Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » May 5th, 2013, 6:27 am

Blind Pig IPA-Russian River Brewing

A shout out to my older son-in-law for this one. Well, it was my suggestion as he wanted to buy me an Anchor Steam or 21st Amendment brew when he and my daughter visited San Francisco last week. I had to convince him they are both available in NC so he shopped around a bit and found a 510 ml (really), or 17.25 ounce, bottle of this libation. This is only the second Russian River brew I've ever had, the first being Damnation a couple or three years ago.

Poured a light yellow-golden with pungent aromas of pine and tropical fruits that emanated from the large foamy head. I think this is pretty typical for a west coast IPA with an almost overpowering hop presence, guessing the IBU to be 70-75 and having tastes of grapefruit and papaya with a bit understated malt backbone and an ABV of only 6.1%. I don't think the brewers want you to age this IPA as the entire label is bordered with warnings or commands not to age this brew and IPAs are not meant to be aged. I happily obliged as I sipped the entire contents over an hour or more last evening and the bottling date was 12/12/12. I'm glad we'll be visiting the area in August as the brewery is about 60 miles from San Francisco and we can hopefully combine a brewery tour with a winery tour or three. Worth seeking out or having a friendly beer mule bring one back for you when they visit California.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2013, 1:08 pm

King Hooligan/Hooligan King (draft)-Catawba Valley Brewing

Drink local!

Not sure of the real name of the beer. On the menu at the Bier Garden in Asheville last PM it was the first name. Several other sites listed the beer as the latter. No matter, it is a Scottish style ale so it was a clear, dark brown pour with a small head and aromas of milk chocolate and dark caramel. There was little to no smokiness that is typical of Scotch ales. Guess that's why it's a Scottish style ale. Hop presence is minimal, guessing an IBU of 20-30. The ABV was 8.1%, a bit high for the style, and also had faint tastes of whiskey and butterscotch. Made a very nice match with my hickory smoked BBQ sandwich and brown-sugared/cinnamoned sweet potato fries. Made it even tastier to find out when the bill came that it was a 1/2 price pint for $2.50 'cuz Tuesday nights are pint nights.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 9th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Big Operator (draft tasting)-Big Boss Brewing

Drink local (sort of-it's a Raleigh brewery and I'm in Asheville)!

I actually had a two ounce taster of this last PM as my after dinner beer. A liquid mild chocolate-covered, slightly underripe raspberry. A couple sources list this as a black ale but the menu described it as a Belgian dark ale and I'd agree with this classification. Dark brown appearance with a small head, the aroma was dark, dried fruits, chocolate and rum and the raspberry taste was pretty subtle and near the finish. Think Belgian dubble/brown ale here so the IBU are pretty low, guessing 20-30 with an ABV of 8.6% so the standard pour would be 10-12 ounces. The sample was free but a full serving would have been $5 which is pretty reasonable for a complex high ABV brew.

Found a label and a picture of a bottle on line so they must have released this in limited quantities in bombers and kegs.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 9th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Organic Pale Ale (draft)-Pisgah Brewing

Drink (more) local!

Starter brew from the sampler I had to go with my salad, fried and parmesan-coated/crusted ear of corn and small mountain of pulled pork with a generous dollop of smoked jalapeno BBQ sauce tonight at the Tupelo Honey Cafe in Asheville. This is a draft only brewery in nearby Black Mountain, NC. Five ounce pour with a small head and well balanced light caramel/malty/bready sweetness with Chinook and Nugget hops which imparted a bit of pine with a pinch of citrus to the taste. IBU of 31 so very easy on the palate with an ABV of 5.6%, if my memory is correct.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 9th, 2013, 9:12 pm

West Coast IPA (draft)-Pisgah Brewing

Drink local (again)!

This copper colored ale matched even better with the corn and 'cue. A bit larger, creamier head (than the pale ale from above) sat atop a piney/resin-y and slightly citrus-y elixir with quite a bite from Citra and HB842 (unnamed) hops. Fairly well balanced with sourdough bready tastes, an estimated IBU of 70-80 and an ABV of 6-7%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 10th, 2013, 9:32 pm

IPA (draft only)-Green Man Brewing

Still drinking local!

Beer #3 in Tuesday night's sampler.

Lots of hops and lots of grain=a balanced IPA. Bronze color with a small, creamy head, this piney/resinous IPA has a hint of citrus with a slight, bready sweetness. I'd guess the IBU around 70 with an ABV of 6.2%. Paired nicely with the 'cue and corn. Sorry, fuse, don't think the growlers would have kept until this weekend.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 10th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Wee-Heavy-er (draft)-French Broad Brewing

Last local!

I had this about 3 years ago when we visited Asheville and celebrated the end of the 'cue, corn and salad dinner with this as my dessert beer. It's a Scotch style ale which means it poured a dark brown and had aromas and tastes of dark caramel and milk chocolate-thinkImage. Little hop bitterness, guessing 30 IBU. Faint smokey aromas and tastes, too. ABV of 7% made it the final taster of the evening. Worth a pint on draft or a bomber if you can find one in central or western NC.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2013, 8:12 am

Couple fancy ones coming up.

Duvel Rustica (draft)-Ommegang/Moortgat Brewing

Belgian (or Belgian like) beer night!

What a discovery Friday night at the Thirsty Monk in Asheville! Well, I actually discovered what was planned for Friday night on Thursday after dinner. I thought it was to be a special tapping of kegs from Ommegang and Liefmans but the actual "event" was a part-time Ommegang rep (by day he is an IT person) handing out samples of 3 different brews already on tap, Duvel Rustica and Three Philosophers from Ommegang and Goudenband from Liefmans. They are all owned by the Belgian brewing giant (?), Moortgat, hence the special "event."

First up, Duvel Rustica. For anyone who has ever tasted Duvel (any Duke fan worth their weight in pitchforks needs to know that Du(i)vel is "devil" in Dutch/Flemish but I am not a language expert so that's about the best I can do), perhaps the finest golden ale in the world, this brew is incredibly close. I was fortunate to have about a three ounce sample and it poured an effervescent pale yellow with a generous amount of fizz/Belgian lace which lingered through the sipping. The only differences, according to the rep, were NY (upstate) water and Ommegang's house/proprietary Belgian yeast. Nonetheless, I'm not sure I could have told the difference in a blind side by side taste test, which he willingly offered but I foolishly declined. European hops provide floral aromas and tastes along with notes of Granny Smith apples and slightly underripe pears. The Belgian style yeast imparts a black peppery spiciness. I'd guess the IBU about 30-40 and the ABV is 8.5%. This would make a fabulous pre-dinner beverage with a fruit/cheese tray or would accompany a white/light fish/seafood entree, even with a bit of spice to it. Also makes a great beverage by itself. Available also in corked/caged 750 ml bottles. Worth seeking out and buying a bottle now and one for next year.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2013, 8:13 am

Goudenband (draft)-Liefmans Brewery

Not sure where to start with this. Guess it would be best to describe as one of the world classic Belgian/Flemish sour ales. If you've ever had a Rodenbach ale, then that's a pretty good comparison. Served as a 2-3 ounce sample and slightly chilled, it had a reddish brown and slightly cloudy color with complex scents of dark, dried fruits, dark rum and dark candy sugar. Definitely sour tasting with the best analogy being sour pie cherries with an ever so slight hint of apple vinegar. Smallish head with an estimated IBU of 30-40 and a published ABV of 8%. I've never had one of these before and, getting over the tartness of the brew, I am highly impressed with its body and tastes. I was even more fortunate to taste this side by side with a New Belgium Foedre #1.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 19th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Totally Naked (the beer, not the poster)-New Glarus Brewing

Another of the throaty to Lavabe to personal pick up in Lexington connections. I actually wrote a fabulous review (cough) last PM but browser switching and some computer issues ate my homework so I'll try to remember. Poured a pale straw color with a small head and a light floral bouquet nose and minimal bitterness. A true pilsner/lager made with European hops, this is indeed a light beer but not devoid of flavor. Very light caramel notes on the palate makes this a nice beverage to pair with lighter chicken or seafood entrees. I'd guess the IBU to be 10-20 and the ABV about 4.5%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 19th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Monk's Revenge (vintage 2011)-Terrapin Brewing Company

I found one of these in my BIL's 'fridge and, considering I traded it to him 2 years ago and he still hadn't consumed it, I figured I'd help him clean out the 'fridge a bit. A review from 2010 is first and a brief update at the end.

I think this is one of their best offerings yet, mostly because of the marriage of 2 different styles of ales and its variety of flavors. The esters of a triple with some cloves, bananas and dark fruits and also the knock your tongue off hops of an IIPA. There's a bit of pine and citrus on the palate here. If I were to pair this, I think it would be with spicy, peppery foods like curry or a mildly fiery salsa topping with some grilled fish. I enjoyed it plain and found all the aromas and flavors to be quite challenging to discern and pleasant to enjoy. I remember the ABV to be 9.6% and, IIRC from the web site, the IBU are a menacing 99 so it is NOT for the faint of palate.

Here's some more info:

Step back in time for this holier-than-thou union of two great brewing traditions that are worlds apart. Kudos to Friar Spike and Little John for marrying a classic Belgian Style Tripel and a new age American Double IPA.

Revenge is a BEER best served cold!

Annual Release: March

The high content alcohol of this beer make it perfect for cellaring…hide it away and pull one out for a special event 2-3 years later.

ABV: 9.8%

IBU’s: 99

O.G.: 19.7

FG:: 2.1

Malt: 2-Row Pale, Pilsner, Munich Lt., Special Aroma, Pale Crystal, Acidulated

Hops: Magnum, Columbus, Chinook, Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe

Update: I thought the hops were toned down/mellowed a bit by the aging and more elements of the triple were prominent like the banana and cloves. Almost a tad sour (apple?) after a couple years of aging but still a very interesting beer "marriage" of a DIPA and Belgian triple. The ABV on the bottle was indeed 9.6%. So, for those looking for a bit of a beer adventure, this would fit the role nicely.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 22nd, 2013, 8:34 am

Golden Ale (Belgian style)-Schlafly Brewing

One of their special release brews that I found in Lexington, Kin-tucky last month, it poured a clear, light golden color with some Belgian lace that did not linger but might have if I had used the proper glass. Nose of honeydew, canteloupe and apples with a slight black peppery jolt on first taste which followed through with apples and pears and melons. IBU stated at 23 and the ABV is 7%. I think the IBU is on par for the style but the ABV is a bit low. I'd put this in the same league as Victory's Golden Monkey but not at the world class level of Duvel. But, what is? An ounce or two of aged Parmesan cheese made a nice snack with this ale and, if served with a meal, I'd make it an aperitif brew with a fruit and cheese plate or dinner beverage with a spicy, fruity salsa and some grilled chicken or tilapia.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 23rd, 2013, 4:06 pm

There can't be good living where there isn't good drinking-Benjamin Franklin
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 23rd, 2013, 4:11 pm

How about this:

http://www.today.com/food/star-trek-...d=msnhp&pos=6#

Vulcan Ale. Sounds interesting.

Beam me up another one, Scotty.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 23rd, 2013, 5:09 pm

If you're in the Triangle and develop a thirst:

http://www.wral.com/best-pubs/12437920/
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 23rd, 2013, 5:38 pm

CathyCA posts in the "Ymm, Beer" thread:

Look at this! It's the BBQ & Brews Dinner Train! http://www.gsmr.com/events/bbq-brews/bbq-brews

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 23rd, 2013, 5:45 pm

CathyCA wrote:CathyCA posts in the "Ymm, Beer" thread:

Look at this! It's the BBQ & Brews Dinner Train! http://www.gsmr.com/events/bbq-brews/bbq-brews

Cool idea!

And your annual post in the Ymm, Beer thread is duly noted :D !
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 23rd, 2013, 9:44 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:CathyCA posts in the "Ymm, Beer" thread:

Cool idea!

And your annual post in the Ymm, Beer thread is duly noted :D !
Thank you. I was looking for fun train excursions, and this one made me think of my CTN friends.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 24th, 2013, 11:47 am

devildeac wrote:There can't be good living where there isn't good drinking-Benjamin Franklin
Brewer, Patriot!

Whoops... wrong patriot! ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 24th, 2013, 10:48 pm

A-IPA or, American IPA-Schlafly Brewing

I split the 6er of this I brought back from Lexington last month. This is one of their special releases and one I'd like to see as a year round beer. But, then again, I live in NC and it's not available here. Very representative of the style. Poured a golden hue with a moderate to large foamy head that lingered. Aromas of tropical fruits and tastes of orange, mango, papaya and pineapple. It was a bit sweeter than most IPAs with a solid caramel/malty backbone. Stats are pretty standard for an IPA also with IBUs at 65 and ABV at 7.2%. Very nice warm spring sipper or would stand up well to spicy fare.