Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 29th, 2013, 11:13 am

devildeac wrote:
August West wrote:
devildeac wrote:The afternoon tasting actually started off with the Pumpking from Southern Tier but, as I arrived too late for the sampling, I shall not review it but simply shed a few tears lamenting our tardy appearance :(( . Maybe we can get August West or dpslaw to provide a summary ;;) .
It will have to be dpslaw as he and Tom had polished it off before I arrived. :( AW. :D
Damn. That's about 9% ABV and those two rascals finished it before you arrived :-o !? No wonder their requests for sample sizes got smaller as the afternoon progressed! :))
I actually had the last 1/4" of that. I don't particularly care for pumpkin (pie, etc.), but this was surprisingly pleasant! Light, bubbly, crisp, with a light pumpkin flavor, definitely not overwhelming. dpslaw and Tom did drink the rest of the bomber! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 29th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Event Horizon (2010)-Olde Hickory Brewing

Drink local!

Fuse was not there physically but his contribution via this wax-sealed bomber several months ago at a trading session qualified him to be there in spirit(s). This is am imperial stout made with honey and aged in bourbon barrels. Poured an oily (10W-30 style), almost pitch black elixir with a small tan head with alluring smells of cocoa, dark chocolate and moderately roasted coffee. No other additives beside the honey are listed. Tastes matched the smells with some molasses, dark caramel and finishing with whiskey. I'd guess the IBU at 50-60, as with most RIS brews, and the ABV was 10%, on par with expectations. I think we were enjoying the blackberry and red raspberry cobblers by this time and made a very pleasing combination. Would also be outstanding with dark chocolate creations or by itself from a snifter as a nightcap. Received a 100 on ratebeer. A prolonged tip of the chalice to fuse again.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 29th, 2013, 9:10 pm

Warlock-Southern Tier Brewing

Pumking's dark side. Part of their Blackwater Series, this imperial stout really is more of an imperial porter as the color is closer to mahogany brown and not midnight black and the consistency is a bit thinner than a RIS should be. That's not to detract from the quality either as this is like liquid pumpkin bread (but no spices) baked with coffee beans and dark chocolate chunks (thought there is no sludge in the last 30 ml of this bomber). Ale yeast, two hops, four malts plus pumpkins comprise the ingredients. I'd guess the IBU in the 50 range and we dropped down a bit in ABV with this selection to 8.6%. August West kindly provided this dessert brew. Have it alone or with any spiced cakes.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 29th, 2013, 9:26 pm

And the final entry of the day:

Tripel Overhead Bourbon Barrel Aged (2011)-Mother Earth Brewing

Drink local!

Once again, this is a brew from fuse from a trading session several months ago and dated May, 2011, so not only was this aged for several months in old bourbon barrels, it aged another couple years in his garage/cellar/fridge and and another couple or three months in my beer storage facility. Poured a cloudy orange-amber with a lovely nose of orange zest, flowers, a pinch of black pepper from the Belgian yeast, and a bit of booze. Tastes match the aromas along with some vanilla from the barrel aging and moderate sweetness from the likely addition of candi sugar to the brewing process. I'd guess the IBU in the 30 range as it is a triple and the ABV was 9.5%, IIRC from the end of the highly successful tasting session.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 29th, 2013, 9:47 pm

devildeac wrote:Oatmeal Yeti-Great Divide Brewing

The 6th offspring of the Yeti family, this one has the typical onyx-colored, viscous, oily pour and mouthfeel of any imperial stout. Where this one differs is with the addition of oatmeal to the grain base which imparts a very smooth (CathyCA nailed this one) texture to the palate. Luscious aromas of espresso, dark chocolate and booze with tastes of the same plus a very pleasant molasses-like sweetness, too. The addition of raisins contributes to the perception of dark fruits. I'd guess the IBU about 60, standard for the style. The ABV is 9.5%, also in-line with an imperial stout. We sipped and shared this bomber (probably about $10) from dpslaw along with nibbling on slices of chocolate-iced cinnamon streusel pound cake. This was an outstanding selection!
I liked this one. It was smooth, with tones of espresso and dark chocolate. I didn't taste raisins.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 29th, 2013, 9:49 pm

devildeac wrote:And the final entry of the day:

Drink local!

Once again, this is a brew from fuse from a trading session several months ago and dated May, 2011, so not only was this aged for several months in old bourbon barrels, it aged another couple years in his garage/cellar/fridge and and another couple or three months in my beer storage facility. Poured a cloudy orange-amber with a lovely nose of orange zest, flowers, a pinch of black pepper from the Belgian yeast, and a bit of booze. Tastes match the aromas along with some vanilla from the barrel aging and moderate sweetness from the likely addition of candi sugar to the brewing process. I'd guess the IBU in the 30 range as it is a triple and the ABV was 9.5%, IIRC from the end of the highly successful tasting session.
Is this the one that I thought tasted like molasses? I didn't realize that it was from Mother Earth, one of my local breweries.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 30th, 2013, 10:17 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:And the final entry of the day:

Drink local!

