WTF happened to over yonder?!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The "Seriuos Post" on LTE

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 1st, 2010, 8:37 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Finally, let me say that I am very grateful for CB&B and anyone else involved in the formation of CTN, our humble little community where we can be ourselves. I am grateful for the friends I have here, and for a place where we can share our life's happinesses and find a sympathetic ear when we need someone to turn to, and where we have the love of all things Duke to tie us together. :ymhug: :romance-grouphug:
I'm going back through this thread..catching up on some posts I missed earlier.You wrap up CTN very well. It's never been "my" site, it's always been "our" site...I was only the one who initially got it up and running, but even that process was done while taking input from everyone involved. Behind the scenes and in front, there have been numerous contributions from so many people to make this place work...we are a team and a family..and we are growing. WE kick ass. GO DUKE!!!! :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :happy-bouncyblue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: WTF happened to over yonder?!

Post by DevilAlumna » August 1st, 2010, 10:22 pm

At the risk of saying something unpopular, I thought JBDuke's note was reasonable, and a decent gesture. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't just totally wiped the LTE from DBR entirely.

But I think folks here would agree that, yes, the remaining LTE crew is pretty insular (tons of inside jokes), a couple people have cracked in since CTN'ers left, but you know they haven't read through the whole damned thing. Yes, sometimes something of modest substance does get brought up in LTE. Yes, perhaps that's worth its own heading under the OTB. You may have noticed, the OTB is otherwise pretty freakin' boring these days.

I guess I interpreted his post as more along the lines of, "hey, we know you guys are still here, and you are an interesting bunch, so why don't you come out of the back room and hang with the rest of the bar?"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 1st, 2010, 10:30 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:At the risk of saying something unpopular, I thought JBDuke's note was reasonable, and a decent gesture. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't just totally wiped the LTE from DBR entirely.

But I think folks here would agree that, yes, the remaining LTE crew is pretty insular (tons of inside jokes), a couple people have cracked in since CTN'ers left, but you know they haven't read through the whole damned thing. Yes, sometimes something of modest substance does get brought up in LTE. Yes, perhaps that's worth its own heading under the OTB. You may have noticed, the OTB is otherwise pretty freakin' boring these days.

I guess I interpreted his post as more along the lines of, "hey, we know you guys are still here, and you are an interesting bunch, so why don't you come out of the back room and hang with the rest of the bar?"
That's the way I read it too, and I've resisted posting a couple of replies today.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 1st, 2010, 10:44 pm

CathyCA wrote:Okay, I replied to the LTE thing, and I'm wondering exactly what kind of response I'm going to get.

In the meantime, since I've posted OY, can some of you give me some reputation?
I tried, but, once again, the instructions were to spread the reputation points before I could give you any more reputation.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 1st, 2010, 10:46 pm

CathyCA wrote:Okay, I replied to the LTE thing, and I'm wondering exactly what kind of response I'm going to get.

In the meantime, since I've posted OY, can some of you give me some reputation?
That's amazing restraint you showed. The last time you had a message for JBD, it was something like :obscene-birdiered: , IIRC. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 1st, 2010, 10:49 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Dang, they took away the introduction thread. I was enjoying Jarhead and DD's smilie tutorial. =))
I probably lost some rep AND posts. Damn.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 1st, 2010, 10:51 pm

indoor66 wrote:I just looked and I have 100 points and two :tools-spork: :tools-spork:. That system really sucks.
Thanks for joining us. I'll go "lurking" at DBR in a while, look for some of your posts and give you a little more reputation :ymdevil: .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 1st, 2010, 11:01 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:At the risk of saying something unpopular, I thought JBDuke's note was reasonable, and a decent gesture. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't just totally wiped the LTE from DBR entirely.

That's the way I read it too, and I've resisted posting a couple of replies today.
I think this would also make a great topic for discussion at the 1st 2010 Brunchgate for a couple hours or so before the Elon game. Y'all come visit and bring a beverage or two for sharing and a few chapters of your thoughts.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 2nd, 2010, 12:00 am

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

I think this would also make a great topic for discussion at the 1st 2010 Brunchgate for a couple hours or so before the Elon game. Y'all come visit and bring a beverage or two for sharing and a few chapters of your thoughts.
I'll get right on that,... oh, wait, nope. ;)

Would love to join you if I could this year! :ymhug: :duke:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 2nd, 2010, 12:20 am

DevilAlumna wrote:At the risk of saying something unpopular, I thought JBDuke's note was reasonable, and a decent gesture.
Nothing wrong with that opinion..I even gave him a :spork: for his post...I just liked it less as I reread it. I was sincere in my response..at least he said SOMETHING. I also think that what was posted after (both here and there) were valid points.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 2nd, 2010, 7:30 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:At the risk of saying something unpopular, I thought JBDuke's note was reasonable, and a decent gesture.
Nothing wrong with that opinion..I even gave him a :spork: for his post...I just liked it less as I reread it. I was sincere in my response..at least he said SOMETHING. I also think that what was posted after (both here and there) were valid points.
What JBD's INTENT with his gesture is one thing. The re-read and parsing, especially with the Jason " " Evans response, leaves me with a bitter reminder of why I no longer have any desire to post there. It's no longer the neighborhood bar; it's FIGHT CLUB. And tag-team, moderator-led attacks on posters don't sit well with me, even though it fits the FIGHT CLUB paradigm. FIGHT CLUB just ISN'T a lot of fun. I'd love to see more women moderating over yonder, and cut out some of the tired moderators. There's no new blood, and it shows.

I DO think they're right about one thing. The site lacks the interesting discussion it used to have. If I want to read about recruiting, for example, why would I lurk in the plethora of 40-page discussions of each high school athlete that is on every school's radar? The John Wall thread exemplifies this; so does the Harrison Barnes thread. And I'm just not into instant plus/minus microanalysis of every breath that a Duke student-athlete takes. I would counter JBD's assertion of a microculture unique to just the LTE thread; there are microcultures within many of the threads of the EKF.

I agree that at least he's trying to make a statement. But here's an odd thought...

Why don't they participate over here if they're wanting "interesting" (JEvans' word) discussion?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 2nd, 2010, 8:09 am

Someone mentioned the "removal" of the Introducing... thread OY. It has simply been "unstickied."

PSA of the day.

;;)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 2nd, 2010, 8:19 am

Lavabe wrote:..it's FIGHT CLUB.
:-$
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 2nd, 2010, 8:28 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Lavabe wrote:..it's FIGHT CLUB.
:-$
Ooooooh... you're right. Forgive me. Let me try that again...

... it's FIGHT CLUB.
:fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :dwarf: :dwarf: :dwarf: :dwarf: :dwarf: :dwarf: :dwarf: :Ult Ninja: :Ult Ninja: :Ult Ninja: :Ult Ninja: :Ult Ninja: :Ult Ninja: :Ult Ninja: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :banana-ninja: :banana-ninja: :banana-ninja: :banana-ninja: :banana-ninja: :banana-ninja: :banana-ninja: :violence-duel: :violence-duel: :violence-duel: :violence-duel: :violence-duel: :violence-duel: :violence-duel: :violence-pistoldouble: :violence-pistoldouble: :violence-pistoldouble: :violence-pistoldouble: :violence-pistoldouble: :violence-pistoldouble: :violence-pistoldouble: :violence-uzi: :violence-uzi: :violence-uzi: :violence-uzi: :violence-uzi: :violence-uzi: :violence-uzi:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 2nd, 2010, 8:30 am

But he didn't write that. Instead, he wrote,
"Maybe I'm offbase here, but I think to do other than this would risk you guys becoming more marginalized and little more than a Crazietalk outpost on DBR - something I'm sure neither you guys nor my fellow mods want to see happening."
But I do agree with you in that I'm not surprised that they just haven't totally wiped the LTE from DBR entirely. That will happen one day, and it will be sooner, rather than later, I think.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 2nd, 2010, 8:40 am

DevilAlumna wrote:But I think folks here would agree that, yes, the remaining LTE crew is pretty insular (tons of inside jokes), a couple people have cracked in since CTN'ers left, but you know they haven't read through the whole damned thing.
Has anyone ever "read through the whole damned thing?" :D ;) :-o :))
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 2nd, 2010, 9:27 am

Lavabe wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:But I think folks here would agree that, yes, the remaining LTE crew is pretty insular (tons of inside jokes), a couple people have cracked in since CTN'ers left, but you know they haven't read through the whole damned thing.
Has anyone ever "read through the whole damned thing?" :D ;) :-o :))
Well, I've read 99% of it from the beginning, but I sure as hell wouldn't start from the beginning now. I don't do that on ANY thread there, even when I'd be interested in the topic, when the thread is more than a page long (I set it up to have 40 posts per page, not 20). So when there is only one recruiting thread for a player, I ignore it after the first day. I ignore most of the threads there...
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 2nd, 2010, 9:42 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Dang, they took away the introduction thread. I was enjoying Jarhead and DD's smilie tutorial. =))
Heck, I missed it. Dang. Wonder why the thread was taken away? :)) :)) =)) =))
It's still there - just not stickied to the top anymore: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/for ... ntroducing...
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 2nd, 2010, 9:50 am

devildeac wrote:Someone mentioned the "removal" of the Introducing... thread OY. It has simply been "unstickied."

PSA of the day.

;;)

You beat me to it. Here is a :happy-bouncyblue: and a :spork: in recognition.
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 2nd, 2010, 11:38 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Well, I've read 99% of it from the beginning, but I sure as hell wouldn't start from the beginning now. I don't do that on ANY thread there, even when I'd be interested in the topic, when the thread is more than a page long (I set it up to have 40 posts per page, not 20). So when there is only one recruiting thread for a player, I ignore it after the first day. I ignore most of the threads there...
This should be posted over yonder. The DBR could really benefit from this post.