The Recipe Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Re: The Recipe Thread The coffee cake VDB asked for.

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » December 1st, 2009, 1:15 pm

Aunt Babe's Oatmeal Coffee Cake

1 Cup Quick Oats
1 1/2 Cups boiling water (Pour over oats and let stand 15 minutes)
Cream together:
1/2 Cup shortening (margarine, Crisco or a combination)
1 Cup brown sugar (packed)
1 Cup white sugar
Add:
2 beaten eggs
The oatmeal
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. soda
1/2 t. salt
Mix well and pour into a 9X13 greased pan
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Topping:
6 T Butter (softened)
1/4 Cup Half 'n Half or evaporated milk
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/2 t. Vanilla
1 Cup (or more) pecan pieces

Mix and spread over warm cake and run under the broiler for 4-6 minutes until caramelized.
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Recipe Thread The coffee cake VDB asked for.

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 1st, 2009, 1:59 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Aunt Babe's Oatmeal Coffee Cake

1 Cup Quick Oats
1 1/2 Cups boiling water (Pour over oats and let stand 15 minutes)
Cream together:
1/2 Cup shortening (margarine, Crisco or a combination)
1 Cup brown sugar (packed)
1 Cup white sugar
Add:
2 beaten eggs
The oatmeal
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. soda
1/2 t. salt
Mix well and pour into a 9X13 greased pan
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Topping:
6 T Butter (softened)
1/4 Cup Half 'n Half or evaporated milk
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/2 t. Vanilla
1 Cup (or more) pecan pieces

Mix and spread over warm cake and run under the broiler for 4-6 minutes until caramelized.
Thank you so much Ima. I'm going to make the coffee cake during Christmas. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by Lavabe » December 14th, 2009, 5:05 pm

No potato latke recipes out there?

What potatoes should I use?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » December 14th, 2009, 10:04 pm

Lavabe wrote:No potato latke recipes out there?

Mark Martin and ME use Idaho potato's or potatoes for your educated souls!!!!! ;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 15th, 2009, 5:04 am

cl15876 wrote:

Mark Martin and ME use Idaho potato's or potatoes for your educated souls!!!!! ;)
Got a recipe?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 15th, 2009, 9:50 am

Lavabe wrote:
cl15876 wrote:

Got a recipe?
I do and I'll also ask my mom for her variation also and will post. She used to make them all the time! I love em!!!!!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 15th, 2009, 10:51 am

cl15876 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
cl15876 wrote:"quote="Lavabe""No potato latke recipes out there?

What potatoes should I use?"/quote"

Got a recipe?
I do and I'll also ask my mom for her variation also and will post. She used to make them all the time! I love em!!!!!
Potato Latke

5lb potatoes
eggs
salt and pepper
garlic
cut up onions real fine (my mom's addition)

Note: 5lb potatoes - use 2 eggs,
if less potatoes, 1 egg should be okay

1. peel and wash potatoes
2. shred up or grind up potatoes in food processor and put in bowl
3. add the other ingredients and it will appear soupy
2. add flour to thicken up batter so you can spoon into frying pan of oil
3. drop by spoonful into the oil (vegetable or canola) and don't make real thick because the center won't cook
4. brown on both sides and let cool and enjoy
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 16th, 2009, 8:49 am

cl15876 wrote:
Potato Latke

5lb potatoes
eggs
salt and pepper
garlic

3. drop by spoonful into the oil (vegetable or canola) and don't make real thick because the center won't cook
Addendum:
5. Dip in applesauce (or spoon applesauce on top - your choice) and then enjoy!

Sounds good!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 17th, 2009, 7:50 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
Potato Latke

5lb potatoes
eggs
salt and pepper
garlic

Addendum:

Sounds good!
Sounds good, but one BIG thing missing...

Matzah meal.

No matzah meal?

White potatoes or russets?
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 17th, 2009, 7:53 pm

Lavabe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
Potato Latke

5lb potatoes
eggs
salt and pepper
garlic

Addendum:

Sounds good!
Sounds good, but one BIG thing missing...

Matzah meal.

No matzah meal?

White potatoes or russets?
I was wondering if you would EVA reply! Either work, but as stated previously, Idaho work very GOOD!!!!! I was thinking of making these tonight!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 19th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Lavabe - regarding the russet question, any potato will work, but russet have more starch which is better for the potato to stick together.

Here is a great link to a variety of Latke recipes you can make like I indicated (actually you can use more eggs if you like - I was reading through a couple of recipes and one lady used 6 eggs for 5lb of potatoes. There are also other variations with carrots and other veggies. I have actually made squash latkes (substituted the squash for potatoes) and also with zucchini and both were awesome. My kids love em also! There was a recommendation as Oz indicated about apple sauce also as well as sour cream (I bet that is good too).

I don't know if you like sweet potatoes, but there were a ton of them in the grocery store yesterday and no white potato to be found, so I got to thinking because I do enjoy sweet potatoes and here is a recipe a found.... (I might try this next... it sounded really good and I bet the brown sugar adds a little more sweetness than the already sweet taste of the potato)

Sweet Potato Latkes
sweetpotato-latke.jpg
sweetpotato-latke.jpg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 511 times
Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 10 Min
Ready In: 25 Min

Original Recipe Yield 8 latkes

Ingredients

* 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons ground cloves
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying

Directions

1. Place sweet potatoes in a colander. Place a cheesecloth over the potatoes, and squeeze the potatoes to release as much liquid as possible. Let the potatoes sit to release more liquid, then squeeze again.
2. In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, eggs, brown sugar, flour, cloves and cinnamon; mix well.
3. Heat oil in large heavy skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. Form mixture into pancake size cakes, and fry in hot oil. Flip cakes after 2 to 3 minutes (when bottom is browned) and brown other side. Drain on paper towels, and serve piping hot!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 20th, 2009, 8:03 pm

cl15876 wrote:Lavabe - regarding the russet question, any potato will work, but russet have more starch which is better for the potato to stick together.

Here is a great link to a variety of Latke recipes you can make like I indicated (actually you can use more eggs if you like - I was reading through a couple of recipes and one lady used 6 eggs for 5lb of potatoes. There are also other variations with carrots and other veggies. I have actually made squash latkes (substituted the squash for potatoes) and also with zucchini and both were awesome. My kids love em also! There was a recommendation as Oz indicated about apple sauce also as well as sour cream (I bet that is good too).

I don't know if you like sweet potatoes, but there were a ton of them in the grocery store yesterday and no white potato to be found, so I got to thinking because I do enjoy sweet potatoes and here is a recipe a found.... (I might try this next... it sounded really good and I bet the brown sugar adds a little more sweetness than the already sweet taste of the potato)

Sweet Potato Latkes
sweetpotato-latke.jpg

Ingredients

* 2 eggs, lightly beaten

Directions

1. Place sweet potatoes in a colander. Place a cheesecloth over the potatoes, and squeeze the potatoes to release as much liquid as possible. Let the potatoes sit to release more liquid, then squeeze again.
2. In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, eggs, brown sugar, flour, cloves and cinnamon; mix well.
4. Form mixture into pancake size cakes, and fry in hot oil. Flip cakes after 2 to 3 minutes (when bottom is browned) and brown other side. Drain on paper towels, and serve piping hot!
Linky?
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 20th, 2009, 9:08 pm

Lavabe wrote:
cl15876 wrote:Lavabe - regarding the russet question, any potato will work, but russet have more starch which is better for the potato to stick together.

Sweet Potato Latkes
sweetpotato-latke.jpg

Ingredients

* 2 eggs, lightly beaten

Directions

Linky?
Alright silly man, I searched for Linky and I haven't found where I might have said that in such an affectionate manner, but was thinking about you and your success with making the supreme Latke! The only thing I didn't investigate which would have put you over the edge in over achieving was Latke's with Chunky Peanut Butter! I bet ILJ would go crazy! ;)
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 20th, 2009, 9:27 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

Sweet Potato Latkes
sweetpotato-latke.jpg

Ingredients

* 2 eggs, lightly beaten

Directions

Linky?
Alright silly man, I searched for Linky and I haven't found where I might have said that in such an affectionate manner, but was thinking about you and your success with making the supreme Latke! The only thing I didn't investigate which would have put you over the edge in over achieving was Latke's with Chunky Peanut Butter! I bet ILJ would go crazy! ;)
Lavabe - my bad... Needed CathyCA to help me understand what you were saying.... here is the linky? I am so sorry for forgetting to include.... http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Potato-Lat ... etail.aspx

Enjoy!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 21st, 2009, 3:21 pm

Just saw this recipe from Duke's Mayonnaise - It sounds yummy!
"Looking for a great holiday appetizer? Try our Baked Artichoke Parmesan Dip. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine 2 (10oz) cans drained quartered artichoke hearts, 6oz grated parmesan cheese, ½cup Duke’s Light Mayo and 2tsp. garlic powers. Pour into a small baking dish or pie pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until top is bubbly a...nd browned. Serve with crackers or French bread. YUM!" I think I will go with the regular Duke's Mayo rather than the light, but either way, this sounds good and very easy! :-bd
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 21st, 2009, 8:54 pm

cl15876 wrote:Just saw this recipe from Duke's Mayonnaise - It sounds yummy!
"Looking for a great holiday appetizer? Try our Baked Artichoke Parmesan Dip. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine 2 (10oz) cans drained quartered artichoke hearts, 6oz grated parmesan cheese, ½cup Duke’s Light Mayo and 2tsp. garlic powers. Pour into a small baking dish or pie pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until top is bubbly a...nd browned. Serve with crackers or French bread. YUM!" I think I will go with the regular Duke's Mayo rather than the light, but either way, this sounds good and very easy! :-bd
We'll use real garlic.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 21st, 2009, 9:23 pm

CathyCA wrote:
We'll use real garlic.
OK, it's a deal!!!! BTW, I can chop some mean garlic! ;)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 21st, 2009, 11:04 pm

cl15876 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
We'll use real garlic.
I've never heard of Duke's Mayonnaise, but I assume it is far superior to UNC's Mayonnaise.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » December 21st, 2009, 11:08 pm

-- DukeUsul
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 21st, 2009, 11:27 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:"quote="cl15876""Just saw this recipe from Duke's Mayonnaise - It sounds yummy!
"Looking for a great holiday appetizer? Try our Baked Artichoke Parmesan Dip. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine 2 (10oz) cans drained quartered artichoke hearts, 6oz grated parmesan cheese, ½cup Duke’s Light Mayo and 2tsp. garlic powers. Pour into a small baking dish or pie pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until top is bubbly a...nd browned. Serve with crackers or French bread. YUM!" I think I will go with the regular Duke's Mayo rather than the light, but either way, this sounds good and very easy! :-bd"/quote"

We'll use real garlic.
I've never heard of Duke's Mayonnaise, but I assume it is far superior to UNC's Mayonnaise.
OMG, we must send you some! PM me your address, or maybe I'll see if I figure it out on the "where are you" thread! It is amazing! Cathy got me two 32oz on sale (2 for 1) ... thank you again honey), and we can put 1 in your hands!!!! better than helmans!