LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by TillyGalore » April 28th, 2014, 9:27 am

Hugs, prayers, and vibes for you AD.

:ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard:
I worship the Blue Devil!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 28th, 2014, 3:22 pm

AD, I'm holding you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers. :ymhug:

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » April 29th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Good evening
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 29th, 2014, 9:18 pm

A question: Can I post somethingfor sale on eBay that I don't own, say lawgrad's car? Just to see what someone else might pay for said vehicle?
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » April 29th, 2014, 9:35 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:A question: Can I post somethingfor sale on eBay that I don't own, say lawgrad's car? Just to see what someone else might pay for said vehicle?
You must leave Winston Helfet Mini Cooper alone, or Fiona Tauiliili Mini Cooper will be heart broken!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Re: As the Bunsen Burns

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 29th, 2014, 10:45 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Loads of fun recently. Road Runner continues her decline into being stark raving mad. Others in the lab continue to question what the heck Bar Minion is being paid to do, as she never sets foot in the lab. The same questions are raised about Son of Road Runner, who is being paid to sit at his desk and play computer games. My role in her lab has devolved to validating data (her people don't like to do this, so it gets relegated to me), randomizing samples and generating instrument queues. The latter two tasks are basic secretarial work that her people don't like to do. Morale is at an all-time low.

I've been having fun dealing with Wile E. Coyote's wife. Her most recent escapade was to mess up the plumbing on one of our instruments (she messed up a couple of fittings and a couple of pieces of tubing). She then proceeded to call the instrument manufacturer and tell them to send replacement parts. It's somewhat similar to running out of laundry detergent and calling the manufacturer of your washing machine and requesting that they send more. I don't know how many times I told her that the service agreement doesn't cover consumables. She contined to harangue our service engineer about this long after she had been told that it is not covered. #-o L-) All I could do was apologize to the service engineer and fix her mess.

Just before Easter, I was trying to set up the instrument to run some samples for another investigator. Nothing was working. I tried everything I could think of, but the machine was still not working correctly. Just before I called tech support, and about 3/4 of the way through the day, I discovered that Wife of Wile E. Coyote had switched the solvent lines for my method. She put the water line into the organic solvent and vice-versa. X( I switched it back and everything was fine. The question still remains, why the hell did she swap the lines? She had to have been stealing solvent from one or both bottles because she was too lazy to get her own. (Rant redacted)

The person I'm running the analysis for brought me another set of samples yesterday. The set that I ran before was a hot mess (he's doing method development). I told him he needed to extract a couple of concentrations in triplicate to make sure he can get consistent results (variation less than 20%). Yesterday's sample set consisted of 6 samples, 3 concentrations in duplicate. I asked him why he didn't run triplicates; his answer was that he only had 6 cartridges. I then asked the obvious, "Why didn't you do 2 concentrations in triplicate?" The answer was, "Oh, I didn't think of that." #-o This is not a new problem with this particular individual. He's from one of those countries where women are viewed as intellectual inferiors. He has yet to do anything I tell him to do.

An acquaintance at work has just gotten a VERY nice position with another academic institution in Houston. He got a 50% raise to work 2 miles from home, and he got a HUGE startup package to purchase instrumentation. He's planning to hire 2 people; one of them will do exactly what I do now. Projected hire date is next January. We will be staying in contact with one another; he will let me know when the position is advertised so I can apply.
Gosh!!!! We're going to chew our fingernails down to the quick by JANUARY!!!! No way to hurry this process and get you out of this funny farm????
Love, Ima
PS Still vibing for your mom. Let us know what's going on there.
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 29th, 2014, 11:11 pm

DukePA wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:A question: Can I post somethingfor sale on eBay that I don't own, say lawgrad's car? Just to see what someone else might pay for said vehicle?
You must leave Winston Helfet Mini Cooper alone, or Fiona Tauiliili Mini Cooper will be heart broken!
Purely hypothetical...honestly I'm trolling for a non legal legal opinion. The subject has come up on a car website I frequent and I couldn't find anything specific about it in eBay's policies/rules.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » April 30th, 2014, 11:28 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
DukePA wrote:
Purely hypothetical...honestly I'm trolling for a non legal legal opinion. The subject has come up on a car website I frequent and I couldn't find anything specific about it in eBay's policies/rules.
I* would think that eBay would be against such a thing - you have to be able to follow through on the sale. Didn't they make someone take down the listing for their soul?

Not only an I NOT a lawyer, I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Life is good!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 30th, 2014, 11:38 am

Congrats to the LA Clippers on a great game!!!!! Leading 3-2 :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 30th, 2014, 1:17 pm

DukePA wrote:
Six months ago, you could have sold the Rev. Lawgrad's gas guzzling '95 BMW, but he sold it himself. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 30th, 2014, 1:26 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
DukePA wrote:
In Virginia, it would be attempting to obtain money by false pretenses. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 30th, 2014, 2:05 pm

while I guess it's impossible to hijack an LTE thread, I have to finally give in to my long held curiosity about what "YmoBeThere" could possibly mean. :-? I'm sure when you tell me I'll go " #-o ".
Love, Ima
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 30th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:while I guess it's impossible to hijack an LTE thread, I have to finally give in to my long held curiosity about what "YmoBeThere" could possibly mean. :-? I'm sure when you tell me I'll go " #-o ".
Love, Ima
Mr. Peabody is going back in the wayback machine to the 80's: :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo2Kn8iBxA
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 30th, 2014, 3:45 pm

What Lavabe said. Growing up I was known as either Yamo or Nooch. During my years in Durham it was just Yamo. I don't think anyone called me by my first name, honestly there were a lot of Brians, so Yamo worked well.

In setting up my screenname here, I mistakenly omitted the A. I've never gone back to correct it.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 30th, 2014, 3:51 pm

#-o Thanks a lot, lavabe. Now I can't get it out of my head!

Love, Ima
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 30th, 2014, 10:16 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:#-o Thanks a lot, lavabe. Now I can't get it out of my head!

Love, Ima
Did you mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrffDM3hHk8
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 30th, 2014, 10:35 pm

Update on my mom: she's out of the hospital and in a rehab facility/nursing home for 2-3 weeks. They want to give her a chance to get her strength up before she goes home. She went to the new place yesterday. Fortunately she's in the town where both my brothers work. Older brother popped in first thing this morning and again after work. His wife is the one who works in a different nursing home; she had to have a come-to-Jesus talk with the folks taking care of my mom. Apparently they let my mom lay in a wet bed for a good length of time. Not sure how long, but any length of time is unacceptable. My dad to explain to them that she cannot press a call button when she needs to go to the bathroom and they are not going to be able to train her to do so. Her hands shake so badly that she has difficulty feeding herself; they were expecting her to do so. They were also putting her water in a regular glass instead of her normal covered glass with a straw. Part of this may just be a lack of familiarity in dealing with my mom; I'm seriously hoping they get squared away soon. If not, she'd be better off at home. My dad does a far better job taking care of her. He's my hero.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 1st, 2014, 5:57 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:
In Virginia, it would be attempting to obtain money by false pretenses. :9f:
Danke Schon!
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » May 1st, 2014, 6:39 am

Continued healing vibes to your Mom, AD and mo better caretaking vibes to the facility staff...
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » May 1st, 2014, 7:38 am

More vibes to AD Mom! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: