LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Lavabe » December 19th, 2014, 10:00 am

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread... and coffee... ymm!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 19th, 2014, 10:11 pm

I made sugar cookie dough tonight. Tomorrow night I will roll them out, cut them out in Christmas shapes, and bake them. Mom will be the keeper of the timer and will put the cookies on the cooking rack.

She says the two of us have been making cookies since I was two. :occasion-santa: :occasion-snowman: :occasion-xmas: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 19th, 2014, 11:01 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I made sugar cookie dough tonight. Tomorrow night I will roll them out, cut them out in Christmas shapes, and bake them. Mom will be the keeper of the timer and will put the cookies on the cooking rack.

She says the two of us have been making cookies since I was two. :occasion-santa: :occasion-snowman: :occasion-xmas: :9f:

WTH? No pineapple? /:)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 20th, 2014, 6:54 am

We'll be doing that in a few days. It's always nice to see my mother in law, my wife, and my kids all working together. Three generations together. My wife grew up baking with her Maw-Maw (maternal grandmother). We do Christmas shapes, but also have Star Wars ships.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » December 20th, 2014, 9:37 am

lawgrad91 wrote:I made sugar cookie dough tonight. Tomorrow night I will roll them out, cut them out in Christmas shapes, and bake them. Mom will be the keeper of the timer and will put the cookies on the cooking rack.

I'm making them today but may save the frosting part (ID tradition) for the grands when they get here! I could use Mom's timing help is she available for a few hours?
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 20th, 2014, 10:09 am

IowaDevil wrote:

I'm making them today but may save the frosting part (ID tradition) for the grands when they get here! I could use Mom's timing help is she available for a few hours?
I'll help! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 20th, 2014, 5:47 pm

devildeac wrote:

WTH? No pineapple? /:)
OMG, DD. Mother in law "fixed" leftover pineapple casserole for the main dish Monday night and swore it had chicken in it. I am sworn off pineapple unless it comes as the garnish on a drink.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 20th, 2014, 5:49 pm

I made shortbread cookies while ago and then took Mom to see her brother in the hospital. When I got home they were gone. /:)
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 21st, 2014, 7:03 pm

A lady at church made me this ornament for Christmas.
Attachments
image.jpg
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » December 21st, 2014, 9:51 pm

No cookies, I'm going with strawberry cake tomorrow. And very nice of her lg, it is quite pretty.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » December 22nd, 2014, 7:36 am

Yikes LG, that would look just SUPER on my Duke Tree alongside that Devil ornament you have! Sharing is good you know! :D :D :D
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » December 23rd, 2014, 6:38 pm

Cool weather in the forecast for Christmas(mid-50s). Then it'll warm up for the trip out to El Paso before cooling back down for the game on Saturday.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 24th, 2014, 7:37 am

Just took my first road trip in the new CRV. Great ride! I made an interesting discovery: when driving on the interstate and in hills, gas mileage is better by about 3 mpg with the Eco button off. Makes sense in hindsight, since it throttles back the engine. It absolutely killed my gas mileage on I45 between Houston and Dallas. So, for all of you who have such a feature in your vehicle, it's great for city driving but not so great on the highway.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 24th, 2014, 9:16 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Just took my first road trip in the new CRV. Great ride! I made an interesting discovery: when driving on the interstate and in hills, gas mileage is better by about 3 mpg with the Eco button off. Makes sense in hindsight, since it throttles back the engine. It absolutely killed my gas mileage on I45 between Houston and Dallas. So, for all of you who have such a feature in your vehicle, it's great for city driving but not so great on the highway.
Glad you like your new ride, but please explain how turning the Eco button off helps mileage on flat interstate driving? :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 24th, 2014, 9:26 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Just took my first road trip in the new CRV. Great ride! I made an interesting discovery: when driving on the interstate and in hills, gas mileage is better by about 3 mpg with the Eco button off. Makes sense in hindsight, since it throttles back the engine. It absolutely killed my gas mileage on I45 between Houston and Dallas. So, for all of you who have such a feature in your vehicle, it's great for city driving but not so great on the highway.
Glad you like your new ride, but please explain how turning the Eco button off helps mileage on flat interstate driving? :9f:
The interstate between Houston and Dallas isn't flat, and the speed limit is 75. I watched my mpg drop from 34 down to 26 on that stretch, and I didn't think to to turn off Eco until I refueled. Got 3 mpg better on the next stretch with even bigger hills. The Eco feature throttles back the engine, among other things, and I think that is what hurts on the hills and maybe at higher speeds. Will consult with the mechanics in the family to see what they think.

Your comment about flat interstate driving is fair. The mpg was up over 34 before I hit the stretch of hills with the higher speed limit.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 24th, 2014, 10:08 am

I got word last night that the Lawgrad fantasy football team, No Punt Intended, won the Justice League championship, defeating the #4, #2 (by less that 0.6 points!), and #1 teams in the playoffs.

I would like to thank Matt Forte, Matt Asiata (whoever he is!), Lamar Miller, the Green Bay defense, and the work computer, which allowed me to adjust my fantasy football lineups all day long but blocked CTN NASCAR fantasy league. X( :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 24th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Checked with my brother the mechanic. He confirmed my suspicions about Econ hurting gas mileage in instances where the engine needs more power. So far I'm getting over 31 mpg with this tank of gas.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 24th, 2014, 1:07 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Checked with my brother the mechanic. He confirmed my suspicions about Econ hurting gas mileage in instances where the engine needs more power. So far I'm getting over 31 mpg with this tank of gas.
The in car computer gas mileage indication is a good relative indicator, but don't believe that it's accurate. Calculate miles driven since the last fill up divided by the gallons of gas added to fill up the tank. I reset the trip odometer to 0 with each fill up, making it easy to calculate. Miles/gallons= miles per gallon. I typically get about 2 mpg less than the onboard computer indicates. But honestly, with today's gas prices, it's not as important as it was with gas over $3/gallon. :D :9f:

My car has two trip odometers, A and B. A is for gas fill up miles driven, B gets reset to 0 at each oil change, so I know when that is due - every 6000 miles or typically less than every 3 months. B-)

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 24th, 2014, 2:11 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Checked with my brother the mechanic. He confirmed my suspicions about Econ hurting gas mileage in instances where the engine needs more power. So far I'm getting over 31 mpg with this tank of gas.
The in car computer gas mileage indication is a good relative indicator, but don't believe that it's accurate. Calculate miles driven since the last fill up divided by the gallons of gas added to fill up the tank. I reset the trip odometer to 0 with each fill up, making it easy to calculate. Miles/gallons= miles per gallon. I typically get about 2 mpg less than the onboard computer indicates. But honestly, with today's gas prices, it's not as important as it was with gas over $3/gallon. :D :9f:

My car has two trip odometers, A and B. A is for gas fill up miles driven, B gets reset to 0 at each oil change, so I know when that is due - every 6000 miles or typically less than every 3 months. B-)
I have an app on my phone that calculates mpg when I enter the odometer reading and gallons added. So far it has been pretty close. The numbers from the app are the ones I cited earlier. It is sure as heck easier than writing the numbers down in a spiral notebook and calculating later, which is what I did with my first two cars.

I also use trip A for gas, but I hadn't thought of using B for oil changes. That's a great idea - thanks!
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 24th, 2014, 5:09 pm

You're welcome. My Christmas gift to you! Lol

I've been writing down gas fills since I was in college. Picked up the habit from my dad as a teenager. And I've always had to do it for business records. :) :9f: