LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukeForester
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DukeForester » July 5th, 2014, 12:41 pm

We were at Sea World watching their fireworks display, so I don't know how our Maltese handled the goings on. It was absolutely amazing how much exploded fireworks trash I observed in our neighborhood during my morning walk. Looks like we could have stayed home and saw just about the same display. My kids tell me that is because this is the first 4th of July in numerous years that we are not under severe drought restrictions and residents could legally set them off outside the San Antonio city limits.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 5th, 2014, 2:59 pm

I'm close enough to see Sea World's display from my house. I didn't notice them last night because there were so many in my neighborhood.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 5th, 2014, 7:48 pm

DukeForester wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I loathe fireworks....
And San Antonio residents certainly love their fireworks. Every neighborhood has its own private display. Must be a Texas thing.
Definitely a Texas thing. Tons of fireworks in Galveston as well.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 5th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I wish I could say I have good news. I have heard NOTHING from Road Runner regarding this meeting, and I believe it happened earlier this week. I have, however, noticed a shift in her behavior toward Bar Minion. It appears that BM is back in RR's good graces. I'm not the only person that has noticed this; RR has made a complete 180 degree shift in her attitude toward BM. The instrument problems are now allegedly because of a mistake that Boris made, as per BM. RR's new official policy is that BM has to check off on all instrument runs before they start. :-o After this particular declaration, BM is golden again. My spidey sense tells me that something is up with BM and RR, and it is not good. Time to amp up my plan to extricate myself from their orbit.

I have a sneaking suspicion I know what BM said to weasel her way back in. Based on something RR said to me, I think BM somehow convinced RR that MacGyver is sabotaging the instrument. :-o I have no firm basis for this other than a gut instinct, but this has been a pretty reliable indicator in the past. I also know that RR is in the midst of a determined (and, sadly, pretty successful) smear campaign against MacGyver. RR is currently collaborating with MacGyver's current department chair, who has turned against MacGyver to the extent that he is not supporting MacGyver's appeals to the Provost regarding tenure. Road Runner is telling people that MacGyver has lost an appeal and will be out the door soon. The only way she would know this is if she heard it from MacGyver's department chair. Lord only knows what she has told him. I can guess, because I know what she has said to me. I finally told MacGyver about RR's statements about his pending departure after he told me about a weird conversation he had with BM in which she asked him if it was true that he was leaving. I have not told him other pretty inflammatory statements she has made. In any event, the crazy is seriously amping back up with Road Runner.
If someone has been denied tenure AND receives no chair support on an appeal, the individual is likely gone.
In that case, gee, blame the person who is leaving? UGH!! :Boo:
Wasn't tenure itself, but a somewhat related matter regarding the time clock. If the institution cuts the amount of $$ they promised you (making it impossible to hire a technician) and your instrumentation isn't up and running until 2 years in, it's a bit difficult to keep on the clock set by the institution. MacGyver is trying to extend the time on the clock. Think of it as asking for a medical redshirt. Without going into too many details, I'll say that some other somewhat powerful people are going to bat for MacGyver. Getting all of this accomplished without RR's knowledge could be challenging...

I will also say that there's no way in hell that MacGyver would even think of sabotaging Road Runner's instrument. That is nowhere even near the ballpark of how he operates. It is entirely within the realm of something that Bar Minion would do (or get a friend to do for her). RR didn't come right out and accuse MacGyver, but she implied the accusation. I think she wanted me to pass it along in order to make MacGyver angry, but there is no way in hell I would even think of doing that.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 5th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Night #2 of fireworks.
DukeForester
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by DukeForester » July 5th, 2014, 10:27 pm

The natives are at it again here also, though not to any great extent. Back east, we only celebrated the 4th of July on 1 night. Another Texas thing I guess.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 5th, 2014, 10:49 pm

DukeForester wrote:The natives are at it again here also, though not to any great extent. Back east, we only celebrated the 4th of July on 1 night. Another Texas thing I guess.
I think it might be a Texas thing in touristy areas. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 6th, 2014, 8:04 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukeForester wrote:The natives are at it again here also, though not to any great extent. Back east, we only celebrated the 4th of July on 1 night. Another Texas thing I guess.

