Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2013, 12:12 am

That was #3700 in this thread.

Gratuitous PW interlude ;;) .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2013, 12:12 am

Sample #3:

Pliney the Elder-Guess what? Another Russian River classic. This is one of their flagship brews, a highly hopped, pungent, citrusy double IPA, available on draft and limited numbers of not very widely distributed bottles. In fact, the brewpub had sold out of their bottles on their happy hour Sunday and was sending thirsty patrons to local shops/stores where they might be lucky to procure a bottle or two. The pour was copper/bronze, the head was small and creamy and the 8% ABV, though a bit low for the style, was enough to balance a real hop bomb as I'd guess the IBU to be in the 80-90 range.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2013, 12:13 am

The server kept bringing me samples so I kept sipping. And they kept getting better, too. Here's #4:

Temptation- From the brewer:

"Blonde Ale aged in used Chardonnay barrels from local Sonoma County wineries. It is aged for about 9 to 15 months (depending on the age of the barrel) with lots of brettanomyces, lactobacillus, and pediococcus added to each barrel. Medium bodied with hints of oak and Chardonnay, funky brett characteristics, with a nice, long sour finish."

My thoughts:

I've never had a sour single, or Belgian blonde ale before, so this was quite the surprise. Appearance was slightly cloudy with a small, lacy head. Wild flower and barnyard scents with some dry, wine-y and, of course, pungent lemon sour notes. I'd guess IBU about 30 and the ABV is 7.5%. I'm thinking this is a barrel aged version of the Redemption I'm enjoying tonight. Would pair nicely with a fruit and/or cheese plate before or after dinner.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2013, 12:13 am

Last "free" one:

Supplication-Once again, the PR department from the brewery describes this elixir far better than I would:

"Brown Ale aged in used Pinot Noir barrels from local Sonoma County wineries. It is aged for about 12 months with sour cherries, brettanomyces, lactobacillus, and pediococcus added to each barrel. Flavors from the cherries, Pinot Noir and oak balance each other nicely with a little funk from the brett."

My impressions:

Poured a dark, reddish-brown with a pale tan head with a tinge of pink. Luscious bouquet of cherries, chocolate, and dark fresh fruits with prominent sour tastes from the Brett yeast and other yeasts used in re-fermenting in the wine barrels. Liquid dessert. Or, serve with anything triple chocolate. I'd guess 30 IBU and the ABV is 7%. One to seek out or have delivered to you if you have friends, family or even a complete stranger visiting wine country anytime in the future.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2013, 12:14 am

Salvation (draft)-Russian River Brewing

Happy hour-all day Sunday! So, this 10 ounce goblet was $3 and a superb beer at a great price. Served a bit too cool but dinner lasted about 45 minutes so it was just the right temperature for the second half of the meal. Poured a dark, reddish brown with a small head. What a complex beer! Described as a dark strong ale, the aromas that emanated from the goblet were dark brown sugar, rum, raisins, dates, figs and dark cherries with tastes that matched its scents. Probably closest in description to a an imperial brown ale only much richer and smoother. I'd guess IBU about 30 and the ABV was 10% so this would be fabulous for my often described liquid dessert or with any double or triple threat chocolate cake/torte or even a fancy bread pudding.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2013, 12:15 am

Redemption-Russian River Brewing

Now, on to my bottle supply. This was a corked and caged 12.68 ounce (aka 375 ml) bottle purchased at the brewery for $4. Poured a cloudy, fizzy, yellow-orange with nice lacing that lingered. Aromas of ripe bananas, lemon and sourdough bread with a hint of pepper on the palate with tastes of Granny Smith apples, bananas and mangoes. I'd guess the IBU about 20 as it was a blonde ale, or Belgian single, with an ABV of 5.15% and was way too easy to drink. Serve chilled in a goblet with a fruit and cheese plate for an appetizer or dessert. Would also accompany a light seafood entree nicely.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2013, 12:15 am

Drink local!

I've moved a few miles inland and found this one in a 12 ounce bottle tonight:

Ichtyosaur-Great Basin Brewing

From their website:

"Long before there was humankind, there was the mighty Ichthyosaur.

Ichthyosaurs, Greek for "fish lizard," were reptiles that had fish and dolphin-like characteristics and ruled the ancient seas at the same time the dinosaurs roamed on land. The fossil specimens found in central Nevada swam some 217 million years ago. They are among the largest ever unearthed, reaching 50 feet in length. Take some Ichthyosaur IPA with you when you visit the fossil display at the Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park in central Nevada, both natural wonders."

Named after the official Nevada state fossil, too.

From a two location brewery and pub in Reno and Sparks, this IPA, aka "Icky" is a bit different than the expected west coast IPA. But then again, Nevada ain't exactly coastal. But then neither is The University Of Notre Dame, the newest (part-time) ACC member. But I digress. Poured a dark copper into a pint glass, there was a very light tan foamy head with fresh pine, resin and a tiny bit of citrus on the nose. Taste was a bit oily and once again, dominated by piney and resiny entities. I'd guess the IBU about 60 and the ABV was 6.4%, both pretty standard. Made a nice beverage to wash down half a veggie pizza.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2013, 12:59 am

Temptation (bottle version)

From the back of the bottle:

"Is it beer, or is it wine? "Aged in French oak wine barrels for twelve months with distinct characteristics of fruit and subtle oak" sounds more like a description of wine than beer. But, of course, Temptation is indeed beer. Actually, Temptation is a Blonde Ale Fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces. The "Bret" gives Temptation intriguing characteristics and a pleasant sourness. Temptation is re-fermented in the bottle to create its carbonation--a process commonly used to make fine champagne and sparkling wine. Spent yeast forms a thin layer of sediment to remain in the bottle."

There's also a couple bacteria species thrown into the barrels in the refermentation process, another event brewers and winemakers loathe.

Interesting to think that I perceive little difference in the two tastings of this that I have had, the draft and the 12.68 ounce (aka 375 ml) bottle variety. The draft is a bit fresher I guess but I perceived the same dry, winey characteristics and maybe sour apple notes, too, from the bottle. Price was way different, too. The sample was 3 ounces as a free taster before I decided to buy the bottle which was $12. A generous chunk more than I will usually spend on any 12 ounce bottle of beer, but, it's still cheaper than the $20-25 you'd spend at a restaurant/bar for this ale and about the same as you'd spend for a fine 4-6 ounce glass of wine at a restaurant.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2013, 11:07 pm

Blowing Rock Summer Ale-Boone Brewing Company

Don't let the name or the picture of a large rock in the mountains fool you, this beer ain't brewed in the NC mountains. It's brewed in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. It's a decent Belgian style witbier style with a yellow and cloudy pour. The side of the label says it's brewed with sweet orange peel, curacao bitter orange peel and coriander and the front of the label says coriander and orange peel only. The cloudiness comes from the wheat malt which lends to the citrus nose and taste but also leaves a certain "chunkiness" or better, "junkiness" to the bottom of the glass. Not very tasty or appealing. I got to admit that I didn't pay that close of attention as I should have while pouring but it still shouldn't have this much sediment. I'd guess an IBU rating about 20 as it's a wheat ale basically with a low ABV, probably <5%. This was a leftover 12 ouncer from an office meeting Monday night and shared it with my daughter so I 'm quite happy I didn't have to choke down the whole bottle myself or I'd have likely poured out the last few ounces. Not bad enough to find the Yechh, Beer thread but certainly wouldn't buy again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2013, 10:57 pm

Wheat-Boulevard Brewing

That's it. Wheat, just wheat. No fancy name and no relation to our beloved poster OY who advocates for the wrong shade of blue here. Made with two types of grains, pale malt (barley) and malted and unmalted wheat, this is a straw-yellow colored brew that pours slightly cloudy, from both the wheat and a bit of yeast added for bottle conditioning. Generous head with faint aromas of orange, the mouth feel is low bitterness and tastes of light breadiness. Hops are Bravo, Zeus and Summit and their presence is minimal with an IBU of only 14 and the ABV is 4.4%, both fairly typical for a wheat ale. I stole :ymblushing: a 12 ounce bottle from my older son-in-law's supply tonight to sip with a seafood dinner and really enjoyed it on a warm summer evening. I don't think I've had one of these in 20 years or so and found this worthy of re-visiting.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Saison Rue-The Bruery

Another trader from fuse a couple months ago. This is an interesting twist on the expected saison style as it has rye as one of the grains and Brettanomyces as (one of?) the yeast(s). The rye imparts a musty smell and taste to the brew and the Brett yields a mildly sour, funky barnyard presence. I found hints of clove, grapefruit zest and black pepper in the nose and on the tongue. Poured a cloudy, orange-amber with a large, foamy head, even with gentle decantation. This is a bit full or "heavy" for a saison, both in body and ABV as it clocks in at 8.5%. I'd guess the IBU about 20. Totally new brew and brewery to me and definitely makes me interested in trying other concoctions they produce. A hearty thank you again to fuse!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2013, 3:35 pm

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 26th, 2013, 4:42 pm

devildeac wrote:Saison Rue-The Bruery

Another trader from fuse a couple months ago. This is an interesting twist on the expected saison style as it has rye as one of the grains and Brettanomyces as (one of?) the yeast(s). The rye imparts a musty smell and taste to the brew and the Brett yields a mildly sour, funky barnyard presence. I found hints of clove, grapefruit zest and black pepper in the nose and on the tongue. Poured a cloudy, orange-amber with a large, foamy head, even with gentle decantation. This is a bit full or "heavy" for a saison, both in body and ABV as it clocks in at 8.5%. I'd guess the IBU about 20. Totally new brew and brewery to me and definitely makes me interested in trying other concoctions they produce. A hearty thank you again to fuse!
Wait a minute! You described this beer as having a musty smell and a sour, funky barnyard presence, and you like this stuff? I guess I'll never develop a taste for craft beer if it's musty and funky barnyard tasting, unless you can explain to me why funky barnyard makes for good beer. :orcs-cheers:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Not sure I'm ready for this:

http://money.msn.com/now/post--when-...now-its-frozen

Beer slushies/slurpees!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2013, 5:01 pm

CathyCA wrote:

Wait a minute! You described this beer as having a musty smell and a sour, funky barnyard presence, and you like this stuff? I guess I'll never develop a taste for craft beer if it's musty and funky barnyard tasting, unless you can explain to me why funky barnyard makes for good beer. :orcs-cheers:
I'm not sure I can explain. Some of the better beers in the world of the "sour" style originate from Belgium and a number of US brewers have "copied" their style, most notably New Belgium Brewing in Colorado and The Bruery near Anaheim. Perhaps this will help a bit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodenbach_Brewery

The tastes are acquired and sour/funky smells (generally from the Brettanomyces yeast) and tastes are not to everyone's liking. Nor are dark beers or bitter beers or high alcohol or fruity styles pleasing to all beer drinkers. I guess it may be analogous to different types of white wines vs different varietals of red wines and US vs South American vs European products. In college, I tasted a Guiness stout and thought I was drinking 10W30. Now, I thoroughly enjoy that style and variations thereof, but I also find wheat/fruit ales to be very refreshing and pleasant, too, depending on the season, food being served, etc.

Bring a bomber on Saturday and we'll taste with you ;;) .
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 26th, 2013, 5:18 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

I'm not sure I can explain. Some of the better beers in the world of the "sour" style originate from Belgium and a number of US brewers have "copied" their style, most notably New Belgium Brewing in Colorado and The Bruery near Anaheim. Perhaps this will help a bit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodenbach_Brewery

The tastes are acquired and sour/funky smells (generally from the Brettanomyces yeast) and tastes are not to everyone's liking. Nor are dark beers or bitter beers or high alcohol or fruity styles pleasing to all beer drinkers. I guess it may be analogous to different types of white wines vs different varietals of red wines and US vs South American vs European products. In college, I tasted a Guiness stout and thought I was drinking 10W30. Now, I thoroughly enjoy that style and variations thereof, but I also find wheat/fruit ales to be very refreshing and pleasant, too, depending on the season, food being served, etc.

Bring a bomber on Saturday and we'll taste with you ;;) .
Okay, I think I understand. My tastes in wine have certainly evolved to the point that I prefer red to white (and two years ago, I wouldn't touch a red).

Also, I reviewed the Endless River kolsch from Mother Earth Brewery in Kinston and I vowed and declared that I would never drink that beer again. Guess what beer is currently in my fridge? Endless River kolsch! It's my second favorite beer now.

I'm developing a more sophisticated palate as I get older.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2013, 2:56 pm

CathyCA wrote:

Here's another article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sour_beer
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 28th, 2013, 11:11 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Here's another article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sour_beer
That helps me understand the process better, but I'm still not convinced that I could ever develop a taste for something that is musty and sour and which has a funky barnyard presence.

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2013, 1:04 pm

CathyCA wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

That helps me understand the process better, but I'm still not convinced that I could ever develop a taste for something that is musty and sour and which has a funky barnyard presence.

Personally, I enjoy trying many different styles of beers, from a light and fruity kolsch to a bourbon barrel aged black-as-10W30 Quaker State motor oil imperial stout. I don't expect every beer knurd/nerd to like every style. I certainly have my favorites. I look upon it as a "journey" with some destinations ultimately not worth visiting again. I had a Rayon Vert last month from Green Flash Brewing and didn't like it a bit. I subsequently had several "sours" from Russian River Brewing and really enjoyed them. I also found out I don't like cucumber tastes in beer but found a watermelon beer to be rather refreshing last summer. I'm guessing we'll have at least 6 beers for sampling on Saturday. Tap one of us on the glass and ask for a sip or three.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 29th, 2013, 1:47 pm

devildeac wrote: Personally, I enjoy trying many different styles of beers, from a light and fruity kolsch to a bourbon barrel aged black-as-10W30 Quaker State motor oil imperial stout. I don't expect every beer knurd/nerd to like every style. I certainly have my favorites. I look upon it as a "journey" with some destinations ultimately not worth visiting again. I had a Rayon Vert last month from Green Flash Brewing and didn't like it a bit. I subsequently had several "sours" from Russian River Brewing and really enjoyed them. I also found out I don't like cucumber tastes in beer but found a watermelon beer to be rather refreshing last summer. I'm guessing we'll have at least 6 beers for sampling on Saturday. Tap one of us on the glass and ask for a sip or three.
Maybe just a sniff and then if I like that, a sip?

~ James Naismith