PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » August 28th, 2015, 8:46 pm

My Roku box arrived today...
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 28th, 2015, 10:51 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:My Roku box arrived today...
Congrats! I love my Roku box.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 29th, 2015, 8:47 am

OK Enlighten me please on Roku boxes. Guess I'm living under rock.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 29th, 2015, 4:22 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:OK Enlighten me please on Roku boxes. Guess I'm living under rock.
Love, Ima
I'll bring the wine, you bring snacks... I'll met you under the rock. :D
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 29th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:OK Enlighten me please on Roku boxes. Guess I'm living under rock.
Love, Ima

The Roku Streaming Player (or simply Roku) is a series of digital media player set-top boxes manufactured by Roku, Inc. Roku partners provide over-the-top content in the form of channels. A Roku streaming device gets data (the video stream) via a wired or Wi-Fi connection to an Internet router. The data is output via an audio cable, video cable or both signals over an HDMI cable. The device can be connected to any television set (or other device) with appropriate input connections. Content is avalible from services such as PBS, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Google Play Movies and TV, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Now TV (UK only), Amazon Instant Video, Crunchyroll, WWE Network, HBO Go, Hasbro Studios and TheBlaze.

BTW, I love my Roku!!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
Love, Ima
Make it a larger rock and I'll bring the beer. :ymblushing:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 29th, 2015, 6:39 pm

devildeac wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:
Love, Ima
Make it a larger rock and I'll bring the beer. :ymblushing:
I'll bring the chocolate.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 29th, 2015, 8:09 pm

I have a Roku. It's the toy that allows my cable free life to be tolerable. With that being said, I want to join the party under the rock.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 29th, 2015, 8:35 pm

Where's the rock? I'm on my way! :)
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2015, 8:40 pm

IowaDevil wrote:Where's the rock? I'm on my way! :)

Ran outta room under the rock. Moving to a quarry. Welcome!!
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 29th, 2015, 8:44 pm

We can meet on the rock at a Duke football game. Ill bring the rock. :duke:
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 29th, 2015, 9:50 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
We can meet on the rock at a Duke football game. Ill bring the rock. :duke:
Drats - I'm probably not going to be able to make it to a game this year. I'm running out of available weekends to be gone. I think taking a week off each month this summer is catching up with me. But it sure has been fun!
Life is good!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 30th, 2015, 9:51 am

Heck Dink. I was looking forward to seeing you. :(
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 30th, 2015, 11:18 am

windsor wrote:[quote="Very Duke Blue"

The Roku Streaming Player (or simply Roku) is a series of digital media player set-top boxes manufactured by Roku, Inc. Roku partners provide over-the-top content in the form of channels. A Roku streaming device gets data (the video stream) via a wired or Wi-Fi connection to an Internet router. The data is output via an audio cable, video cable or both signals over an HDMI cable. The device can be connected to any television set (or other device) with appropriate input connections. Content is avalible from services such as PBS, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Google Play Movies and TV, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Now TV (UK only), Amazon Instant Video, Crunchyroll, WWE Network, HBO Go, Hasbro Studios and TheBlaze.

BTW, I love my Roku!![/quote]

Thanks Windsor. Our internet is not great. An upgrade is not offered, the phone lines are very old. We can't get internet here, at the lKe or the mountain house. I'm still curious in case our phone lines ever get upgraded. Do you get ESPN? That would be a must have for us.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 30th, 2015, 6:09 pm

I subscribe to the Sling service which does offer ESPN. The package cost $20 a month and includes about two dozen channels. For the first time in 3+ years my home internet isn't working.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 31st, 2015, 10:27 am

The last day of August! This year has flown by. And football begins this week!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 1st, 2015, 6:51 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I subscribe to the Sling service which does offer ESPN. The package cost $20 a month and includes about two dozen channels. For the first time in 3+ years my home internet isn't working.
I, too, subscribe to Sling TV. In fact, the ability to stream Sling was a deciding factor for me when I went with the Roku box. That, and the fact that it has built-in streaming capabilities for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Everything I want to stream, all in one convenient box.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

As the Bunsen Burns

Post by ArkieDukie » September 1st, 2015, 7:09 am

The crazy continues to run deep at my current workplace. Road Runner's complaints against MacGyver have gone from Human Resources to Internal Affairs, a department which specializes in cases of sexual harassment and retaliation. All of Road Runner's current lab personnel have been called in to chat with them this week. From what Natasha said, they were asked questions that were very vague and generic. For instance, "Have you noticed a change in your work environment?" Truth be told, Road Runner's people are scared to say anything against her. The very fact that they've been called in is exhibit A for why they want to keep their mouths shut. IA hasn't contacted me yet. If they do, I will sing like a canary.

Natasha mentioned to Road Runner in passing that she had an appointment with IA. Apparently RR was all excited and told her who she would be chatting with (she was wrong). So, guess we know who told IA to talk to Natasha et al. It's also quite telling that they haven't contacted me.

My hope is that all of RR's complaints have gotten bundled in with Brilliant Grad Student's exit interview and that the pendulum is changing directions. Anyone with half a brain could put the pieces together and see the source of the retaliation.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 1st, 2015, 3:56 pm

Can I ask a stupid question? I have directv and stream netflix and amazon prime through my ps3 or tablet or xbox one. What extra functionality would Roku or sling box give me?
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 1st, 2015, 4:09 pm

bjornolf wrote:Can I ask a stupid question? I have directv and stream netflix and amazon prime through my ps3 or tablet or xbox one. What extra functionality would Roku or sling box give me?
In your case, none that I can think of.
-- Albert Einstein