LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 24th, 2013, 12:31 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Please send vibes for one of my former students and her family. She was walking home last Saturday and was run over by a freight train. She lost her left foot above the ankle. Fortunately she's on the mend, but it could've been much worse. Her husband said on FB that the accident was under investigation due to suspicious circumstances but didn't say any more. :9f: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray:
That is terrible. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 24th, 2013, 1:10 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Please send vibes for one of my former students and her family. She was walking home last Saturday and was run over by a freight train. She lost her left foot above the ankle. Fortunately she's on the mend, but it could've been much worse. Her husband said on FB that the accident was under investigation due to suspicious circumstances but didn't say any more. :9f: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray:

Prayers and vibes to all involved and extra healing vibes to her.
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 24th, 2013, 3:54 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:

Prayers and vibes to all involved and extra healing vibes to her.
How sad. Prayers and vibes from here as well.
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 24th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Giant vibes & prayers to this lady & her family! That is a nasty for sure! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » August 25th, 2013, 7:26 am

Also sending vibes and prayers!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 25th, 2013, 7:06 pm

I am on my phone at the moment, so I can't attribute it, but I saw on Twitter that Thad Lewis is being traded to the Bills. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 25th, 2013, 9:52 pm

:ymhug: :wizard: :YMPRAY:
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 26th, 2013, 8:33 pm

I think I went overboard on the red wine tonight. :dizzy: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 27th, 2013, 7:37 am

lawgrad91 wrote:I think I went overboard on the red wine tonight. :dizzy: :9f:
There is no 'overboard' on red wine.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 27th, 2013, 9:35 am

windsor wrote:
There is no 'overboard' on red wine.
Good point, Windsor. :D
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » August 27th, 2013, 11:36 am

At our house we call that "over-served" putting the blame squarely on the shoulders of some unknown entity! :ymdevil:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Holy smokes, this is odd:

In total there are 20 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2013, 6:48 pm

A minute later and even stranger:

In total there are 25 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2013, 6:51 pm

If we can get 22 more guests to join in, we can set a CTN record:

In total there are 25 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 46 on February 8th, 2012, 11:21 pm

:D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 28th, 2013, 10:42 pm

As the Bunsen Burns

Road Runner has been out of town for the past 2 weeks. Before leaving, she instructed Bar Minon to work with myself and Brilliant Graduate Student to develop an instrument method. Bar Minion included me in the first meeting but not BGS. I felt the need for a drink after the meeting. Bar Minon wouldn't listen to me at all and disagreed with everything I said. I was not included in any subsequent work. Strike one.

During this meeting I did attend, we discovered that a particular setting had been changed inadvertently. In response, Bar Minion made the instrument tune file "read-only." She was advised by MacGyver to talk with me before doing this; she did not do so. MacGyver also told her that she probably shouldn't make this change; she did it anyway. We were all informed in an email, and she did not copy Road Runner (her boss) on this message. Strike two.

Fast forward to today, Road Runner's first day back after a 2-week absence. Road Runner stopped by my office, and I told her of Bar Minion's failure to include others as instructed. I said that, given this particular experience, we cannot include Bar Minion in method development on the new instruments (assuming we get them). She agreed that we cannot afford to let Bar Minion anywhere near the new instruments. I mentioned something about Bar Minion having issues operating "her" current instrument, and Road Runner mentioned that the instrument wasn't working correctly and the service engineer was coming. I correctly guessed what was wrong. As it turns out, the file that Bar Minion made "read-only" is the one that the instrument software changes automatically when you tune the instrument. Idiot couldn't get the instrument to tune, so she called the service engineer - not realizing that she created the problem herself. #-o Now, here's where it gets fun. Since Bar Minion had not informed her boss of what she had done (or even bothered to get permission to make the change), I got to be the one to tell Road Runner why Bar Minon couldn't tune the instrument. Needless to say, she was not amused. (As an aside, I had already told MacGyver that Bar Minion would have exactly the problem she had.)

Road Runner has a new postdoc in her lab (mental note: must come up with a name for her). Her area of expertise is somewhat similar to mine, and she's extremely bright. More bright, in fact, than Bar Minion - and not by just a little bit. She's great, and we work well together. I've been saying for months now, pretty much since her arrival, that it would only be a matter of time until she clashes with Bar Minion. Her tolerance for idiots is somewhat similar to mine, but her filter is pretty much nonexistent. I believe she will squash Bar Minion like a bug. Brilliant Grad Student told me today that she's sensing an imminent clash. Apparently Bar Minion is doing the same thing to the postdoc that she does to BGS: Bar Minion asks how to do something, does the exact opposite of what she's told, and then blames the other person (to Road Runner) when it doesn't work correctly.

I really need to keep a supply of microwave popcorn in my office.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 29th, 2013, 6:06 am

I need to see an organizational flow chart. Love reading about these folks but I can't remember who's who! :tease:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 29th, 2013, 10:39 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I need to see an organizational flow chart. Love reading about these folks but I can't remember who's who! :tease:
Senior moment? ;)
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 29th, 2013, 1:25 pm

Miley Cyrus performance at the VMA awards :-o :-o :Boo:

She made all her millions as the Disney star, Hannah Montana.

Bless her heart for being so stupid on stage, Sunday evening!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 30th, 2013, 10:28 am

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 30th, 2013, 11:16 am

That's just wrong. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein