an interesting dilemma...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: an interesting dilemma...

Post by ArkieDukie » August 6th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:How long has it been since you've had a vacation from these idiots? Any time coming? You need it.
Love, Ima
Actually, I have around 20 days of vacation time built up. Am trying to save it for interviews and such, but a week off may be a good thing.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 6th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Someone asked in LTE if the conference I'm attending has been good for networking. After today, I'd give a resounding yes. During a panel discussion, another Wash U person gave me a shout-out for the data I gathered for the cancer grant. Lots of big names in the room, and the shout-out came from someone even more well-respected than my boss. Had a great conversation afterward with someone I'd love to work with. I got a card from her, too. :happy-bouncyblue:

Ironically, if my boss hadn't skipped out, he would've been the one getting the shout-out. :ymdevil: =))
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 6th, 2011, 11:33 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Someone asked in LTE if the conference I'm attending has been good for networking. After today, I'd give a resounding yes. During a panel discussion, another Wash U person gave me a shout-out for the data I gathered for the cancer grant. Lots of big names in the room, and the shout-out came from someone even more well-respected than my boss. Had a great conversation afterward with someone I'd love to work with. I got a card from her, too. :happy-bouncyblue:

Ironically, if my boss hadn't skipped out, he would've been the one getting the shout-out. :ymdevil: =))

Gotta love karm, don't you?
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 8th, 2011, 8:53 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Someone asked in LTE if the conference I'm attending has been good for networking. After today, I'd give a resounding yes. During a panel discussion, another Wash U person gave me a shout-out for the data I gathered for the cancer grant. Lots of big names in the room, and the shout-out came from someone even more well-respected than my boss. Had a great conversation afterward with someone I'd love to work with. I got a card from her, too. :happy-bouncyblue:

Gotta love karm, don't you?
Umm, I sense bad things from the bossman once he hears word about this incident.

WHEN is the next job performance evaluation, Arkie?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 8th, 2011, 4:33 pm

More vibes coming for a job with the lady you would love to work with. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2011, 7:04 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Another twist in the plot: I received an e-mail from Pushy PI today regarding a second manuscript that's being sent out; my boss and The Minion were copied. He repeated the invitation to return my name to the other manuscript "as we discussed in our meeting." As an added bonus, "we removed (the questionable data) as you suggested and changed the sequence coverage accordingly." He also made a point of saying that they had changed another issue that I was concerned with.

Here's the thing: neither of those statements is true, based upon an initial reading of the manuscript. Either PPI thinks I'm gullible or he was snowed by The Minion, who was supposed to make the changes and didn't. He just gave me additional ammo for Academic Integrity and he doesn't even know it! :ymdevil:

I think my best path here is an oh-so-sweet-and-innocent response to point out that, in fact, neither of those points was addressed in the version of the manuscript that I received, citing specific places in the manuscript where there's erroneous information. I may point out a few other inconsistencies as well. If nothing else, it gives me additional documentation for Academic Integrity. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts here, windsor and Lavabe - others as well, of course.
I agree with your planned response. I'd be sure to state where and how HE, PPI, made changes. At that point, you will then know for sure who did what. I really think Minion has not done the changes that PPI requested. Another possibility is that he just asked your boss, without checking the stuff himself. Clearly, your boss has disregarded you in several ways.

Honestly, I now feel as though there's a slim chance they CAN make the changes on the manuscript.
Threw the first soft lob today (is this the right version? It still says x, y, z rather than a, b, c.) Waiting for a response. :whistle: :whistle: :-w
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 9th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Well done grasshoper! I also await the response...although I expect to hear only chirping crickets.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2011, 11:07 pm

windsor wrote:Well done grasshoper! I also await the response...although I expect to hear only chirping crickets.
I just received my response from Pushy PI. Lots of smoke and mirrors. In fact, doofus challenged me on a point for which I'm correct. Time for the well-crafted "thanks but no thanks." I'll list the rest of my points and then make an appointment with Academic Integrity. Now for the question: should I blind carbon copy AI on my response to Pushy PI?

ETA: I just sent my "Jane, you ignorant slut" response to Pushy PI. It was such fun! I left out the "thanks but no thanks" for now, just because this one was so much fun. It's always fun to use the facts to point out to an arrogant person that they are incorrect. :ymdevil: :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 10th, 2011, 8:35 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:Well done grasshoper! I also await the response...although I expect to hear only chirping crickets.
I just received my response from Pushy PI. Lots of smoke and mirrors. In fact, doofus challenged me on a point for which I'm correct. Time for the well-crafted "thanks but no thanks." I'll list the rest of my points and then make an appointment with Academic Integrity. Now for the question: should I blind carbon copy AI on my response to Pushy PI?

ETA: I just sent my "Jane, you ignorant slut" response to Pushy PI. It was such fun! I left out the "thanks but no thanks" for now, just because this one was so much fun. It's always fun to use the facts to point out to an arrogant person that they are incorrect. :ymdevil: :9f:
I tend to NOT blind copy out of the blue...if AI is unaware of the goings on I wouldn't BC them..but forward it to them after you meet.

I love beating the arrogant ignorants over the head with cold hard facts. :D :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 10th, 2011, 8:51 am

Well... that's an interesting bit of news, Arkie. PushyPI responded to you after hours. That would seem to be good in several respects:
1) I doubt he contacted Minion and Bossman. HE actually responded.
2) He responded after hours. That's a good sign, in terms of being able to talk with someone. When was the last time Bossman responded with some thought after hours? When was the last time Bossman responded directly to some criticism?
3) He did not wait to respond.

On the other hand, you still have differences.

Proceed with windsor's plan. However, I think there is a smidgen of hope.
Thank goodness you have access to Academic Integrity.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 10th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Lavabe wrote:Well... that's an interesting bit of news, Arkie. PushyPI responded to you after hours. That would seem to be good in several respects:
1) I doubt he contacted Minion and Bossman. HE actually responded.
2) He responded after hours. That's a good sign, in terms of being able to talk with someone. When was the last time Bossman responded with some thought after hours? When was the last time Bossman responded directly to some criticism?
3) He did not wait to respond.

On the other hand, you still have differences.

Proceed with windsor's plan. However, I think there is a smidgen of hope.
Thank goodness you have access to Academic Integrity.
Based upon the verbiage of his response, I suspect that he had input from The Minion. That's what made the response so much fun. I could be wrong, though. And, yes, it is nice that he responded after a few hours. This does show some degree of concern for having things right. Later actions might change that impression. Chapters to come...
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 10th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Today was quite an eventful day "As the Manuscript Turns." When we last left off, I had sent an e-mail to Pushy PI in response to a message from him in which he told me I was incorrect in a point I had made regarding their data. I responded with the hard facts. Here's where our tale resumes:

Crickets, until late this afternoon. Pushy PI acknowledged that I was correct and agreed to change this point in the galley proofs, assuming the manuscript is accepted for publication. Chalk one up for me.

I sent a second e-mail this morning, in which I pointed out an additional technical problem, supported by facts. I closed with windsor's suggested "thanks but no thanks" statement and followed with an "as per our discussion" statement about perception in the field being that I did the data analysis when did not. That was followed by something like "I was excluded (probably a bad word choice - should've said wasn't involved) from the revision process and am unfamiliar with the data." I closed with a statement about it being in my best interest professionally to leave my name off the manuscript, since there are several statements in the manuscript that I'm not comfortable with. This was copied to The Minion and my boss, as were all messages to this point.

Crickets, until shortly after I received Reply the First. This message was copied only to my boss; The Minion was left out. Blah, blah, respects my decision. Blah, blah, they're correct on additional technical issue but will make slight wording change in galley proofs. Blah, blah, I was "excluded" after I asked to be removed. Now, here's where things get interesting: PPI and The Minion went through their approach with my boss, and he agrees with him. They have to rely on the expertise of the senior person. Okay, is it just me, or did my boss just get thrown under the bus in a message that he was copied on? An added bonus for PPI, of course, was the not-so-subtle, simultaneous slap in my face: I don't know as much as my boss. (They know as well as I do that there's no way my boss was going to side with me over them, but that's another issue altogether.)

I sent a reply to PPI (not copying my boss) in which I corrected the whole "I was excluded only after I asked to be removed" statement. I pointed out that I was left out of the last 1-2 weeks of meetings AFTER I sent my revisions to the penultimate draft of the manuscript. I then stated that I asked for my name to be removed after I received the final draft and saw that none of my concerns had been addressed. I think I said something about this being the less contentious route since I was clearly the only person who disagreed philosophically with the presentation. I then dropped the bombshell of the MAIN reasons why I pulled my name - the reasons that, IMO, constitute data falsification. I also included the "these aren't real replicates" concern from the current draft, complete with documentation. Altogether, I believe windsor would approve of the wording. Nice, objective, and supported with facts. I closed with an "if I had been involved in the revision, I would've suggested XX" statement regarding technical issue X that was the subject of the second e-mail, just because I could. Maybe I should've left that out. It sure was fun to include, though. :ymdevil:

I had originally included a paragraph in which I expressed my feelings about them making changes behind my back and letting me find out when I received a draft of the manuscript. I believe I used the word "disrespectful" and included a statement about this behavior being unprofessional and not creating a trusting environment. After reading it, I decided to remove it. The current paper trail is, IMO, better served by leaving out emotional response to their unprofessional behavior.

Okay, now I think I have created a suitable paper trail for the Academic Integrity office. After I deal with a couple of errands and chores, I will be sending them an e-mail and requesting a meeting.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 10th, 2011, 7:17 pm

This just gets better and better! I'd pay to see the movie, or read the book! B-) I hope (and think) that Windsor will approve of your actions, at least to the 90+ percentile, which is pretty damn good! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 10th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Windsor indeed approves. It is of critical importance in an e-mail to maintain a professional tone (even when arrows are getting fired in your direction) and keep on point. My personal rule is to read over an e-mail chain and play "whose the asshole" - that is, I make sure that if read by a neutral party I am not the person who looks like the asshole...this is particularly true when I am in fact BEING an asshole. I have been known to bait people into responses that will guarantee they wear the a-hole crown.

You always defend yourself in these situations in a passive tone, even when what you want to do is call someone a liar and a waste of skin. "Perhaps you misunderstood", "I recall that so and so said", "maybe you were not aware' 'perhaps you were not there when we discussed...' all work nicely.

I have no doubt that you did this, since you knew something PPI did not - that the e-mail will probably end up in the hands of AI. Snort. Chuckle.

If PPI brings up the 'your boss approved the methods' again the passive response is "I realize that Boss approved the methods. I do not think for a moment that I have control of or final say in how we conduct research here, that is Boss' decision, and while I may not agree, as a professional I have to respect his choices. Including my name represents implied consent to the methods and agreement with the findings. Since clearly we have some disagreement I have chosen to leave my name off the manuscript. I appreciate your understanding and respecting that decision." or something like that. That kind of statement I look on as a terminator. There is no further discussion after that. If the other party tries to beat the now dead horse you fire that back with an "as I have said....". It fries people's cookies because they can not argue or defend themselves because the door has been shut.

I find it interesting that the minion was not copied on e-mail number two...that leads me to believe there was at least one e-mail from Minion that you were not copied on. I would expect it was not very nice...and PPI dropped her off the second one so as not to have to hear it again.

I will be very interested in hearing what AI has to say (I do struggle not to mentally think Artificial Intelligence when I type AI) and what response you get to your last missive.

Well done my young apprentice. :D :D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 10th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Thanks, windsor! I like the "Who's the asshole" approach - I will have to remember that in the future.

In support of your theory about The Minion, there was a brief, closed-door meeting between my boss and The Minion this afternoon, shortly before I started receiving e-mails. I forgot to mention this point earlier. I'm sure that much discussion ensued from my e-mail first thing this morning. They probably conferred a bit, and The Minion gave her boss the go on sending the messages to me.

After reading my e-mail again, I wish I had waited to cool off a bit before sending it. Overall the tone is okay, but the word "I" is in there a few too many times. And the last sentence really does mess up the tone of the message. I should've left it out. The message would've been much better without it. Make me sound like the asshole IMO. Drat it.

I do like your suggestion for how to address the whole "your boss agreed with us, and he's the ultimate authority" point. If the occasion warrants it, I may open this thread and paraphrase your language. :D
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 10th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Gutsy, but well done. Maintain your demeanor. Windsor's "don't be the asshole" approach is VITAL for Academic Integrity.

IMHO, at this point, PPI knows that AI may be brought in, and has already brought up how they will defend themselves -- Bossman knows more than you. It won't fly. Trouble is, PushyPI knows it won't fly. He has to come up with an email that states why it is not data falsification.

PPI is your lone hope (short of AI) to change the manuscript. And he won't, because Bossman says so. My hope is that AI (or the threat of AI) will let them know that they must address your concerns.

windsor: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :-BD :-BD :-BD ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 10th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Lavabe wrote:Gutsy, but well done. Maintain your demeanor. Windsor's "don't be the asshole" approach is VITAL for Academic Integrity.

IMHO, at this point, PPI knows that AI may be brought in, and has already brought up how they will defend themselves -- Bossman knows more than you. It won't fly. Trouble is, PushyPI knows it won't fly. He has to come up with an email that states why it is not data falsification.

PPI is your lone hope (short of AI) to change the manuscript. And he won't, because Bossman says so. My hope is that AI (or the threat of AI) will let them know that they must address your concerns.

I just hit the "Send" button on a very detailed e-mail to the person in the Research Integrity office that I met with regarding the first draft of this godawful manuscript. I attached the current draft of said manuscript, the cover letter, the figures, the supplemental data, additional supplemental information, and some information to support my claims of (I didn't use the word) falsification. My comments didn't go beyond, "The manuscript says X, I believe this to be incorrect because Y (refer to attachment Z)." I also said I was concerned about repercussions of my actions. I figured it would be good to have that in writing. No e-mails have been forwarded yet, but I will do so if they need them. I was MUCH better with "don't be an asshole" on this message. I believe windsor would be proud.

Why did I do this tonight? It's called CYA, folks. I have now OFFICIALLY involved the Research Integrity office, and there's a strict policy of not being allowed to do anything to whistle-blowers. This e-mail was a reply to an earlier message that I sent to this person, so I have electronic evidence that this was not my first contact with them regarding this issue.

Okay, now I have officially wreaked enough havoc for one day.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 10th, 2011, 9:56 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Gutsy, but well done. Maintain your demeanor. Windsor's "don't be the asshole" approach is VITAL for Academic Integrity.

I just hit the "Send" button on a very detailed e-mail to the person in the Research Integrity office that I met with regarding the first draft of this godawful manuscript. I attached the current draft of said manuscript, the cover letter, the figures, the supplemental data, additional supplemental information, and some information to support my claims of (I didn't use the word) falsification. My comments didn't go beyond, "The manuscript says X, I believe this to be incorrect because Y (refer to attachment Z)." I also said I was concerned about repercussions of my actions. I figured it would be good to have that in writing. No e-mails have been forwarded yet, but I will do so if they need them. I was MUCH better with "don't be an asshole" on this message. I believe windsor would be proud.

Why did I do this tonight? It's called CYA, folks. I have now OFFICIALLY involved the Research Integrity office, and there's a strict policy of not being allowed to do anything to whistle-blowers. This e-mail was a reply to an earlier message that I sent to this person, so I have electronic evidence that this was not my first contact with them regarding this issue.

You go, AD! ^:)^ ^:)^

I must say that you and Windsor have inspired me to take on our office problem, Wayne the overpaid slacker pervert. Thanks for the motivation and the new way of thinking! :clap: :clap: I wish we had a "my hat's off to you" smilie.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 10th, 2011, 10:02 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:You go, AD! ^:)^ ^:)^

I must say that you and Windsor have inspired me to take on our office problem, Wayne the overpaid slacker pervert. Thanks for the motivation and the new way of thinking! :clap: :clap: I wish we had a "my hat's off to you" smilie.
You go, lawgrad! :clap: :clap:

Sounds like some good material for The Official WWWD Thread. I look forward to hearing about it!
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 10th, 2011, 10:10 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:

More great stuff. This has undeniably been the most interesting and educational thread I have read in almost 2.5 years here and ~ 10 years OY. Continued best wishes, courage and support for you in your journey with this unbelievable morass. :clap: :clap:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.