LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Lavabe » March 13th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Didn't we once have an academic integrity thread, Arkie? :-\
OY!!
SORRY about the bad news, Arkie!
Virtual shin-kicks are flying towards WEC!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 13th, 2015, 7:22 pm

It gets better. WEC walked into Doogie's office this morning and demanded that Doogie provide a research description for his grant by the end of the day. Apparently the little weasel desperately needs "minor users" for his grant, and he wants Doogie to make up something relating to WEC's area of interest. Given my experience when I dared to go against WEC, Doogie told WEC that he would provide this information to him on Tuesday. (Doogie has his own grant due on Monday and didn't have time to do WEC's bidding immediately.) It's pretty sad when people cooperate with WEC against their own wishes simply because they're afraid of drawing The Boss' ire.

I had a chat with our local person in the grants office who has been assigned to work on WEC's grant. She's aware of the run-in I had with him, and she's aware that he's planning to lie to the NIH. For various reasons that I won't go into, we suspect he's going to fabricate collaborations in an attempt to make his grant look better. So, we're preparing for him. I sent my biosketch to my friend (the person WEC's grant is assigned to), along with a statement to the effect that if she received something different than the document I provided to her, the changes were made without my knowledge/consent. She's also going to follow up with all the people he lists as collaborators to make sure that they know they're being included in WEC's grant. If the answer is no, she is going to turn his ass in to the Academic Integrity office.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » March 13th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Thank goodness for your friend in the grant office. That's a relief.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 13th, 2015, 9:48 pm

Better your friend than you. You've been down that rabbit hole once before!

LGD GTHc :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 14th, 2015, 9:55 am

:angry-devil: The wrong Devil showed up last night. It was painful. I can't imagine how the team feels. :ymhug: I'm a Notre Dame fan for tomorrow night. :9f: Today will be a better day.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 14th, 2015, 12:32 pm

image.jpg
At the Itish fest in WS. The cake looking thing is spotted dick. Hopefully eating spotted dick won't kill any political ambitions I might have. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 14th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Max has committed to NC State. He was so impressed with the biology professor. She has a very high percent of past students, who wanted to get into med school, being accepted. Dawn and Mark were also very impressed. When he went to unc, he left unimpressed. He does love Campbell but felt State was a much better fit. We're happy for him. Congratulations Max!! :ymhug:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 14th, 2015, 2:49 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:Max has committed to NC State. He was so impressed with the biology professor. She has a very high percent of past students, who wanted to get into med school, being accepted. Dawn and Mark were also very impressed. When he went to unc, he left unimpressed. He does love Campbell but felt State was a much better fit. We're happy for him. Congratulations Max!! :ymhug:
Hooray for Max! Congratulations all around.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 14th, 2015, 3:20 pm

LG, thank you. We are all very happy and excited.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 14th, 2015, 5:28 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:Max has committed to NC State. He was so impressed with the biology professor. She has a very high percent of past students, who wanted to get into med school, being accepted. Dawn and Mark were also very impressed. When he went to unc, he left unimpressed. He does love Campbell but felt State was a much better fit. We're happy for him. Congratulations Max!! :ymhug:
Terrific news! Plus red is a much better color than baby blue.
Life is good!
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » March 15th, 2015, 8:32 am

Congratulations to Max!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 15th, 2015, 5:32 pm

So the ACC moves their tournament to Saturday in order not to impact Selection Sunday.

It is past 5:30. The selection show begins at 6. The Big Whatever championship is in overtime with the presumptive darling Wisconsin in a tie with Michigan State.

Did the Big Whatever not get the memo, or are they just stupid? :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 15th, 2015, 5:52 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:So the ACC moves their tournament to Saturday in order not to impact Selection Sunday.

It is past 5:30. The selection show begins at 6. The Big Whatever championship is in overtime with the presumptive darling Wisconsin in a tie with Michigan State.

Hubris.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 15th, 2015, 5:55 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:So the ACC moves their tournament to Saturday in order not to impact Selection Sunday.

Big Integer is apparently giving the big finger
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 15th, 2015, 8:23 pm

With a team of eight scholarship players (drink), I am glad for the extra day of rest. :ymsigh:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 19th, 2015, 10:11 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWbU2DuWSGE

I had to bring this one out of the way back machine....

Fight Fiercely HARVARD!!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

As the Bunsen Burns

Post by ArkieDukie » March 19th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Lots of intrigue this week. First for the big news: apparently The Boss is being recruited by Northwestern for an equivalent position. This is the time for him to move, if he's going to do so. The department jumped dramatically in the rankings (based on extramural funding) during his leadership, so he's got spin. On the flip side, he does not get along with his boss (the Provost). Also, the department dropped ever so slightly in the rankings last year. In summary, the time is ripe to move up in the world if he should choose to do so.

Now, what does this mean for me? It all depends. The Boss pays a huge majority of my salary, so my job could disappear if he goes. However, MacGyver is prepared to step up and pay my salary. His grant money has finally come in, and he can cover me for the next 5 years. He has already talked to The Boss about this; all that's left to do is finalize the percentage that The Boss will let MacGyver cover. I popped into The Boss' office earlier this week to affirm my desire to work with MacGyver, and I also told him that I want to be off Road Runner's project completely. My justification was the huge discrepancy between time spent and salary covered; I told him that it prevents me from being able to do work for others. He seemed receptive to what I had to say. MacGyver is supposed to be meeting with him sometime tomorrow. All I can say is this: Road Runner is NOT going to be happy. I will need to be sure that I'm somewhere far, far away when she finds out. :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: As the Bunsen Burns

Post by DukieInKansas » March 20th, 2015, 1:17 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Lots of intrigue this week. First for the big news: apparently The Boss is being recruited by Northwestern for an equivalent position. This is the time for him to move, if he's going to do so. The department jumped dramatically in the rankings (based on extramural funding) during his leadership, so he's got spin. On the flip side, he does not get along with his boss (the Provost). Also, the department dropped ever so slightly in the rankings last year. In summary, the time is ripe to move up in the world if he should choose to do so.

Now, what does this mean for me? It all depends. The Boss pays a huge majority of my salary, so my job could disappear if he goes. However, MacGyver is prepared to step up and pay my salary. His grant money has finally come in, and he can cover me for the next 5 years. He has already talked to The Boss about this; all that's left to do is finalize the percentage that The Boss will let MacGyver cover. I popped into The Boss' office earlier this week to affirm my desire to work with MacGyver, and I also told him that I want to be off Road Runner's project completely. My justification was the huge discrepancy between time spent and salary covered; I told him that it prevents me from being able to do work for others. He seemed receptive to what I had to say. MacGyver is supposed to be meeting with him sometime tomorrow. All I can say is this: Road Runner is NOT going to be happy. I will need to be sure that I'm somewhere far, far away when she finds out. :ymdevil:
But could you plant a nanny cam so that we can watch the fireworks?
Life is good!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: As the Bunsen Burns

Post by bjornolf » March 20th, 2015, 5:03 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Lots of intrigue this week. First for the big news: apparently The Boss is being recruited by Northwestern for an equivalent position. This is the time for him to move, if he's going to do so. The department jumped dramatically in the rankings (based on extramural funding) during his leadership, so he's got spin. On the flip side, he does not get along with his boss (the Provost). Also, the department dropped ever so slightly in the rankings last year. In summary, the time is ripe to move up in the world if he should choose to do so.

But could you plant a nanny cam so that we can watch the fireworks?
Yes please. :text-worthless:
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 20th, 2015, 7:36 am

Added bonus: if The Boss leaves, Wile E. Coyote cannot be far behind. Either The Boss will get him a position at Northwestern, or he will leave and go elsewhere. In any event, WEC will not last long without having The Boss here to coddle him by writing his grants for him. Everyone else here recognizes that he is an idiot- unless they, themselves, are idiots.
-- Albert Einstein