Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 2nd, 2015, 2:00 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:This weather can get me down if I let it. I won't!!! I decided our dinner menue for tonight. I'll make marina sauce with lots of garlic and fresh basil, fish sautéd in olive oil and garlic. Have I mentioned I love garlic? :D I will put the sauce over spaghetti squash ( from our garden), add Parmesan cheese, a few fresh basil leaves, topped with the fish. This makes me happy. :)
Can I come to dinner at your house?
Dink, pick me up on the way by. I will get some nice white wines that go well with fish.
WooWoo! Come on, don't forget the wine. :happy-bouncyblue:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 2nd, 2015, 2:07 pm

I grow basil year round. I get a plant in the vegetable section at Walmart, repot, keep it outside as long as I can. Well before frost, I bring it in. This, for me, I find so handy and a lot cheaper. A friend of mine planted lemon seed. She has the plant in her kitchen. She said it has a wonderful fragrance. I'm going to do this. I like cooking and growing but hate housekeeping. Wish I had a shousekeeper. :(
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » October 2nd, 2015, 8:09 pm

I grow oregano...
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 2nd, 2015, 8:22 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I grow oregano...
I do in the summer but have never brought in in before frost. My oregano out side is still doing good. It seems to grow so slow. I'll bring it in when it gets cold. Do you have 1 plant or more?
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 2nd, 2015, 8:28 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:This weather can get me down if I let it. I won't!!! I decided our dinner menue for tonight. I'll make marina sauce with lots of garlic and fresh basil, fish sautéd in olive oil and garlic. Have I mentioned I love garlic? :D I will put the sauce over spaghetti squash ( from our garden), add Parmesan cheese, a few fresh basil leaves, topped with the fish. This makes me happy. :)
Dinner was a winner. Bud and Kyle loved it. I'll do it again. I'll probably us pasta next time. I have no more squash.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 2nd, 2015, 8:31 pm

It's still dumping rain but tomorrow is supposed to be much better. :happy-bouncyblue:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 2nd, 2015, 8:59 pm

windsor wrote:Random Job Vibes going out to ArkieDukie - haven't had an update lately I suspect no news is NOT good news.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Thanks! We are still in the no news stage. Everybody limbo!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 2nd, 2015, 9:12 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:Random Job Vibes going out to ArkieDukie - haven't had an update lately I suspect no news is NOT good news.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Hang in. :ymhug:
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 3rd, 2015, 6:24 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:It's still dumping rain but tomorrow is supposed to be much better. :happy-bouncyblue:
When I came in last night around 1030, it was pouring rain!

And it is pouring rain this early morning! I hope it will cease and soon! It is a wet mess.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 3rd, 2015, 6:25 am

ArkieDukie wrote:

The best to you in your Job Search!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 3rd, 2015, 9:39 am

From the category of I Can't Make This Stuff Up: Next week, a software that I use has a local training course. Since I gave a talk at their last users' meeting and get lots of people to buy their software, they comped my $400 course fee. Wile E. Coyote's lab recently purchased a copy of the software, and it is used by both Mrs Wile E. Coyote and the grad student in their group. The grad student called them to ask for a discount; she received it. She is paying out of her own pocket, since her advisor is too much of a cheapskate to pay for her. Upon learning this, Mrs Wile E. Coyote called in with a claim that she is a student, too, so she also received a discount. I learned this from the rep of the software company. I don't think she is very happy about the lie either, but I'm not sure there is anything she can do about it. I'm really pissed, but there is nothing I can do about it. I am seriously thinking about telling the departmental business administrator about her antics. I think her repeated lies to vendors are an embarrassment to the institution, and something needs to be done.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » October 3rd, 2015, 9:52 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I grow oregano...
I do in the summer but have never brought in in before frost. My oregano out side is still doing good. It seems to grow so slow. I'll bring it in when it gets cold. Do you have 1 plant or more?

Just one plant, it was sold as a Mexican variety. It is plantedand grows year round hear but I only take a tiny bit of it at random times.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 3rd, 2015, 10:02 am

Road Runner hosted a big symposium this week. The speakers were her friends and collaborators. Among them was someone I've done a lot of work with, as did Brilliant Grad Student. In fact, BGS' highest profile publication has this collaborator as the senior author. In her talk, she was very gracious in giving credit to BGS and said nice things about her. At the end of the talk, Road Runner took credit for the work, saying they had been working together for 3 years and she was very excited about the results thus far. Here's the thing: RR had NOTHING to do with the project and never attended a single meeting when we mapped out experiments. BGS came to me with the initial project idea. She had already mapped out what needed to be done; I just gave her a few tips and sent her on her way without realizing she hadn't cleared things with RR. Once RR found out about the project, she forbade BGS from doing any more work on the project. The validation of BGS' results was done in the collaborator's lab. I edited the paper for BGS, along with the collaborator. RR took her name off the paper, until she figured out that the paper was going to get in a high profile journal. She then put her name back on the paper and rewrote the author contributions to make it sound like the entire project was her idea. She also rewrote my contributions to minimize them.

