LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

WWWD?

Post by ArkieDukie » March 31st, 2015, 8:55 pm

I received an email today from Pippi (postdoc in Road Runner's lab), to invite my participation in a project that she and Natasha are working on. Basically, they're working on a technical note that deals with the type of data analysis that I do. She invited me to participate, which I thought was nice. But ... the data they're analyzing for this tech note is the data that I analyzed for the manuscript that was submitted for publication last month. I spent well over a thousand hours on the analysis when all was said and done, and I really don't want to revisit it. There other issue, of course, is that I'm working on extricating myself from Road Runner's lab. So, do I stand firm and send a "thanks but no thanks" note to Pippi, or do I suck it up and help them out?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » March 31st, 2015, 9:00 pm

My new Dell XPS 13 came today. Although the operating system is taking a bit of getting used to, the computer itself is great! It's amazing how lightweight laptops are these days. My 4 year old Toshiba Satellite is a behemoth next to the new one, despite the fact that both have a 13 inch monitor.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 31st, 2015, 9:05 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My new Dell XPS 13 came today. Although the operating system is taking a bit of getting used to, the computer itself is great! It's amazing how lightweight laptops are these days. My 4 year old Toshiba Satellite is a behemoth next to the new one, despite the fact that both have a 13 inch monitor.
Cool. Congrats.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: WWWD?

Post by DukePA » March 31st, 2015, 9:50 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I received an email today from Pippi (postdoc in Road Runner's lab), to invite my participation in a project that she and Natasha are working on. Basically, they're working on a technical note that deals with the type of data analysis that I do. She invited me to participate, which I thought was nice. But ... the data they're analyzing for this tech note is the data that I analyzed for the manuscript that was submitted for publication last month. I spent well over a thousand hours on the analysis when all was said and done, and I really don't want to revisit it. There other issue, of course, is that I'm working on extricating myself from Road Runner's lab. So, do I stand firm and send a "thanks but no thanks" note to Pippi, or do I suck it up and help them out?
Thanks, but no thanks and send an attachment with your prior analysis.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: WWWD?

Post by ArkieDukie » March 31st, 2015, 10:16 pm

DukePA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I received an email today from Pippi (postdoc in Road Runner's lab), to invite my participation in a project that she and Natasha are working on. Basically, they're working on a technical note that deals with the type of data analysis that I do. She invited me to participate, which I thought was nice. But ... the data they're analyzing for this tech note is the data that I analyzed for the manuscript that was submitted for publication last month. I spent well over a thousand hours on the analysis when all was said and done, and I really don't want to revisit it. There other issue, of course, is that I'm working on extricating myself from Road Runner's lab. So, do I stand firm and send a "thanks but no thanks" note to Pippi, or do I suck it up and help them out?
Thanks, but no thanks and send an attachment with your prior analysis.
I don't want to send them my prior analysis. If I do that, they just as well include me as a coauthor on their paper. They are literally redoing everything I did, with a couple of twists.

I won't be telling them this, but I've already proven to myself that a fairly popular open source software does a far better job than the commercial software I used for that analysis. I'll let them figure that one out for themselves. If I was doing anything with these data, that's the analysis I'd be doing.

My current thought is something along the lines of "I cannot give your project the time it deserves." Since MacGyver is going to be picking up 40% of my salary, and I've already gone well over the amount of my time that Road Runner pays for, I think I'm easily justified in saying this. Maybe they can get Road Runner to help them ... oh, wait a minute: she doesn't know how to do the analysis!
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA

Post by DukePA » March 31st, 2015, 10:42 pm

Perfect, AD. I love it.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 31st, 2015, 11:08 pm

AD, I think that's a fine idea. Appropriate use of resources usually works as a reason not to do something, at least in government circles.
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 1st, 2015, 8:37 am

Thanks but not thanks siting other commitments works for me. I well phrased "I'd love to help BUT' goes a long way. Graciously thank them...and walking away quietly.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » April 1st, 2015, 6:53 pm

I'm never shy in turning down invitations.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 1st, 2015, 7:17 pm

windsor wrote:Thanks but not thanks siting other commitments works for me. I well phrased "I'd love to help BUT' goes a long way. Graciously thank them...and walking away quietly.
Done. I used the "I cannot give this project the time it deserves" line. And, I seriously cannot give this project the time it deserves. It took a ridiculous amount of time to do what I've already done. Cannot even imagine how much longer it will take to do what Pippi and Natasha are envisioning.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

As the Bunsen Burns

Post by ArkieDukie » April 1st, 2015, 7:35 pm

Wile E. Coyote may have really, really gotten himself into trouble today. As you may recall, he's having problems with one of his instruments, and The Boss asked me to step in and help with getting the repairs done. This has been going on for a while now, partially because Wile E. Coyote's wife is refusing to perform the experiment that the company has been requesting for roughly 2 months now. Well, Mrs. WEC sent an email today saying that the problem hadn't been fixed. I called the service manager and had a chat with him. After doing so, I sent a response to Mrs. WEC's email in which I told her I had spoken with the service manager and requested that she run the f-ing experiment already so they could use the info in the data files for diagnostic purposes. They also expressed an interest in getting data files so their experts could track the issue and find a possible source as well. I also noted in my message to her that the service engineer and I had seen a catastrophic instrument failure back in early October, and asked if she had noticed anything that happened around that time that could be a possible source of the problem. I also asked if they had done any sort of maintenance on the instrument. In response, she went through data files before the catastrophic failure and took screen caps of isolated scan events that showed the problem in question. WEC then sent an email to The Boss and to me in which he said that we now have solid evidence that the problem existed since installation. The idiot then proceeded to write an email to the service manager (copying The Boss and me), citing his alleged evidence, telling him that we would not be financially responsible for any of the repairs on the instrument, and demanding that they immediately replace his instrument with one that meets specs. Sounds good on paper, right? Well, the idiot signed off on the instrument when it was installed - over 2 years ago. By signing off on the instrument, he said that the instrument was good. As an added bonus, they didn't start complaining about the current problem until last fall, roughly six months after the warranty expired on his instrument. As an added bonus, he didn't buy a service agreement (i.e. extended warranty) on his instrument. Had he done so, the company would be responsible for repair or replacement. Right now all bets are off. I would not be surprised at all if they sic their legal department on him.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA

Re: As the Bunsen Burns

Post by DukePA » April 1st, 2015, 9:11 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Wile E. Coyote may have really, really gotten himself into trouble today. As you may recall, he's having problems with one of his instruments, and The Boss asked me to step in and help with getting the repairs done. This has been going on for a while now, partially because Wile E. Coyote's wife is refusing to perform the experiment that the company has been requesting for roughly 2 months now. Well, Mrs. WEC sent an email today saying that the problem hadn't been fixed. I called the service manager and had a chat with him. After doing so, I sent a response to Mrs. WEC's email in which I told her I had spoken with the service manager and requested that she run the f-ing experiment already so they could use the info in the data files for diagnostic purposes. They also expressed an interest in getting data files so their experts could track the issue and find a possible source as well. I also noted in my message to her that the service engineer and I had seen a catastrophic instrument failure back in early October, and asked if she had noticed anything that happened around that time that could be a possible source of the problem. I also asked if they had done any sort of maintenance on the instrument. In response, she went through data files before the catastrophic failure and took screen caps of isolated scan events that showed the problem in question. WEC then sent an email to The Boss and to me in which he said that we now have solid evidence that the problem existed since installation. The idiot then proceeded to write an email to the service manager (copying The Boss and me), citing his alleged evidence, telling him that we would not be financially responsible for any of the repairs on the instrument, and demanding that they immediately replace his instrument with one that meets specs. Sounds good on paper, right? Well, the idiot signed off on the instrument when it was installed - over 2 years ago. By signing off on the instrument, he said that the instrument was good. As an added bonus, they didn't start complaining about the current problem until last fall, roughly six months after the warranty expired on his instrument. As an added bonus, he didn't buy a service agreement (i.e. extended warranty) on his instrument. Had he done so, the company would be responsible for repair or replacement. Right now all bets are off. I would not be surprised at all if they sic their legal department on him.
What a freaking dumb ass. :-o :-o :-o
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 1st, 2015, 9:27 pm

I'm surprised you don't mention more people being burned by the Bunsen burner. There appear to be many self-inflicted wounds.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: As the Bunsen Burns

Post by windsor » April 2nd, 2015, 7:50 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Wile E. Coyote may have really, really gotten himself into trouble today. As you may recall, he's having problems with one of his instruments, and The Boss asked me to step in and help with getting the repairs done. This has been going on for a while now, partially because Wile E. Coyote's wife is refusing to perform the experiment that the company has been requesting for roughly 2 months now. Well, Mrs. WEC sent an email today saying that the problem hadn't been fixed. I called the service manager and had a chat with him. After doing so, I sent a response to Mrs. WEC's email in which I told her I had spoken with the service manager and requested that she run the f-ing experiment already so they could use the info in the data files for diagnostic purposes. They also expressed an interest in getting data files so their experts could track the issue and find a possible source as well. I also noted in my message to her that the service engineer and I had seen a catastrophic instrument failure back in early October, and asked if she had noticed anything that happened around that time that could be a possible source of the problem. I also asked if they had done any sort of maintenance on the instrument. In response, she went through data files before the catastrophic failure and took screen caps of isolated scan events that showed the problem in question. WEC then sent an email to The Boss and to me in which he said that we now have solid evidence that the problem existed since installation. The idiot then proceeded to write an email to the service manager (copying The Boss and me), citing his alleged evidence, telling him that we would not be financially responsible for any of the repairs on the instrument, and demanding that they immediately replace his instrument with one that meets specs. Sounds good on paper, right? Well, the idiot signed off on the instrument when it was installed - over 2 years ago. By signing off on the instrument, he said that the instrument was good. As an added bonus, they didn't start complaining about the current problem until last fall, roughly six months after the warranty expired on his instrument. As an added bonus, he didn't buy a service agreement (i.e. extended warranty) on his instrument. Had he done so, the company would be responsible for repair or replacement. Right now all bets are off. I would not be surprised at all if they sic their legal department on him.

Beauty may be skin deep...but stupid goes down to the bone. What a dumb ass.
offcliff.jpg
offcliff.jpg (21.29 KiB) Viewed 249 times
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 2nd, 2015, 11:11 am

The fun continues. This morning he contacted the sales person who sold him the instrument and asked for his help in resolving the issue. He asked the sales rep and the service manager to come here as soon as possible to Meet with him to determine who is responsible for the repairs. There was also a very thinly veiled threat to bring in lawyers, if my read of his message was correct. He has already spoken with The Boss, so I'm assuming he's squarely in WEC's corner now. I have a meeting with The Boss later today to discuss my work responsibilities, so I assume this issue will come up.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 2nd, 2015, 12:04 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:The fun continues. This morning he contacted the sales person who sold him the instrument and asked for his help in resolving the issue. He asked the sales rep and the service manager to come here as soon as possible to Meet with him to determine who is responsible for the repairs. There was also a very thinly veiled threat to bring in lawyers, if my read of his message was correct. He has already spoken with The Boss, so I'm assuming he's squarely in WEC's corner now. I have a meeting with The Boss later today to discuss my work responsibilities, so I assume this issue will come up.
The Boss maybe squarely in the corner of letting WEC sabre rattle to keep the repairs from hitting his bottom line :)
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 2nd, 2015, 2:23 pm

Springsteen or Mitch Ryder?

Foreshadowing on his Bruce's part from 40 years ago?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 2nd, 2015, 4:40 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Springsteen or Mitch Ryder?

Foreshadowing on his Bruce's part from 40 years ago?
Assuming you are referring to Devil with the Blue Dress, I still like Mitch Ryder's version, though Bruce's medley absolutely rocks, especially live. You ought to look up/listen to the original version by Shorty Long. Completely different take/feel/production. If you do that, I'll check back later and post a comment about it ;) .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 2nd, 2015, 6:10 pm

Definitely a different feel, I prefer the more uptempo versions.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 2nd, 2015, 6:21 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Definitely a different feel, I prefer the more uptempo versions.
For our younger daughter's wedding, the father-daughter dance was a medley of about 60-90 seconds each: a Shag to the original Motown version of Devil, a Rumba to My Girl and an East Coast Swing to Mitch Ryder's version of Devil. It was quite fun. That was of course after the :duke: made a surprise (cough, cough) appearance and danced with her to Hey, Baby.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.