an interesting dilemma...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: an interesting dilemma...

Post by windsor » August 4th, 2011, 12:22 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:My, what a devious little bitch you were! I love you Windsor! :x :x :x =)) B-)

WERE?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 4th, 2011, 12:34 pm

windsor wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:My, what a devious little bitch you were! I love you Windsor! :x :x :x =)) B-)

WERE?
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 4th, 2011, 10:37 pm

My boss waited until I left town to send out an email in which he announced a lab restructuring. Remember the big cancer grant we got? The one I canceled my vacation to get data for? The one I worked hundreds of hours of overtime getting supplemental data for? I'm not on the project. He put the new person WITH NO EXPERIENCE on that project instead. Major slap in the face. X( :Angry Orc:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 4th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Shit birds, Martha - that sucks!

Just remember, Karma is a bitch. He will pay at some point in the future. In the meantime, I'm sending pointy toe shin kicks his way. I'm aiming high.
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 4th, 2011, 11:35 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My boss waited until I left town to send out an email in which he announced a lab restructuring. Remember the big cancer grant we got? The one I canceled my vacation to get data for? The one I worked hundreds of hours of overtime getting supplemental data for? I'm not on the project. He put the new person WITH NO EXPERIENCE on that project instead. Major slap in the face. X( :Angry Orc:
Are you going to take it quietly or question (and/or confront) him about it? I'm not offering any advice, I'm just asking.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 5th, 2011, 12:45 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:My boss waited until I left town to send out an email in which he announced a lab restructuring. Remember the big cancer grant we got? The one I canceled my vacation to get data for? The one I worked hundreds of hours of overtime getting supplemental data for? I'm not on the project. He put the new person WITH NO EXPERIENCE on that project instead. Major slap in the face. X( :Angry Orc:
Are you going to take it quietly or question (and/or confront) him about it? I'm not offering any advice, I'm just asking.
This is unreal!!!!! This really sucks. Up until now I was sort of enjoying the inmates running the asylum since you're looking to get out of there anyway. But, this is too much. What are you gonna do? Oh, wait. Here comes Windsor now. I can hear her theme song :-BD
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 5th, 2011, 8:42 am

I would be redoubling my efforts to leave that place ASAP.

I don't know how you stand it there.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 5th, 2011, 9:00 am

Paging Windsor. Is Windsor in the house?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 5th, 2011, 9:00 am

I'd expect him to whittle your job down further. The move really sounds like a way for him to train someone to move up into your position, in the event that you take his advice and search for another job. I am assuming that one of the positions you applied for contacted him as a reference.

I assume that you have enough email evidence to show that the guy never passed on to PPI & Minion your list of manuscript changes.
I assume you have some sort of thank you/congratulatory email thanking you for your work you did to get the grant.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 5th, 2011, 9:15 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
This is unreal!!!!! This really sucks. Up until now I was sort of enjoying the inmates running the asylum since you're looking to get out of there anyway. But, this is too much. What are you gonna do? Oh, wait. Here comes Windsor now. I can hear her theme song :-BD
Love, Ima
Whoa…I have a theme song? Way cool…I always wanted a theme song!

To the matter at hand…that sucks long and hard. Totally f-ing sucks monkey balls. (monkey balls, not lemur balls as I would never sully the good lemur name). Not to defend the dick with ears who is your boss, but it could be he knows you have one foot out the door, and wants someone on the project who will be there when it completes. Frankly, I would do the same thing if I had someone I knew was looking to leave. It isn’t personal if that is the case, its practical.

Unfortunately there isn’t much you can do about it until you are ready to toss an incendiary device on the bridge to that shit hole. :violence-torch: You can however take this negative and use it to your advantage.

When you toddle yourself over to academic integrity I would express in words of one syllable how concerned you are about retribution. You questioned the data validity and the yanked you off the project…you continued to question and they excluded you from the new research project. Document it anyway you can…including being ready to site how many extra hours you put in to getting the grant for the project you aren’t on. You have to take care to make sure they do not think it is sour grapes…I didn’t get on the cancer project so I’m gonna get you in troub-ble. Fortunately your issues with current manuscript are documented well in advance of this.

Also, If anyone you work with asks why aren’t on that project say nothing…but give them an eyebrow raises “seriously? You’re asking that?” look. Are PPI and Minion on this one as well? I have some top notch snark ready if the Minion is.

:Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: :Angry Orc:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 5th, 2011, 9:18 am

CathyCA wrote:

I agree with CathyCA on point two.

As for Point 1, that is precisely what her boss wants to have happen.

Honestly, my big worry now is that you may have your boss on your list of referees. Even though dude has a big name in the field (IIRC), I wouldn't want him referring for a myriad of reasons. Often in academia, job apps will ask you if there is anyone they should not contact. You can simply and discretely state that you'd prefer your employer not know about your search.

More than anything else, I am SO sorry you are having to deal with such crap. You do NOT deserve it.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 5th, 2011, 9:29 am

windsor wrote:Totally f-ing sucks monkey balls. (monkey balls, not lemur balls as I would never sully the good lemur name).
Much appreciated!! ;)
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 5th, 2011, 3:57 pm

How long has it been since you've had a vacation from these idiots? Any time coming? You need it.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 5th, 2011, 11:50 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
I will have to cool down a lot to have any sort of conversation with him. I guess, on the bright side, I at least found out that my job responsibilities changed close to when it happened rather than learning secondhand several weeks later.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 5th, 2011, 11:58 pm

Lavabe wrote:
I'd expect him to whittle your job down further. The move really sounds like a way for him to train someone to move up into your position, in the event that you take his advice and search for another job. I am assuming that one of the positions you applied for contacted him as a reference.

I assume that you have enough email evidence to show that the guy never passed on to PPI & Minion your list of manuscript changes.
I assume you have some sort of thank you/congratulatory email thanking you for your work you did to get the grant.
I think that's what's going on, Lavabe. Job responsibilities are slowly disappearing.

I assume the phone interview didn't pan out because my boss was contacted - or he found out and contacted someone. I made the mistake of asking someone to act as a reference that likely fed info to my boss. Stupid move on my part. They're out of the loop now.

No email proof on the data. No real thanks for the extra work, either.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 6th, 2011, 12:20 am

I'm on the iPad right now, so I had trouble responding to Windsor. With regard to the grant, let's say you are awarded a huge, prestigious grant. Who do you put on this project? The most experienced people you have, or the least experienced people? Even if you know your most knowledgable person may be leaving, wouldn't you want them to pass their knowledge to the anointed ones? That's not the way it was done here. With one exception, the boss put the least experienced people in the lab on the new project. They happen to be his current favorites, though. One of these people is very smart and a hard worker, but she has a very steep learning curve. Even steeper for the manager, who has exactly 2 months experience in the field. It just seems completely counter-intuitive to me.

I could very well end up in the position Windsor was in that led to the infamous titanium bearings on a plaque story. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 6th, 2011, 12:26 am

CathyCA wrote:

Working on that. I met a couple of people today that I want to contact about jobs. Having my boss show up put a bit of a wrinkle in my plans.

Did I mention that I had to pay my own way to the meeting I'm currently attending? Bet the boss didn't.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 6th, 2011, 12:53 am

Also having trouble responding to Lavabe. My boss is nowhere my list of references. I'm using people who can testify to the quality of my work, one of whom is another senior person who recently left our lab and can testify to my boss's ways. Hopefully the places I apply will not contact the (insert long string of expletives).

My plan of action is to do an absolutely stellar job on the few things I have to do during my remaining time in my current position, hopefully short. Stellar enough that my boss forgets why he's mad at me and starts to value my work and respect my opinion again. That's when I want to hand in my resignation. Then, just after I've departed for greener pastures, my boss will realize that NO ONE ELSE IN THE LAB KNOWS HOW TO DO WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING. If he comes to this realization before I leave, I'll have an opportunity to go Windsor on him. :ymdevil: (I will suggest that he hire The Minion away from Pushy PI, since he seems generally pleased with the quality of her work.)

To dream the impossible dream...
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 6th, 2011, 9:30 am

ArkieDukie wrote:With regard to the grant, let's say you are awarded a huge, prestigious grant.
Humbly, I have to say that with regard to the boss, it's all about the moment and the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :Gentleman:

Hope you're using some time spent at the symposium to network for new employment opportunities.

I sit in anxious,hand-rubbing anticipation for the birth of the 'WWWD' thread!

A new calling. :ymapplause: :-w :D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 6th, 2011, 9:50 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm on the iPad right now, so I had trouble responding to Windsor. With regard to the grant, let's say you are awarded a huge, prestigious grant. Who do you put on this project? The most experienced people you have, or the least experienced people? Even if you know your most knowledgable person may be leaving, wouldn't you want them to pass their knowledge to the anointed ones? That's not the way it was done here. With one exception, the boss put the least experienced people in the lab on the new project. They happen to be his current favorites, though. One of these people is very smart and a hard worker, but she has a very steep learning curve. Even steeper for the manager, who has exactly 2 months experience in the field. It just seems completely counter-intuitive to me.

I could very well end up in the position Windsor was in that led to the infamous titanium bearings on a plaque story. :ymdevil:
Oh, and I would be remiss if I did not mention that NuBarbie (project mgr) has less data analysis experience than The Minion.
-- Albert Einstein