It is a Florida thing too -- pre game on the 3rd...much booming on the 4th...with a encore on the 5th. Same thing for New Years Eve.

My poor old Wizard is miserable.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 6th, 2014, 8:10 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I loathe fireworks....
%-(

I love them. When they are set off in their official capacity, and not by Jim Bob across the street at 1am.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 6th, 2014, 11:14 am

windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

It is a Florida thing too -- pre game on the 3rd...much booming on the 4th...with a encore on the 5th. Same thing for New Years Eve.

Georgia thought END OF TIMES was only one night. Last night was awful as well. Fireworks on the 5th... yuck!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » July 6th, 2014, 12:18 pm

windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

It's a North Carolina beach thing, too. At least last night was nowhere near the extent of Friday night. We'll have random Jim Bob Joe fireworks throughout the summer.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 6th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Have you guys seen the thunder shirt? My dad's shiba inu used to freak out during thunder storms and fireworks. Now he just slaps it on her when it starts and she's fine.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 7th, 2014, 6:55 am

bjornolf wrote:Have you guys seen the thunder shirt? My dad's shiba inu used to freak out during thunder storms and fireworks. Now he just slaps it on her when it starts and she's fine.

I use the thunder shirt on Wizard. It REALLY helps. He is still nervous (pacing drooling shaking) but he is not out-of-his-mind frantic.

Comes with a money back guarantee - if anyone hasn't tried one I recommend it for sure.l
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 7th, 2014, 10:32 am

windsor wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Have you guys seen the thunder shirt? My dad's shiba inu used to freak out during thunder storms and fireworks. Now he just slaps it on her when it starts and she's fine.

I use the thunder shirt on Wizard. It REALLY helps. He is still nervous (pacing drooling shaking) but he is not out-of-his-mind frantic.

Comes with a money back guarantee - if anyone hasn't tried one I recommend it for sure.l
Merlin has a Thunder Shirt, and it works great with thunderstorms. He has never seemed too bothered by fireworks, but thunderstorms turn him into a panting maniac.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 7th, 2014, 10:41 am

I had to deal with the cops on the night of July 4. My cousin's husband (from New York) didn't put away his fireworks quickly enough when the Holden Beach police came driving up the beach, even though 10+ people were yelling at him that the police were on their way.

I went downstairs and talked with the young police officers, who were just doing their jobs. I told them, "It won't happen again." I also prevented my nephews and my cousin's husband from opening their mouths (which is when so many people get in trouble when they try to talk back to the cops).

The police officers then confiscated a bag of "fireworks" which happened to be sparklers sitting on the pool deck. They never saw the boxes of fireworks that the guys hid under the deck. #:-s

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 7th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Well that was fun. Just dopped a grand at the vet. Not on the sickly Terv...no no no...on the Hunk Of Labby love himself.

Damn labs do not show pain - turns out Jester had a bladder stone and a screaming bladder infection. He is fine...probably avoided surgery. Wasn't expecting to drop that kind green today.

Oh well. I am greatful I have it so spend.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 7th, 2014, 8:53 pm

windsor wrote:Well that was fun. Just dopped a grand at the vet. Not on the sickly Terv...no no no...on the Hunk Of Labby love himself.

Damn labs do not show pain - turns out Jester had a bladder stone and a screaming bladder infection. He is fine...probably avoided surgery. Wasn't expecting to drop that kind green today.

Oh well. I am grateful I have it so spend.

correction bladder CRYSTALS not stones.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 7th, 2014, 8:54 pm

windsor wrote:
windsor wrote:Well that was fun. Just dopped a grand at the vet. Not on the sickly Terv...no no no...on the Hunk Of Labby love himself.

Vibes from Merlin, Sasha and Wesley for a quick puppy recovery! :O3 :O3 :O3
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 8th, 2014, 12:21 pm

windsor wrote:

Crystals are prettier than stones. They're sparkly.

I hope that Jester feels better soon. :ymhug:

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 8th, 2014, 1:53 pm

CathyCA wrote:
windsor wrote:

Crystals are prettier than stones. They're sparkly.

I hope that Jester feels better soon. :ymhug:

Jester is on the mend.

Wizard is not. He fought the good fight, but a few hours ago I let him go. He is free now. I am crushed.