LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by bjornolf » July 7th, 2016, 1:03 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:It's been a whirlwind few weeks. First off, as of a week and a half ago, I no longer own my old condo (yay!). On the day that deal went through, I found out that the appraisal for the property I was trying to buy here came in $20k low. The buyers wouldn't budge on their price, and I couldn't/wouldn't make up the difference, so the deal fell thru. Not a bad thing, since the other property is out of the way, so I started looking again. Didn't take me long to find this gem: http://www.har.com/37-lebrun-ct/sale_35042750. Based on my realtor's homework on comps, it is overpriced. I negotiated them down a bit and am now officially under contract! Hopefully the appraisal will be good this time, since I'm supposed to be out of my apartment by Aug 1. I love this house. It has a grapefruit tree in the yard! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: The other big selling point is that there is room for company! It is huge for just me, but it will be nice to have the space.
Great house! Congrats! I love Galveston! The truck makes it, though. Now you need to get one. :D
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » July 7th, 2016, 7:05 pm

AD it is beautiful! Bet you'll be on a furniture hunt soon! Enjoy! :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 8th, 2016, 8:38 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I'm anticipating retirement in 12 years.
And then?
That is the question...
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 11th, 2016, 4:11 pm

...a post, for no apparent reason.

PT_Post.JPG
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 13th, 2016, 8:11 pm

windsor wrote:...a post, for no apparent reason.

PT_Post.JPG
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 17th, 2016, 7:16 am

bjornolf wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:It's been a whirlwind few weeks. First off, as of a week and a half ago, I no longer own my old condo (yay!). On the day that deal went through, I found out that the appraisal for the property I was trying to buy here came in $20k low. The buyers wouldn't budge on their price, and I couldn't/wouldn't make up the difference, so the deal fell thru. Not a bad thing, since the other property is out of the way, so I started looking again. Didn't take me long to find this gem: http://www.har.com/37-lebrun-ct/sale_35042750. Based on my realtor's homework on comps, it is overpriced. I negotiated them down a bit and am now officially under contract! Hopefully the appraisal will be good this time, since I'm supposed to be out of my apartment by Aug 1. I love this house. It has a grapefruit tree in the yard! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: The other big selling point is that there is room for company! It is huge for just me, but it will be nice to have the space.
Great house! Congrats! I love Galveston! The truck makes it, though. Now you need to get one. :D
As of yesterday, house go bye-bye. There were some good reasons. On Monday, just before meeting with a contractor to get an estimate on repairs, I got a call from my realtor. Apparently the owners had gotten a cash offer for the house that they really liked, so they were not going to be receptive to any requests for repairs. :-o When I showed up at the house, the contractor was already there. Apparently the owner was there when he arrived. He got pretty snotty with the contractor, once he said why he was there. Told him to find a long list of repairs because they really wanted out of the deal with me. :-o Jerk. Contractor's estimate wasn't too bad, so I was thinking I might have 2 letters for the owner and his cash buyer. Then comes the estimate for the broken windows, and it is NOT cheap. Couple that with an active termite infestation and the fact that the AC has been out in the house for 2 weeks, and I decided to bow out. A big part of me hopes that the cash buyer gets an inspection and estimates and also backs out. It would be great karmic justice.

Since I must be out of my apartment by the first of August, I'm going to look for a place to lease. I'm done with the local real estate market. When you have people knowingly listing at well above appraised value, and crazy people willing to pay - and getting into bidding wars, the market is just too crazy for me. I'll wait for the prices to crash like they did the last time this happened.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 17th, 2016, 8:57 am

Dang. I'm sorry that your offer fell through. On the other hand, you don't need to buy termites and their damage. Better things await you, Arkie D!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 17th, 2016, 9:47 am

Had a fun time last night with some coworkers at the local Art Walk. One of the colleagues was MacGyver, and he brought his new roomie: his girlfriend who is less than half his age. :twitch: Aside from Boris, the next person closest to her age was another colleague's 7 year old daughter. Ho. Ly. Cow. MacGyver has raved about how mature she is, but I didn't see it. She does seem nice enough, but I didn't see the mature part. Once she met all of us, she immediately asked where MacGyver's grad student was. He and his wife are about the same age as new girlfriend. In any event, I'm going to need to keep LOTS of popcorn on hand. It would be nice for MacGyver if this worked out, but I'm not sure I see that happening.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 17th, 2016, 12:06 pm

MacGyver has raved about how mature she is, but I didn't see it.
She is mature. She knows her way around the bedroom! :x And other rooms around the house! :ymdevil: B-) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 17th, 2016, 5:50 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
She is mature. She knows her way around the bedroom! :x And other rooms around the house! :ymdevil: B-) :9f:
Probably not the kitchen and the laundry. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 17th, 2016, 10:34 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Had a fun time last night with some coworkers at the local Art Walk. One of the colleagues was MacGyver, and he brought his new roomie: his girlfriend who is less than half his age. :twitch: Aside from Boris, the next person closest to her age was another colleague's 7 year old daughter. Ho. Ly. Cow. MacGyver has raved about how mature she is, but I didn't see it. She does seem nice enough, but I didn't see the mature part. Once she met all of us, she immediately asked where MacGyver's grad student was. He and his wife are about the same age as new girlfriend. In any event, I'm going to need to keep LOTS of popcorn on hand. It would be nice for MacGyver if this worked out, but I'm not sure I see that happening.
The *RULE* is "half your age plus seven." Anything less than that is creepy.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 17th, 2016, 10:49 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Probably not the kitchen and the laundry. :9f:
LG, I actually redacted those very exclusions. I didn't want to sound sexist! LOL :ymdevil:

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 17th, 2016, 11:14 pm

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Had a fun time last night with some coworkers at the local Art Walk. One of the colleagues was MacGyver, and he brought his new roomie: his girlfriend who is less than half his age. :twitch: Aside from Boris, the next person closest to her age was another colleague's 7 year old daughter. Ho. Ly. Cow. MacGyver has raved about how mature she is, but I didn't see it. She does seem nice enough, but I didn't see the mature part. Once she met all of us, she immediately asked where MacGyver's grad student was. He and his wife are about the same age as new girlfriend. In any event, I'm going to need to keep LOTS of popcorn on hand. It would be nice for MacGyver if this worked out, but I'm not sure I see that happening.

Yep. Creepy.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 18th, 2016, 8:52 am

CathyCA wrote:

I thought that was the "cougar rule". For guys being creepy, I thought it was (1/2)x-7, unless that is <21. Then it is just x/2, not to go <21, until you get down to 22 for the guy. Then it's x-2, never to go <18. If you are under 19, it gets dicey if she's <x-1. Oh, and NEVER date someone younger than one of your children, cause that's just wrong, as a guy with a widower for a dad. Not that my dad ever did that, I just don't wanna think about it. :ymsick:
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 18th, 2016, 9:22 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Probably not the kitchen and the laundry. :9f:
LG, I actually redacted those very exclusions. I didn't want to sound sexist! LOL :ymdevil:
I'm a feminist, but also a realist. X(
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 18th, 2016, 10:47 am

bjornolf wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

I thought that was the "cougar rule". For guys being creepy, I thought it was (1/2)x-7, unless that is <21. Then it is just x/2, not to go <21, until you get down to 22 for the guy. Then it's x-2, never to go <18. If you are under 19, it gets dicey if she's <x-1. Oh, and NEVER date someone younger than one of your children, cause that's just wrong, as a guy with a widower for a dad. Not that my dad ever did that, I just don't wanna think about it. :ymsick:
OMG--you listed all of the corrollaries, Bjornolf! :ymsick:

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 18th, 2016, 7:25 pm

MacGyver's situation is not creepy based on bjornolf's rules. Of course, this might lead to a philosophical question on why there are gender-based rules.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 19th, 2016, 6:42 am

ArkieDukie wrote:MacGyver's situation is not creepy based on bjornolf's rules. Of course, this might lead to a philosophical question on why there are gender-based rules.
A guy on the prowl (in a bar) will have sex with any woman he can (who says yes), a woman can have sex with any man she wants to. Old proverb. :ymdevil:

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 19th, 2016, 6:44 am

Gender based? A cougar isn't creepy. At least I never thought so. I would say for creepy, similar rules would apply to women as men. I don't think a 40 year old guy with a 26 year old woman is anywhere close to creepy. Nor do I think a 40 year old woman with a 26 year old guy is creepy. Both may be a little unusual, but not creepy.

Also, I think the men's rules are based at least partly on the fact that women (adult women) are often considered to be around 7 years older than men of the same age from an emotional maturity viewpoint. That and many dudes are perceived to be superficial jerks, though that may be related.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » July 19th, 2016, 9:21 am

You guys are sooooo deep. ;;)
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe