Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » March 8th, 2015, 11:43 am

Where did the time go today?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 8th, 2015, 12:15 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Where did the time go today?
I believe it sprang forward. :Boo:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 8th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I must remember to honor the "ignore" feature on CTN.

:9f:
Mmmm, three guesses and the first two are wrong. :D
You've got it! :D

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 8th, 2015, 11:05 pm

DukePA wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Recently, I went to superior court for a plea hearing. I arrived at 9:00 a.m. Calendar call was scheduled for 10:00 a.m. The assistant district attorney sent me away, telling me that he had several jury trials ahead of my plea hearing, and that he would call me and let me know when to come to court. I gave him both my office number and my cell number.

At 2:15 that afternoon, I got a call from his legal assistant, asking me to come to court. I arrived in the courtroom at 2:30. The judge was handling a matter with an unrepresented defendant when I arrived.

Then, the judge turned to me and told me that he had been waiting for me for 45 minutes. I told him that I had just gotten the call at 2:15. He said, "The assistant district attorney tells me that he called you at 12:00 noon." I told him that my call hadn't come until 2:15. The judge wouldn't let me speak with my client in an interview room; he wouldn't let me speak with the D.A. to finish working out the deal (my client had a plea deal for "attempted common law robbery," but the ADA told me that he was revoking this deal because my client had gotten charged with something else in the meantime.) We needed to reflect the new plea agreement on the Boykin (plea) form.

"You can meet with your client right here at this table," the judge told me, gesturing to the defense counsel's table. We started the plea hearing. When my client told the judge that he hadn't had an opportunity to go over the Boykin (plea agreement) form with his attorney, the judge stopped the hearing and allowed us to confer (in public, in front of everyone, including the ENTIRE jury pool for the county that week).

During the sentencing phase, the ADA didn't tell the judge about my client's pending charges. Neither did I, but that's not my duty or obligation. It belongs to the prosecutor. At the end of the sentencing (probation) the ADA told the judge, "He can't be on probation because he has pending charges." The judge then said, "You could have saved all of us at least 10 minutes if you'd mentioned that to me earlier."

After the hearing, I went back in to lock-up with my client. I explained to him what was going on. When I finished, the judge was in the hallway. He said to me, "Why weren't you here? We have waited for you. You need to understand that I have a courtroom full of taxpayers and they don't want to see us wasting their time." I told him that I had showed up an hour early for court in the morning, and that the ADA had sent me back to my office with a promise that he would call me when he was ready for our hearing. I showed the judge my telephone and told him that I hadn't gotten any messages or calls from the ADA on my cell phone. I told him that the first call I had gotten was at 2:15 at my office.

The judge told me, "That D.A. threw you under the bus, didn't he? You need to talk to him." So, I went over to the prosecutor's table to speak to the ADA. And then, the judge called court to order, so I whispered to the ADA, "Call me. We need to talk." And then I left the courtroom.

The DA called me later that afternoon. It seems as though after I left the courtroom, the judge went on the record about our matter and accused the ADA of not having full candor with the court. And wouldn't you know it, as the DA reached me on my cell phone, the voice message that he had left me at 1:28 p.m. also pushed through on my phone.

So, he HAD been honest with the judge. He had left a message with me on my cell phone. And I had been honest with the judge, too. I hadn't received the message (until 4:11 that afternoon).

A few days later, this little nugget appeared in our daily paper in a feature called "Bless Your Heart," in which subscribers can anonymously air their petty grievances:
"BYH to the employees of the courthouse who have to be belittled in Superior Court. As I sat in jury duty today I can’t understand how a judge has so much lack of respect for prosecutors and defense attorneys."
And to think that the judge was worried about wasting the taxpayers' time.

Wow. Sounds like someone needs to retire. What a jerk.
According to those in the know, the judge has about 2 years to go until MANDATORY retirement.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » March 9th, 2015, 12:27 am

Hey Roy,

Don't look now, but K has another win. That makes 1011. Hope you put a dry erase feature on that plaque. No? ~X( You mean you have to keep going back to the plaque store? Well, you're only one man. Can't be expected to think of everything. Right?

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 9th, 2015, 9:50 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Hey Roy,

Don't look now, but K has another win. That makes 1011. Hope you put a dry erase feature on that plaque. No? ~X( You mean you have to keep going back to the plaque store? Well, you're only one man. Can't be expected to think of everything. Right?

Love, Ima

=)) =))

Maybe you will run into Ole Roy at the Country Club, and tell me that!!!! :)
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 9th, 2015, 10:14 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Hey Roy,

Love, Ima
I don't think Ol' Roy is in the dad gum plaque changing spirit.

Wonder if he still wants to beat our butts so bad he can taste it. :ymsick: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 9th, 2015, 10:23 am

Something amusing from the Clerk's office:

One of our clerks is married to the local middle school principal. I like the guy except for his awful taste in sports teams. He positively despises the correct color of blue. His wife, not so much (I think she is indifferent.) They have a seventeen year old daughter interested in neurology. She applied to three schools: UVA, Duke, and that location which should not be named, where her dad was pushing her to go.

So I went this morning to the Clerk's office to do some paperwork and I asked Anita if Ben had settled down since Saturday night. She got a gleam in her eye, and said, "you know she didn't get into unc, right?" I said I hadn't heard that. Anita said, "yes, but Saturday morning she got her invite to Blue Devil Day." :D

I suspect she will go to UVA; instate tuition is a big drawing card. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 9th, 2015, 10:27 am

Bud is one his way home from Jamaica. He has been on a medical missionary trip. He has repeatedly said what a wonderful experience it has been. The group was housed in a monastery. They went to clinics and neighborhoods every day to take care of patients. The group also participated with the monks church services, 3 times a day and 5 prayer sessions a day. The group also took turns with kitchen duty and cleaning.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 9th, 2015, 10:33 am

image.jpg
My older son had studio shots 2 weeks ago.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 9th, 2015, 10:34 am

image.jpg
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 9th, 2015, 2:18 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
image.jpg

Even sideways, he's one good looking dude!
Life is good!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 9th, 2015, 3:15 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
image.jpg
re

Both are really nice pictures. Sweet. :O3
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 9th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Cute dog. :O3
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 9th, 2015, 4:27 pm

Tyler Approves...a fine looking dog!
tyler_fiar.jpg
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 9th, 2015, 4:36 pm

windsor wrote:Tyler Approves...a fine looking dog!
tyler_fiar.jpg
And Tyler is a handsome young man in his own right!
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » March 9th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Some handsome man-dogs posted here! Soon, an hopefully very soon, I'll have some lady-dog photos to post too! ;)
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » March 9th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Very handsome fellows in this thread! I shall not spoil it with my likeness.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 9th, 2015, 8:38 pm

windsor wrote:Tyler Approves...a fine looking dog!
tyler_fiar.jpg
Yes, Tyler is a winner.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 9th, 2015, 8:43 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Very handsome fellows in this thread! I shall not spoil it with my likeness.
I love cats. Especially our Mikey and my grandcats. :ymhug: