LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by TillyGalore » April 23rd, 2014, 12:00 pm

Lavabe wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Just have to brag (what else is new?) - niece Elizabeth just called to let me know that she has settled on where she will be going to college. The decision was made much easier with the result of this morning's interview - she has been awarded quite a generous scholarship. I can welcome her to the ACC - although she won't be at Duke.

Hey, Lavabe - has Legacy Lady determined where she will be in the fall? As I recall, you mentioned an acceptance to the school where Elizabeth will be going.
So, here's what happened:
1) There were a number of acceptances from places which shall remain nameless, except there was one that has a used car salesman as a basketball coach. I think nothing says yUcK better than the day when LL received a package from said school, and it was A COUPLE OF WILDCAT BEACH TOWELS AND SUNGLASSES, enticing her to come. Yeah... no letter from potential major departments. Way to push athletics instead of academics! L-)
2) Other schools that shall remain nameless had inefficient financial aid processes that wound up rendering these two schools out of the running. I mean literally, inefficient forms and process took the schools out of the running.
3) DePaul (Honors): It came down to this school and another one. Substantial merit/scholarship/financial aid, but initially more expensive. Responded within 23 hours of submitting the financial aid appeal, and came up with a big offer... I think they wanted her. Academics leaned in DePaul's favor. Slam dunk decision.

I am now a DePaul Dad!! :ymparty:
Congratulations!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
I worship the Blue Devil!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 23rd, 2014, 12:04 pm

Lavabe wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Just have to brag (what else is new?) - niece Elizabeth just called to let me know that she has settled on where she will be going to college. The decision was made much easier with the result of this morning's interview - she has been awarded quite a generous scholarship. I can welcome her to the ACC - although she won't be at Duke.

Hey, Lavabe - has Legacy Lady determined where she will be in the fall? As I recall, you mentioned an acceptance to the school where Elizabeth will be going.
1) There were a number of acceptances from places which shall remain nameless, except there was one that has a used car salesman as a basketball coach. I think nothing says yUcK better than the day when LL received a package from said school, and it was A COUPLE OF WILDCAT BEACH TOWELS AND SUNGLASSES, enticing her to come. Yeah... no letter from potential major departments. Way to push athletics instead of academics! L-)
2) Other schools that shall remain nameless had inefficient financial aid processes that wound up rendering these two schools out of the running. I mean literally, inefficient forms and process took the schools out of the running.
3) DePaul (Honors): It came down to this school and another one. Substantial merit/scholarship/financial aid, but initially more expensive. Responded within 23 hours of submitting the financial aid appeal, and came up with a big offer... I think they wanted her. Academics leaned in DePaul's favor. Slam dunk decision.

Woo hoo! Congratulations all around!
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » April 23rd, 2014, 12:13 pm

Lavabe wrote:

Congrats DePaul Dad & to Anna too!

DinK what school did your niece decide on?
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
DukePA

Post by DukePA » April 23rd, 2014, 12:56 pm

Congratulations, LL! ILJ! and Lavabe!!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 23rd, 2014, 8:11 pm

Congrats! I think their mascot finishes a distant second to the Blue Devil though.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » April 23rd, 2014, 8:16 pm

Congrats to parents and children on college choices!

Since I now live in the Alamo city, I am being forced to utter this:

Go Spurs Go!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 23rd, 2014, 8:47 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Congrats to parents and children on college choices!

Since I now live in the Alamo city, I am being forced to utter this:

Go Spurs Go!
Last year Dave Robinson was in Durham during the NBA finals. I heard someone yell out a cheer for the Spurs, I wanted to yell back We Are Duke, go Shane and the Heat.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » April 23rd, 2014, 9:42 pm

Congrats Lavabe!

We're gearing up for our second round of picking a college around here. First school visit was today - Clark University in Worcester, Mass.

Number 2 Son: It met all my requirements except one.
BD: What's that?
Number 2 Son: Well, they have to accept me.

I suppose that is a requirement.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 23rd, 2014, 10:00 pm

Lavabe wrote:

Congratulations, Legacy Lady!

Congratulations, DinK Niece!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 23rd, 2014, 11:07 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Congrats Lavabe!

We're gearing up for our second round of picking a college around here. First school visit was today - Clark University in Worcester, Mass.

Number 2 Son: It met all my requirements except one.
BD: What's that?
Number 2 Son: Well, they have to accept me.

I suppose that is a requirement.
Did he pply? There's that too.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » April 24th, 2014, 12:59 am

Lavabe wrote:

Congratulations! Scholarships/financial aid can make the decision much easier.

Niece Elizabeth will be attending Pitt - the Honors College. After 3 rejections and 2 waitlists from her final 5 applications, she was down to the Honors programs at Pitt or Kansas. The Stamps Foundation scholarship from Pitt made the choice easy.
Life is good!
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » April 24th, 2014, 9:32 am

Congrats to all who've made their college choices! We have some smart ones coming up for sure! :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 24th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Congrats on Pitt!

Note to CathyCA, BD, and others who will be selecting in the next year: NPR did an interesting piece the other day on emerging and sometimes disturbing trends regarding acceptance, financial aid, and wait lists: http://www.npr.org/2014/04/24/306167197 ... admissions
Note that need-blind admissions and need-based financial aid are going through some major changes. I don't envy the work that admissions and financial aid counselors go through, but I have no doubt that some of what is discussed in this link did affect the college choice process for us. For example, one place we visited, stated flat out that they were need-blind admissions; three months later (and unbeknownst to us), they were exposed as not being need-blind.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 24th, 2014, 10:38 pm

Hand watering trees and shrubs takes up a lot of time.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » April 25th, 2014, 10:59 am

DukieInKansas wrote:Congratulations! Scholarships/financial aid can make the decision much easier.

Niece Elizabeth will be attending Pitt - the Honors College. After 3 rejections and 2 waitlists from her final 5 applications, she was down to the Honors programs at Pitt or Kansas. The Stamps Foundation scholarship from Pitt made the choice easy.
Congrats to Niece Elizabeth and Legacy Lady.

I believe Niece Elizabeth can expect to find good accommodations in Sutherland Hall, where many of the freshman Honors College students are housed. Pitt's transformation from a commuter / night school / entry-level college to a place that is attracting top students from all over the country continues to amaze and delight me. And yes, big gobs of money helps clarify the decision making process.

Hard to believe Swee'Pea is finishing up her sophomore year at Pitt; this week is Finals Week. She loves it and is making the most of her opportunity. Rumor has it she also has a honey bunny on the side now; need to find more particulars so I can go online and find out if this young gentleman is worthy of Swee'Pea's time and attention.

Is it just me, or does DePaul's mascot look like a cross between two Muppets: Count von Count and Grover?
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 25th, 2014, 11:09 am

Turk wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Congratulations! Scholarships/financial aid can make the decision much easier.

I believe Niece Elizabeth can expect to find good accommodations in Sutherland Hall, where many of the freshman Honors College students are housed. Pitt's transformation from a commuter / night school / entry-level college to a place that is attracting top students from all over the country continues to amaze and delight me. And yes, big gobs of money helps clarify the decision making process.

Hard to believe Swee'Pea is finishing up her sophomore year at Pitt; this week is Finals Week. She loves it and is making the most of her opportunity. Rumor has it she also has a honey bunny on the side now; need to find more particulars so I can go online and find out if this young gentleman is worthy of Swee'Pea's time and attention.

Is it just me, or does DePaul's mascot look like a cross between two Muppets: Count von Count and Grover?

I thought more of an evil Cookie Monster.

Or a cross between :ymdevil: and Cookie Monster.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 25th, 2014, 11:31 am

Lavabe wrote:Congrats on Pitt!

Note to CathyCA, BD, and others who will be selecting in the next year: NPR did an interesting piece the other day on emerging and sometimes disturbing trends regarding acceptance, financial aid, and wait lists: http://www.npr.org/2014/04/24/306167197 ... admissions
Note that need-blind admissions and need-based financial aid are going through some major changes. I don't envy the work that admissions and financial aid counselors go through, but I have no doubt that some of what is discussed in this link did affect the college choice process for us. For example, one place we visited, stated flat out that they were need-blind admissions; three months later (and unbeknownst to us), they were exposed as not being need-blind.
I have one more factor complicating paying for college, and that is the disparity between ExLax's income and mine. Using his income, my kids don't qualify for financial aid. Using my income, my kids would qualify for financial aid. When son #1 went to a state university, we split the cost of tuition based upon a pro rata share of our respective incomes to the whole. If son #2 goes to a private university, splitting the cost of tuition based upon a pro rata share of the whole would bankrupt me. (Nothing would please ExLax more.)

Everyone PRAY that son #2 gets scholarships, or that some financial aid officer will recognize the disparity of parental incomes and see fit to help out my poor kid.

I hate that son #2 could be be stuck in the crossfire of his parents' divorce at least one more time.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » April 25th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Turk wrote:

I'm hoping she will set up an Aunts weekend so her two Kansas Aunts can see the campus in person and make up for her not being just 45 minutes down the road. I haven't been back to Pittsburgh in many decades so I'm anxious to see it again - maybe even run by the old house in the North Hills.
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 25th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Turk wrote:

Hey, Pitt was attracting top students back when I was a high school senior. :ymblushing: ;) :)) =))

I am sure that Elizabeth and SweePea will both make the most of Pitt.
As for the DePaul mascot... we'll see if LL attends any athletic events. I predict she will attend very few. :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » April 25th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Turk wrote:

Hey, Pitt was attracting top students back when I was a high school senior. :ymblushing: ;) :)) =))

I am sure that Elizabeth and SweePea will both make the most of Pitt.
As for the DePaul mascot... we'll see if LL attends any athletic events. I predict she will attend very few. :D
I predict that EBeth will go to quite a few of the athletic events.

As I tell any high school seniors I know, it isn't as much which school you attend as it is what you do when you are there. Get to know your professors and fellow students and be involved in campus activities - that will do more for you than the name of the school. Of course, in all cases - study hard and well.
Life is good!