Is this the one that I thought tasted like molasses? I didn't realize that it was from Mother Earth, one of my local breweries.

No, I believe the one you thought tasted like molasses was Event Horizon from Olde Hickory brewing in Hickory, NC. Could have been Warlock, too, but I think that was later in the tasting session. The Oatmeal Yeti also might have had a molasses taste.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 1st, 2013, 8:16 am

I toasted chipslate the other day with a two-year old bottle of Wheach the other day at Brunchgate.

Surprisingly, it was still really nice. :-BD
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 1st, 2013, 11:15 pm

Rumble-Great Divide Brewing

This is another fine ale from an excellent brewery. I got this for $2 off on a close out from Total Wine last week plus another buck off with a coupon so $9 for the 6er. Pretty good price. It is an oak aged IPA and poured an orange-amber with a modest head. Nice notes of citrus, pine, vanilla and light brown sugar, with both aromas and tastes. The oak aging smooths out the rough edges of the expected IPA bitterness. Couldn't find and IBU number but I'd guess 60 and the ABV is 7.1% so a good balance. Would match well with just about anything a bit on the spicy side off the grill or from the wok. I'm sticking one of these in fuse's trading box.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 3rd, 2013, 10:16 pm

Eighteen-Weyerbacher Brewing

Another anniversary ale and another excellent creation. This year it's a weizendoppelbock. Well, technically I guess at 11.1% ABV it should be called an imperial weizendoppelbock as most double bocks are 8-9% ABV. Five malts, including two wheat varieties, comprise the grain base and impart fruity esters, banana, cloves and citrus in addition to a creamy milk chocolate-y and toasted bready mouth feel. Little hop presence, guessing IBU in the 20-30 range. Poured a cloudy brown color with a small head, this is liquid dessert or a nice beverage to serve with apple or peach cobblers. Purchased at Total Wine last week for about $12 for the 4 pack. Buy the package and trade/share with friends.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 3rd, 2013, 10:29 pm

Punkin Ale-Dogfish Head Brewing

Believe it or not, this is their original ale, brewed and released for an annual Punkin Chunkin contest, this brew debuted in 1994, six months before they were actually in business. It's a brown ale base with the expected spices of allspice, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. The blend is not overpowering and the pumpkin presence is rather subtle. IBUs are listed at 28 and the ABV is 7% so I'm not sure I'm going to taste anything else tonight. This remains one of my favorite fall/pumpkin brews. Received as a trader for a future draft (or bottle) choice from August West at the Troy Brunchgate. Return payment will have to be at the NCSU FB game next month.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 5th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Monk's Revenge-Terrapin Brewing Company

I think this is one of their best offerings yet, mostly because of the marriage of 2 different styles of ales and its variety of flavors. The esters of a triple with some cloves, bananas and dark fruits and also the knock your tongue off hops of an IIPA. There's a bit of pine and citrus on the palate here. If I were to pair this, I think it would be with spicy, peppery foods like curry or a mildly fiery salsa topping with some grilled fish. I enjoyed it plain and found all the aromas and flavors to be quite challenging to discern and pleasant to enjoy. The ABV is 9.6% and, from the web site, the IBU are a less menacing 82 compared to the 2011 version so it is NOT for the faint of palate.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 5th, 2013, 8:08 pm

Scythe and Sickle-Ommegang Brewing

Labeled one of their historical ales, this is basically a Belgian amber ale (think Palm or Kwak) only better. Made smoother by the addition of oats to the grain bill, plus a bit of upstate NY rye for a bit of mustiness, along with wheat for a hint of citrus. Poured a slightly cloudy light brown with a creamy tan head, the hops had minimal presence here with light floral notes. I'd guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV is 5.8% so a nice starter beer with a dinner of grilled salmon, shrimp and avocado salad, Caesar salad and some of Mrs. DD's smashed redskin potatoes with a dollop of sour cream and a hefty dose of Parmesan cheese. (Eat your heart out, OPK and others discussing mashed potatoes on the LTE.) Sold as a 4 pack at Total Wine for about $8 I think less their buck off coupon last month.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 5th, 2013, 8:18 pm

61-Dogfish Head Brewing

I'll be lazy here and let the PR department at DFH summarize this one first:

"Sixty-One, our first new core beer since 2007, was born at the crossroads of serendipity, experimentation and brotherhood.

Whenever Dogfish Head President Sam Calagione and his neighborhood friends gather for drinks, they give each other a big ol' man-hug and order a round of 60 Minute IPA. A few years ago, Sam also ordered a glass of his favorite red wine and poured a little into each pint of 60 Minute. They all dug the combination of fruity complexity and pungent hoppiness, and the blend became a beloved tradition.

Sixty-One captures that tradition in a bottle and marries two Dogfish Head innovations: beer/wine hybrids -- which Dogfish has focused on for well over a decade with beers like Midas Touch and Raison D'être -- and continually-hopped IPAs.

The name Sixty-One is a reminder that this beer is Dogfish Head’s best-selling 60 Minute IPA plus one new ingredient: syrah grape must from California. The label, painted by Sam, is a twist on a typical watercolor. Rather than using water, Sam mixed the green pigment with beer and the red pigment with wine. And because Sixty-One pairs so well
with chocolate, he painted the browns on the label with melted chocolate."

My thoughts:

Interesting concept and an enjoyable one, too. Poured a pinkish-reddish-orange with a rather small head, the nose was light citrus/grapefruit, as it is basically their 60 IPA, with tastes of the same with hints of tannin, raspberries and black cherries from the Syrah grapes. Our older son-in-law and I shared a 12 ounce bottle after the Scythe and Sickle. I'd guess it is about 60 IBU with the ABV at 6.5% so a nice balance. Purchased at Total Wine for about $9, less the buck off coupon last month.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 5th, 2013, 8:43 pm

Nosferatu-Great Lakes Brewing

Ahh, their higher gravity ales have made their way south. This is a generously hopped imperial red ale (Killian's on PED) with a raspberry-brown pour and a small off-white head with a bouquet of floral aromas and tastes of pine and milk chocolate covered cherries with a caramel filling. They achieved a nice balance as the IBUs are rather high at 70 for a red ale (I did say generously hopped above.) and lots and lots of grain as the ABV is 8%, also quite high for a red ale. This would make a nice brew to have with spicy/hot dishes or BBQ fare from the grill.
dpslaw
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by dpslaw » October 7th, 2013, 5:42 pm

Sorry about the Pumking. Since Tom really likes it (much more than anything else he or I brought), he decided to make it the primary beer of the day.

This week, appropriately enough, he's bringing breakfast stout! I'm sure he will happily share.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 7th, 2013, 5:53 pm

dpslaw wrote:Sorry about the Pumking. Since Tom really likes it (much more than anything else he or I brought), he decided to make it the primary beer of the day.

This week, appropriately enough, he's bringing breakfast stout! I'm sure he will happily share.
No apology needed. Unfortunately, I am on call and will miss the Navy tailgate :(( .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 7th, 2013, 6:07 pm

From April, 2010:

Pere Jacques-Goose Island Brewing

I have found another wonderful Belgian style dubbel ale from a US brewer. This silky, golden-brown ale retains its foamy and fizzy head fairly well and has aromas and tastes of medium to dark brown sugar, dried raisins and cherries and perhaps a bit of dark rum. Saaz hops (from the web site) appear to be the only variety and the IBU is low at 26. Five malts are listed and I was a bit surprised to read that wheat and rye were used. ABV is 8% which is fairly standard for a Belgian brown ale. This would be great with a dried fruit tray pre-meal, some sweeter style BBQ or grilled fish/chicken with a fruit salsa/compote, with a hunk of rum/caramel cake for dessert or by itself in a goblet. CB&B got one of these as part of his Liquor Barn order today so I'll be waiting for his thoughts, too.

From last PM-the 2013 version:

Fortunately, they haven't changed this much over 3.5 years, especially since the new owners of the Goose Island Brewing Company took over as discussed a few pages back on this thread. I found a 4 pack of this at Total Wine last week for about $9 less their buck off coupon, marking the first time I have seen the high gravity GI products since the national conglomerate was announced. The addition of candy sugar imparts a little extra sweetness to the final product and the ABV is up to 8.7% on this year's release. Definitely worth seeking out to sip and share.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 8th, 2013, 2:09 pm

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 8th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Clementine-Ipswich Brewing (aka Clown Shoes Beers)

Oh, my darlin'. I bought a 4 pack of this at Total Wine a couple weeks ago for about $7-8 and got another buck off with a coupon so not a bad choice. It's a Belgian style white ale and poured a cloudy orange hue with a foamy/fizzy head. Not surprisingly, it smelled like a blended OJ from a combination of the clementine essence, sweet orange peel and wheat as part of the grain bill. A bit of spice from the coriander adds some interest to the tasting and it tasted about the same but with a modest bitterness, almost like the seeds had been crushed and included in the final product for consumption. I'd guess IBUs about 20-30 based on the style and mouthfeel and the ABV is 6%, a tad high for the style. I drank this a day late as the temperatures dropped last PM as fall moved into the Triangle area. This would make an enjoyable pre-dinner brew with some fruit and/or soft cheeses.