LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » December 24th, 2014, 6:22 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I have an app on my phone that calculates mpg when I enter the odometer reading and gallons added. So far it has been pretty close. The numbers from the app are the ones I cited earlier. It is sure as heck easier than writing the numbers down in a spiral notebook and calculating later, which is what I did with my first two cars.

I also use trip A for gas, but I hadn't thought of using B for oil changes. That's a great idea - thanks!
I used an app for a couple years and then I switched phones and the app I had wasn't on the new platform. I copied everything into a spreadsheet and have continued that way ever since.(Well, I used to use the spreadsheet all the time but stopped when I got the app.) I knew someone who tracked gas mileage by location(station) in addition to normal items. He developed a preferred stations list from it.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 25th, 2014, 10:03 pm

Merry Christmas, y'all!
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » December 26th, 2014, 6:49 am

That's just crazie!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » December 26th, 2014, 12:35 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I have an app on my phone that calculates mpg when I enter the odometer reading and gallons added. So far it has been pretty close. The numbers from the app are the ones I cited earlier. It is sure as heck easier than writing the numbers down in a spiral notebook and calculating later, which is what I did with my first two cars.

I also use trip A for gas, but I hadn't thought of using B for oil changes. That's a great idea - thanks!
I used an app for a couple years and then I switched phones and the app I had wasn't on the new platform. I copied everything into a spreadsheet and have continued that way ever since.(Well, I used to use the spreadsheet all the time but stopped when I got the app.) I knew someone who tracked gas mileage by location(station) in addition to normal items. He developed a preferred stations list from it.
I quit buying gas at the QT on the MO side of the state line even though it is $0.05/gallon less due to state taxes. I found the ethanol blend on the MO side gave me lower mpg than the KS side so it wasn't worth the $0.05/gallon.
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 26th, 2014, 10:11 pm

Scarlet Knights. I kinda like the sound of that.

:9f:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » December 26th, 2014, 10:34 pm

devildeac wrote:Scarlet Knights. I kinda like the sound of that.

:9f: :9f: :9f:

After the debacle back in November, I said, "that's okay. this is all the holes have."
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » December 26th, 2014, 10:35 pm

devildeac wrote:Scarlet Knights. I kinda like the sound of that.

They have their moments...both good and bad.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » December 26th, 2014, 10:39 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:

I quit buying gas at the QT on the MO side of the state line even though it is $0.05/gallon less due to state taxes. I found the ethanol blend on the MO side gave me lower mpg than the KS side so it wasn't worth the $0.05/gallon.
You are a University of Chicago economist's dream. (Rational actor paradigm)
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » December 27th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Considering the 1st and 3rd quarters and the last 5 minutes of the 4th qtr......... its amazing the Duke was close in the final score. Again, we cant finish.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 27th, 2014, 8:28 pm

The stepdaughter and her boyfriend officially got engaged over Christmas. He is a good guy, a really nice guy, with one major flaw, and that's his taste in blue. :9f:

We will work on him.....
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » December 28th, 2014, 7:55 am

lawgrad91 wrote:The stepdaughter and her boyfriend officially got engaged over Christmas. He is a good guy, a really nice guy, with one major flaw, and that's his taste in blue. :9f:

We will work on him.....
Yeah! Congrats to all! :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » December 28th, 2014, 8:03 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Considering the 1st and 3rd quarters and the last 5 minutes of the 4th qtr......... its amazing the Duke was close in the final score. Again, we cant finish.
We are Duke, we do not dis our boys and I for one am VERY PROUD of a group of hard working and outstanding young men who have made Duke a Football school to be reckoned with! I hate it when I hear fans, and worse Alums, who bad mouth our athletes for a bad play or a bad quarter! And now you know how I feel! Guess we can each have our own opinions.
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
DukePA

Post by DukePA » December 28th, 2014, 8:44 am

IowaDevil wrote:
DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Considering the 1st and 3rd quarters and the last 5 minutes of the 4th qtr......... its amazing the Duke was close in the final score. Again, we cant finish.
We are Duke, we do not dis our boys and I for one am VERY PROUD of a group of hard working and outstanding young men who have made Duke a Football school to be reckoned with! I hate it when I hear fans, and worse Alums, who bad mouth our athletes for a bad play or a bad quarter! And now you know how I feel! Guess we can each have our own opinions.
Amen, ID! Forever Duke!!!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » December 28th, 2014, 10:41 am

It is now winter in south central Texas.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » December 28th, 2014, 1:44 pm

CameronBornAndBred » December 28th, 2014, 8:27 am

Damn Damn Damn Damn!!!!
I agree with DitBD. I'm looking forward to seeing our team with a new QB next year. I was texting with TNT during the final series, telling him that I was dreading the coming turnover. I just had that sinking feeling in me that it was going to happen...sigh. He had a one pass that I liked, the soft touch for the TD in the first half, but beyond that, our best throws were by Will Monday and Jamison Crowder. That's not good when your QB throws only one 3rd of the best passes of the day.

DITTO, CB&B !

I listened to the postgame on radio, then the interviews on GoDuke! Coach Cut is the best coach, ever! Tremendous effort in rallying back from 20-3. Even BARNES stated "We Did Not Finish" !

Duke is a very smart and talented team. ASU has great players in all positions. Everyone that watched CBS, knows That DUKE has a Football program and will get better and better!!!!! The Seniors have turned the program around and we congratulate these young men for committing to Duke and bringing Football back to Wallace Wade and respect in the league and community.

Any word on the Florida QB ?

Thank you Seniors! And Coach Cut and Staff!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 29th, 2014, 4:10 am

I think that's a little unfair to Boone. Thanks to the way defenses react to Crowder with the ball and the fact that we caught them COMPLETELY off guard on the fake punt, Monday and Crowder were throwing into windows the size of olympic pools to good receivers with plenty of time to adjust and no defenders to worry about. I could make those throws. Boone had to actually read defenses with defenders bearing down on him, throwing into windows the size of kiddie pools to receivers with no space for adjustments. He didn't have his best game, sure, and he should have put more air on that last ball and thrown it to the outside shoulder, but to say he only had one of the best three throws of the game... I just don't see it. Crowder and Monday made two of the three biggest IMPACT plays of the game, which were VERY well coached, planned, and executed, but Boone made 5/5 of the best THROWS of the game. Boone didn't make a great throw on the last play, but the corner for ASU made a GREAT play to intercept. Most of the time, that's an incompletion and we get another shot. He kept us in that game, showed a lot of toughness, and gave us a shot to win at the end. He couldn't have done much more than that. Too bad he couldn't make a special teams tackle. Just out of curiosity, how would you have felt about his performance if we'd stopped that kickoff return and ASU had driven the length of the field and hit a field goal with no time left, so Boone couldn't try to respond?

I still say Boone outperformed Johnny Football last year AS A QB. As I said last year, Johnny made a few amazingly athletic plays, but in actual quarterback play, when he got in trouble, he just threw it up in the general vicinity of Mike Evans, and that guy just climbed the ladder and caught it over a CB covering him WELL... over and over and over. That's not QB-ing. I could do that. QB-ing is reading defenses and finding the open guy or fitting the ball into windows, and Boone did that over and over. Boone is a good QB, but he's working with less talent and size than his opponents right now. That's changing, but it takes time. Our guys are well coached and very skilled, but skill is not the same as talent and size. For example, I'd put Crowder against anybody, especially with his heart, but he's not big, and he's one guy. Teams we play, especially in bowls, have a guy that's on par with Crowder and two or three almost as good. Blakeney has the size and athleticism to be a beast, but he's got to work on his route running and hands. If he does that, he could be that Mike Evans type safety valve that we desperately need and would make a HUGE difference to our offense.

So, we'll see for next year, but Boone was a warrior who gave his all for this team and was a big part of the turn around over the last few years. Thanks, man, and good luck in your future endeavors.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 29th, 2014, 5:01 am

I'm sorry. I should have said Boone is playing with less talent than "some" of his opponents. Coach Cutcliffe is turning things around, and it does take time, but we had more talent than about half the teams we played this year, which is way up from previous years, and we're closing the gap on most of the teams we still trail. I can't wait for next season, but it's not because we'll have a new QB. QBs are baked, not microwaved. I'd be surprised if a QB steps up and outperforms Boone early next season, UNLESS the talent around his replacement increases greatly. I'm worried about that, as we have to replace Crowder. He is basically 1/3 of our passing offense.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » December 29th, 2014, 9:51 am

Thanks Bjorn...that's a Duke attitude.... positive outlook! LGD! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » December 29th, 2014, 11:29 am

2 Transfer QBs are in the mix of all the Discussion on Forums and Blogs!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 29th, 2014, 11:46 am

IowaDevil wrote:Thanks Bjorn...that's a Duke attitude.... positive outlook! LGD! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
I'm not sure how positive I was being, I was just calling it how I saw it from a former player's perspective. I like Boone a lot, and I think he's a solid QB, but I don't think he's a future NFL starter. I also think losing him will hurt more than a lot of people think. And losing Crowder is going to REALLY hurt unless Blakeney (and others) fulfills his potential. To me, that's a realistic look back at Boone and a kind of negative outlook for next season. I think we'll be a little worse next year, maybe 7 wins, but I think we'll be much better in 2016. Now, that's purely an offensive skill position view. I'm not overly familiar with our offensive line. If they're all seniors and we'll be starting over next year with them too, that could really hurt. If they're young and will be better next year, then maybe we'll hold.

I'll rewatch the game in the next few days and concentrate on the offensive line and see if I can pick my best 5 passes of the game.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...