Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » February 1st, 2013, 8:55 pm

Matilda (4/11 bottling)-Goose Island Brewing

Very interesting brew. This is a Belgian style pale ale and the caramel malts dominate and there are notes of apples and pears but the truly fascinating qualities and flavors of this creamy, cloudy yellow-orange beverage originate from the yeast. Initially, I thought typical Belgian and peppery, but, after several sips from a tulip glass, I thought this is a bit barnyard-type funky and reading the bottle confirms that this is a Brettanomyces yeast brewed ale. IBU a bit low for a pale ale at 32 and ABV a shade high at 7% but this would pair nicely with soft cheeses during your pre-dinner snacking, or with spicy dishes for your entree. I wanted to wait a year before drinking (they say it will develop up to 5 years in the bottle) but just couldn't resist sharing this bomber a month early with Lavabe last week when he visited. After all, he did send it down over Christmas to help cover the cost of his wife's room and board over the holidays

Matilda (2/12 bottling; 12 ounces)-from 6/19/12

Not many differences between the 2011 and 2012 brewings. The 2011 may have been a bit smoother after nearly a year of aging vs "only" 4 months for the 2012 issue. I traded one, drank one and have 2 remaining so I'll save one for next year and probably give one to my son a bit later this summer. Certainly worth the $9 for the 4 pack that I procured in April during our trip to Kentucky.

And, from tonight:

Matilda (2/12 bottling)-aged for nearly a year

Same bit of funk as last year's review but very, very smooth. Now, it tastes a bit more like stewed/spiced apples and pears. Enjoyed by itself from a tulip glass. I will make it a special point to visit the Liquor Barn in Lexington as we journey there in April on our way to see The Carmel (Indiana) Symphony perform Beethoven's Ninth. Going to need some extra space in the car...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 1st, 2013, 9:02 pm

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 6th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A-Schmaltz Brewing (or is it Saratoga Brewing or is it Mendocino Brewing)

From HE'BREW, the chosen beer series, established 5757 (1996). I kid you not. A very strange twist on the standard DIPA with a large portion of the grains being rye as in this list: 2-row, Rye Ale Malt, Torrified Rye, Crystal Rye 75, Crystal Malt 80, Wheat, Kiln Amber, CaraMunich 60. Get a load of this hops list, too: Warrior, Cascade, Simcoe, Crystal, Chinook, Amarillo, Centennial. Dry Hopped with Simcoe, Amarillo and Crystal. That's a lotta damn hop pellets/cones/flowers. It tastes it, too. I could not find the IBU anywhere but I'd guess 90+ as this is one palate-wrecker of a brew. Very citrusey and piney and it overpowers the huge amount of grain, even at 10% ABV. Tastes a bit musty from all the rye, in addition to the caramel sweetness from all the other grains. Poured an orange-yellow and almost oily in appearance and texture. Pretty generous head, too. I got a 12 ounce bottle as a trader in early January and would share another but certainly not buy a 4 pack.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 6th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Southern Belle-Olde Hickory Brewing

Drink local! Well, almost local as this is brewed in Hickory. The brewers describe this better than I could:

"The second in our 2012 series of saisons.Southern Belle was brewed with Belgian malts, including acidulated malts which created a crisp beer with a little bit of tartness. It also used Styrian Aurora hops, a cousin of Styrian Goldings, which are often found in saisons, and lend a lemony citrus flavor and aroma which compliments the tartness of the malts. It was then aged in chardonnay barrels. These barrels were on their third use (for beers) and so the wine character is more subdued with a stronger oak character. 8.5% alc/vol."

My thoughts: Poured a cloudy straw color with a small, fizzy head. Tastes and aromas of sour apples and underripe pears. A bit of pepper from the Belgian yeast and a dry finish. I'd guess the IBU about 30. I did not detect the chardonnay barrel aging and not even sure it was mentioned on the label. This would pair nicely with fruits and soft cheeses before a meal or with a tropical fruit salsa topping on a light fish entree. Definitely worth the $7-8 for the bomber that I shared with a son-in-law during the Devil-deac game last week.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 9th, 2013, 8:30 am

Levity-Odell Brewing

I continue to enjoy the practice of medicine and my patients. WTH? I got one of my patients ready for a ski trip to Colorado over the last several weeks and just before he left, I wrote him a "prescription" for some beers he should "try" after skiing and that he might "consider" bringing back for his favorite cardiologist (with apologies to davekay1971). He cheerfully obliged with six bubble-wrapped and ski boot protected bottles of this lighter take on an amber ale. Pretty typical fare here with Munich and honey malts and minimal hop bitterness blended nicely. Poured a very light brown with a modest head. There was a bit of a floral bouquet in the nose and light, sweet caramel on the palate. Very clean and crisp and would pair nicely with lighter grilled fare, soups and sandwiches. IBU were 24 and the ABV was 5.1%. I've got 5 left. Wonder what I'll do with them....
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 13th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Sixteen (2011 issue)-Weyerbacher Brewing

Happy Anniversary #16 to the folks at Weyerbacher about a two years late. I feel lucky to have found a 4 pack of this at Total Wine a couple weeks ago and only waiting a year for it instead of two or three years like it was with their Fourteen and Fifteen. This is a dark brown and mildly cloudy braggot with a rather small head that is made with a humongous amount of honey and I'd guess about as much malted barley. Here are a couple definitions of mead and braggot and I'll admit that I am a bit confused (http://mead.bravehost.com/braggot.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead). This most resembles an especially strong Belgian double or brown ale with flavors of raisins, dates, figs, dark rum and, of course, considering the amount of honey used, a very dark honey. I'm not sure any hops are used and the bitterness is minimal and the ABV checks in at 10.5% so this beverage is easily and best served slightly chilled in a tulip glass or snifter by itself or with perhaps some bread pudding or pound cake.

This review is from April, 2012, so the final bottle I enjoyed with my son-in-law a couple weeks ago was almost two years old. This one was a bit smoother and retained all the above characteristics of dark honey, dark brown sugar, dark rum and dried fruits. Always an adventure to buy anniversary ales and I'll miss this high quality brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 13th, 2013, 8:48 pm

Insanity (2011)-Weyerbacher Brewing

(February, 2012 review) Even smoother than the March, 2011 tasting. And I still have one bottle left to sample next year . Oak/cask/bourbon barrel aging has made most of the barleywines I have tried so much softer on the palate by giving them vanilla, woody and dark fruity flavors in addition to the whiskey tastes.

Here are my 2011 notes:

Insanity-Weyerbacher Brewing

From the brewer: Insanity is made by aging our perfectly balanced Blithering Idiot Barleywine in oak bourbon casks. This incredible combination creates a mélange of flavors from rich malts, raisons, and dates to oak, vanilla, and bourbon. Insanity will be yours this February!

From my lips: This is the style/manner in which most barleywines should be made. I'll guess an IBU about 70-80 but the ABV is 11.5% for an incredible malty backbone and balance. Quite smooth and luscious and even reminding me of another favorite of mine, Dogfish Head's Immort Ale, with some maple syrup notes. Marketed in 4 packs at about $13 for the grouping. The pour is slightly cloudy and deep reddish-brown, the head is modest and it should be served about 55-60 degrees in a snifter/goblet and sipped after ACCT victories

From the last bottle of the 2011 litter from January, 2013:

This just gets better with age. Not much better, but much like Sixteen, I thought this was a bit smoother and richer than my 2012 tasting. I split a 12 ounce bottle with my son-in-law a couple weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed this nightcap. So, if you see a 4 pack, buy it and set aside one for each of the next three years and enjoy one shortly after your purchase.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 16th, 2013, 10:19 am

Sneak Attack-21st Amendment Brewing

"You might not expect a Saison in winter. But the enemy didn’t expect Washington to cross the icy Delaware, either. Expectations be damned, we say. We’re sneaking up on winter with a boatload of bravado and this Belgian-style farmhouse ale. Dry hopped with whole organic cardamom pods, our Saison has an assertive spiciness. In your face, winter.

Sneak Attack is our late winter seasonal beer available from January through March in six pack cans and on draft. The perfect antidote to the big beers of winter, Sneak Attack is crisp, dry and palate cleansing. It pairs perfectly with the rich and warming foods of winter: Bouillabaise, sausages, smoked meats and full flavored cheeses."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 16th, 2013, 10:21 am

Verboten-Weyerbacher Brewing

Some background notes:

"Verboten is a Belgian-style Pale Ale with an American twist. Verboten is the newest addition to our year-round 12 oz lineup.

Verboten is brewed with pale, carahell, and wheat malts, and hopped with Centennial and Cascade hops to give it a distinctly American character. The medium bodied beer has a crisp palate and moderate bitterness coupled with the fruity esters from the abbey yeast strain. It is bottle and keg conditioned so expect a tall fluffy head and a small amount of sediment.

Originally released as “Alpha”, Verboten was the first Brewers’ Select beer. It was later seasonally released as…. as…. well, as the word for “fools” in Dutch. THAT name was ‘forbidden’ so we have elected to go with Verboten (German for forbidden)!"

Some tasting thoughts:

Poured a slightly golden-yellow with a modest head, the aromas were light caramel and lemon grass and the flavors matched with a hint of citrus. The Belgian yeast and styling of a pale ale gives it a bit of spice. IBU are 30 and the ABV was 5.9% so it would be nice to try a couple different pale ales and compare them, especially BPA, Ommegang's offering of this style. Got a 6er of this last week and have my usual plans for disposition, trading and gifting and perhaps saving one a few months for some warmer weather.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 16th, 2013, 10:21 am

LTD Series Recipe Number 06-Full Sail Brewing

LTD is not exactly what you think it might be. Typically, it means limited and there is some truth to that as these are limited release lagers but they intend for these specialty brews to be thought of as Live The Dream. I've never had a black bock before and that is how they describe it and the pour comes fairly close with a deep, dark mahogany pour, small creamy head and notes of milk chocolate, toffee and some dark, dried fruits and they swear there are no additives in this mildly brown sugary sweet lager. IBU at 34 and ABV at 7% so it kind of falls in-between a single and double bock. Pour slightly chilled and sip for dessert or with an oatmeal raisin cookie or Blondie. Got 5 more left so I'll trade a couple, "loan" a couple to my son and keep one until traditional bock season in April or May.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 18th, 2013, 10:44 pm

Pimp-Clown Shoes/Mercury/Brash Brewing (Massachusetts)

This just gets more confusing all the time. Apparently, Brash Brewing moved out of Texas due to some beer laws and hooked up with Mercury and Clown Shoes Brewing in Ipswich to produce this specimen. I'll let the brewers start the product description:

"Brash Brewing Company, the brain child of Petrol Station’s Ben Fullelove, collaborated with us to make Pimp. Ben made a recipe for a double batch of a rich Belgian brown and we made a double batch of a 10% version of Brown Angel. The two beers were blended to make Pimp, a double, double brown ale."

My translation: This creamy, dark brown ale most resembles an imperial brown/imperial Belgian dubbel ale with a slightly viscous pour and a rummy, caramely, brown sugar sweet brew. Best served at about 55-60 degrees to enhance all the flavors, this could be sipped with a sweet BBQ sauced brisket or ribs or as a dessert beverage with or without a cinnamon pound cake or deep dish apple pie/crisp/cobbler. I'd guess the IBU about 30-40 and the ABV is listed at 10% so I divided a bomber over two nights. Excellent brew.

Great name :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 23rd, 2013, 7:18 pm

Union Jack-Firestone Walker Brewing

I've read several reviews here but have never tasted a Firestone brew until I bought this at a small wine/cheese/specialty shop in Williamsburg in December. Thought it had spoiled when I had a big, foamy pour last PM but, after the fluffy, light yellow head had mostly dissipated, I was left with a pungent, yellow-orange IPA with all the hop flavors and aromas you could imagine with the 6 varieties of hops used for bittering, aroma and flavoring. I tasted/sniffed citrus/pine/cannabis and tasted light caramel sweetness. Pretty standard #s with IBU of 70 and ABV at 7.5%. As with most IPAs, this would match nicely with hot/spicy dishes. This is an excellent IPA.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 24th, 2013, 11:08 am

Brainless-Epic Brewing

This is a Belgian style golden ale, much like Duvel, the standard bearer for this category. It's not Duvel but I'd consider it a highly worthy rival. Poured a flocculent, light gold color with a typical Belgian lace head which clung to the chalice as I shared a bomber of this with a son-in-law last evening. Nose of straw and lemon grass with tastes of under-ripe crisp apples and pears and a bit of a black pepper bite from the Belgian yeast used for fermentation. I'd guess IBU low, perhaps 30ish. ABV on the bottle at 8.7%. No aging to this one as I bought it about a month ago for about $8, IIRC, and no date on the bottle. Sipped nicely by itself but would pair nicely with a fruit plate pre-dinner, with a light fish/chicken entree or as a dessert beverage, with or without a fruit tart or assortment of soft cheeses. Headed to Utah next week so it will be an adventure to see what Epic brews my son and I might find out there that are not available in NC.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 7th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Page 3? WTH?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 7th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Time for some make up calls.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 7th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Union Jack-Firestone Walker Brewing

I've read several reviews here but have never tasted a Firestone brew until I bought this at a small wine/cheese/specialty shop in Williamsburg in December. Thought it had spoiled when I had a big, foamy pour last PM but, after the fluffy, light yellow head had mostly dissipated, I was left with a pungent, yellow-orange IPA with all the hop flavors and aromas you could imagine with the 6 varieties of hops used for bittering, aroma and flavoring. I tasted/sniffed citrus/pine/cannabis and tasted light caramel sweetness. Pretty standard #s with IBU of 70 and ABV at 7.5%. As with most IPAs, this would match nicely with hot/spicy dishes. This is an excellent IPA.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 7th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Brainless-Epic Brewing

This is a Belgian style golden ale, much like Duvel, the standard bearer for this category. It's not Duvel but I'd consider it a highly worthy rival. Poured a flocculent, light gold color with a typical Belgian lace head which clung to the chalice as I shared a bomber of this with a son-in-law last evening. Nose of straw and lemon grass with tastes of under-ripe crisp apples and pears and a bit of a black pepper bite from the Belgian yeast used for fermentation. I'd guess IBU low, perhaps 30ish. ABV on the bottle at 8.7%. No aging to this one as I bought it about a month ago for about $8, IIRC, and no date on the bottle. Sipped nicely by itself but would pair nicely with a fruit plate pre-dinner, with a light fish/chicken entree or as a dessert beverage, with or without a fruit tart or assortment of soft cheeses. Headed to Utah next week so it will be an adventure to see what Epic brews my son and I might find out there that are not available in NC.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 7th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Sexual Chocolate (2013 version)-Foothills Brewing

A grand slam brew or hitting for the cycle. This imperial stout has become somewhat legendary in its several year existence and the pint a couple weeks ago at Tyler's Taproom, prior to seeing Mary Poppins at the DPAC with my younger daughter, lived up to its reputation and more. The pour is nearly black and the small head which does not linger long is a medium tan. The nose is dark, semisweet chocolate and espresso and the tastes are the same with black strap molasses and dark aged rum. As is standard for imperial stouts, the IBU are high at 85 but the massive amounts of chocolate and black patent malts smooth the high IBU very nicely along with the ABV of about 10%. It was served cold but I sipped it about 30 minutes and the warming released all the above flavors. I actually drank water with my meal and savored this as a dessert beer. The pint was $7, which I thought was very reasonably priced. My drug rep buddy had a friend standing in line at the brewery on release date on 1/29 and he waited an hour in a line that was 3 blocks long and had to leave to take a child to swim practice so I ended up with zero bottles . I'd have another pint of this in a New York minute if we go out to dinner next week and it would be worthwhile for anyone living in NC to call around to your local beer emporiums to see if they have any left on draft. This was a stunning brew and easily makes my top 5 list along with the BBCS, the DFH Palo Santo Marron, Bridgeport's Old Knucklehead and the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 7th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Forgotten Hollow-Roth Brewing

Drink local! This is a porter brewed right here in Raleigh. I found a bomber of this several months ago and forgot about it until last week and sipped it over two nights. Poured a cloudy, dark brown color with a light tan head. Tasted like a cinnamon-spiced coffee-milk chocolate after dinner beverage with the cinnamon being just a bit too pronounced. I'd guess IBU about 30 and the ABV is 6% on the label. Best served at about 55-60 degrees, it was quite pleasant alone and would have been marvelous with a light chocolate or caramel dessert. Brewed by the same folks who bring us Sex Viking.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 7th, 2013, 10:44 pm

Trader Joe's 2012 Vintage Ale-Unibroue Brewing

=)) =)) =)) =))

OK, cut the laughter, folks. I am serious here. My wife gave me a 750 ml corked and caged bottle of this for Christmas on my "suggestion" for a nice Christmas gift. I saw it last year but never made it to TJs for a bottle or three. I'm headed back there in November or December this year and may buy a case. Beer-o-philes will recognize the brewer as one of the better ones in Canada. Their products include Maudite, La Fin du Monde and Trois Pistoles, three outstanding beverages. TJs sells this annually for about $4.99 or $5.99 for the big bottle and it was a steal. Poured a creamy, thick brown with a light tan, fizzy head. Basically, it's a Belgian style dark ale with spices and natural flavorings added. I think the spices are likely nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice, much like many winter ales. There are also dark fruit tastes. I'd guess the IBU about 30 and the ABV was 9% so this was best served at 55-60 degrees in a tulip or chalice.