LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » November 26th, 2014, 9:20 am

Dancing With The Stars was fabulous this season, with so many talented couples!!!!

Congratulations to the Winner of the Mirror Ball: Alfonso and Witney!!!!!! And Finalists: Sadie and Mark, Jannelle and Val, and Betheny and Derek!!!!!!!!!!

And be safe driving, it has been raining all night and morning.

Have a great Thanksgiving Holiday!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 26th, 2014, 3:16 pm

The Butler did it.

:ymdevil:

:9f:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 26th, 2014, 3:47 pm

devildeac wrote:The Butler did it.

:ymdevil:

:9f:

....on the court...with a rebound
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » November 26th, 2014, 7:31 pm

I checked again, they still didn't make the shot. But they made some others today it appears.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 26th, 2014, 8:39 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I checked again, they still didn't make the shot. But they made some others today it appears.
Didn't make that many. Twenty-nine offensive rebounds, though, so they had lots of opportunities. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » November 26th, 2014, 10:30 pm

They didmake enough thankfully.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 26th, 2014, 10:56 pm

I love all the Butler, unc post. Fun.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » November 27th, 2014, 3:26 am

There are some struggles with math over yonder.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 27th, 2014, 11:59 am

YmoBeThere wrote:There are some struggles with math over yonder.

If only there were a place..where they could sit with others like them...and learn from a knowledge math-type. If only there were a place
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 27th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Bless her heart. Mother in law just asked, "what time do the Seahawks play?" Her next question, "would that be football or basketball?" :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

As the Bunsen Burns

Post by ArkieDukie » December 1st, 2014, 8:23 pm

The trip to my old lab to gather preliminary data went quite well. Had a nice chat with my former boss, who seemed to be in very good spirits and was quite nice to me. According to my former coworkers, the reason for his liver transplant was liver cancer. He had a lobe removed, and the only way the doctors could be sure they got it all was to do the transplant. One wonders if he knew he was sick before I left and that was the reason for his abrupt change in behavior. You may recall that he was originally a great boss and we got along well, and his personality changed somewhat abruptly.

I didn't see NuBarbie once during my trip. Apparently she gets paid to work from home now, doing data analysis. Guess her skill set in this particular area has improved a great deal since I was there. I always found her to be a total idiot, but she's had almost 3 years to learn her posterior from a hole in the ground.

I ran into (and had a civil conversation with) one person that I didn't particular want to see: Pushy PI. He was very nice and obviously has absolutely no clue where I am and what I'm doing. He thought I was in Houston. Fortunately I didn't see The Minion.

The person I worked with is extremely nice and we got along well. Turns out that he got his undergrad degree at Duke (I'll call him OtherDukeAlum, or ODA), so we are both basketball fans. Poor guy has 50% of his appointment in Pushy PI's department, which means that he was to play nicely with Pushy PI and The Minion in order to get tenure. He seems to get along well with Pushy PI, but then, he probably hasn't been crazy enough to disagree with him on anything. This may never be an issue, because ODA doesn't particularly like doing data analysis. In fact, he said he hired a postdoc to do that because my former boss is understaffed in that area. (There were times when I almost felt like I was at a job interview.)

I arrived in St. Louis in time to attend services at my old church on Sunday. While there, i chatted with a friend from choir and learned that he is now doing Alzheimer's research. He wanted me to come by his office and tell him more about what I'm doing, so I did that on Monday. My friend is a bit of a big wheel and is collaborating with a couple of renowned Alzheimer's researchers at Wash U, so he wants to keep in touch with me regarding my research. This gives me an in with the biobank of samples at Wash U, should I need it in the future.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » December 2nd, 2014, 8:49 am

Sounds like your trip back went really well AD. Glad to hear it. They cast of characters does not appear to have changed much. I am sure it is same old same old
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 2nd, 2014, 11:01 am

Thanks for the update, AD. Sounds pretty interesting. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 2nd, 2014, 8:56 pm

Hypothetically speaking, let's say someone (RR) was paying roughly $40K for a service contract on an instrument that has been down for 2 months. Let's say another person (WEC) had another instrument from the same company that has been down roughly the same period of time. Difference is, WEC does not have a service contract because he's too much of a cheapskate. Given these circumstances, how pissed off would you be, if you were RR, that the service engineer was working on WEC's instrument while working on yours?

Personally, I'd be pissed as hell, but RR doesn't seem to be bothered at all. Thing is, I think the vendor stalled fixing RR's instrument until they got a purchase order from WEC to do the repairs on his. Asshole wouldn't pay before because "It's too expensive," so he waited to pitch a fit until they came to repair RR's instrument. The service engineer kept coming up with excuses to delay his trip. I suspect that the labor and travel are being charged to RR's service agreement, and WEC is just paying for parts. If this is what's happening, it's being arranged by someone above the service engineer. I suspect the sales rep is behind it. WEC is dangling a new instrument purchase in front of him, so he wants his commission.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » December 2nd, 2014, 9:53 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Hypothetically speaking, let's say someone (RR) was paying roughly $40K for a service contract on an instrument that has been down for 2 months. Let's say another person (WEC) had another instrument from the same company that has been down roughly the same period of time. Difference is, WEC does not have a service contract because he's too much of a cheapskate. Given these circumstances, how pissed off would you be, if you were RR, that the service engineer was working on WEC's instrument while working on yours?

Personally, I'd be pissed as hell, but RR doesn't seem to be bothered at all. Thing is, I think the vendor stalled fixing RR's instrument until they got a purchase order from WEC to do the repairs on his. Asshole wouldn't pay before because "It's too expensive," so he waited to pitch a fit until they came to repair RR's instrument. The service engineer kept coming up with excuses to delay his trip. I suspect that the labor and travel are being charged to RR's service agreement, and WEC is just paying for parts. If this is what's happening, it's being arranged by someone above the service engineer. I suspect the sales rep is behind it. WEC is dangling a new instrument purchase in front of him, so he wants his commission.

Wait, what...WEC is a conniving slime ball? :asleep: :asleep: :asleep: :asleep: Old news - lol. Yes RR should be pissed. If she's not she's an idiot.

Now...repeat after me "not my circus, not my monkeys...not my circus, not my monkeys" and step away from the equipment.

:D :D :D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 2nd, 2014, 10:03 pm

windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Hypothetically speaking, let's say someone (RR) was paying roughly $40K for a service contract on an instrument that has been down for 2 months. Let's say another person (WEC) had another instrument from the same company that has been down roughly the same period of time. Difference is, WEC does not have a service contract because he's too much of a cheapskate. Given these circumstances, how pissed off would you be, if you were RR, that the service engineer was working on WEC's instrument while working on yours?

Wait, what...WEC is a conniving slime ball? :asleep: :asleep: :asleep: :asleep: Old news - lol. Yes RR should be pissed. If she's not she's an idiot.

Now...repeat after me "not my circus, not my monkeys...not my circus, not my monkeys" and step away from the equipment.

:D :D :D
Yep, that has been my mantra since writing this entry. If RR wants to be a wimp for fear of ticking off the people who are letting her pay for WEC's instrument repairs, it is truly not my problem. No spine, no clue, not my circus, not my monkeys.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » December 4th, 2014, 9:01 pm

Kinda quiet in these here parts.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 4th, 2014, 10:01 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Kinda quiet in these here parts.
Basking in the victory. I loved Bo Ryan's quote after the game about it being unfair that all our guys could hit tough shots with defenders in their faces.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » December 5th, 2014, 7:43 am

bjornolf wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Kinda quiet in these here parts.
Basking in the victory. I loved Bo Ryan's quote after the game about it being unfair that all our guys could hit tough shots with defenders in their faces.

I didn't watch it until last night. Great game.

oh and, Mr. Floor Slap welcome back...we've missed you!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 5th, 2014, 8:55 am

Game day!! James Kenan is playing in their 5th playoff game (1AA). It's gong to be really tough to win. In order to win they must make no mistakes and have some luck thrown in. GO JK, GO MAX!!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: