The Job Search Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: The Job Search Thread

Post by captmojo » November 23rd, 2011, 8:12 pm

Don't forget to rock her back. :character-beavisbutthead:

:9f:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 24th, 2011, 12:31 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Proving yet again that connections matter, I recieved a call today from the person at UT-Southwestern at Dallas. He mentioned specifically that my friend had told him about me. He wants to talk with me about the job and about my expectations. I called back and left a message; we'll be talking next week.

All of my promising job leads have been due to the efforts of this particular friend. She rocks! :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 24th, 2011, 8:31 am

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Very cool...connections always help.
Vibing for a new gig soonest!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 24th, 2011, 7:16 pm

It's been clear from the outset on this thread that you value your professional reputation and take care to protect it. That's what got you to this point and that's what is paying off now. So proud to know ya and we're still vibing. Thanks for keeping all of us who care in the loop!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 24th, 2011, 8:38 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Proving yet again that connections matter, I recieved a call today from the person at UT-Southwestern at Dallas. He mentioned specifically that my friend had told him about me. He wants to talk with me about the job and about my expectations. I called back and left a message; we'll be talking next week.

All of my promising job leads have been due to the efforts of this particular friend. She rocks! :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
You are going to get an offer much sooner then later. I feel it!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 28th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Just got off the phone with the guy at UT Southwestern. He didn't contact me sooner because the top salary he can offer is about $20K less than I'm making right now.

With that being said, it does sound like an interesting job with more of an emphasis on things I like to do. We left things with a plan to contact him once I've interviewed at UTMB-Galveston. I got the hard sell on why UTSW is better than UTMB (higher ranking, etc.). We shall see. I've never been a huge fan of Dallas, but I know very little about Galveston. I'll know more in a week!

I also got an e-mail today from a head hunter, asking about my interest in a job in SoCal.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » November 28th, 2011, 7:19 pm

you GO, girl!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 28th, 2011, 8:48 pm

For
ArkieDukie wrote:Just got off the phone with the guy at UT Southwestern. He didn't contact me sooner because the top salary he can offer is about $20K less than I'm making right now.

With that being said, it does sound like an interesting job with more of an emphasis on things I like to do. We left things with a plan to contact him once I've interviewed at UTMB-Galveston. I got the hard sell on why UTSW is better than UTMB (higher ranking, etc.). We shall see. I've never been a huge fan of Dallas, but I know very little about Galveston. I'll know more in a week!

I also got an e-mail today from a head hunter, asking about my interest in a job in SoCal.
20k is a lot. What is the cost of living differential? Is there anything else they can do in the perk department to/sweeten the pot...what is the potential for more money soon...and what is your sanity and job happiness worth?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 28th, 2011, 9:31 pm

windsor wrote:20k is a lot. What is the cost of living differential? Is there anything else they can do in the perk department to/sweeten the pot...what is the potential for more money soon...and what is your sanity and job happiness worth?
What is your health worth?

Can they adjust the promotion schedule?
Can they do personal development (e.g., conference fees/travel/lodging), relo (NOT likely), etc...
Benefits?
Of course, the other thing to consider is how much longer PHB will keep you. A job at 20K lower may be better than unemployment. Of course, that depends on PHB, and your assessment of his moves over the next year.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 29th, 2011, 12:59 pm

Lavabe wrote:
windsor wrote:20k is a lot. What is the cost of living differential? Is there anything else they can do in the perk department to/sweeten the pot...what is the potential for more money soon...and what is your sanity and job happiness worth?
What is your health worth?

Can they adjust the promotion schedule?
Can they do personal development (e.g., conference fees/travel/lodging), relo (NOT likely), etc...
Benefits?
Of course, the other thing to consider is how much longer PHB will keep you. A job at 20K lower may be better than unemployment. Of course, that depends on PHB, and your assessment of his moves over the next year.
We did discuss ways to upgrade the position in order to increase the salary. Remember that, as with most positions at state institutions, the salary that is tied with the position is determined by the job title. The position could be upgraded to a research assistant professor position; that would put me in my current salary range. That type of change takes time, and it's very likely going to be an issue at UTMB-Galveston as well. I have not discussed this issue with the UTMB-Galveston people yet.

One other point: the guy at UTMB-Galveston is a full professor; the guy at UTSW-Dallas is an assitant professor. The full professor has more political clout to upgrade the position than the assistant professor does.

I'm thinking very seriously about contacting the guy at UTSW to continue discussion regarding the job. We left it with a plan to contact him after the interview at UTMB, but it might be better to get the wheels in motion. Besides, I'd really like to have the comparison/contrast that another interview would provide. It sounds as though the two positions are very similar, so it would be a matter of comparing the two institutions. With that being said, the whole untenured boss thing at UTSW makes me a bit nervous.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 4th, 2011, 8:32 am

I leave tomorrow for the interview at UTMB-Galveston. I finished my seminar late yesterday afternoon and will do some polishing today. My iPad is packed full of .pdfs to read for background info. Now I nust need to pack the suitcase, do lots of reading, and pray that the weather holds out. Depending on where you look, we're either in line for snow or rain. Hope it's the latter.

Vibes, please!
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 4th, 2011, 8:54 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I leave tomorrow for the interview at UTMB-Galveston. I finished my seminar late yesterday afternoon and will do some polishing today. My iPad is packed full of .pdfs to read for background info. Now I nust need to pack the suitcase, do lots of reading, and pray that the weather holds out. Depending on where you look, we're either in line for snow or rain. Hope it's the latter.

Vibes, please!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Best of luck, AD! I know you will knock them dead!
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 4th, 2011, 9:17 am

Good luck AD! You'll do great! Vibes and weather vibes too }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]]
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 4th, 2011, 9:21 am

Good luck!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » December 4th, 2011, 10:50 am

Good luck to you!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 4th, 2011, 10:51 am

Vibes requested...Vibes issued!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
:auto-driving:
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 4th, 2011, 11:22 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I leave tomorrow for the interview at UTMB-Galveston. I finished my seminar late yesterday afternoon and will do some polishing today. My iPad is packed full of .pdfs to read for background info. Now I nust need to pack the suitcase, do lots of reading, and pray that the weather holds out. Depending on where you look, we're either in line for snow or rain. Hope it's the latter.

Vibes, please!
Vibes, vibes, and more vibes for safe travels and great results.
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » December 4th, 2011, 11:59 am

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Mega Interview Vibes...don't forget to channel you inner Windsor :-BD

In your mind pretend YOU are interviewing THEM to see if you want to work with them. First of all, because in a way you are, and second it gives the air of confidence and tends to knock down the interview jitters. (although I will admit to being a sick-o who loves job interviews...they're fun)
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 4th, 2011, 3:23 pm

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: Good luck AD. I know you will do well.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » December 4th, 2011, 6:13 pm

windsor wrote::wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Mega Interview Vibes...don't forget to channel you inner Windsor :-BD

In your mind pretend YOU are interviewing THEM to see if you want to work with them. First of all, because in a way you are, and second it gives the air of confidence and tends to knock down the interview jitters. (although I will admit to being a sick-o who loves job interviews...they're fun)
Vibing for you, Arkie!! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I agree with windsor on this. The last two interviews I had, I just took the approach that I was interviewing them. And above all, it was a lot of fun.

So have fun with the interview!! :-BD :-BD
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.