LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by IowaDevil » February 5th, 2015, 12:15 pm

windsor wrote:Tyler is back home, a little stoned and none too pleased to be wearing a cone. He was lucky - they managed to get both jewels with one incision. He should be fine in a day or so. Jester is hovering over his little buddy. Tyler apparently did not ready the 'no jumping' instructions as he hopped up on the sofa seconds after coming in the house.

All is well.
Get better quick Tyler! :wizard: :wizard: Tell Mom that collar is nasty!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 5th, 2015, 3:02 pm

IowaDevil wrote:
windsor wrote:Tyler is back home, a little stoned and none too pleased to be wearing a cone. He was lucky - they managed to get both jewels with one incision. He should be fine in a day or so. Jester is hovering over his little buddy. Tyler apparently did not ready the 'no jumping' instructions as he hopped up on the sofa seconds after coming in the house.

All is well.
Get better quick Tyler! :wizard: :wizard: Tell Mom that collar is nasty!

Ty is coming around - Yesterday he was FRANTIC to get to the incision. Today, not so much. (the glue they use is water soluble so licking it is a bad bad thing)
Still a little stoned - not his usual self by a long shot. We have good input and good output (how is THAT for tasteful) - he is on pain meds today and tomorrow (gabapentin and valium - no wonder he's out of it!!!) His little tummy is all bruised :(
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 5th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Did Coach Cut undergo Hair Restoration? He had alot more hair yesterday!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » February 5th, 2015, 6:26 pm

I'm really surprised that his snip gave him so much trouble. We haven't had much experience with this but, Labs must be oblivious to pain. Neither of ours even seemed to notice that anything happened at all. How goofy is that?
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » February 5th, 2015, 8:47 pm

For those about to rock, we salute you!

I'm beginning to think there ismore meaning in that statement than first appears.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 6th, 2015, 6:59 am

It's another Friday!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 6th, 2015, 7:52 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I'm really surprised that his snip gave him so much trouble. We haven't had much experience with this but, Labs must be oblivious to pain. Neither of ours even seemed to notice that anything happened at all. How goofy is that?
Love, Ima

Labs have a ridiculous tolerance for pain. The problem with a lab is keeping them quiet long enough to heal! In Tyler's case he was crypt-orchid - they had to locate and maneuver the missing jewel into position and then get it out. Usually they try to do it without making a larger incision. In speaking to the vet yesterday he was under much longer than a normal snip. His entire abdomen is bruised from them working it back toward the incision. Anticipating this they maxed his pain meds. Plus, smaller dogs recover more slowly for some reason.

I am happy to report that the normal Tyler showed up today. He is back to his ol' self. Incision looks good and his appetite is back with a vengeance. He is a little miffed that he did not get his normal 'Toy Time' this morning with Jester (throwing the bumpers for them). I did not think 48 hours post op he should be wrestling the big guy lol.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 7th, 2015, 9:54 am

Game Day!

A great Coach K show that showed former Duke Basketball players congratulating Coach on 1000 wins! A good segment from Tom Butters, the AD that hired Coach K !
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 7th, 2015, 7:21 pm

It was a good day to be a Blue Devil fan.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » February 7th, 2015, 7:43 pm

[quote="windsor"
I am happy to report that the normal Tyler showed up today. He is back to his ol' self. Incision looks good and his appetite is back with a vengeance. He is a little miffed that he did not get his normal 'Toy Time' this morning with Jester (throwing the bumpers for them). I did not think 48 hours post op he should be wrestling the big guy lol.[/quote]

So glad he's getting back to his fun-loving old self! Doggy vibes on their way from Murphy and Lucky. (Yep, they're still with us. Go figure!)
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 7th, 2015, 8:44 pm

Every day is a good day to be a Blue Devil fan! :duke:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

As the Bunsen Burns

Post by ArkieDukie » February 8th, 2015, 10:05 am

As always, things continue to percolate along. Work continues on WEC's instrument; he and his wife are still yelling about instrument repair and citing specifications that they have been told repeatedly do not apply to their instrument. In brief, the new turbo pump (takes instrument to very high vacuum) is having the same problem as the last one. They're screaming that it needs to be replaced. Instrument company stance, and I agree with them, is that it has to be something else if replacing that particular part didn't fix the problem.

Funny story of the week: colleage Doogie was entering the building at the same time as Wile E. Coyote. We have to swipe our badges to enter the building. WEC was trying to swipe his badge on the phone that's a couple of feet over from the card reader. :twitch: =)) =)) =)) How does this guy even function? Seriously.

You may recall that one of my favorite software companies asked me to give a talk at their users' meeting. In the course of that conversation, they asked me about using data from our most recent publication (technically RR's data, but I'm first author on the paper) to test the new release of the software. Since the data files are in a public repository they're fair game as far as I'm concerned. I gave them the index number for the files and told them to have fun. Didn't mention it to RR because, well, the data files are publicly available. I received another phone call yesterday from my friends at the company, asking my permission to use the the results of their analysis in their poster at the upcoming professional meeting. I told them that it should be okay since it's public, but they should really ask RR if they felt the need to get permission. A nice bit of courtesy but unnecessary IMO. They did. She insisted on being senior author on their poster. I'm 2nd author, over several people in the company. This just gets all over me. What the hell work did she do in developing their software? They took information that was publicly available from our paper and reanalyzed our data files in order to show quantitative data. This happens all the time, but other investigators do not insist on being included in publications resulting from data in a public repository. They could maybe include me because I chatted with them about some stuff, but I certainly shouldn't be 2nd author. Acknowledgments would be fine. (rant over) Am I over-reacting, or does this seem a bit off to anyone else?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 8th, 2015, 10:15 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:Every day is a good day to be a Blue Devil fan! :duke:
On Saturday, Feb 7......... Duke and Notre Dame! What a game! As Coach K said "A spectacular game, and near about perfect"
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » February 8th, 2015, 12:41 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (14.57 KiB) Viewed 241 times
Newest Iowa Devil - Miss Pippi Longstocking! Only 3 weeks old but already barking GTHc GTH :9f:

PS: She is going to grow up to be a black and silver mini Schnauzer!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 8th, 2015, 1:20 pm

IowaDevil wrote:
image.jpg
Newest Iowa Devil - Miss Pippi Longstocking! Only 3 weeks old but already barking GTHc GTH :9f:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 8th, 2015, 7:00 pm

IowaDevil wrote:
image.jpg
y
Absolutely precious. I wish I could hold that fur ball. :ymhug:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 8th, 2015, 8:02 pm

IowaDevil wrote:
image.jpg

She is beautiful! :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 8th, 2015, 8:05 pm

AD: you are not over-reacting. Publicly available means publicly available.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 8th, 2015, 8:11 pm

IowaDevil wrote:
image.jpg

Presh! I love her!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 8th, 2015, 8:11 pm

Funny Varnish Zone story:

On Friday, during our office mandated lunch, Wayne the Midget Pervert prosecutor was fussing about his caseload having many defendants named Johnson. Said people would call him and leave messages about the Johnson case, and he didn't know which one they were talking about. Whereupon Awbrey, the newest attorney and a quiet young lady, turned to me and said, "Dawn, don't you have a Johnson?" :-o :-o :-o :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.