students - both high school and college age - were appearing in neighborhoods and jumping in where help was needed. One friend was cleaning out his stepmother's house and, just when he was thinking he needed help to move out the furniture, a few guys from the local high school football team showed up. Another friend's husband is the pastor of a large church in Houston. They are serving as a staging area for supplies. She posted pictures of their gym, with row upon row of free cleaning, household supplies, clothing, etc., fir flood victims. My old church in Galveston is serving as a host facility for out-of-state first responders.

That's what it's all about. Two of my PA school classmates and a college classmate are in Houston. One is posting pictures of helping her neighbors clean up. She and her family were very fortunate in that the water made it to their doorstep, but no higher. My college classmate evacuated to Waco and is waiting to return, but I am worried about the 2nd PA classmate; I haven't seen an update about her and her family in a bit. Hopefully it's just a lack of electricity and they're okay.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 4th, 2017, 8:19 am

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/new ... 8c848.html

Shout-out to the Mayor of Ridgeway for his fashion sense. (His son is a fine soccer player, and wants to play home games at Koskinen.) :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » September 4th, 2017, 8:53 am

I always struggled spelling Koskinen. I always want to put another i in there.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 5th, 2017, 10:36 am

Irma be gone

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 6th, 2017, 6:17 am

windsor wrote:Irma be gone

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
This is bad. So many people in danger. Lives have already been lost. Stay safe Windsor. :wizard: :pray:
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » September 6th, 2017, 8:57 am

ArkieDukie wrote:For the last few days, my news feed has been full of pictures of friends who are either cleaning out their own flood-damaged home or helping someone else clean out a home. One friend told a cool story: they were working alongside a couple from London who had been vacationing in Galveston (finishing up a tour of TX) when Harvey hit. They were volunteering before heading home. Lots of groups of students - both high school and college age - were appearing in neighborhoods and jumping in where help was needed. One friend was cleaning out his stepmother's house and, just when he was thinking he needed help to move out the furniture, a few guys from the local high school football team showed up. Another friend's husband is the pastor of a large church in Houston. They are serving as a staging area for supplies. She posted pictures of their gym, with row upon row of free cleaning, household supplies, clothing, etc., fir flood victims. My old church in Galveston is serving as a host facility for out-of-state first responders.

Their home was fine - ID Daughter the elementary principal's school took on some water but mostly had "roof rain". Many of their families lost everything. She & her staff have been taking donations and opening the school 4 hours a day for their families to come help themselves to things they need. They also have a teacher who graduated from Dunlap HS in Illinois who are putting together a huge donation for these families. They asked for a wish list and then went to their students/families/community. They will have a very large marching band trailer empty & filled with needed supplies. This will arrive on Thursday and on Friday there will be a huge BBQ (provided by an unknown group who just asked to do this) and give away. This has been so organized on both ends and such a huge undertaking by all. So much thanks to those who helped and EXTREMELY proud of our daughter & her organization skills! Proud Parents we are!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » September 6th, 2017, 8:58 am

windsor wrote:Irma be gone

Be safe!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 6th, 2017, 10:08 am

IowaDevil wrote:

Their home was fine - ID Daughter the elementary principal's school took on some water but mostly had "roof rain". Many of their families lost everything. She & her staff have been taking donations and opening the school 4 hours a day for their families to come help themselves to things they need. They also have a teacher who graduated from Dunlap HS in Illinois who are putting together a huge donation for these families. They asked for a wish list and then went to their students/families/community. They will have a very large marching band trailer empty & filled with needed supplies. This will arrive on Thursday and on Friday there will be a huge BBQ (provided by an unknown group who just asked to do this) and give away. This has been so organized on both ends and such a huge undertaking by all. So much thanks to those who helped and EXTREMELY proud of our daughter & her organization skills! Proud Parents we are!
The stories of ordinary people helping others is the good from the bad. If only we could all remember that there are more people like this than some of the idiots that make the news - or the news makes them.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 6th, 2017, 12:26 pm

The track to East is good for me...not so good for the Atlantic Coast of Florida and may not be good for South & North Carolina later on. Hoping for a big turn out into the open ocean.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: