LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » June 2nd, 2015, 11:01 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I presented my research at the conference today. A developer for one of the software packages that I used tweeted about my work. How cool is that?!! (Note for Ozzie: none of the coauthors are in the running soap opera.)

Had dinner Saturday night with my former boss. He was very nice to me. His presentation on Sunday was given by NuBarbie. She did a surprisingly good job, but then asked me a question afterward that revealed a frightening lack of knowledge. I'm supposed to go to the old lab tomorrow to help out NuBarbie and the old boss, with lunch to follow. That should be fun.
Congrats on the tweet, AD! That is very cool!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 3rd, 2015, 5:09 am

Keep Shaquille Powell's Little Brother, Malachi Briggs in your prayers. He has inoperable Stage IV cancer. So sad. :pray: :pray:
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 3rd, 2015, 11:19 am

I'm always a sucker for free meals.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 3rd, 2015, 1:10 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I'm always a sucker for free meals.
Today, I get to be a sucker for free ice cream. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Life is good!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 3rd, 2015, 3:07 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Keep Shaquille Powell's Little Brother, Malachi Briggs in your prayers. He has inoperable Stage IV cancer. So sad. :pray: :pray:

:YMPRAY: :wizard:
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 3rd, 2015, 3:54 pm

Ho. Ly. Cow. I just came back from a meeting with my former boss. He wanted to see if I would be interested in a position at Wash U, designed especially for me, based 50% on teaching. Apparently he's getting a lot of pressure to establish a graduate level course in our area of expertise and doesn't have time to do it. They also want someone to help clinicians with grants. In summary, it could be the perfect job for me. We're early in the game right now, and it sounds as though I have some bargaining power. Former boss and I will continue our discussions. Meanwhile, I'm still talking with the Chicago group. Cool, right?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 3rd, 2015, 4:09 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Ho. Ly. Cow. I just came back from a meeting with my former boss. He wanted to see if I would be interested in a position at Wash U, designed especially for me, based 50% on teaching. Apparently he's getting a lot of pressure to establish a graduate level course in our area of expertise and doesn't have time to do it. They also want someone to help clinicians with grants. In summary, it could be the perfect job for me. We're early in the game right now, and it sounds as though I have some bargaining power. Former boss and I will continue our discussions. Meanwhile, I'm still talking with the Chicago group. Cool, right?
I forget, but did you ever wind up selling the condo in St. Louis?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 3rd, 2015, 4:48 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Ho. Ly. Cow. I just came back from a meeting with my former boss. He wanted to see if I would be interested in a position at Wash U, designed especially for me, based 50% on teaching. Apparently he's getting a lot of pressure to establish a graduate level course in our area of expertise and doesn't have time to do it. They also want someone to help clinicians with grants. In summary, it could be the perfect job for me. We're early in the game right now, and it sounds as though I have some bargaining power. Former boss and I will continue our discussions. Meanwhile, I'm still talking with the Chicago group. Cool, right?
Wow. Just wow.

Could you work with Former Boss? How much supervision/control would he have over you?

Things sound great, AD! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:
Iron Duke #1471997.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 3rd, 2015, 4:54 pm

:ymhug: :wizard: :YMPRAY:
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 3rd, 2015, 5:25 pm

Lavabe wrote:
I forget, but did you ever wind up selling the condo in St. Louis?
No I did not. In fact, my tenant is moving out at the end of July. Was planning to put it on the market, but now it appears that I might not need to.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 3rd, 2015, 5:30 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Wow. Just wow.

Could you work with Former Boss? How much supervision/control would he have over you?

Things sound great, AD! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:
He mentioned assistant or associate professor level. I'd be working more with him than for him. Based on interactions this week, I think I could work with him. He appears to have realized that I know what I'm doing. Also, as it turns out, there's some pretty key work they haven't been able to do since I left. I have LOTS of bargaining power.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 3rd, 2015, 5:43 pm

Paper course I assume 8-| .

Sounds promising.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 3rd, 2015, 5:54 pm

:angelic-yellow: :animals-cow: <---that's "Holy Cow" in CTN smilies.

This is great news!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » June 3rd, 2015, 6:49 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
Wow. Just wow.

He mentioned assistant or associate professor level. I'd be working more with him than for him. Based on interactions this week, I think I could work with him. He appears to have realized that I know what I'm doing. Also, as it turns out, there's some pretty key work they haven't been able to do since I left. I have LOTS of bargaining power.
Fantabulous!!!! ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 3rd, 2015, 9:15 pm

devildeac wrote:
Paper course I assume 8-| .

Sounds promising.
Can't be a paper course, or she would be able to tailgate with us every week, since she'd only be eight miles from campus.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 3rd, 2015, 10:25 pm

Sounds very promising. Love the fact the fact you have lots of bargaining power. :happy-bouncyblue: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 4th, 2015, 12:46 am

Terrific news, AD! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :D
Life is good!
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » June 4th, 2015, 5:53 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Former boss and I will continue our discussions. Meanwhile, I'm still talking with the Chicago group. Cool, right?
ooooh - having choices is good! You go, girl!!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 4th, 2015, 6:34 am

Yay! Hope this works out for you, AD! :happy-bouncyblue:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » June 4th, 2015, 8:11 am

Yea AD! You bargain away and take your pick of the best opportunity - STL vs CHI! :happy-bouncyblue: :ymhug: :wizard:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: