Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by Turk » July 3rd, 2013, 10:09 am

But wait, there's more!!

Forgot to mention when Sam Adams Boston Lager hit the scene in the mid-80's, it was brewed at Pittsburgh Brewing and was available for deep discounts in the Pittsburgh area. The story I heard was that the brewery was chosen because it had the old-school 100% copper brewing equipment, but it could have been they were also hurting for money and had the extra capacity. Anyway, I used to win bets against naive DC yuppies when I would casually mention, "Yeah, this Sam Adams stuff is pretty good beer. Funny it's made by the same people who make Iron City." And when they'd call BS, I'd show them the label where it said "in cooperation with Pittsburgh Brewing Company" or something like that.

I credit Sam and Guinness (and a day job) for opening my beer horizons beyond the whatever's cheapest BudMillerCoors dreck.

P.S. And no offense taken, of course. Thanks for tolerating obscure stories of inbred Pittsburgh business trivia...

And did you notice who has the best record in baseball? :Pirate: :AR! :Pirate: :AR! :Pirate: :AR! :Pirate: :AR! :Pirate:
Raise the Jolly Roger!!
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Turk

Post by Turk » July 3rd, 2013, 10:16 am

Also, never did hear from Lavabe about any good beer finds on his college tour... (hint hint)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 3rd, 2013, 10:20 pm

Turk wrote:Also, never did hear from Lavabe about any good beer finds on his college tour... (hint hint)
I think he posted about one brew. Slacker.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 4th, 2013, 11:21 am

Hoptimum (2012 edition)-Sierra Nevda Brewing

Hop bomb/explosion alert. I think this brew has been around for several years but has not graced my palate until this week. My daughter found a 4 pack of this at Sam's in Derm a couple weeks ago for about $10 and she dropped off the goodies last week while visiting as I searched for Rocky Mountain brews. The variety and quantity of hops used cover about all bases of flavors/tastes from intense grapefuitiness to oily, resinous piney notes. The IBU are a stunning 100 making it one of the more bitter brews SN has produced. Perhaps even most bitter as I believe Bigfoot weighs in at "only" 96 or 98 IBU. It pours an orange-yellow with a large creamy head. Hops are the winners here but there are more than sufficient quantities of caramel and pale malts to nearly balance the assault on your bitterness sensors and have this check in at 10.4% ABV. This is a sipping beer so if you can find any, rinse out your snifter, let your bottle sit on the counter for about 15 minutes before decanting and then savor this rare find. I have 3 bottles left and one is for my son when he moves back to NC next month, one is to cellar for a year or more and fuse gets the final treasure.

From the brewer:

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Originally purchased c. March, 2012, this represents a (late) one year old tasting.

I think the hops/bitterness are a bit toned down after about 15-16 months of aging. Still "rind-y" in aroma and taste, I think it had a bit more wine-y notes last PM. Generous head with a standard pour and a bit cloudy after the cellaring. I think I have one bottle left so in 2014, I'll return. Also, this brew earned a 100 rating from ratebeer.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 4th, 2013, 6:34 pm

devildeac wrote:
Turk wrote:Also, never did hear from Lavabe about any good beer finds on his college tour... (hint hint)
I think he posted about one brew. Slacker.
Technically, it's a bit difficult financially to do all these trips while carting around ILJ and LL. I rarely get any time to relax and have a brew. Pittsburgh got messy for brew shopping, as we arrived late at night in the midst of loads of thunderstorms, and barely got to Pitt the next morning. Shortly after that, we had to head home. Not enough time to go beer shopping... this time. Neat school!

Likewise, on the way up to Michigan, we passed through Toledo, and there was a sign for Tony Packo's. Couldn't do it, as we were running late to get there for the college tour.

Chicago was an easy one to select and find a brew.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 4th, 2013, 8:44 pm

I had an Amstel Light with dinner this evening.
Turk

Post by Turk » July 4th, 2013, 10:50 pm

I had Water Gap Wheat Ale from Appalachian Brewing Company with the traditional burgers and dogs. I was too tired and hungry to pay attention for a good review, I was just in snarf mode. Maybe next time...

Sampler pack has Purist Pale Ale, Mountain Lager, and "Jolly Scot" Scottish Ale.

http://www.abcbrew.com/craft-beers/flag ... lty-beers/
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 4th, 2013, 11:59 pm

Turk wrote:I had Water Gap Wheat Ale from Appalachian Brewing Company with the traditional burgers and dogs. I was too tired and hungry to pay attention for a good review, I was just in snarf mode. Maybe next time...

Sampler pack has Purist Pale Ale, Mountain Lager, and "Jolly Scot" Scottish Ale.

http://www.abcbrew.com/craft-beers/flag ... lty-beers/
When we made our Civil War "tour" last month, I saw the Appalachian Brewing Company but we just ran out of afternoons/evenings for brew pub dinners :ymblushing: . We went to the Blue Mountain Brewing Company for lunch in Afton, Virginia between visiting Appomattox and the Grand Caverns. Then we went to the Iron Hill Brewing Company in Lancaster on Friday night after a full day at Gettysburg. Had dinner with family on Saturday night and then the Hardywood Brewing Company in Richmond for Father's Day lunch on Sunday. Mrs. DD does NOT drink the malted/fermented beverages so any more breweries/brewpubs would have exceeded the marital/vacation limit #:-s .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 13th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Hicu-Magic Hat Brewing

I don't drink/review many bad brewings, but tonight I'll make an exception 'cuz I don't feel like searching for the Ycch, Beer thread. To painful to think/try to revive that one.

My (soon-to-be-ex) son-in-law (just kidding), gave me a couple brews last weekend for helping dog sit their black lab for about 10 days and this was one of them along with Summer Love which I have yet to sip. As you might venture a guess, this is a summer seasonal from the somewhat wacky folks at Magic Hat and is a pale ale base with some wheat malt added. They shoulda stopped there. One of the bright folks in the beverage creation department thought is would be a good idea to add hibiscus to the fermentation process. Not a bad thought as it should lend a bit of a floral scent to the final product and it did. Their bad idea was the infusion of cucumber juice to the beverage. Smelled and tasted like the fancy cucumber water you might sip at a reception with a bit of caramel syrup added. Not a pleasant experience. IBU of 35 and ABV of 4.2%. I guess it's worth a single to try one to be adventurous. Better yet, buy one and split it 3-4 ways so you don't have to drink a whole bottle. Can't think of anything I'd pair this with and I don't believe it would be any better on draft. Some folks at rate beer gave this ratings of <1 which I rarely see. Needless to say, there won't be any extras to slip in my next trader 6er with anyone :ymblushing: .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 13th, 2013, 10:09 pm

18th Anniversary Wood Aged Double IPA (March, 2012 bottling)-Great Divide Brewing

Original review from May, 2012:

It looks like this is the 3rd year they have released this but it could be more as I do not recall many Great Divide brews making it to NC much earlier than 3 years ago. This $9 bomber which I divided over 2 nights was pretty much as expected but the wood aging (no bourbon) removed most of the roughness or bitterness that can accompany many DIPAs. The pour was slightly reddish amber and clear with a mixed bouquet of citrus and pine with tastes to match and an estimated IBU of about 90 so this is not for the faint of palate. Plenty of malty, caramel sweetness balances the hop bite and it is listed at 10% ABV. The very mild vanilla tastes from the wood aging makes this high gravity ale dangerously easy to sip. I'd have this as an after dinner digestif served slightly chilled in a snifter. I actually bought this one myself along with a 2nd bottle to hide in the cellar for a year or two and see how it "matures."

The 16 month aged version:

I'm not sure I perceive many differences after the cellaring process for this one. Still a hop monster but perhaps a bit more subdued than the original tasting. Plenty of pine and resin and a bit less citrus. Very mild "woody" tastes from the barrel aging. Additional serving suggestions would be with hot/spicy foods. Always worth buying an extra bomber from these folks so you can enjoy one now and then wait a year or more to have the "leftover." It looks like they have barrel aged several of their other brews now, including a new (#6 now I think) Yeti species.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 14th, 2013, 10:10 am

devildeac wrote:Hicu-Magic Hat Brewing

I don't drink/review many bad brewings, but tonight I'll make an exception 'cuz I don't feel like searching for the Ycch, Beer thread. To painful to think/try to revive that one.

They shoulda stopped there. One of the bright folks in the beverage creation department thought is would be a good idea to add hibiscus to the fermentation process. Not a bad thought as it should lend a bit of a floral scent to the final product and it did. Their bad idea was the infusion of cucumber juice to the beverage. Smelled and tasted like the fancy cucumber water you might sip at a reception with a bit of caramel syrup added. Not a pleasant experience.
As a side note, NEVER add anything root beer flavored to a 55 gallon drum of "end of semester Hairy Buff". Voice of (a bad) experience. :ymdevil:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 15th, 2013, 11:02 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

They shoulda stopped there. One of the bright folks in the beverage creation department thought is would be a good idea to add hibiscus to the fermentation process. Not a bad thought as it should lend a bit of a floral scent to the final product and it did. Their bad idea was the infusion of cucumber juice to the beverage. Smelled and tasted like the fancy cucumber water you might sip at a reception with a bit of caramel syrup added. Not a pleasant experience.
As a side note, NEVER add anything root beer flavored to a 55 gallon drum of "end of semester Hairy Buff". Voice of (a bad) experience. :ymdevil:
I think I might amend your warning to, "NEVER drink anything called "Hairy Buff." :ymsick:

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 15th, 2013, 12:31 pm

CathyCA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

I think I might amend your warning to, "NEVER drink anything called "Hairy Buff." :ymsick:

You've obviously been a past participant in the Phi Psi Hairy Buff party! ;) B-) :D :9f:

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 15th, 2013, 2:28 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: You've obviously been a past participant in the Phi Psi Hairy Buff party! ;) B-) :D :9f:
Not Phi Psi. Phi Delts. B-)

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 15th, 2013, 5:21 pm

CathyCA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: You've obviously been a past participant in the Phi Psi Hairy Buff party! ;) B-) :D :9f:

But but but - you dated a Phi Psi! Did they not do it anymore in the 80's? Did they not have the latex lined 55 gallon Duke Blue drum with a spigot on the (bottom) side?

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 16th, 2013, 5:02 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

But but but - you dated a Phi Psi! Did they not do it anymore in the 80's? Did they not have the latex lined 55 gallon Duke Blue drum with a spigot on the (bottom) side?
Nope. Hairy Buffalo was the Phi Delts' party in the '80s. Phi Psis were known for their Red Light District party.

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Real beer review next post.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Summer Love-Victory Brewing

Characterized as a golden ale, it is not in the Belgian style of golden ale, just golden (yellow) in color. Modest, fluffy head, mild nose of grapefruit from the Simcoe hops, a bit of pine from the Citra variety and some floral scents from the German Tettnang hops. Light, caramel notes form the pale malts. No IBU listed but I'd guess 30 and the ABV is 5.2% so a nice summer porch sipping ale. A gift from my younger son-in-law along with the Hicu reviewed upthread. He redeemed himself with this selection so he remains in the family.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Chicory Stout-Dogfish Head

A gift/trader kindly provided by fuse a few weeks back. I intended to save this until the fall/winter but I split a bottle with a brother-in-law last PM who arrived for a visit and wanted some of my specialty beers. After all, what are family members for-to drink your alcohol and eat your food. I haven't had one of these in a decade or so and, even on a warm summer night, found it pleasant and distinctive. I'll allow the DFH PR department inform you what's in this one along with a bit of history:

"Chicory was one of the first beers we started brewing at our pub back when it opened in 1995. It's a dark beer made with a bunch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John's Wort and licorice root. We use whole-leaf Cascade and Fuggle hops, as well as pale, roasted and oatmeal grains."

Poured a near black with a tan head, the aromas were darkly roasted coffee and herbs and the tastes were the same with a modest amount of bitterness, mainly from the chicory I guess and not the hops, as the IBUs were only 21. ABV weighed in at 5.2% so this would be tasty with a splash of cream (kidding) and a cinnamon pastry or pound cake. Maybe even for/with breakfast.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 19th, 2013, 10:19 am

Natty Green Buckshot Amber Ale on tap. I've had this three times at Grasshoppers' games, including a couple last night. It's very drinkable, especially ice cold at a baseball game, and is similar to Yuengling. And $3 for a large (18 oz) cup is a good deal! B-) :9f: