Exercise!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Exercise!

Post by lawgrad91 » January 2nd, 2011, 2:40 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:It's time to move this thread back from Page 3. I can't believe I am the only member of CTN with a weight loss/exercise resolution. And since I've said this, I may as well say what my resolutions are. At least 30 minutes of exercise, at least 5 days a week (not counting dog walks). And thirty-five pounds down by next Christmas. (I usually make financial resolutions, which I usually manage to keep, but this year with the employment situation in flux, I'm not in a position to do anything specific.)

The diet actually starts on Monday, but the exercise started today. Thirty-five minutes on the treadmill. Walked 3 minutes, ran one.
My knee has been bothering me, so I have taken it easy this week. Definitely starting back up today/tomorrow. Also think I'm going to join Weight Watchers. Need to do it today, since free sign-up ends today. Thirty-five lbs sounds like a good goal for me, too. Let's do it!

Did you get Gold's Gym Cardio Dance for Christmas?
No, I didn't. :( Theoretically I got a Playstation3 with the Move for Christmas. I say theoretically because B is now addicted to a game called Uncharted. But the Wii is now upstairs on the big TV in the bedroom, where there's plenty of exercise room.

Weight Watchers here we come! Are you going to attend meetings, or do it online? I'm going to try to follow it just online but if that doesn't work I will go back to meetings.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 2nd, 2011, 3:33 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:It's time to move this thread back from Page 3. I can't believe I am the only member of CTN with a weight loss/exercise resolution. And since I've said this, I may as well say what my resolutions are. At least 30 minutes of exercise, at least 5 days a week (not counting dog walks). And thirty-five pounds down by next Christmas. (I usually make financial resolutions, which I usually manage to keep, but this year with the employment situation in flux, I'm not in a position to do anything specific.)

The diet actually starts on Monday, but the exercise started today. Thirty-five minutes on the treadmill. Walked 3 minutes, ran one.
My knee has been bothering me, so I have taken it easy this week. Definitely starting back up today/tomorrow. Also think I'm going to join Weight Watchers. Need to do it today, since free sign-up ends today. Thirty-five lbs sounds like a good goal for me, too. Let's do it!

No, I didn't. :( Theoretically I got a Playstation3 with the Move for Christmas. I say theoretically because B is now addicted to a game called Uncharted. But the Wii is now upstairs on the big TV in the bedroom, where there's plenty of exercise room.

Weight Watchers here we come! Are you going to attend meetings, or do it online? I'm going to try to follow it just online but if that doesn't work I will go back to meetings.
I just joined WeightWatchers online; I signed up for 3 months. I've had good luck with WeightWatchers before and hope to again. It's funny that we both want to lose 35 lbs. We can work on it together!

Good news that the Wii is upstairs where you have more space for exercise. I heartily endorse Cardio Dance; I think you'd like it. I like EA Sports Active 2 as well, but I think my current knee problems can be traced back to all the squats and lunges. When I resume I'll have to be very careful about that.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 2nd, 2011, 6:23 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:It's time to move this thread back from Page 3. I can't believe I am the only member of CTN with a weight loss/exercise resolution. And since I've said this, I may as well say what my resolutions are. At least 30 minutes of exercise, at least 5 days a week (not counting dog walks). And thirty-five pounds down by next Christmas. (I usually make financial resolutions, which I usually manage to keep, but this year with the employment situation in flux, I'm not in a position to do anything specific.)

I just joined WeightWatchers online; I signed up for 3 months. I've had good luck with WeightWatchers before and hope to again. It's funny that we both want to lose 35 lbs. We can work on it together!

Good news that the Wii is upstairs where you have more space for exercise. I heartily endorse Cardio Dance; I think you'd like it. I like EA Sports Active 2 as well, but I think my current knee problems can be traced back to all the squats and lunges. When I resume I'll have to be very careful about that.
:happy-bouncyblue:

We can do this!

I planned to go to the gym this afternoon but slept through my gym time. :asleep: Probably wasn't so bad, as my calves are pretty sore from running yesterday.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 3rd, 2011, 8:35 am

I'm getting back on my Nordic trac this week. For the last couple months it's only been that piece of furniture that makes it difficult to walk through my living room.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2011, 9:14 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm getting back on my Nordic trac this week. For the last couple months it's only been that piece of furniture that makes it difficult to walk through my living room.
I suggest taking the dirty laundry and plants off of the equipment first. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2011, 9:15 am

45 minute AM walk, 90 minutes dancing in the late afternoon and a 30 minute victory walk after the game last PM. Too much Moose Munch over the holidays.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » January 3rd, 2011, 10:04 am

Kelly and I ordered a treadmill, unfortunately it's on backorder. I'll be excited when it gets here!
1. It has a great air-based shock and cushioning system so it will be much easier on my knees and Kelly's back. The past few times I tried to get back into walking and running I folded after two weeks because it hurt my knees.
2. It's a treadmill, which means I don't have to freeze my ass off or die of heat exhaustion just to go for a run.

Plus, it has a few cool features like iFit Live, which lets me download new workout programs to the treadmill and then upload the results to a personalized website, built-in speakers, heart monitor, automatically adjust intensity and inclines. It's sweet.

Hopefully, you'll all see a slimmer, healthier Miles at Brunchgates in 2011.
sMiles
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 3rd, 2011, 6:39 pm

Miles wrote:Kelly and I ordered a treadmill, unfortunately it's on backorder. I'll be excited when it gets here!
1. It has a great air-based shock and cushioning system so it will be much easier on my knees and Kelly's back. The past few times I tried to get back into walking and running I folded after two weeks because it hurt my knees.
2. It's a treadmill, which means I don't have to freeze my ass off or die of heat exhaustion just to go for a run.

Plus, it has a few cool features like iFit Live, which lets me download new workout programs to the treadmill and then upload the results to a personalized website, built-in speakers, heart monitor, automatically adjust intensity and inclines. It's sweet.

Hopefully, you'll all see a slimmer, healthier Miles at Brunchgates in 2011.
That sounds great, Miles! Best of luck to you!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 3rd, 2011, 8:05 pm

Exercise-wise, I'm getting back into the groove today: walking and 40 min of Cardio Dance put me at 106% of my exercise target for the week (1060 cals or thereabout is the target). Diet-wise, I'm technically on my 2nd day of Weight Watchers. I'm having trouble with my points goal. Ironically, I'm not eating enough!!! I need to add more fruits and veggies. Should have plenty of spare points for a cup of cocoa or hot cider. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 3rd, 2011, 8:46 pm

Thirty minute circuit at Planet Fitness, what they call Workout Express. I guess a lot of people have fitness as a New Year's resolution; there wasn't a treadmill to be had. My cousin's son and his girlfriend were there, so we had a mini-family reunion in the lobby!

AD, I was surprised at the new Weight Watcher points thing, too. I thought I had the points figured out, and they went and changed it on me! I still have 5 left tonight, and I'm pumped that fruits and veggies are more or less free. Bring on the fruit! :banana-dance: :banana-jumprope: :banana-linedance:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » January 3rd, 2011, 9:14 pm

I'm back in the groove today. I have been psyching myself up for the past month and am READY to be me again. I've been looking at pictures from 5 years ago and want to get back to that Donna. I read a great article about setting goals which stated that we need to set our goals with adjectives, not just verbs and nouns. Since I want to lose weight, what are some adjectives to describe what I really want? I want to be energetic, fit and thin. When I will inevitably be tempted to forgo my weight loss/fitness plan, I will remind myself of my adjectives. I have also decided to dump Coke Zero. We are no longer a couple :) I have to think that artificial sweeteners are screwing up my metabolism by not delivering what they appear to deliver by taste.

Good luck everybody!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 3rd, 2011, 9:24 pm

DukePA wrote:I'm back in the groove today. I have been psyching myself up for the past month and am READY to be me again. I've been looking at pictures from 5 years ago and want to get back to that Donna. I read a great article about setting goals which stated that we need to set our goals with adjectives, not just verbs and nouns. Since I want to lose weight, what are some adjectives to describe what I really want? I want to be energetic, fit and thin. When I will inevitably be tempted to forgo my weight loss/fitness plan, I will remind myself of my adjectives. I have also decided to dump Coke Zero. We are no longer a couple :) I have to think that artificial sweeteners are screwing up my metabolism by not delivering what they appear to deliver by taste.

Good luck everybody!
Way to go!

I found that I do better when I stay away from diet drinks, too.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 3rd, 2011, 9:47 pm

DukePA wrote:I'm back in the groove today. I have been psyching myself up for the past month and am READY to be me again. I've been looking at pictures from 5 years ago and want to get back to that Donna. I read a great article about setting goals which stated that we need to set our goals with adjectives, not just verbs and nouns. Since I want to lose weight, what are some adjectives to describe what I really want? I want to be energetic, fit and thin. When I will inevitably be tempted to forgo my weight loss/fitness plan, I will remind myself of my adjectives. I have also decided to dump Coke Zero. We are no longer a couple :) I have to think that artificial sweeteners are screwing up my metabolism by not delivering what they appear to deliver by taste.

Good luck everybody!
Good luck, DukePA! I like your goals and think they sound very much like mine. Come to the thread if you ever need a cheerleader.

I, too, have given up diet sodas. In fact, I've pretty much given up sodas. I have a 32 oz water bottle at work, and I try to drink at least one full bottle while I'm at work. Drinking lots of water is key.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 3rd, 2011, 9:52 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Thirty minute circuit at Planet Fitness, what they call Workout Express. I guess a lot of people have fitness as a New Year's resolution; there wasn't a treadmill to be had. My cousin's son and his girlfriend were there, so we had a mini-family reunion in the lobby!

AD, I was surprised at the new Weight Watcher points thing, too. I thought I had the points figured out, and they went and changed it on me! I still have 5 left tonight, and I'm pumped that fruits and veggies are more or less free. Bring on the fruit! :banana-dance: :banana-jumprope: :banana-linedance:
Good job with the circuit!

The new points system is definitely an adjustment. I had a HUGE supper and still have about 7 points remaining. The good thing about WW is that it's forcing me to make an effort to eat more fruits and veggies. I'm finally raiding the frozen veggies from my trips to the farmers' market last summer. On a funny note, I determined this evening that frozen green beans look a lot like frozen asparagus. Thought I was getting the latter; instead I got the former! :(( :))
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 3rd, 2011, 10:08 pm

I think it's time to raid the baby carrot baggie in the fridge.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 4th, 2011, 11:57 am

KEEP it up ladies!!!! Good job!!!! Eat your veggie snacks. and plenty of H20. Sweat Ladies Sweat!!!
DukePA

Post by DukePA » January 4th, 2011, 1:02 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:KEEP it up ladies!!!! Good job!!!! Eat your veggie snacks. and plenty of H20. Sweat Ladies Sweat!!!
Does the hot flash I'm experiencing as I type count :) ?
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 4th, 2011, 9:51 pm

DukePA wrote:
DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:KEEP it up ladies!!!! Good job!!!! Eat your veggie snacks. and plenty of H20. Sweat Ladies Sweat!!!
Sure!

Treadmill tonight. 2 minutes walking, one minute running, for 30 minutes, plus 5 extra walking for cooldown. I tried watching "The Biggest Loser" on one of the TV's but the TV in front of it kept showing food commercials.

I ate all but one of my WW points today, and I'm about to take care of that point with some yummy flavored creamer in a cup of coffee.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 4th, 2011, 11:08 pm

DukePA wrote:
=)) =)) =))

Did about 30 min of Cardio Dance in addition to my usual walking. Still managing, somehow, to stay under my allotment of points. One of my co-workers is bringing a cheesecake to work tomorrow, which should just about take care of any extra points I have saved up.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 5th, 2011, 11:43 pm

Did enough walking today to reach 94% of my exercise target. It all comes out in the wash, though, since I was over 100% for both Monday and Tuesday. Still somehow managed to come in under my point total for Weight Watchers even after eating cheesecake at work.
-- Albert Einstein