LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by windsor » September 4th, 2014, 4:04 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Well, friend and a former classmate from Duke, got a big conviction today in the case against ex-VA Governor Bob McDonnell.

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

That was indeed a big conviction!

I bet McDonnell did not wear any amusing t-shirts to court.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 4th, 2014, 6:55 pm

windsor wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Well, friend and a former classmate from Duke, got a big conviction today in the case against ex-VA Governor Bob McDonnell.

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

That was indeed a big conviction!

I bet McDonnell did not wear any amusing t-shirts to court.
Having attended meetings with him, I can be pretty certain he did not. He used to wear suits and ties to the Virginia Beach conference, where most of the rest of us looked like we had just been dragged up from the beach in a net. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

As the Bunsen Burns

Post by ArkieDukie » September 4th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Well, the volcano didn't come through for us. Road Runner is back in town. :Boo: :Boo: I've managed to have minimal interactions with her since her return. In fact, today was a momentous day: for the first time ever, I intentionally skipped Road Runner's group meeting. I declined the invitation with no explanation. Bar Minion was presenting. 8-| L-) :ymsick: I had another meeting with Road Runner and Boris, scheduled for 9-9:30 a.m. I conveniently scheduled another meeting for 9:30 - because, hey, our meeting was supposed to be over at that time. Then, when Boris was late (as he almost always is), I had an excuse to not stick around for the entire meeting. In fact, I had to leave before Boris even arrived. :ymdevil: Since I'm now into the game of tracking hours for The Boss, I just spent 0.5 hr of the 2 hrs/week she pays me for that particular project, and I will not do one iota more than RR pays me for. I've already been down that road, and I know where it ends up.

Boris came to my office later to apologize for being late. He had been working until midnight the night before, "Making peace, love and happiness" with the instrument, trying to get it to work. (That's his way of saying that he had been f***ing with the instrument. =)) =)) =)) ) Boris cracks me up.

I haven't had any in-depth conversations with Natasha since last week, but I'm fairly certain that Road Runner bus-tossed both Natasha and me on the paper with the collaborators. Part of the work that is going to be covered in this paper is supposedly the subject of Natasha's next paper. The problem is, Natasha hasn't been able to get the necessary information from the collaborators. Now we know why: it's going into their paper. That would be great, if publishing this information meant that they'd give it to Natasha. Problem is, since Bar Minion is likely involved in preparing their manuscript, she has first shot at the information that Natasha needs and is probably already using it to her advantage to scoop Natasha. I was supposed to be working on this as well, but I really do not feel compelled to go down this particular road again. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Once my manuscript is done and the one currently in revision is completed, I am done.

From here on out, I will be adopting my sister's mantra regarding Road Runner's lab: "Not my circus; not my monkeys." Road Runner can allow Bar Minion to run wild and steal projects from other lab members as much as she likes. Bitch won't be stealing from me any more, because I will be doing work for other people. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 4th, 2014, 10:34 pm

Update on my uncle: he's out of ICU and going through rehab (PT, OT, speech therapy, etc.). They've actually mentioned a release date from the hospital, which is good news. I'm not sure if my aunt and uncle will need to stick close to Rochester for a while. My uncle still has some issues in terms of not being sure exactly where he is, and they say that decision making and memory might be affected due to the part of his brain they removed to get the infection. Given the progression of my mom's frontotemporal dementia/Alzheimer's, I wondered if those things would be an issue for my uncle. In any event, the doctors are all very pleased with his progress. Please continue to send prayers and vibes for my aunt and uncle as his recovery continues.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 4th, 2014, 11:05 pm

Woo hoo! Just found out that our book chapter was recently published. I'm first author; co-authors include Brilliant Grad Student, MacGyver, Boris, Natasha, another student, and Road Runner. Bar Minion is not a co-author; we were writing the book chapter during the time when she and her husband were working on the data analysis that no one else in the group knew about.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 5th, 2014, 1:38 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Woo hoo! Just found out that our book chapter was recently published. I'm first author; co-authors include Brilliant Grad Student, MacGyver, Boris, Natasha, another student, and Road Runner. Bar Minion is not a co-author; we were writing the book chapter during the time when she and her husband were working on the data analysis that no one else in the group knew about.
Congratulations! That is terrific news.
Life is good!
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » September 5th, 2014, 5:59 am

Continued vibes for your uncle, AD. Congrats on the book chapter!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 5th, 2014, 8:48 am

lawgrad91 wrote: Having attended meetings with him, I can be pretty certain he did not. He used to wear suits and ties to the Virginia Beach conference, where most of the rest of us looked like we had just been dragged up from the beach in a net. :9f:

dragged up in a net?? =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

I can picture that. :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 5th, 2014, 8:51 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Woo hoo! Just found out that our book chapter was recently published. I'm first author; co-authors include Brilliant Grad Student, MacGyver, Boris, Natasha, another student, and Road Runner. Bar Minion is not a co-author; we were writing the book chapter during the time when she and her husband were working on the data analysis that no one else in the group knew about.

:ymhug: :ymapplause: :ymhug: :ymapplause: :ymhug: :ymapplause:

Go Arkie! Nice to have some good news on the professional front!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: As the Bunsen Burns

Post by windsor » September 5th, 2014, 8:58 am

ArkieDukie wrote: Since I'm now into the game of tracking hours for The Boss, I just spent 0.5 hr of the 2 hrs/week she pays me for that particular project, and I will not do one iota more than RR pays me for. I've already been down that road, and I know where it ends up.

Boris came to my office later to apologize for being late. He had been working until midnight the night before, "Making peace, love and happiness" with the instrument, trying to get it to work. (That's his way of saying that he had been f***ing with the instrument. =)) =)) =)) ) Boris cracks me up.

From here on out, I will be adopting my sister's mantra regarding Road Runner's lab: "Not my circus; not my monkeys." Road Runner can allow Bar Minion to run wild and steal projects from other lab members as much as she likes. Bitch won't be stealing from me any more, because I will be doing work for other people. :9f:

Time tracking is a good move - bonus that The Boss wants it. That way you don't have to be the asshole and can send RR to The Boss if she wants more of your time than she's buying.

I use the not my circus not my monkeys mantra a lot. More with the dog club than with work (something about volunteer organizations just brings out the drama in people)

So will you be working with the person you met with last week?
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 5th, 2014, 8:59 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Update on my uncle: he's out of ICU and going through rehab (PT, OT, speech therapy, etc.). They've actually mentioned a release date from the hospital, which is good news. I'm not sure if my aunt and uncle will need to stick close to Rochester for a while. My uncle still has some issues in terms of not being sure exactly where he is, and they say that decision making and memory might be affected due to the part of his brain they removed to get the infection. Given the progression of my mom's frontotemporal dementia/Alzheimer's, I wondered if those things would be an issue for my uncle. In any event, the doctors are all very pleased with his progress. Please continue to send prayers and vibes for my aunt and uncle as his recovery continues.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

an additional VIBE STORM for continued progress and a full recovery.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 5th, 2014, 9:17 am

Great news!!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: ^:)^ \:d/ :clap:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 5th, 2014, 9:21 am

Got a computer question: since Tuesday the font on any page connected to the internet has been in a font different than the one it's been in since I got this computer, around 2011. And I've had this box with an arrow at the top regarding Trusteer Protected (or in the case of CTN, unprotected) site.

Today the font is different yet, and the arrow is actually in the line where you type, as opposed to randomly at the top.

Is someone from the IS department screwing around with me? Should I put on my aluminum foil hat? :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: As the Bunsen Burns

Post by DukePA » September 5th, 2014, 11:15 am

ArkieDukie wrote:From here on out, I will be adopting my sister's mantra regarding Road Runner's lab: "Not my circus; not my monkeys." Road Runner can allow Bar Minion to run wild and steal projects from other lab members as much as she likes. Bitch won't be stealing from me any more, because I will be doing work for other people. :9f:
HELL yes!!! Go Arkie Sis!!! :(|) :(|) :(|)
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » September 6th, 2014, 9:31 am

lawgrad91 wrote:Got a computer question: since Tuesday the font on any page connected to the internet has been in a font different than the one it's been in since I got this computer, around 2011. And I've had this box with an arrow at the top regarding Trusteer Protected (or in the case of CTN, unprotected) site.

Today the font is different yet, and the arrow is actually in the line where you type, as opposed to randomly at the top.

Is someone from the IS department screwing around with me? Should I put on my aluminum foil hat? :9f:
Aluminum foil hats never go out of style. What browser are you using?

And the standard answer is "Google is your friend".
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

As the Bunsen Burns

Post by ArkieDukie » September 6th, 2014, 9:48 am

Follow up to earlier post, with additional juicy nuggets. Yes, I have already been working with the new collaborator. I've been teaching his grad student how to do some rudimentary data analysis. BGS, Boris and Natasha have warned me that she is their group's version of Bar Minion. I will be treading very carefully.

It turns out that I missed a very entertaining group meeting. RR has to leave early to attend another meeting. After her departure, Natasha asked BarMinion a question. BM started screaming at her in response, basically for daring to ask her a question. Natasha then quit asking questions. After group meeting, the new postdoc, a very nice girl from Norway, asked Natasha a basic, "What the hell was up with that?" type question, so Natasha somewhat diplomatically gave her the lay of the land. It's really too bad I wasn't there; I would've reported BM's behavior to RR. Everyone else has pretty much given up on RR ever doing anything, and I'm not going to give a secondhand account to her. It would be really interesting to see what would happen if the new girl relayed the story to RR.

I learned something from BGS yesterday which convinces me that my gut instincts about the paper are correct. It turns out that BM's husband is now working with the collaborators down the road. Recall that he's the one who performed the analysis that BM is claiming to have done. He has all the same data files that Natasha and I have been working with, thanks to BM. He has the added bonus of having access to information that the collaborator has been denying to give us. Give the fact that RR keeps giving scut work to Natasha, not allowing her to write, would leave me to believe that RR is complicit. So, yet again, RR is allowing BM to scoop Natasha. So much for wanting to fire BM. Oh, and RR is also telling the rest of the group the same thing that she told them when she was cutting MacGyver out of the picture. Good thing I'm already making alternate plans.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 6th, 2014, 10:39 am

If these nuts would only spend half their time and energy on actually working something might actually get done around there, bless their conniving little hearts!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 6th, 2014, 11:47 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:If these nuts would only spend half their time and energy on actually working something might actually get done around there, bless their conniving little hearts!
Love, Ima
What she said! They (RR & BM) sure are wasting a lot of time and energy trying to get all the glory when working together might get much more accomplished with bigger glory to split than what they will get on their own.

Here's hoping the glory on their faces ends up being brown in nature. :poo: :hits the fan:
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 6th, 2014, 12:32 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:If these nuts would only spend half their time and energy on actually working something might actually get done around there, bless their conniving little hearts!
Love, Ima
What she said! They (RR & BM) sure are wasting a lot of time and energy trying to get all the glory when working together might get much more accomplished with bigger glory to split than what they will get on their own.

Here's hoping the glory on their faces ends up being brown in nature. :poo: :hits the fan:
True that. Here's what is really sad: Natasha is smarter than everyone on the competing team, combined. And I am including BM, her husband and the other postdoc in this group. Natasha's analysis was novel; the other group's is not. For the part I did, they are making an invalid comparison. It absolutely blows my mind that the high impact paper is going to include the work of the team that is incapable of thinking outside the box.

BM is nasty to Natasha because a part of her recognizes that, intellectually speaking, Natasha can run circles around her. When Natasha asks BM a question she cannot answer, she gets very defensive. By all accounts, this is what happened at group meeting. It's not the first time it has happened, and it won't be the last. It's all a part of her strategy of making others look bad, and it has worked quite well for her thus far. RR has enabled her by letting her get away with it, and BM has effectively covered her own ass by going to HR and reporting Natasha and me for creating a hostile work environment.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » September 6th, 2014, 2:03 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
Love, Ima

True that. Here's what is really sad: Natasha is smarter than everyone on the competing team, combined. And I am including BM, her husband and the other postdoc in this group. Natasha's analysis was novel; the other group's is not. For the part I did, they are making an invalid comparison. It absolutely blows my mind that the high impact paper is going to include the work of the team that is incapable of thinking outside the box.

BM is nasty to Natasha because a part of her recognizes that, intellectually speaking, Natasha can run circles around her. When Natasha asks BM a question she cannot answer, she gets very defensive. By all accounts, this is what happened at group meeting. It's not the first time it has happened, and it won't be the last. It's all a part of her strategy of making others look bad, and it has worked quite well for her thus far. RR has enabled her by letting her get away with it, and BM has effectively covered her own ass by going to HR and reporting Natasha and me for creating a hostile work environment.
It sure makes me wish I knew one of the top people in the field so I could fill them in on the situation and ask them to request a visit so they could come let Natasha and you look great and knock RR/BM/et al down a peg or two. Maybe not to their faces but get a good enough picture to tip off any higher ups there that need a true picture plus the publications.

Actually, if I knew the tops in the field, I'd just suggest they look into hiring you and Natasha and BGS.
Life is good!