Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 27th, 2014, 8:41 am

bjornolf wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Hey, I had a question for the meat smokers out there. I was at a stop light today and a pickup pulled up next to me. There were signs on the truck that said BBQ IN MOTION. On the back was a big wire mesh trailer. On that trailer was a huge smoker that looked like it was about three 55 gallon oil drums laid horizontally, welded together, and painted black. Here's the thing. The guy was driving down the road at 45 mph... with the smoker blasting away smoking meat. It looked like a choo choo train. So, is this advisable/legal? I was thinking if he got in an accident, flaming materials would be spewed all over the road. I was thinking if he crashed into a fuel tanker, we could all die.
Sounds like an insurance company commercial to me. A little mayhem, anyone? :9f:
Oh my gosh. I could totally see Dean Winters as a flaming coal exploding your tires on the interstate! How awesome would that be?! I found a website dedicated to smokers that said it is definitely illegal in states like California and Colorado with dry brush problems. One guy said he tried it with a pig on the way to the beach once, and the problem was they didn't take into account increased air intake on the road, causing high temps and charcoaling of said piggy. :(( Other problem another mentioned was gray ash all over the inside of the grill. Luckily, he was pre-heating, not cooking, while driving.
If they hadn't already done the tailgate grill flying off the back of the pickup, they would totally need to do your idea. How does rolling bbq guy handle bumps and pot holes? By the time TNT and I get the grill back to his house after a tailgate, we don't have to worry about clearing out any ash, we left it all between Wake Forest and Durham.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 27th, 2014, 11:20 am

shereec wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:AD, continued vibes and prayers for your uncle.
What LG said!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
but still sending volcanic ash vibes, as well...
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I concur with these two wise women. Praying and vibing from Kansas.

:YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug:

and for RR - :happy-bouncyredfire: :happy-bouncyredfire: :happy-bouncyredfire:
Life is good!
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » August 27th, 2014, 11:29 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
shereec wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:AD, continued vibes and prayers for your uncle.
What LG said!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
but still sending volcanic ash vibes, as well...
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I concur with these two wise women. Praying and vibing from Kansas.

:YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug:

and for RR - :happy-bouncyredfire: :happy-bouncyredfire: :happy-bouncyredfire:
Count me in on the various vibes :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 27th, 2014, 11:45 am

Thad Lewis got cut by Buffalo yesterday as reserve QB. I feel confident his phone will ring with another offer.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 27th, 2014, 12:56 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: If they hadn't already done the tailgate grill flying off the back of the pickup, they would totally need to do your idea. How does rolling bbq guy handle bumps and pot holes? By the time TNT and I get the grill back to his house after a tailgate, we don't have to worry about clearing out any ash, we left it all between Wake Forest and Durham.
Not sure. Here are some forums that discuss it.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/8247 ... ever-do-it
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archi ... 91934.html
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 27th, 2014, 1:14 pm

@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 27th, 2014, 1:15 pm

bjornolf wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: If they hadn't already done the tailgate grill flying off the back of the pickup, they would totally need to do your idea. How does rolling bbq guy handle bumps and pot holes? By the time TNT and I get the grill back to his house after a tailgate, we don't have to worry about clearing out any ash, we left it all between Wake Forest and Durham.
Not sure. Here are some forums that discuss it.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/8247 ... ever-do-it
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archi ... 91934.html
LOL!! Universal answer is "hell no".
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 28th, 2014, 7:53 pm

Thanks for the vibes and prayers for my uncle. Keep them coming! He has made a great deal of progress over the last several days. He's been eating well and moving around a bit, AND he can correctly identify where he is! He was moved out of ICU today. There's still some infection in his brain lining. Please send microbe-killing shin kicks in addition to the vibes! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

It was a banner day on the professional front as well. I had a meeting with a very prominent person on campus, and it turns out that he can use my help NOW. He has data that was acquired by the core lab on campus, and they have not done any sort of analysis for him. They are absolutely stuck until they get some results. I'm going to meet with him and his grad student next week in order to start her down the road to performing the analysis herself. He was very receptive to being a faculty mentor for me as I apply for a training grant, which is fabulous news. I requested that we keep our discussions along these lines confidential for the time being, as Road Runner has found a way to block every maneuver I've made to date for which my goal has been to become an independent researcher (not that I told him the exact reason why I want confidentiality). So, I am well on my way to establishing a mutually beneficial collaboration with a big wheel on campus who does Alzheimer's research. All in all, not a bad day's work. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 28th, 2014, 9:26 pm

Yay! Congrats!
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 28th, 2014, 10:09 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Thanks for the vibes and prayers for my uncle. Keep them coming! He has made a great deal of progress over the last several days. He's been eating well and moving around a bit, AND he can correctly identify where he is! He was moved out of ICU today. There's still some infection in his brain lining. Please send microbe-killing shin kicks in addition to the vibes! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

It was a banner day on the professional front as well. I had a meeting with a very prominent person on campus, and it turns out that he can use my help NOW. He has data that was acquired by the core lab on campus, and they have not done any sort of analysis for him. They are absolutely stuck until they get some results. I'm going to meet with him and his grad student next week in order to start her down the road to performing the analysis herself. He was very receptive to being a faculty mentor for me as I apply for a training grant, which is fabulous news. I requested that we keep our discussions along these lines confidential for the time being, as Road Runner has found a way to block every maneuver I've made to date for which my goal has been to become an independent researcher (not that I told him the exact reason why I want confidentiality). So, I am well on my way to establishing a mutually beneficial collaboration with a big wheel on campus who does Alzheimer's research. All in all, not a bad day's work. :9f:
Sounds like you uncle has turned the corner. That's terrific. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Vibes for you also. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: Sounds like your luck is getting better.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 29th, 2014, 2:55 am

Vandy got beat handily by Temple. Thus begins the post-Franklin era. Duke football may be my only college football refuge this season.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » August 29th, 2014, 7:13 am

Congratulations to Miles! He and his beautiful wife blessed our family with a perfect baby boy yesterday evening! Mother, baby, and Papa all healthy and happy.
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 29th, 2014, 7:29 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Thanks for the vibes and prayers for my uncle. Keep them coming! He has made a great deal of progress over the last several days. He's been eating well and moving around a bit, AND he can correctly identify where he is! He was moved out of ICU today. There's still some infection in his brain lining. Please send microbe-killing shin kicks in addition to the vibes! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Excellent news on both fronts!!

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Powering up some additional vibes that things continue to improve both for you professionally and for your uncle!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 29th, 2014, 8:28 am

shereec wrote:Congratulations to Miles! He and his beautiful wife blessed our family with a perfect baby boy yesterday evening! Mother, baby, and Papa all healthy and happy.
Yay! Congratulations!

:duke:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 29th, 2014, 8:41 am

shereec wrote:Congratulations to Miles! He and his beautiful wife blessed our family with a perfect baby boy yesterday evening! Mother, baby, and Papa all healthy and happy.

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

Awesome! Welcome future crazietalker!!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 29th, 2014, 9:33 am

Hooray!!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » August 29th, 2014, 9:49 am

Congrats to all! :happy-bouncyblue:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
DukePA

Post by DukePA » August 29th, 2014, 10:25 am

Wonderful news! Congratulations to Miles and Kelly :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 29th, 2014, 10:56 am

And he is adorable! Let's start outfitting that boy in the correct shade of blue!
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 29th, 2014, 11:00 am

Great news on both fronts. I see the volcano in Iceland is starting to make more noise - is RR still in Europe?

Prayers, vibes, hugs, and shin-kicks continue - in the appropriate directions.
Life is good!