LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » February 8th, 2015, 8:13 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:AD: you are not over-reacting. Publicly available means publicly available.
Exactly. Even worse, by taking the senior author spot, she's implying that she conceived of the experiment and oversaw the work. She didn't do squat. The only thing she did was okay a courtesy request to use the data. She did not come up with the idea to change the software, and she didn't do any of the programming. Arrogant and awfully close to unethical IMO.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 8th, 2015, 8:14 pm

IowaDevil wrote:
image.jpg
Newest Iowa Devil - Miss Pippi Longstocking! Only 3 weeks old but already barking GTHc GTH :9f:

PS: She is going to grow up to be a black and silver mini Schnauzer!
She's so cute! I love puppies.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 8th, 2015, 8:16 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Funny Varnish Zone story:

On Friday, during our office mandated lunch, Wayne the Midget Pervert prosecutor was fussing about his caseload having many defendants named Johnson. Said people would call him and leave messages about the Johnson case, and he didn't know which one they were talking about. Whereupon Awbrey, the newest attorney and a quiet young lady, turned to me and said, "Dawn, don't you have a Johnson?" :-o :-o :-o :9f:
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 8th, 2015, 8:17 pm

On Friday, during our office mandated lunch, Wayne the Midget Pervert prosecutor was fussing about his caseload having many defendants named Johnson. Said people would call him and leave messages about the Johnson case, and he didn't know which one they were talking about. Whereupon Awbrey, the newest attorney and a quiet young lady, turned to me and said, "Dawn, don't you have a Johnson?" :-o :-o :-o :9f:
What a great story! It must go in your book.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 8th, 2015, 8:19 pm

The U of A is giving chocolate covered bacon to the first 100 students at the Lady Razorbacks basketball game tomorrow night. Great promo, right?
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » February 8th, 2015, 8:52 pm

The University of Arizona?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 8th, 2015, 8:54 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:The University of Arizona?
Arkansas
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 8th, 2015, 8:55 pm

The University of Alabama?
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 9th, 2015, 7:20 am

lawgrad91 wrote:AD: you are not over-reacting. Publicly available means publicly available.

Agree completely. She is desperate for recognition and attention - and is just grabbing at anything that will shine her ass.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » February 9th, 2015, 8:10 am

=)) =)) =)) =))
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 9th, 2015, 9:10 am

Whereupon Awbrey, the newest attorney and a quiet young lady, turned to me and said, "Dawn, don't you have a Johnson?" :-o :-o :-o :9f:
Insert Big Johnson joke here... =)) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: As the Bunsen Burns

Post by Turk » February 9th, 2015, 9:42 am

ArkieDukie wrote: You may recall that one of my favorite software companies asked me to give a talk at their users' meeting. In the course of that conversation, they asked me about using data from our most recent publication (technically RR's data, but I'm first author on the paper) to test the new release of the software. Since the data files are in a public repository they're fair game as far as I'm concerned. I gave them the index number for the files and told them to have fun. Didn't mention it to RR because, well, the data files are publicly available. I received another phone call yesterday from my friends at the company, asking my permission to use the the results of their analysis in their poster at the upcoming professional meeting. I told them that it should be okay since it's public, but they should really ask RR if they felt the need to get permission. A nice bit of courtesy but unnecessary IMO. They did. She insisted on being senior author on their poster. I'm 2nd author, over several people in the company. This just gets all over me. What the hell work did she do in developing their software? They took information that was publicly available from our paper and reanalyzed our data files in order to show quantitative data. This happens all the time, but other investigators do not insist on being included in publications resulting from data in a public repository. They could maybe include me because I chatted with them about some stuff, but I certainly shouldn't be 2nd author. Acknowledgments would be fine. (rant over) Am I over-reacting, or does this seem a bit off to anyone else?
My 02: Yes, this is a bit off. The company is at fault here. When they got RR's request, the correct response should have been, "No, there's a misunderstanding. We're asking permission as a courtesy. You're not going to be author of anything; you didn't do any of the work. An acknowledgment will have to do." And if RR pressed it too far, the response is, "We beg to differ. The data is public; we'll cite our sources and references correctly; go away."

And I think you should insist that an acknowledgment is all you need as well (as galling as it might be to get mentioned in the same sentence with RR).
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Turk

Post by Turk » February 9th, 2015, 9:44 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Whereupon Awbrey, the newest attorney and a quiet young lady, turned to me and said, "Dawn, don't you have a Johnson?" :-o :-o :-o :9f:
That's what Mrs. Turk said!
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 9th, 2015, 10:56 am

IowaDevil wrote:
image.jpg
Newest Iowa Devil - Miss Pippi Longstocking! Only 3 weeks old but already barking GTHc GTH :9f:

Your Fur Baby is precious! :O3 :O3
Just wanna hold the little Pippi and give her a big squeeze and hug. :ymhug:
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 9th, 2015, 11:33 am

IowaDevil wrote:
image.jpg

She is adorable.
Life is good!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 9th, 2015, 6:07 pm

I'm being annexed...
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 9th, 2015, 9:14 pm

Not many posts in the last few hours. I wonder why that is?
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 9th, 2015, 9:50 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Someone refresh my memory: at whom was it that the Crazies chanted, "In-sert John-son!"?
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 9th, 2015, 9:59 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Someone refresh my memory: at whom was it that the Crazies chanted, "In-sert John-son!"?
that was Patrick Johnson 2002 to 2006 I think
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 10th, 2015, 9:34 am

windsor wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Someone refresh my memory: at whom was it that the Crazies chanted, "In-sert John-son!"?
that was Patrick Johnson 2002 to 2006 I think
Thanks, Windsor! :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.