Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » December 29th, 2014, 12:21 pm

Who forgot to DVR the game?

Me, that's who.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 29th, 2014, 9:14 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Who forgot to DVR the game?

Me, that's who.
Wish I'd known. I would have told you it was on again today at noon.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » December 31st, 2014, 12:15 pm

Go Ole Miss !!!! Hotty Toddy!!!!!!
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 1st, 2015, 6:19 am

It's 2015, that's just crazie!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 1st, 2015, 10:42 am

Happy New Year!
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 1st, 2015, 10:56 am

I promised a more thorough analysis of the bowl game. Unfortunately, I had deleted it from my TiVo. I managed to record the replay, but they skip ahead, so I didn't see EVERY play, but here's what I see...

Boone is a pretty solid NCAA QB. He reads defenses well and even adjusts protection at the line well. His release is good and his arm strength is more than adequate. He makes heady plays. He rarely makes the wrong read and he knows when to throw the ball away. There was an excellent example of this on a middle screen. He threw it at the running back's feet to avoid a sack or intentional grounding when he saw there was no way to get him the ball without getting him killed. He also makes good decisions on the option plays, which is not easy, and runs well when he breaks contain.

Boone's biggest problem is his footwork. When he gets a good wide base and steps into throws, he has power and accuracy. However, his footwork breaks down at times even without pressure, and then his accuracy goes to hell. There was one screen in the first half when he threw it over Powell's head and another where he threw it over the receiver's head because the running back hit his foot right while running by him just post snap.

As for other players:

Offensive line:
LT SR
LG JR
C JR
RG SR
RT SO

Only losing two, so might be able to plug in some new players without too many issues.

Skill Positions:
TE Reeves JR
RB Powell JR
WR McCaffrey JR
WR Crowder SR
WR Blakeney SR

With Blakeney and Crowder gone, we'll really need some help. I don't know who we have coming, but I'm sure Cut has a plan....

Now, here's my analysis of the first half's best Boone throws...

1st 3:10 3rd & 5 on ASU 22, incomplete fade to endzone... good pass, put it where defender couldn't get it, just out of Crowder's reach, but a good read and solid pass.

2nd 6:57 2nd & 7 on DUKE 25, screen to Powell, 3rd read, 34 yards... excellent read, well played, got it to Powell with room to work.

Next play. Good pocket presence. Great patience. Good base and footwork. Ball on ASU 42. Pass to goal line on 5th read, drop by Blakeney. Would have been a great catch, but should have been made, got two hands on it. Great pass just where it needed to be.

2nd 5:52 3rd & 5 on ASU 38, good footwork, 3rd read short pass to Crowder but placed it perfectly so he could go 16 yards.

2nd 3:57 3rd & 2 on ASU 14, designed screen to Powell, well set up, looked off defense well, excellent throw falling back with def. lineman on him, good touch to get it over him and drop it to Powell, who went for a touchdown, EXCELLENT sell and downfield blocking by line.

That's my first half analysis. Feel free to tear it apart if you disagree...
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2015, 1:52 pm

bjornolf wrote:I promised a more thorough analysis of the bowl game. Unfortunately, I had deleted it from my TiVo. I managed to record the replay, but they skip ahead, so I didn't see EVERY play, but here's what I see...

Boone is a pretty solid NCAA QB. He reads defenses well and even adjusts protection at the line well. His release is good and his arm strength is more than adequate. He makes heady plays. He rarely makes the wrong read and he knows when to throw the ball away. There was an excellent example of this on a middle screen. He threw it at the running back's feet to avoid a sack or intentional grounding when he saw there was no way to get him the ball without getting him killed. He also makes good decisions on the option plays, which is not easy, and runs well when he breaks contain.

Boone's biggest problem is his footwork. When he gets a good wide base and steps into throws, he has power and accuracy. However, his footwork breaks down at times even without pressure, and then his accuracy goes to hell. There was one screen in the first half when he threw it over Powell's head and another where he threw it over the receiver's head because the running back hit his foot right while running by him just post snap.

As for other players:

Offensive line:
LT SR
LG JR
C JR
RG SR
RT SO

Only losing two, so might be able to plug in some new players without too many issues.

Skill Positions:
TE Reeves JR
RB Powell JR
WR McCaffrey JR
WR Crowder SR
WR Blakeney SR

With Blakeney and Crowder gone, we'll really need some help. I don't know who we have coming, but I'm sure Cut has a plan....

Now, here's my analysis of the first half's best Boone throws...

1st 3:10 3rd & 5 on ASU 22, incomplete fade to endzone... good pass, put it where defender couldn't get it, just out of Crowder's reach, but a good read and solid pass.

2nd 6:57 2nd & 7 on DUKE 25, screen to Powell, 3rd read, 34 yards... excellent read, well played, got it to Powell with room to work.

Next play. Good pocket presence. Great patience. Good base and footwork. Ball on ASU 42. Pass to goal line on 5th read, drop by Blakeney. Would have been a great catch, but should have been made, got two hands on it. Great pass just where it needed to be.

2nd 5:52 3rd & 5 on ASU 38, good footwork, 3rd read short pass to Crowder but placed it perfectly so he could go 16 yards.

2nd 3:57 3rd & 2 on ASU 14, designed screen to Powell, well set up, looked off defense well, excellent throw falling back with def. lineman on him, good touch to get it over him and drop it to Powell, who went for a touchdown, EXCELLENT sell and downfield blocking by line.

That's my first half analysis. Feel free to tear it apart if you disagree...
That's a really good analysis. Thanks for taking time to do that. I think Bob summed it up pretty well when he stated at some point that AB wasn't going to win the game for us single-handedly (a single player rarely does), but Boone could lose the game for us "by himself" and I think that point resonates with many folks. There were also two key Blakeney screw-ups that hurt us badly, too. The fumble after a first down catch inside their 15 with us moving the ball well that would have most likely resulted in points (3? 7?) for us and perhaps 0 for them (they ended up with a FG from that TO). The other was that drop that you mentioned at their 5 on a fairly well thrown ball (one could argue a bit high but at 6'6" with good position against a 4-6" smaller DB, that's gotta be a reception) that also is highly likely to result in points for us, though I can't recall what was the end result of that possession.

Again, like Bob, I wanna see the QB and WR competition in spring and summer practices.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 1st, 2015, 7:55 pm

I find myself cheering for Oregon over F$U. I just cannot stand Jameis Winston.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 1st, 2015, 8:16 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I find myself cheering for Oregon over F$U. I just cannot stand Jameis Winston.
I am thoroughly enjoying this game. It must have been what watching the '90 Duke-UNLV game felt like from a hater's point of view.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 1st, 2015, 8:18 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I find myself cheering for Oregon over F$U. I just cannot stand Jameis Winston.
I am thoroughly enjoying this game. It must have been what watching the '90 Duke-UNLV game felt like from a hater's point of view.
Me too. I have been laughing out loud at all of F$U's fumbles. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » January 1st, 2015, 9:01 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Me too. I have been laughing out loud at all of F$U's fumbles. :9f:
Same here. Did you guys see JW yelling at Jimbo on the sidelines? Tacky. Also tacky was the majority of the FSU team going straight to the locker room after the game instead of congratulating Oregon.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 1st, 2015, 9:12 pm

If you really want a good laugh, check out the infamous AskJameis hashtag on Twitter. Somewhat predictably, it has exploded - and it is hilarious.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » January 2nd, 2015, 12:21 am

Not that I wanted Winston to win, but the last week is turning out to be the worst week ever for my college football rooting interests.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 2nd, 2015, 1:38 pm

More than half of the FSU team were headed to the Locker room and did NOT congratulate Oregon on the win.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » January 2nd, 2015, 6:55 pm

I think I have to visit AskJameis because ever since I heard his post game press conference I've been humming "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands" but with the words Ademola Okalaja inspired, only now substituting Jameis Winston. Maybe I'll read something there that erases the tune... and the mental picture...
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » January 3rd, 2015, 9:47 am

Weekend doesn't mean the workends.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 3rd, 2015, 12:58 pm

Here's my second half analysis:

3rd 5:25 3rd & 14 on ASU 28, beautiful 3rd read pass for 15 yards on a 3rd and long to Blakeney, who coughs it up. Ouch. Perfect play by Boone though. Good footwork. Squared up and stepped into it. Good protection by the line. Correct read of the defense.

3rd 0:50 4th & 1 on DUKE 41, great play by Powell making the read and bouncing it out. Not a Boone play, but had to note it.

4th 13:48 2nd & 9 on ASU 42, good read, steps into it with pressure in his face and fires a laser to Crowder on the shallow slant in perfect stride for him to get work his way to a first. Nice play all around.

4th 10:24 on ASU 13, BEST PLAY OF GAME by either QB. Pocket starts to break down. Boone breaks out, which draws three defenders, including the guy on Barnes. Against the momentum of his body, NOT his strength, just before he crosses the line, he flicks it over those three defenders to Barnes for a good gain that Barnes turned into a TD. What a play.

4th 6:42 on 50, fake punt. Decent throw, but not great. It's a rainbow. Barnes makes an adjustment and turns completely around to get it. Lucky he's so open. Great play. Not one of the best five throws of the game. Never completes that if it's covered. Good throw, for a punter.

4th 5:07 on ASU 12, TD from Crowder to Blakeney. Just like on fake punt, receiver is wide open and adjusts to make the catch. No way that's complete if anyone covered Blakeney. This play shows the power of Crowder. When he gets the handoff, the whole defense reacts, leaving Blakeney ridiculously open. Not to mention Blakeney manhandles his guy and throws him to the ground.

4th 4:39 on ASU 29, good read and throw by Boone on long ball, good pocket, steps into it. Randall makes a subtle arm bar to prevent Barnes from getting there. In the NFL, that's a pass interference penalty that he probably doesn't get away with. Barnes should have sold it. Throw was fine though.

4th 3:43, 3rd & 6 on DUKE 33, good protection, good read, good throw, as he threw it to the open side of the receiver which allows Crowder to make a good adjustment away from the coverage for a 40+ yard gain.

4th 1:38, 1st & 10 on ASU 13, perfect example of Boone's BAD footwork leading to an incompletion. He was pressured, causing his footwork to break down and he missed an easy one to Powell. Threw too high and hard for a RB.

4th 1:00, 3rd & 10 on ASU 13. Lots of pressure on Boone again causing bad footwork where he can't get enough power into it, leading to interception. If he could have stepped into it, that might have been a TD, but he got hit pretty hard on the follow through. Had a receiver open for the TD on the post if he had had another half second to read it, but he didn't. If he throws that exact same ball to the middle of the field, that's a TD to the other receiver. Can't tell if that's McCaffrey from the camera angle, but think it might be. Not a great throw by Boone, but very few QBs make good throws in those conditions.

On the whole, not Boone's best game, but not his worst. He had a rough first half, but we're not in this game at the end if not for him.

On a side note, I LIKE this offensive line in pass blocking. Boone is very clean in the pocket 90% of the time. Losing two members is going to hurt next season.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 3rd, 2015, 1:31 pm

NcState is playing very well today over Pitt at home.

ECU is down vs Florida in their bowl. 21-7 Florida, almost halftime.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 4th, 2015, 11:39 am

Carolina Panthers Win, Survive and Advance!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » January 4th, 2015, 11:45 am

bjornolf wrote:
On a side note, I LIKE this offensive line in pass blocking. Boone is very clean in the pocket 90% of the time. Losing two members is going to hurt next season.
Were there any backups who got significant reps?