LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » October 16th, 2014, 9:57 pm

Thanks!

Just a follow up, I was able to meet a prior recipient of the Marshall Award, Lt. General Julius Becton. He was VII Corps Commander while my father was there. I don't remember what position my father held(he was an O-6 at that point, I recall Gen. Becton performing the ceremony) but he was on his staff at that time. When I first met Gen Becton I recall only being able to look at my shoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_W._Becton,_Jr.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 16th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Tomorrow, we are on the road again. JK is playing in Sampson Co. It might be a little closer than Duplin Co. GO JK, GO MAX!!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 16th, 2014, 11:01 pm

I count this as a lucky day. I was driving to a client's office and noticed a bird flying across the highway. At first glance, the size made me think Canadian goose but they rarely are alone and the flight was more hawk-like. Looking closer, it had a white head. I actually saw a Bald Eagle flying by. They come down to this area to winter over but I don't recall ever just seeing one without going specifically looking for them. It was so cool - wish I could have come to a complete stop in the middle of the highway to take a picture.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 17th, 2014, 6:01 am

DukieInKansas wrote:I count this as a lucky day. I was driving to a client's office and noticed a bird flying across the highway. At first glance, the size made me think Canadian goose but they rarely are alone and the flight was more hawk-like. Looking closer, it had a white head. I actually saw a Bald Eagle flying by. They come down to this area to winter over but I don't recall ever just seeing one without going specifically looking for them. It was so cool - wish I could have come to a complete stop in the middle of the highway to take a picture.

Seeing a bald eagle is always special. Florida (shockingly) has a fairly robust population. My favorite sitting was in Montana taking a boat tour at Gates of the Mountains...it was almost dusk and the boat was disturbing the fish - they were coming off the cliffs and snagging the fist out of the boats wake - they are incredibly powerful birds and just amazing to watch.

Bald Eagles are awesome....Boston College Screaming Eagles suck. :)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 17th, 2014, 6:03 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Thanks!

Just a follow up, I was able to meet a prior recipient of the Marshall Award, Lt. General Julius Becton. He was VII Corps Commander while my father was there. I don't remember what position my father held(he was an O-6 at that point, I recall Gen. Becton performing the ceremony) but he was on his staff at that time. When I first met Gen Becton I recall only being able to look at my shoes.

That is way cool!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 17th, 2014, 6:26 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Thanks!

Awesome. Congrats. :happy-bouncyblue:
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 17th, 2014, 6:27 am

windsor wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:I count this as a lucky day. I was driving to a client's office and noticed a bird flying across the highway. At first glance, the size made me think Canadian goose but they rarely are alone and the flight was more hawk-like. Looking closer, it had a white head. I actually saw a Bald Eagle flying by. They come down to this area to winter over but I don't recall ever just seeing one without going specifically looking for them. It was so cool - wish I could have come to a complete stop in the middle of the highway to take a picture.

Seeing a bald eagle is always special. Florida (shockingly) has a fairly robust population. My favorite sitting was in Montana taking a boat tour at Gates of the Mountains...it was almost dusk and the boat was disturbing the fish - they were coming off the cliffs and snagging the fist out of the boats wake - they are incredibly powerful birds and just amazing to watch.

Bald Eagles are awesome....Boston College Screaming Eagles suck. :)
Always cool, agree. Bald Eagles awesome....Philly Eagles Evil.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » October 17th, 2014, 9:03 am

Way cool!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 17th, 2014, 9:14 am

I got one for you. Did it look like this?

:D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 17th, 2014, 9:43 am

devildeac wrote:

No, it was more like:

Life is good!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 17th, 2014, 10:22 am

Go Royals!

They must win...the only thing worse than the Giants nts winning the World Series is UNC winning a National title.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 17th, 2014, 10:24 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
devildeac wrote:

No, it was more like:

I can see the difference now. Thanks for clarifying.

=))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

As the Bunsen Burns

Post by ArkieDukie » October 18th, 2014, 2:06 pm

All are still basking in the joy of Bar Minion's impending departure, and she's still being a total biyotch. Boris was having instrument problems, and she refused to help him fix it (and, yes, that is her job).

The day she handed in her resignation, she went into MacGyver's office to tell him she was leaving. She shed lots of tears. Apparently Road Runner told Bar Minion, during her most recent performance evaluation, that it was her fault that Road Runner hasn't been able to get funding. Somewhat harsh, true, but it's also true to a certain extent. Recall that Bar Minion has done noting but sit in her office for the past year and has not done any of the work assigned to her. One of the assigned tasks was a specific aim of one of Road Runner's grants. However, that still goes back on Road Runner, IMO. She should've called Bar Minion onto the carpet and told her to get her lazy, narcissistic ass into the lab and do what she's told. So, Road Runner can thow blame for the lack of funding on Bar Minion all she wants, but some of the blame falls squarely on her own shoulders. At some point you've got to be the boss.

Bar Minion told MacGyver that she has several options and has not decided which one she's going to take. One of her options is to be a stay-at-home mom. Apparently there's also a chance she'll go back to China. MacGyver got the impression that there was some marital strife, which would certainly make things more difficult. She's older than her husband and has a higher degree than he does (he has a MS, she has a PhD). I've heard that this would be a bit of a problem in her culture. For those of you in the know, is that true?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 19th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Bowl Eligible 6 - 1 ! Now, let's finish strong in November!!!!!!!!!!!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: As the Bunsen Burns

Post by bjornolf » October 20th, 2014, 9:09 am

ArkieDukie wrote: Bar Minion told MacGyver that she has several options and has not decided which one she's going to take. One of her options is to be a stay-at-home mom. Apparently there's also a chance she'll go back to China. MacGyver got the impression that there was some marital strife, which would certainly make things more difficult. She's older than her husband and has a higher degree than he does (he has a MS, she has a PhD). I've heard that this would be a bit of a problem in her culture. For those of you in the know, is that true?
Yes, that could definitely cause some strife over there. Wives are not supposed to overshadow their husbands in the professional/education department. However, that can also cause issues here in America still, especially in rural areas.

Here's a recent article on it: http://m.english.caixin.com/pad/2014-10 ... xlLmNvbS8=
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 20th, 2014, 2:43 pm

So how much longer before Bar Minion rides into the sunset? Is RR talking of replacing her?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 20th, 2014, 7:05 pm

windsor wrote:So how much longer before Bar Minion rides into the sunset? Is RR talking of replacing her?
T-1week. Hasten the day!

Road Runner already has a replacement lined up. I don't think this replacement realizes how dire Road Runner's funding situation is. This person turned down a position with RR once before to to funding uncertainties, and the situation is even worse now. That was also before RR went :poo: crazy.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 21st, 2014, 4:47 am

:batmandeploy:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 21st, 2014, 6:55 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:So how much longer before Bar Minion rides into the sunset? Is RR talking of replacing her?
T-1week. Hasten the day!

Road Runner already has a replacement lined up. I don't think this replacement realizes how dire Road Runner's funding situation is. This person turned down a position with RR once before to to funding uncertainties, and the situation is even worse now. That was also before RR went :poo: crazy.

We look forward to naming the new addition.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 22nd, 2014, 9:03 pm

windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
T-1week. Hasten the day!

We look forward to naming the new addition.
Will As The Bunsen Burns have an another edition?