Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 24th, 2012, 9:41 pm

(Unser) Aventinus Tap 6-Schneider Weisse Brauerei

Auf Deutschland. The last three beers will be in order consumed from last Saturday and a "winner" declared after the last review.

Dpslaw provided this gem and I insisted he serve it after the Wolfgang as this is an absolute world classic wheat doppelbock. Poured a muddy medium brown with rich aromas of ripe bananas, cloves, a bit of orange and milk chocolate. Generous foamy head with tastes to match the scents. I have not had this in several years and about 5 of us shared a 500 ml bottle. Different than your usual doppelbock due to the wheat malt and a better brew than the Wolfgang I brought. I'd guess IBU about 30 and the ABV was 8.2% and a nice pairing with the pulled pork and all the usual fixings. Just an excellent brew.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 24th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Tripel Overhead (Bourbon Barrel Aged)-Mother Earth Brewing

I have read and heard about this limited edition brew from Kinston and was floored when fuse pulled a corked and caged 750 ml bottle from his refrigerated bag (plastic from Target with a couple scoops of ice) on Saturday night as his opening volley in our tasting. What a fabulous selection and I don't recall whether it was a 2010 or 2011 bottle and don't really care as I had never had one before and it was fabulous. Poured a slightly cloudy orange-brown with hints of orange zest, oak, vanilla and, of course, bourbon. The booziness appears a bit late but this is very smooth and not over-powering. Should be served lightly chilled and in a tulip glass or snifter and could be dessert or accompany a plate of fresh fruits before or after dinner. I think 5-6 of us shared this one and would readily buy one or two if I could find it. An excellent choice and certainly a wonderful way to make new friends.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 28th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Jah-va-Southern Tier

This was the celebratory offering that topped off a very fine afternoon and evening in Devil's Alley last Saturday. August West provided this bomber, too. Black pour with a modest light tan head, it started out with a full nose of darkly roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate scents and the tastes matched perfectly. CathyCA, who doesn't like beer very much, said she'd love to have a candle with this scent. Pass the cream and sugar, please! Well, no sugar really as it was mildly sweet from the deeply roasted malts. Bitterness is moderate, as with most imperial stouts, but is enhanced here by the unsweetened chocolate and coffee tastes. I'd guess 70-80 on the IBU scale. Alcohol wins here at an ABV of 10.6% but the booziness is not overpowering unless you down the whole bottle in one night yourself, which we did not, of course, but divided it about 5 ways. Excellent way to end the evening, especially as it warmed a bit and more of the flavors and aromas were released. Superb by itself or with you usual chocolate desserts. I found it intriguing with a generous slice of 4 layer homemade coconut cake. Kinda like a Imagebar.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 28th, 2012, 5:07 pm

devildeac wrote:Jah-va-Southern Tier

This was the celebratory offering that topped off a very fine afternoon and evening in Devil's Alley last Saturday. August West provided this bomber, too. Black pour with a modest light tan head, it started out with a full nose of darkly roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate scents and the tastes matched perfectly. CathyCA, who doesn't like beer very much, said she'd love to have a candle with this scent. Pass the cream and sugar, please! Well, no sugar really as it was mildly sweet from the deeply roasted malts. Bitterness is moderate, as with most imperial stouts, but is enhanced here by the unsweetened chocolate and coffee tastes. I'd guess 70-80 on the IBU scale. Alcohol wins here at an ABV of 10.6% but the booziness is not overpowering unless you down the whole bottle in one night yourself, which we did not, of course, but divided it about 5 ways. Excellent way to end the evening, especially as it warmed a bit and more of the flavors and aromas were released. Superb by itself or with you usual chocolate desserts. I found it intriguing with a generous slice of 4 layer homemade coconut cake. Kinda like a Imagebar.
CathyCA likes grocery store beer. But I would like this scent in a candle.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2012, 10:40 pm

Unearthly (oak aged)-Southern Tier

I almost forgot about this bomber from August West in the delirium and celebration after the Duke-unc game last Saturday. They took Unearthly(*), their DIPA which was already quite savory, and aged it in oak barrels. What a smoooooth combination! The aging mellows out the roughness of the hops with vanilla and woody (d'oh) overtones and changes the profile of this ale dramatically, Granted, it has probably been a year or two since sampling the "plain" brew but this was simply excellent. Pour was orange-copper with a foamy head. Generous amounts of the two malts provide balance and an ABV of 9.6% to counteract the four hops and an estimated IBU of 90, if not more. Served as a 4-5 ounce portion, this was pleasant to have after our early evening feast and would pair well with hot/spicy dishes, too, or for dessert in a snifter served at 55-60 degrees. I'll call it a tie for second place between this and our post-bell recovery dessert beer which will be up next...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Dark Truth-Boulevard Brewing

Damson plum slices dipped in melted Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate morsels. Luscious. This is another one of their Smokestack series brews and a fine, fine beverage. Poured an opaque almost black with a slight reddish tinge. Small light tan head and nuances of coffee and black molasses, too. Fairly standard bitterness for an imperial stout, guessing about 50-60 and the ABV was a generous 9.7% so this was a beer to be sipped at almost room temps from a snifter. Dessert in a glass or with a slice of filled double chocolate cupcakes (or cookies). This was a 12 ounce bottle from a $10 four pack, so one for me, one for my son, one to trade and one to age :D .

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 31st, 2012, 10:48 pm

Tank 7-Boulevard Brewing

Their story first:

Most breweries have at least one piece of equipment that’s just a bit persnickity. Here at Boulevard we have fermenter number seven, the black sheep of our cellar family. Ironically, when our brewers were experimenting with variations on a traditional Belgian-style farmhouse ale, the perfect combination of elements came together in that very vessel. You could call it fate, but they called it Tank 7, and so it is. Beginning with a big surge of fruity aromatics and grapefruit-hoppy notes, the flavor of this complex, straw-colored ale tapers off to a peppery, dry finish.

My story:

We/I beg to differ. It's labeled as a farmhouse ale but seems more of hybrid between a Belgian IPA and a farmhouse ale. Color and low bitterness with an IBU of 38 makes me think farmhouse but the grapefruitiness with hints of papaya and mango with a bit of Belgian yeast funk and pepper accompanied by an ABV of 8% makes me think IPA. Not sure whether I'd serve this with a fruity salsa and chicken or fish or with a hot/spicy dish like a curry or General Tso's chicken. Either way, I did enjoy this 12 ounce single from a $10 four pack. One for me, one for...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 2nd, 2012, 11:12 pm

Fifteen-Weyerbacher Brewing

I saw four packs of these on the front display tables at Total Wine last week and there was a sign for $3.99 and I decided to pass as that computes to $16 for the 4 pack. I like this beer a lot and think it will age well but that's spendy as I think I shelled out about $12-13 for my purchase early this year. As I checked out, the clerk asked if I had seen the "specials" and I told her I thought the single price of $4 was too high but she told me it was the entire four pack, not a single. So she stopped ringing up my order as I hurried over to the table to procure two of the four packs. So, now I have eight to trade or cellar for another year or three. Made my enjoyment of this weeks brew even sweeter.

So, after about 10 months more aging, I found Fifteen to be a bit richer and smoother than first tasting during the winter of 2011-12. Perhaps a tad more smokiness and coffee-like aromas and tastes but not significantly different than the above review. Very good brew at $3-3.50 each. Outstanding brew/bargain at $1 each.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 3rd, 2012, 10:13 am

Imperial Pumpkin Ale-Weyerbacher Brewing

From the brewer: "It is heartier, spicier, and more “caramelly” and “pumpkiny” than its faint brethren!" Apt description. This is what sets it apart from the cornucopia of other pumpkin brews on the market. I can understand why all the spices added could dissuade one from drinking this brew, but that's why the "imperial" title. More malt for a richer, smoother beverage. Poured a slightly cloudy pumpkin color (d'oh!) with a modest head. The aromas of your family's leftover pumpkin pie during the fall/winter holidays tempt your olfactory lobes and tantalize your taste buds. Low on the IBU, guessing about 30 and high on the ABV at 8%, this would be a nice liquid dessert or accompany your slice of pie on a cool autumn evening. Heck, skip the whipped cream on your pie and serve it on top of your beer!

Love the label!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 7th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Monster Ale (2011 bottling)-Brooklyn Brewing

This is a barleywine that is quite smooth and syrup-y when first released and continues to improve with age. Copper colored with a small tan head, the slightly piney three American hops are almost overwhelmed by the massive amount of English specialty malts with a surprise guest, wheat malt. Notes of sherry and syrup are present so this would make a fine dessert beer served slightly warmed in a snifter. I'd guess the IBU about 60-70 and the ABV is 10.3% so this is a sip at bedtime brew. Definitely worth the purchase of an $8 four pack so you can sip one now, trade one and stash a couple others away for a year or three.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 9th, 2012, 10:57 pm

Black (draft)-Allagash Brewing

Stout week. Or maybe stout month. Or stout season. Not sure I've ever tried this before but sipped a 12 ounce draft this week with some carnitas at Yard Works, a new 140 tap restaurant in Raleigh, to celebrate a daughter's birthday. Technically, it's a Belgian style stout. Think Art of Darkness here. Brewed with some wheat malt and oats in addition to the usual black and chocolate malts but no flavorings AFAIK. A bit of funk/sourness from the Belgian yeast/s but blends nicely with the smoothness of the oats, the slight citrus tastes of the wheat and some espresso and chocolate notes, too. I'd guess IBU around 50 and the ABV is 7.5% so a bit "light" for an imperial stout. They also use dark caramelized candi sugar which imparts a bit of sweetness to the palate, too. Also released as a corked and caged 750 ml bottle, which I think goes for under $10. This was $4 and may have been $6 for a full pint so not a bad price.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 10th, 2012, 10:56 pm

Punk'n-Uinta Brewing

Yes, another entry in the spice/herb/vegetable beer category and a good quality one, too. Pour was your standard orange with the requisite aromas and tastes of pumpkin and spices. Pass the whipped cream! Very low IBU at 10 and ABV of 4% make this a very sessionable brew or a nice ale to enjoy with your Thanksgiving feast in less than two weeks. I would still prefer Punkin by Dogfish Head, Pumpking by Southern Tier or the Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Weyerbacher over this but this was better than the Shock Top. As a matter of fact, I stumbled upon a four pack of the Weyerbacher product last week and will sip one of those tomorrow night.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 14th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Narwhal-Sierra Nevada Brewing

A shot of whiskey in a dark chocolate malted with a splash of espresso. Quite a brew. I have never seen this before but I think bluebeer, err, bluebear mentioned this several days ago and I found this in Harris Teeter tonight of all places as I assembled a 6er trader for tomorrow. Poured a thick, oily pitch black with a small, tan head. Nose is all chocolate and coffee and the tastes the same with a mild bite from the IBU of 60. This imperial stout packs a wallop at 10.2% ABV and the booziness is not hidden at all. It was $9.50 for the four pack and reasonably priced as I'll have one now, one in the spring, trade/gift one and keep another until next winter. I'd even consider another four pack to age for 2-4 years along with the Black Chocolate Stout collection I've assembled.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 14th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Hell's Belle-Big Boss Brewing (Raleigh, NC)

Had a conference at the office last PM and this was one of the beverage choices. Tasty. Poured a golden yellow with a mild fizzy head. Aromas were fresh flowers and tastes were crisp apples and pears with a tiny bit of pepper from the Belgian yeast. It has enough fruity tastes to match with a plate of light fruits and cheeses before dinner but enough ABV at 7% and body to pair with curry or spicy Chinese fare. Low IBU at about 30 so very drinkable and a bit deceiving with a higher ABV than expected for a Belgian blond ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 14th, 2012, 10:08 pm

From January 21, 2010:

Hopsecutioner-Terrapin Brewing-cannabis with a few spruce twigs mixed in . This is a new brew to me and hadn't noticed it on their site before. It is an IPA that pours a slightly golden-yellow with a small head with an estimated IBU of about 70 and the ABV is 7.3% so I'd call it fairly well-balanced with the malts. Not a tongue-torcher but with enough zip to pair nicely with some mildly spicy dishes.

From a conference in my office last PM:

I thought this brew was a bit different second time around but this 12 ounce bottle was not aged. Pineapple and apricot flavors were somewhat prominent and this was a bit sweeter than I remembered and was almost oily and syrupy. We need to have meetings like this more often at the workplace. After hours, of course.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 15th, 2012, 11:10 am

devildeac wrote:Narwhal-Sierra Nevada Brewing

A shot of whiskey in a dark chocolate malted with a splash of espresso. Quite a brew. I have never seen this before but I think bluebeer, err, bluebear mentioned this several days ago and I found this in Harris Teeter tonight of all places as I assembled a 6er trader for tomorrow. Poured a thick, oily pitch black with a small, tan head. Nose is all chocolate and coffee and the tastes the same with a mild bite from the IBU of 60. This imperial stout packs a wallop at 10.2% ABV and the booziness is not hidden at all. It was $9.50 for the four pack and reasonably priced as I'll have one now, one in the spring, trade/gift one and keep another until next winter. I'd even consider another four pack to age for 2-4 years along with the Black Chocolate Stout collection I've assembled.
I picked up a four pack last week at our local craft shop and enjoyed one during the Kentucky game. Very tasty. Both the beer and the win.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 16th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Celebration (Fresh Hop) Ale-Sierra Nevada

I do believe they have toned this one down since the last time I had it several years ago. Two malts (two row pale and English caramel) and three hops (Cascade, Centennial and Chinook) make this winter IPA a fairly balanced brew with mild sweetness and piney and citrus notes. This always made me think of Hop Devil which I also stopped buying years ago due to the over-powering hop attack on the palate. I found this quite enjoyable and smooth. It would make a nice match with hot/spicy dishes. Pour was a yellow-golden with a generous foamy head. IBU is listed at 65 and the ABV is 6.8%, both pretty standard for an IPA. Definitely worth a trader or a 6er to share.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 16th, 2012, 11:04 pm

Maximus-Lagunitas Brewing

Pineapple, grapefruit and mango flavors and aromas and tastes to match. Poured a clear light orange-yellow with a generous head. This IPA was quite easy to drink with huge amounts of caramel malt sweetness to win out over a modest IBU. To be precise, the ABV is a bit high for a standard IPA at 8.2% and the IBU a bit low at 59. So, not quite a DIPA but a brew that would pair nicely with BBQ items or curry or hot/spicy Chinese fare. I actually bought a 6er of this myself and will keep a couple to share over the holidays, trade one or two and then finish the collection over the next couple months.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 21st, 2012, 7:50 pm

Hoppyum (draft)-Foothills Brewing

If you like hops, you will love this brew. Loaded with pungent citrusy hops, mostly with grapefruit and grapefruit zest aromas and tastes from the Simcoe variety. Poured a clean, clear orange-yellow in a pint glass and sipped with shrimp and grits with tomatoes, 'shrooms and a bit of spice for dinner Saturday night. Just about perfect blend of slightly sweet caramel malts with an ABV of 6.2% to balance the IBU of 70, both fairly standard for an IPA. I'll still take a Bell's Two Hearted Ale on draft but if you are in NC, this is an excellent offering.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 21st, 2012, 8:02 pm

Winterbraun-Lost Coast Brewing

I suspect this is their Downtown brown ale with a bit more malt and Saaz hops that they brew for the fall/winter seasons. Poured a clear brown with a nose of milk chocolate and dark caramel with a splash of decaf. Tastes align well with the aromas. Texture and head were creamy, bitterness was mild and ABV was a bit hefty at 8%. Serve with chili, brisket, ribs or lighter chocolate desserts.