LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » January 19th, 2017, 4:40 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I am beyond excited. My exit plan is picking up steam! Last Thursday evening, I got a call from BGS, who is now a postdoc at Wash U. She had info for me about a position there, in a group that does cancer immunotherapy research. These people are legit, as my niece would say. They publish in journals like Nature. I'm no dummy; I wrote an email to the director of the group on Friday. Yesterday morning I got a phone call from my former boss; who had just gotten off the phone with the director. He said this would be the perfect job for me and gave me a few insights into the group. Right after lunch today I got a phone call from the director himself, calling with a list of possible interview dates. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to St. Louis next month.

Right after that happened, I got an email for another job I applied for - they want to schedule a phone interview. This one is at Emory, and I don't think it's as good a position for me as Wash U. I'm going to do the phone interview and at least learn more.

Exciting times! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Yay! This is good stuff!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 19th, 2017, 5:01 pm

On Monday, we took Christian back to NCSU. We took our granddog with us so that Christian could introduce her to his roommate and friends. On the way back to town, we got a call that one of our church members who was in the local hospice facility was failing rapidly, and the family wanted Jon to stop by. I stayed outside and walked the granddog while Jon went inside to visit with him and his family.

The next morning, we got a telephone call that the man had passed away. I'm on the bereavement team, so I scheduled a meeting with the family that evening about plans for feeding the family before the funeral. Jon had also scheduled a meeting with the family that afternoon to plan the funeral. At 4:30, Jon pulled up to the family's home and an ambulance was outside. The crew was loading the wife onto the gurney. She had gone upstairs to grab a hymnal to refer to in planning her husband's funeral. She had fallen down the stairs and was unresponsive.

Jon went with the family to the hospital. At 7:30 that evening, the wife passed away.

It's so incredibly sad. This family lost their dad and their mom on the same day. Jon has a double funeral on Sunday.

(Ozzie, if I could tag you in this post, I would.)

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 19th, 2017, 7:09 pm

That is so sad. Prayers to the family.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 19th, 2017, 9:07 pm

CathyCA wrote:On Monday, we took Christian back to NCSU. We took our granddog with us so that Christian could introduce her to his roommate and friends. On the way back to town, we got a call that one of our church members who was in the local hospice facility was failing rapidly, and the family wanted Jon to stop by. I stayed outside and walked the granddog while Jon went inside to visit with him and his family.

The next morning, we got a telephone call that the man had passed away. I'm on the bereavement team, so I scheduled a meeting with the family that evening about plans for feeding the family before the funeral. Jon had also scheduled a meeting with the family that afternoon to plan the funeral. At 4:30, Jon pulled up to the family's home and an ambulance was outside. The crew was loading the wife onto the gurney. She had gone upstairs to grab a hymnal to refer to in planning her husband's funeral. She had fallen down the stairs and was unresponsive.

Jon went with the family to the hospital. At 7:30 that evening, the wife passed away.

It's so incredibly sad. This family lost their dad and their mom on the same day. Jon has a double funeral on Sunday.

Well, you knew I'd read it anyway. My condolences to the family. I certainly understand why you couldn't meet for dinner the other night.

Isn't it amazing how often when very long term (in terms of marriage) one spouse dies, the other follows closely behind? Of course, the same day is pushing the concept a bit.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 19th, 2017, 9:27 pm

How sad for the family. Thoughts and prayers for them.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » January 19th, 2017, 10:55 pm

I am glad you and Jon could be there for this family, Cathy.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » January 20th, 2017, 6:02 am

Such sad news, Cathy. Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 20th, 2017, 7:58 am

CathyCA wrote:On Monday, we took Christian back to NCSU. We took our granddog with us so that Christian could introduce her to his roommate and friends. On the way back to town, we got a call that one of our church members who was in the local hospice facility was failing rapidly, and the family wanted Jon to stop by. I stayed outside and walked the granddog while Jon went inside to visit with him and his family.

That is so sad! Prayers for the family.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 20th, 2017, 12:27 pm

How gratifying it must be to you and Jon to be armed and able and in a position to be of such comfort to the people you feel so deeply about. What a blessing for both you and for them.

Your contributions are on point while those of many of the rest of us are less impressive. But, if everyone does just a little bit wherever they see the need what a difference it can make.

Thanks for reminding us all that we ARE our brothers' keepers.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 20th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Prayers for the family. And prayers for you and Jon, CathyCA, as you help the family through these next days and weeks.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 21st, 2017, 9:10 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Well, you knew I'd read it anyway. My condolences to the family. I certainly understand why you couldn't meet for dinner the other night.

Isn't it amazing how often when very long term (in terms of marriage) one spouse dies, the other follows closely behind? Of course, the same day is pushing the concept a bit.
Ozzie, when I texted you that morning, I had absolutely NO idea how horribly that day was going to end for the family. It went from bad to worse.

They were high school sweethearts and had been married for 61 years. They did everything together, even death.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/reflec ... =183667674

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » January 23rd, 2017, 11:39 am

So, here in LV with friends from work. Duke is a 16.5 point favorite, with the over under at 160.5. No idea what to do...
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » January 23rd, 2017, 9:29 pm

Well, that stunk both in result and financially.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 24th, 2017, 10:51 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Well, that stunk both in result and financially.
Rats - was hoping you at least made some money.
Life is good!
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » January 24th, 2017, 10:55 am

How sad for that family! Glad you were there to offer support. Will keep them in my prayers!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 24th, 2017, 1:37 pm

IowaDevil wrote:

How sad for that family! Glad you were there to offer support. Will keep them in my prayers!
At the visitation following the funeral on Sunday, one of the family members introduced me to another one by saying, "This is Harper's grandma." I've now achieved a new status: I'm known as a dog grandmother. :O3

~ James Naismith
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 26th, 2017, 7:14 am

My iPad died when I first got to Texas. I now have a Kindle Fire 10.1. So far I like it.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 26th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Dammit, Duhon!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 26th, 2017, 5:35 pm

Duhon, that's sad for you. I sure hope you get your act together.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 28th, 2017, 8:04 am

As the Bunsen Burns
First thing yesterday, The Boss showed up in my office to share the news that RR has resigned, effective Feb. 10. He wanted an inventory of equipment in her lab, as well as status on all her equipment. The other bit of news I got is that I have to move out of my office and into hers; my office is going to one of the army of administrators that we seem to employ. So, yeah, she's out - exactly 6 months after saying she was coming back here full-time. Color me surprised.

I'm going to be taking over RR's instruments and will get bench space in her lab "to do departmental projects." First thing on Feb 11 (I'm guessing he means Feb. 13), I'm supposed to be in the lab, getting the instrument operational. Later in the day, while talking to the regional service manager, I learned that WEC's wife told them she's going to be running the instrument. So, unless I miss my guess, I've just been sold down the river to work as WEC's technician, and departmental projects = WEC projects. Because of the sources of my salary, there's absolutely nothing I can do about it except GTFO. Good thing I have a promising job interview on Feb 8.

Had supper last night with my local group of work friends, none of whom know about my interview. Doogie, who had finagled a deal with RR before she left to use her instrument, was in the group. RR had told them that Boris (who no longer works for her!!!) would train his technician on how to use the instrument. Idiot Doogie let RR make his technician the contact person for his lab, so she has a key. (Note: that lab space will be mine for as long as I am here, and I will get that key back. Doogie will help himself to whatever is in that lab. He has entitlement issues, bless him.) So...yesterday, Boris went upstairs to tell said technician that she would have to go through me to use the instrument. She went to Doogie in a panic about this. Apparently RR has convinced the technician that I am evil and not to be trusted. Since I ratted her out for using MacGyver's instrument without his permission, she was easily swayed. Full story is that she was in his lab, using his instrument for hours at a time, and his grad student was taking time away from his work to help her. Oh, and she went through hundreds of dollars of supplies, too. So, yeah, maybe I am evil and not to be trusted.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein