Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Post by DukieInKansas » February 24th, 2010, 12:07 am

I was pulling for Joannie Rochette. I am amazed she held it together enough to skate. I hope she can pull it together to skate a clean long program.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 24th, 2010, 12:22 am

How upsetting for the Kramer in the 10000 meter speed skating event. He listened to the coach and got DQd. Simply amazing that the coach could loose track of whether he should be on the inner or outer lane.
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 24th, 2010, 9:29 am

Okay, colchar, any predictions for Canada-Russia tonight? You were right not to be too nervous about Germany yesterday, but this is a dicier matchup, no?
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » February 24th, 2010, 9:31 am

So colchar, does Canada stick with Luongo? Now that we're in the quarters, I think that question has to be asked given Luongo's mediocre pressure game history (he was downright awful in last year's playoffs). On the other hand, Fleury has played in two Stanley Cup Finals, winning one, and, last year, won two Game 7s (against Washington and Detroit). Luongo's the better goalie; but Fleury might be the better big game goalie.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 24th, 2010, 11:49 am

Lots of good stuff from Vancouver today. It's going to be difficult for me to get a lot done after about 3:00. That's when the puck drops for U.S.A.-Switzerland in the men's medal round. This will be followed by undoubtedly the game of the tournament so far, Canada-Russia/Crosby-Ovechkin at 7:45.
Should they prevail against the Watchmakers, the red, white, and blue will take on the winner of tonight's Finland-Czech Republic game (yet another intriguing match) in Friday's semifinals.
Lindsey Vonn and Julia Mancuso are also back in action today in the Giant Slalom, and Apolo Ohno laces them up for the 500m (one of the most frenetic events in all of sports). Strong U.S. medal hopes in a couple of other speedskating events too, most notably the women's 3000m relay.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 24th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Jonas Miller, the Swiss goalie is proving our earlier conversations about hot goalie play to be true...he's playing his ass off today (though he got lucky on the last play of the second period, with the horn sounding just in time). Still knotted 0-0 at the end of the second. :-ss ~X( :-ss
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 24th, 2010, 5:24 pm

U-S-A! U-S-A!
Hard fought, 2-0 win against the game Swiss. Great hockey game.
Uncle Sam is now guaranteed of playing for a medal.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 24th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Canada 3, Russia 0, less than ten minutes in.
There's still lots of hockey yet to be played, but as Yamamoto said, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 24th, 2010, 8:21 pm

wilson wrote:Okay, colchar, any predictions for Canada-Russia tonight? You were right not to be too nervous about Germany yesterday, but this is a dicier matchup, no?

Sorry for the delayed response but I was on campus teaching and in meetings all day.

I was concerned that Canada might play like they have thus far in the tournament. If that had happened they would likely lose if not get killed.

If they came out and played Canadian-style hockey there was no concern for a number of reasons. First, Russians don't like being hit, they never have. Even though the majority of these guys play in the NHL now they still don't like and cannot handle extremely physical play. Second, Russia's defence sucks. They simply aren't at the level required to handle the Canadians. I don't care how good their offense is supposed to be, if their defense isn't up to it their offense won't matter. Third, if Canada played a decent defensive game then Ovechkin would probably be a non-factor. Fourth, Russia's goaltending isn't up to the kind of pressure that Canada can throw at them. Look at the pressure they had going against Miller - there is no way the Russian goalies can handle that, especially if it is sustained for any amount of time. Fifth, the crowd being behind Canada will help them. And finally, I think the Canadian team is finally coming together and, if that holds true, they will be tough to beat. I don't like the way this team was picked or is set up but, if they are coming together and playing well, they can be world beaters.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 24th, 2010, 8:23 pm

wilson wrote:Canada 3, Russia 0, less than ten minutes in.
There's still lots of hockey yet to be played, but as Yamamoto said, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Canada 4 - Russia 1 at the end of the first period.

And Yamamoto is right - it looks like a sleeping giant has been woken up. And that giant is pissed off.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 24th, 2010, 8:26 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:So colchar, does Canada stick with Luongo? Now that we're in the quarters, I think that question has to be asked given Luongo's mediocre pressure game history (he was downright awful in last year's playoffs). On the other hand, Fleury has played in two Stanley Cup Finals, winning one, and, last year, won two Game 7s (against Washington and Detroit). Luongo's the better goalie; but Fleury might be the better big game goalie.

Brodeur is the best in the world but he isn't playing well right now so that necessitated the change. Personally, I don't think Luongo should be in there but, being Canadian, I understand why he is. If I were coaching I would have Fleury in there but, as I said, I understand why it is Luongo. Hopefully he plays well when challenged. He did suck in those playoffs but he is too good to consistently suck so I think this might be his coming out party.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 24th, 2010, 8:31 pm

Canada 5 - Russia 1 with less than five minutes gone in the second period.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 24th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Canada 6 - Russia 1.

Goal scored less than a minute after the previous one.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 24th, 2010, 8:35 pm

Canada 6 - Russia 2.

Another Russian goal but nothing to worry about. If Canada scores again the Russians will have to put in their back-up goalie and hope that he can stem the tide.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 24th, 2010, 8:43 pm

Canada 7 - Russia 2.

Consider the giant officially awake.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 24th, 2010, 8:49 pm

Canada 7 - Russia 3.

The Russians scored on a power play (Canada was caught with too many men on the ice during a line change).

If anyone wants to see a good hockey game turn this one on as it has been entertaining thus far.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 24th, 2010, 9:23 pm

On the women's giant slalom, Vonn was leading on her run when she crashed and broke a finger. The course was deteriorating BIG time.

However, as they were tending to Vonn, Mancuso was already sent down the hill, and was doing well, when she was ordered to stop, so that Vonn could be attended to. Mancuso had to go again, and had a significantly slower time. By the time she got to the bottom of the hill, she was emotionally distraught, and in 18th place after the first of two runs.

The 2nd run was postponed due to the horrible conditions.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 24th, 2010, 9:56 pm

I bet none of you were expecting us to give the Russians a skit kickin' like that eh?

If you didn't see the game try to catch a replay somewhere - especially the first two periods.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 24th, 2010, 10:16 pm

The Canadian women just won both gold and silver in the bobsled.

:flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada: :flags-canada:
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 24th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Lavabe wrote:Seriously, the Canadian pair was GREAT. In all honesty, in terms of sheer entertainment, they were fantastic, and really showed a great attitude as well.

They are from London Ontario which is about an hour from me.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------