Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » January 6th, 2013, 7:53 pm

Inversion IPA-Deschutes Brewing

This is one of the hoppier IPAs I have ever tasted clocking in at an IBU of 80 with 6 hop varieties. Four malts provide a nice balance with an ABV of 6.8%. Lots of citrus, especially grapefruit in the nose and a light caramel taste in the middle with a moderately bitter finish. Pour was an straw-orange color with a moderate head. Tasted by itself but would match nicely with spicy foods. Overall, I like Two Hearted Ale better but this is a very fine IPA. Bought a six pack of this during our stay in Portland and shared four and brought a couple back for trading purposes.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 6th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Red Nose-Natty Greene's Brewing

I found another Natty's that I like! This is their winter ale and is spiced with orange curacao, ginger and cinnamon, but not in over-powering quantities. The addition of wheat malt imparts a bit of cloudiness to the brown ale base in addition to a bit more citrus flavor. Moderate head with a low IBU, guessing about 30 with a dark malty finish and an ABV of 6.8%. A pleasant, local seasonal brew that is certainly worth a 12 ounce purchase, draft or to receive as a trader. Had this before Christmas and had almost forgotten about it until I just found its long lost twin hidden behind the leftover rice, green beans and a bunch of other holiday remnants as we cleaned out our second 'fridge and the last of our holiday visitors. I think a son-in-law had brought it over after their Christmas party as part of their holiday room and board.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Cream Stout-Boston Brewing

Pretty standard fare here with a silky mouth feel in an almost pitch black pour. Darkly roasted malts lend a slightly burned taste and some mild to moderate bitterness which is offset by the lactose sugars used/formed in the brewing process imparting a sweet taste. I'd guess the IBU about 40 and the ABV 5-6% so you could have a tasting session comparing a couple styles like Mackeson's and Left Hand's offerings. Good for/with dessert, too. I think this came as a leftover from my daughter and son-in-law's Christmas party a few weeks ago.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Exodus Porter (draft)-Sweetwater Brewing

Another worthy addition to the dark brew crowd. Poured a dark milk chocolate brown with coffee on the nose and a hint of chocolate. Smooth and a bit creamy with mild bitterness at an IBU of 25 and a shade higher ABV than most porters at 6.2%. Nice beverage to have with grilled/roasted beef products, to add to a kettle of chili or sip with dessert. I split a pint of this at the Atlanta airport last week with my son.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 12th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Ebenezer Ale-Bridgeport Brewing

Poured a reddish-brown with a small head and tastes of light caramel and a bit of dark fruit with aromas of floral hops. IBU were 40 and the ABV is 6.4%. Pleasant winter warmer but I like the Deschutes' Jubelale better. I bought a 6er of this on our recent trip to Portland and brought back a couple for sharing/trading. Shame we didn't have more suitcase space/shoes for a 6er of Full Sail's Wassail Ale, another dark winter warmer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 19th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Nut Brown Ale-c*rolina Brewing Company

No nuts here. Just a medium, clear brown ale with a dry, nutty/almond-y taste and a bit more hoppy/piney bite than you would expect from your usual slightly sweet tastes. Moderate head, a bit of toasted malt and chocolate-y flavors. Good brew with burgers, ribs and other BBQ fare. I'd guess the IBU about 30 and the ABV is 4.9% so you could have a nice tasting session of several brown ales in an afternoon or evening. Drink local (Holly Springs, NC)!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 19th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Jubelale-Deschutes Brewing

Poured a dark ruby-brown color with a small to modest head and hints of licorice, dark and milk chocolates and a drop of espresso. A true winter warmer ale. A bit hoppier than you might expect for the style at 60 IBU but with a pretty standard ABV at 6.7%. Serve with fruitcake or any spiced cakes or by itself as you recline by a fire. Had one of these in Portland earlier this month and brought back another couple for traders.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 19th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Sleigh'r-Ninkasi Brewing

A dark double alt ale. An alt ale is a medium brown, clear beer that is brewed with top-fermenting ale yeast that is lagered, or stored, before being released for consumption. This takes the style a bit further with more hops and more malts. A typical alt has an IBU of about 30 and this clocks in at 50. The ABV of a single alt is usually about 5% and this is a bit on the heavy side at 7.2%. Lots of caramel malty sweetness with a bit of floral and grassy hops. Apparently, fairly typical of this brewery to go the next step with some of their brews like Tricerahops and Total Domination IPA, both of which my son brought back to NC last January after a trip to Portland. I had a bottle of this in Portland earlier this month and brought back a couple to trade, too.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 21st, 2013, 5:35 pm

After trying a Magic Hat sampler pack long ago, and deciding that Magic Hat sucks, I've decided to give them a second try.
The first beer, an ESB named "Wooly", sucks. It tastes like a dead tree.
Not looking good.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 21st, 2013, 9:14 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:After trying a Magic Hat sampler pack long ago, and deciding that Magic Hat sucks, I've decided to give them a second try.
Not looking good.
If you don't want the #9 in the sampler, if there is one, I'll take it! :D I've never tried any of there other brews.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 21st, 2013, 10:35 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:After trying a Magic Hat sampler pack long ago, and deciding that Magic Hat sucks, I've decided to give them a second try.
Not looking good.
Find one of these instead:

Idiot IPA-Coronado Brewing

Perfect beer for me! Not sure I've had any other brews from these folks. Brewed with an insane amount of the C hops: Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Columbus with a few of the Nugget variety to an IBU of 90. Two types of malts are used and they must be in massive quantities too as they achieve an ABV of 8.5% in a fairly well-balanced IIPA. The mild caramel sweetness is enhanced with the addition of brown sugar which I have never heard of being included in this style. Poured a golden-yellow with a two-fingered head with tastes and aromas of citrus, pine and flowers. Ironically, haveing never tasted this before, I received two 12 ounce bottles of this over the holidays, one as a gift and the other as a trader. Pair with spicy/hot foods.

:D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 21st, 2013, 10:43 pm

Serum-DuClaw Brewing

An even newer brew/er than the Idiot from above. I've never heard of this outfit but it was a quality ale. CB&B picked one (several?) of these up in a specialty shop near Blacksburg over the Thanksgiving holiday and we traded a 6er at the Miami game. Just getting around to drinking one last week. Damned bottle still smells like ginger beer from the one he busted in his cooler before trading. Poured a light orange-yellow with a small head with scents of pineapple, grapefruit and mango with a good, sweet malty balance. Not quite as monstrously hopped as the Idiot, this one measured 80 IBU. A bit more ABV at 9% so this would also match nicely with hot/spicy fare.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 22nd, 2013, 8:41 am

devildeac wrote:Serum-DuClaw Brewing

An even newer brew/er than the Idiot from above. I've never heard of this outfit but it was a quality ale. CB&B picked one (several?) of these up in a specialty shop near Blacksburg over the Thanksgiving holiday and we traded a 6er at the Miami game. Just getting around to drinking one last week. Damned bottle still smells like ginger beer from the one he busted in his cooler before trading. Poured a light orange-yellow with a small head with scents of pineapple, grapefruit and mango with a good, sweet malty balance. Not quite as monstrously hopped as the Idiot, this one measured 80 IBU. A bit more ABV at 9% so this would also match nicely with hot/spicy fare.
I think that name should be pronounced "DUKE LAW." :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 22nd, 2013, 10:11 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
devildeac wrote:Serum-DuClaw Brewing

I think that name should be pronounced "DUKE LAW." :duke:
:spork:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 31st, 2013, 9:58 pm

Peoples Porter-Foothills Brewing

Drink local! Really solid brewery in Winston-Salem with a nice selection of session brews and some specialty ales. This was a leftover from an office conference on Monday when I was on call and abstaining from adult beverages. Poured a clean, dark brown with the usual aromas of coffee and chocolate. Hops have a modest presence here with IBU at 42 and there is plenty of toffee sweetness too with an ABV of 6.25%. Let is warm a bit before sipping and all the scents and tastes are even more prominent. Would make a nice combo with a brownie or chocolate chip cookie or three.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 31st, 2013, 10:34 pm

devildeac wrote:Peoples Porter-Foothills Brewing

Drink local! Really solid brewery in Winston-Salem with a nice selection of session brews and some specialty ales. This was a leftover from an office conference on Monday when I was on call and abstaining from adult beverages. Poured a clean, dark brown with the usual aromas of coffee and chocolate. Hops have a modest presence here with IBU at 42 and there is plenty of toffee sweetness too with an ABV of 6.25%. Let is warm a bit before sipping and all the scents and tastes are even more prominent. Would make a nice combo with a brownie or chocolate chip cookie or three.
Wasn't their porter one of the bombers I gave you and CB&B? Didn't we have it at a Brunchgate?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 1st, 2013, 8:34 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:Peoples Porter-Foothills Brewing

Wasn't their porter one of the bombers I gave you and CB&B? Didn't we have it at a Brunchgate?
Just did a search thread and didn't find it reviewed. Damn. Another post I could have duplicated to pad the count :ymblushing: .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 1st, 2013, 8:18 pm

devildeac wrote:Burning River Pale Ale-Great Lakes

Ahh, summer beer time and what a way to start with a classic PA from a classic Ohio brewery. I have not had one of these in about 10 years and had almost forgotten how this exemplifies the style so well with the tastes of caramel for a solid malty backbone and a bit of citrus and a bit of piney hops for the bite. A clear, golden color and 1-2 finger foamy head that is retained well. IBU check in at 45 and the ABV is 6% so it makes a nice session beer and would be fine with burgers, chicken, ribs or fish from the grill. Probably one of the better PAs in the US.
From 5/17/10-only last night's was a draft:

Burning River Pale Ale (draft)-Great Lakes

Ahh, summer beer time and what a way to start with a classic PA from a classic Ohio brewery. I have not had one of these in about 10 years and had almost forgotten how this exemplifies the style so well with the tastes of caramel for a solid malty backbone and a bit of citrus and a bit of piney hops for the bite. A clear, golden color and 1-2 finger foamy head that is retained well. IBU check in at 45 and the ABV is 6% so it makes a nice session beer and would be fine with burgers, chicken, ribs or fish from the grill. Probably one of the better PAs in the US.

Last night's brew was shared with older son-in-law with a grilled chicken/chopped salad. Nice pairing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 1st, 2013, 8:25 pm

Commodore Perry IPA

I'd add this brew to my list of favorite IPAs and not just because it was the 25 cent beer I selected in the middle of our tour. I threw my quarter in the "donations" cup and our guide proceeded to pour the entire 12 ounce bottle into my plastic souvenir Great Lakes Brewing Company cup :D . This one make my list because it has pungent aromas of orange and grapefruit and similar tastes. Poured a clear orange-yellow with a modest, foamy head. The moderate bitterness with an IBU of 80 is very well balanced with toffee and caramel malty flavors and an ABV of 7.5%. Hearty enough to put out the fire from curry or hot Chinese entrees. I thought about having another 25 cent brew on the tasting/tour but wanted to sample a couple draft only brews they had at the brewpub with dinner so I passed on the Doppelrock which I reviewed last week :( .

From 5/6/12 only last night's brew was a draft:

Commodore Perry IPA (draft)-Great Lakes Brewing

I'd add this brew to my list of favorite IPAs and not just because it was the 25 cent beer I selected in the middle of our tour. I threw my quarter in the "donations" cup and our guide proceeded to pour the entire 12 ounce bottle into my plastic souvenir Great Lakes Brewing Company cup . This one make my list because it has pungent aromas of orange and grapefruit and similar tastes. Poured a clear orange-yellow with a modest, foamy head. The moderate bitterness with an IBU of 80 is very well balanced with toffee and caramel malty flavors and an ABV of 7.5%. Hearty enough to put out the fire from curry or hot Chinese entrees.

Last night's brew was shared with older son-in-law with the salad mentioned above. More pungent, smoother and citrus-ier than the bottled variety. Certainly one of the better IPAs I've ever tasted.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 1st, 2013, 8:34 pm

And I thought it was just the name of a brewing company in Chicago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goose_Island_%28Chicago%29

I need to get around the country a bit more :ymblushing: .