RR didn't stop there. Later the same day, she took sole credit for work that a second collaborator did. She claimed to have worked with another in designing a database that he wrote. She took credit for figuring out something I found and had to beat her over the head with. She didn't include BGS or Bar Minion in her acknowledgments, and she should have. Suffice it to say, I was majorly pissed at the end of the day, and I am very happy with my decision to get as far away from her as possible.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 3rd, 2015, 10:32 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Road Runner hosted a big symposium this week. The speakers were her friends and collaborators. Among them was someone I've done a lot of work with, as did Brilliant Grad Student. In fact, BGS' highest profile publication has this collaborator as the senior author. In her talk, she was very gracious in giving credit to BGS and said nice things about her. At the end of the talk, Road Runner took credit for the work, saying they had been working together for 3 years and she was very excited about the results thus far. Here's the thing: RR had NOTHING to do with the project and never attended a single meeting when we mapped out experiments. BGS came to me with the initial project idea. She had already mapped out what needed to be done; I just gave her a few tips and sent her on her way without realizing she hadn't cleared things with RR. Once RR found out about the project, she forbade BGS from doing any more work on the project. The validation of BGS' results was done in the collaborator's lab. I edited the paper for BGS, along with the collaborator. RR took her name off the paper, until she figured out that the paper was going to get in a high profile journal. She then put her name back on the paper and rewrote the author contributions to make it sound like the entire project was her idea. She also rewrote my contributions to minimize them.

RR didn't stop there. Later the same day, she took sole credit for work that a second collaborator did. She claimed to have worked with another in designing a database that he wrote. She took credit for figuring out something I found and had to beat her over the head with. She didn't include BGS or Bar Minion in her acknowledgments, and she should have. Suffice it to say, I was majorly pissed at the end of the day, and I am very happy with my decision to get as far away from her as possible.
AD, does the senior author know of RR's lies?
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 3rd, 2015, 11:02 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Road Runner hosted a big symposium this week. The speakers were her friends and collaborators. Among them was someone I've done a lot of work with, as did Brilliant Grad Student. In fact, BGS' highest profile publication has this collaborator as the senior author. In her talk, she was very gracious in giving credit to BGS and said nice things about her. At the end of the talk, Road Runner took credit for the work, saying they had been working together for 3 years and she was very excited about the results thus far. Here's the thing: RR had NOTHING to do with the project and never attended a single meeting when we mapped out experiments. BGS came to me with the initial project idea. She had already mapped out what needed to be done; I just gave her a few tips and sent her on her way without realizing she hadn't cleared things with RR. Once RR found out about the project, she forbade BGS from doing any more work on the project. The validation of BGS' results was done in the collaborator's lab. I edited the paper for BGS, along with the collaborator. RR took her name off the paper, until she figured out that the paper was going to get in a high profile journal. She then put her name back on the paper and rewrote the author contributions to make it sound like the entire project was her idea. She also rewrote my contributions to minimize them.

AD, does the senior author know of RR's lies?
She was standing right there and heard her take credit, knowing full well that RR didn't attend any meetings. Regarding everything else, I don't know. I suspect she knows but feels like she cannot say anything. At the moment, Red Dragon does not like this particular collaborator and is blocking her from getting tenure. Road Runner is tight with Red Dragon. The Boss is scared of Red Dragon. Ergo, Road Runner is bulletproof.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » October 3rd, 2015, 11:41 am

AD, I wish the people at your institution had the guts and decency to stand up the assholes and call them out on their bullshit. Infuriating. Speaking of assholes, the situation with WEC wife's lie sounds like the perfect time to play WTA, because she is, indeed, a supreme AHole.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 3rd, 2015, 12:03 pm

DukePA wrote:AD, I wish the people at your institution had the guts and decency to stand up the assholes and call them out on their bullshit. Infuriating. Speaking of assholes, the situation with WEC wife's lie sounds like the perfect time to play WTA, because she is, indeed, a supreme AHole.
I think I should suggest to my friend from the software company that she request to see Mrs WEC's student ID. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA

Post by DukePA » October 3rd, 2015, 12:37 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukePA wrote:AD, I wish the people at your institution had the guts and decency to stand up the assholes and call them out on their bullshit. Infuriating. Speaking of assholes, the situation with WEC wife's lie sounds like the perfect time to play WTA, because she is, indeed, a supreme AHole.
I think I should suggest to my friend from the software company that she request to see Mrs WEC's student ID. :ymdevil:
Oooooh!!! I love it :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 4th, 2015, 8:48 am

A victorious Homecoming!!!!

A milestone with 4000 posts !

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 4th, 2015, 1:06 pm

Me and no guest.