LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by lawgrad91 » October 4th, 2013, 12:10 pm

http://www.thelocal.se/50584/20131003/

I could never have this luck. If something really heavy were to fall on me, I'm sure it wouldn't be bacon. :Pirate: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 4th, 2013, 6:44 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Just got an email from MacGyver. The deal with the instrument company has fallen through. No new instruments for us. :(

Part of me believes this is karma's way of saying that underhanded was not the way to go. As windsor is fond of saying, her aim is swift but true. I never liked going behind everyone's back to do this and was seriously worried about repercussions. It's not going to happen now, so no need to worry.

:9f:
Sorry it fell through. Do you know why? Did the boss have any backhanded input?
I don't think The Boss had anything at all to do with it. I believe it was the bean-counters at the company. As it turns out, one of our campus core labs has a request in to the Provost's office for funding to purchase the exact instrument we were trying to get. The question MacGyver got from our "friend" at the instrument company was, "Why should we give an instrument to you when we're selling one to Investigator X?" Once I heard (a month or so ago) that this particular colleague had put in a request for funding to purchase the instrument, I had a sneaking suspicion that it would hurt our chances. MacGyver and Road Runner thought it would help, but I smelled political trouble of the nature spelled out in the question from our "friend" at the instrument company.

MacGyver thinks Investigator X found out about our request and blew a gasket, torpedoing our proposal with the instrument company as a result. I'm not so sure that's the case. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 4th, 2013, 7:39 pm

At least you came out clean and not at fault! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 4th, 2013, 8:55 pm

AD - I agree with the why give when we can sell line. If the other investigator found out about the possible free machine, I would think he would try to get in on it rather than try to sabotage it.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 5th, 2013, 8:42 am

DukieInKansas wrote:AD - I agree with the why give when we can sell line. If the other investigator found out about the possible free machine, I would think he would try to get in on it rather than try to sabotage it.
That sounds more correct to me, too. With that being said, wonder if the other investigator found out and demanded to be in on the deal. I could certainly see them throwing us under the bus in order to make a sale. Now, what would REALLY be funny is if the Provost denies the other investigator's request for money to purchase the instrument. As it turns out, they asked for money for 2 instruments. They barely have demand for one.

There IS an instrument that is a competitor to the one we really wanted to get. It can do some of the same things, but not as fast. It's the instrument that Wile E. Coyote has. Of course, he's not doing any of the novel scan types. He's doing the plain old vanilla analysis, and not very well. Recall that my friend that works for the company had to come in and fix all of his methods because they were so messed up.

The Boss told someone this week that I have access to any and all instruments in the department (which is BS). I wonder what would happen if I requested access to Wile E. Coyote's instrument in order to do some method development... :-? Seriously, heads would explode of I used his instrument to run some samples and then immediately published in a fairly high quality journal. That could be 100 kinds of fun. :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 5th, 2013, 11:54 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:AD - I agree with the why give when we can sell line. If the other investigator found out about the possible free machine, I would think he would try to get in on it rather than try to sabotage it.
That sounds more correct to me, too. With that being said, wonder if the other investigator found out and demanded to be in on the deal. I could certainly see them throwing us under the bus in order to make a sale. Now, what would REALLY be funny is if the Provost denies the other investigator's request for money to purchase the instrument. As it turns out, they asked for money for 2 instruments. They barely have demand for one.

There IS an instrument that is a competitor to the one we really wanted to get. It can do some of the same things, but not as fast. It's the instrument that Wile E. Coyote has. Of course, he's not doing any of the novel scan types. He's doing the plain old vanilla analysis, and not very well. Recall that my friend that works for the company had to come in and fix all of his methods because they were so messed up.

The Boss told someone this week that I have access to any and all instruments in the department (which is BS). I wonder what would happen if I requested access to Wile E. Coyote's instrument in order to do some method development... :-? Seriously, heads would explode of I used his instrument to run some samples and then immediately published in a fairly high quality journal. That could be 100 kinds of fun. :ymdevil:

Karma is not always swift, but her aim is true - again :) Definitely could have gotten ugly with someone buying what you are trying to get for free. If nothing else your co-conspirators learned you can be trusted and you learned that you don't have much stomach for cloak and dagger stuff! Shit happens for a reason. Just for giggles, I would try to get access to Wile E Coytoe's instrument. Just to f. with him, because well - I am like that.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 5th, 2013, 12:01 pm

GTHC GTH GTHC GTH :9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 5th, 2013, 2:56 pm

I am bored. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 5th, 2013, 3:32 pm

And f$u bids a fond farewell to the terps with a 63-0 dismantling, setting an ACC FB record for largest margin of victory.

=)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 5th, 2013, 3:56 pm

devildeac wrote:And f$u bids a fond farewell to the terps with a 63-0 dismantling, setting an ACC FB record for largest margin of victory.

=)) =))
F$U should have played Georgia State. At least they scored against the #1 team in the nation, and only gave up like 45.

(Hahahaha. Ball St 48-hooveeaaay 27.) :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 5th, 2013, 7:45 pm

I'm watching Arkansas at Florida right now. Hogs just went up 7-0, and the announcers still can't stop talking about how wonderful Florida is. Yep - very much like watching Duke football. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 5th, 2013, 7:48 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:http://www.thelocal.se/50584/20131003/

I could never have this luck. If something really heavy were to fall on me, I'm sure it wouldn't be bacon. :Pirate: :9f:
Disturbing and hilarious, all at the same time. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 5th, 2013, 8:35 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm watching Arkansas at Florida right now. Hogs just went up 7-0, and the announcers still can't stop talking about how wonderful Florida is. Yep - very much like watching Duke football. :9f:

Let me count the ways I HATE the Gators, and their fans........9,645,742 9,645,743....9,645,744...
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 5th, 2013, 8:45 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm watching Arkansas at Florida right now. Hogs just went up 7-0, and the announcers still can't stop talking about how wonderful Florida is. Yep - very much like watching Duke football. :9f:
X( X( :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 6th, 2013, 4:52 pm

My next round of lectures in the course I'm teaching with Road Runner and MacGyver starts this week. Road Runner is up first; I follow. The very last lecture in the course (if I remember correctly) is Wile E. Coyote. Road Runner and I are laying the groundwork for the students to rip into Wile E. Coyote (at least, we hope so). You may recall me mentioning several times that he does things that are just flat-out wrong (or not scientifically valid). The topics that we cover for the next couple of weeks lead into Wile E. Coyote's lecture, so we are going to very subtly feed them information to help them recognize the many flaws in Wile E. Coyote's work. I'm not sure if they'll openly rip him during his lecture, but written evisceration during the course evaluations will work, too.

I started a bit of background research on Wile E. Coyote this weekend. It's amazing what one can come up with in a simple Google search. The crown jewel discovery of the weekend was a statement made about Wile E. Coyote by someone he claims as a mentor. In his biosketch on our website, he claims that he learned how to do his current work in the lab of a fairly prominent person in the field. As it turns out, he's stretching things a little bit. He got his PhD at a nearby lower tier school and did his work in this prominent person's lab due to lack of instrumentation at the place where he actually got his PhD. As luck would have it, I found an article about the career of said prominent person, and there's a mention of Wile E. Coyote. According to the article, the prominent scientist basically realized Wile E. Coyote was around but didn't pay any attention to him until he started writing his thesis. He then proceeded to question Wile E. Coyote about the way he did his work and the conclusions he drew from his work. The article then goes on to say that the prominent guy published a few more papers in the same field but using different methodology. My read of the article is that, like my colleagues and I, the prominent guy realized that Wile E. Coyote's work and basic scientific reasoning are as full of holes as a block of Swiss cheese. This is the guy that Wile E. Coyote is claiming as his mentor. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 7th, 2013, 10:20 am

Do we have a thread for restaurant reviews?

I know we have one for beer and another one for wine.

Is there a restaurant review thread that we need to resurrect, or should we start a brand new one?

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 7th, 2013, 11:11 am

Stuck in court waiting for a case to finish. The nutso defendant struck his mama over the head with Jesus. Well, a Jesus figurine. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 7th, 2013, 11:22 am

CathyCA wrote:Do we have a thread for restaurant reviews?

I know we have one for beer and another one for wine.

Is there a restaurant review thread that we need to resurrect, or should we start a brand new one?

There is not one.
I love Golden Corral. I love any place with a buffet.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
chipslate
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by chipslate » October 7th, 2013, 6:46 pm

LG: The power of Christ compelled him!

That sounds like another chapter in our book!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 7th, 2013, 8:05 pm

chipslate wrote:LG: The power of Christ compelled him!

That sounds like another chapter in our book!

Okay, spill!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith