The Recipe Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 17th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:So nice to see you online. We all have missed you. :)

I have never fixed Ruffy. I'm sure you can get a good recipe on the net. Good luck
I'm scared. Are you making Chinese? Ruffy sounds like someone's dog. Welcome back EJ!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: White Fish Recipe?

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 17th, 2009, 5:10 pm

EarlJam wrote:White Ruffy specifically.

Hi ya'll. Hope to be back more now that hoops season is underway.

I am currently living on a part-time basis at a contacts house near Stone Mountain, Georgia. I offered to make dinner tonight using the White Ruffy in their freezer. I can't make it to the store today so was looking for a simple, but delicious, recipe to use for tonight's dinner.

Any advice? They have most of the usual stuff here (spices, butter, cheese, breading, etc.).

Also, if you offer a recipe (and I hope you do), what should I serve with it?

Thanks...............and GO DUKE TONIGHT!

-EarlJam
Do you have the ingredients to make a bouillabaisse? All you'd need to go with it would be a salad, some hard crusted bread (French?) and perhaps a nice white wine.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: White Fish Recipe?

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 17th, 2009, 5:16 pm

EarlJam wrote:White Ruffy specifically.
This is from a flounder recipe I posted in this thread a while back. It is delicious. Should work.
BAKED FLOUNDER WITH CHEESE

2 lb. flounder filets
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 c. light mayonnaise
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
1/4 c. fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt

Place flounder on greased foil on cookie sheet. Turn up edges all around so juices do not run over. Pour lemon juice over fish. Combine rest of ingredients, set aside. Bake fish for 6 to 8 minutes in 450 degree oven until fish flakes with a fork. Remove from oven. Gently spread cheese mixture on top of fish. Put back in oven and broil just until cheese has melted and topping is golden brown.
Makes 5-6 servings.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Cranberry Relish

Post by ArkieDukie » November 24th, 2009, 8:39 pm

As per Tilly's request in the Thanksgiving thread. Please note that I'm making this up off the top of my head, and this is one of those recipes that you just add stuff until it looks right. Cathy, feel free to add your comments as well. I believe you add pecans to your recipe?

Cranberry Relish
2 C fresh cranberries, washed
1-2 navel oranges (peels and all!)
1-2 apples, cored (I use Granny Smiths)
1 sm can (8 oz, I think) crushed pineapple in juice
sugar to taste (around 1 cup)

Cut the ends from the oranges and then cut it into quarters. Combine cranberries, oranges, and apples in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Depending on the size of your processor, you may have to do the fruit in batches. Alternatively, you can use a meat grinder or blender. Transfer the fruit to a bowl, add pineapple and mix well. Add sugar to taste, mix well. Cover, place in refrigerator for 2 hrs before serving.

The number of apples and oranges needed really depend on your taste and also on how big the apples and oranges are (1 if big, 2 if smallish). Also, the oranges are key. The oranges really need to be sweet for this recipe to work well. Bitter oranges will ruin it.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: Cranberry Relish

Post by TillyGalore » November 24th, 2009, 8:49 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:As per Tilly's request in the Thanksgiving thread. Please note that I'm making this up off the top of my head, and this is one of those recipes that you just add stuff until it looks right. Cathy, feel free to add your comments as well. I believe you add pecans to your recipe?

Cranberry Relish

Cut the ends from the oranges and then cut it into quarters. Combine cranberries, oranges, and apples in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Depending on the size of your processor, you may have to do the fruit in batches. Alternatively, you can use a meat grinder or blender. Transfer the fruit to a bowl, add pineapple and mix well. Add sugar to taste, mix well. Cover, place in refrigerator for 2 hrs before serving.

The number of apples and oranges needed really depend on your taste and also on how big the apples and oranges are (1 if big, 2 if smallish). Also, the oranges are key. The oranges really need to be sweet for this recipe to work well. Bitter oranges will ruin it.
That looks so easy!!! Thank you for posting the recipe, AD. I'm going to try and make this Thursday morning. I love cranberries, and this looks so much better than opening up a can of cranberry jelly.
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 24th, 2009, 9:10 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:As per Tilly's request in the Thanksgiving thread. Please note that I'm making this up off the top of my head, and this is one of those recipes that you just add stuff until it looks right. Cathy, feel free to add your comments as well. I believe you add pecans to your recipe?

Cranberry Relish

That looks so easy!!! Thank you for posting the recipe, AD. I'm going to try and make this Thursday morning. I love cranberries, and this looks so much better than opening up a can of cranberry jelly.
You're welcome! It is very easy to make and is far superior to the canned stuff. I left out one obvious step in the instructions: wash the apple(s) and orange(s)! Let me know how it turns out. I <3 cranberry relish, but no one else in my family will eat it. Misguided people.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 24th, 2009, 10:09 pm

Cranberry Relish

I add toasted pecans. And it really is a "by feel" recipe.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » November 25th, 2009, 2:02 am

That relish recipe sounds interesting. I usually make more of a cranberry jelly, with a cup of water, cup of sugar, a bag of cranberries, a fair amount of orange zest, the juice of the orange, and a splash of grand marnier. Boil all together until the cranberries, stir until the consistency you want, then chill. It looks gorgeous in a cut glass or crystal bowl, and tastes yummy on leftover turkey sandwiches!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 25th, 2009, 5:25 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

Cranberry Relish

You're welcome! It is very easy to make and is far superior to the canned stuff. I left out one obvious step in the instructions: wash the apple(s) and orange(s)! Let me know how it turns out. I <3 cranberry relish, but no one else in my family will eat it. Misguided people.

Should I get a bag of cranberries versus a can of cranberries? Is there anything special I need to do with the cranberries before I start making the relish?
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 25th, 2009, 7:55 am

Bag of cranberries. Nothing to do except wash and sort.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 25th, 2009, 6:26 pm

I got a can. It's faster.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 28th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Chocolate Toffee Treats
by Miss Fran

- On a large cookie sheet (with sides), place Release Reynolds Wrap-dull side up.
- Line the pan with saltine crackers.
- In a sauce plan melt 2 sticks of real butter and 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Boil over medium for 3 minutes.
- Immediately pour over crackers.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 11 minutes.
- Pour 2 bags of milk chocolate morsels over the bubbly mixture and top it with a bag of toffee bits.
- With the back of spoon, mash the toffee and chocolate down into the mixture.
- Refrigerate 4 to 5 hours. Break apart and enjoy!

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 28th, 2009, 9:28 pm

CathyCA wrote:Chocolate Toffee Treats
by Miss Fran

- On a large cookie sheet (with sides), place Release Reynolds Wrap-dull side up.
- Line the pan with saltine crackers.
- In a sauce plan melt 2 sticks of real butter and 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Boil over medium for 3 minutes.
- Immediately pour over crackers.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 11 minutes.
- Pour 2 bags of milk chocolate morsels over the bubbly mixture and top it with a bag of toffee bits.
- With the back of spoon, mash the toffee and chocolate down into the mixture.
- Refrigerate 4 to 5 hours. Break apart and enjoy!
Tasted great with Brunchgate and especially with the Full Sail Imperial Porter and the Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence ;) :D . Right, 8-x ?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Glögg

Post by DukeUsul » November 29th, 2009, 3:59 pm

Ok folks. Here's my great-grandfather Forsberg's world famous Glögg recipe. Glögg is a Swedish mulled wine served around Christmas. Traditionally, it's frequently served on Christmas eve after church with Risgrynsgröt , a rice porridge.

4 oranges, seeded
2 lemons, seeded
1 cup pitted prunes
1 cup raisins
7 to 8 cinnamon sticks
20 cracked cardamom pods
24 whole almonds
20 whole cloves
4 25oz bottles California port wine
25oz. (a fifth) 190-proof grain alcohol (or vodka if you wish)

Please use non-reactive cookware (enamel, porcelain, stainless steel - NO aluminum or copper).

Cut oranges and lemons into eighths. Combine all fruit and spices in a large pot. Cook for 20-30 minutes into a fruit soup, stirring occasionally. If the fruits aren't too juicy, add 1/2 cup water. While fruit is cooking, pour wine into a large porcelain pot. Cover and bring to a simmer (do not boil - keep it under 170 degrees if you can). Pour fruit mixture into wine. Bring to a simmer again. Before wine starts to boil, add grain alcohol. Bring to a simmer again. Turn off heat. Holding the cover of the pan as a shield, ignite the mixture with a match. Let burn for 30 seconds and replace cover. Strain fruit mixture - keep the fruit to make a Glögg cake. Serve warm. Bottle remainder back in the original wine and alcohol bottles.

I'll post the Glögg cake recipe later.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Glögg

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 29th, 2009, 4:58 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Ok folks. Here's my great-grandfather Forsberg's world famous Glögg recipe. Glögg is a Swedish mulled wine served around Christmas. Traditionally, it's frequently served on Christmas eve after church with Risgrynsgröt , a rice porridge.
Awesome, thanks very much DU. Somewhere on CTN you can find my memories as a kid of my parent's Christmas disco parties. As they grew up, (but only past the 70's) they moved on, and I remember them raving over two dinners about the Glögg that was had last year and the Glögg that was coming. Also, thanks much to introducing the "ö". I don't know how you got it there, but it copies and pastes great! :D
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 29th, 2009, 6:24 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Ok folks. Here's my great-grandfather Forsberg's world famous Glögg recipe. Glögg is a Swedish mulled wine served around Christmas. Traditionally, it's frequently served on Christmas eve after church with Risgrynsgröt , a rice porridge.
Awesome, thanks very much DU. Somewhere on CTN you can find my memories as a kid of my parent's Christmas disco parties. As they grew up, (but only past the 70's) they moved on, and I remember them raving over two dinners about the Glögg that was had last year and the Glögg that was coming. Also, thanks much to introducing the "ö". I don't know how you got it there, but it copies and pastes great! :D[/quote

We make one very, very similar to this one, bottle it, and give it at Christmas. We tie a bag of dried fruit and nuts to the bottle neck for dispersing in the bottom of the cups as this is served hot. As long as the guest leaves the fruit in the bottom of his cup, it's a signal that he wants a refill. When he's had his limit, he eats the fruit This is a great drink in very cold weather, but you work up a sweat pretty quickly on a balmy day!!!

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 29th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Awesome, thanks very much DU. Somewhere on CTN you can find my memories as a kid of my parent's Christmas disco parties. As they grew up, (but only past the 70's) they moved on, and I remember them raving over two dinners about the Glögg that was had last year and the Glögg that was coming. Also, thanks much to introducing the "ö". I don't know how you got it there, but it copies and pastes great! :D[/quote

We make one very, very similar to this one, bottle it, and give it at Christmas. We tie a bag of dried fruit and nuts to the bottle neck for dispersing in the bottom of the cups as this is served hot. As long as the guest leaves the fruit in the bottom of his cup, it's a signal that he wants a refill. When he's had his limit, he eats the fruit This is a great drink in very cold weather, but you work up a sweat pretty quickly on a balmy day!!!

Love, Ima
Thanks, to both of you.

Ima, I need, big time need, you pecan coffee cake recipe.loved this. :)
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 29th, 2009, 7:09 pm

There are so many dishes, deserts, that would be good for the CTN cookbook. Everyone, please post to the site. :)
DukeUsul

Glögg Cake

Post by DukeUsul » November 29th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Alright. So you've bottled and shared your Glögg with family and friends. What do do with the muck of citrus fruit, prunes, raisins, nuts, etc. that is leftover? Glögg Cake! Even if you hate fruitcake, you'll love this one.

1.5 C applesauce
1/2 C shortening
1 C sugar
2 C Glögg fruit (remove solids like cardamom pods, cloves, and citrus rinds - chop the almonds)
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 C bread flour
2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350. Heat applesauce in a suacepan. Combine shortening, sugar and Glögg fruit in hot applesauce. Allow mixture to cool. When cool, add spices, salt, flour, soda and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 350 for one hour or until done.
-- DukeUsul
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 29th, 2009, 11:50 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote: Thanks, to both of you.

Ima, I need, big time need, you pecan coffee cake recipe.loved this. :)
I'll get it to you tomorrow. Glad you liked it. Been making that one for years.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe