LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

shereec
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by shereec » July 31st, 2013, 5:50 am

Here's hoping you have a front row seat, AD!!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 31st, 2013, 6:25 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Today's installment of "As the Bunsen Burns"

MacGyver, BarMinion, and Brilliant Graduate Student were doing some routine maintenance on one of the instruments, when who should happen into the room but Wile E. Coyote. He immediately wandered over to see what they were doing and started telling all he knew about what they were doing and how they should be doing it. No big surprise: he had no clue. As an added bonus, he told MacGyver, "You shouldn't be taking that apart. I would NEVER do what you're doing. I would call the service engineer." (Now, keep in mind this is routine maintenance that you're expected to do. Dumbass.) MacGyver's response to Wile E. Coyote was, "Well, I'm not you." =)) =)) =))

Someday very, very soon, MacGyver is going to kick Wile E. Coyote's butt up between his shoulder blades. I so want to be there to see it. :ymdevil:
:)) :)) I don't see how your boss is so clueless. He's got to be on the same level as WEC, or close too it.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2013, 12:08 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I feel like such an insider! I bought 80 shares of Facebook at $38.03/share this afternoon! B-) I "like" that! :happy-bouncyblue: :D
And today after more than a year, you have finally recouped your investment: http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_ ... urce=email

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 31st, 2013, 12:12 pm

CathyCA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I feel like such an insider! I bought 80 shares of Facebook at $38.03/share this afternoon! B-) I "like" that! :happy-bouncyblue: :D
And today after more than a year, you have finally recouped your investment: http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_ ... urce=email

Yes, I still have my 80 shares and I'm glad I held onto it. As I type it's $37.40, down 23 cents today. But it's headed in the right direction - UP! Although I really wish I had the 100 shares of Apple that I sold at $120 5 years ago or the shares of AMZN that I sold at a loss ~$190 (to buy FB) that today is over $300. B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2013, 1:39 pm

I got a 60 inch flat screen TV this week. I also got a BlueRay player and a surround sound system.

I feel like I have re-joined the 21st century. I had the flat screen TV and surround sound system before my divorce. I've never had a BlueRay player before. This is fun.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2013, 2:03 pm

CathyCA wrote:I got a 60 inch flat screen TV this week. I also got a BlueRay player and a surround sound system.

I feel like I have re-joined the 21st century. I had the flat screen TV and surround sound system before my divorce. I've never had a BlueRay player before. This is fun.

Oooh, Duke games so big and loud you will feel like a Crazie! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 31st, 2013, 2:24 pm

CathyCA wrote:I got a 60 inch flat screen TV this week. I also got a BlueRay player and a surround sound system.

Good for you!!!! I'm excited for you!!!!! :ymhug:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 31st, 2013, 4:23 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:Our grandson, Kyle, as many of you know, has a prosthetic leg. His insurance will not pay for a new one for over 2 years. He works part time teaching gymnastics, that's where it happened, jumping on a trampoline. He is in the process of filling worksmans comp. One paragraph said wc would pick up AFTER his insurance. I don't believe that's the way wc works. It also states, it will be their option to decide what is eligible. We don't see how he could sign this. He knows he might have to go to an wc attorney but doesn't want too at this point. Kyle is going back to school this fall and is very frugal. Any advice?

I work in the IT side of healthcare...no WC should pay first. PM me more info (what state?) who is hte comp carrier...etc etfc and I will ask the experts I work with. WC should pay FIRST not second
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 31st, 2013, 4:24 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:Our grandson, Kyle, as many of you know, has a prosthetic leg. His insurance will not pay for a new one for over 2 years. He works part time teaching gymnastics, that's where it happened, jumping on a trampoline. He is in the process of filling worksmans comp. One paragraph said wc would pick up AFTER his insurance. I don't believe that's the way wc works. It also states, it will be their option to decide what is eligible. We don't see how he could sign this. He knows he might have to go to an wc attorney but doesn't want too at this point. Kyle is going back to school this fall and is very frugal. Any advice?
As it turns out, the boss thought he had wc but does not. Hopefully, his liability insurance will cover. :(

Comp is not, in most states OPTIONAL.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 31st, 2013, 5:24 pm

Does Native or Rolvix do Duke Tours for the admissions Office? I thought one of the two did tours, but I may be mistaken.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 31st, 2013, 7:19 pm

Congrats! Enjoy your new purchases. :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 31st, 2013, 8:30 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Today's installment of "As the Bunsen Burns"

MacGyver, BarMinion, and Brilliant Graduate Student were doing some routine maintenance on one of the instruments, when who should happen into the room but Wile E. Coyote. He immediately wandered over to see what they were doing and started telling all he knew about what they were doing and how they should be doing it. No big surprise: he had no clue. As an added bonus, he told MacGyver, "You shouldn't be taking that apart. I would NEVER do what you're doing. I would call the service engineer." (Now, keep in mind this is routine maintenance that you're expected to do. Dumbass.) MacGyver's response to Wile E. Coyote was, "Well, I'm not you." =)) =)) =))

Someday very, very soon, MacGyver is going to kick Wile E. Coyote's butt up between his shoulder blades. I so want to be there to see it. :ymdevil:
:)) :)) I don't see how your boss is so clueless. He's got to be on the same level as WEC, or close too it.
I never thought The Boss was clueless, until WEC arrived. Now, I'm not so sure. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 31st, 2013, 8:44 pm

I had quite the day today. Found out first thing this morning that my manuscript with Road Runner and BarMinion (the one where Road Runner and I did the work and I share first authorship with BarMinion) was accepted for publication. It went live this afternoon on the journal's website. Then, Road Runner and I got our big manuscript uploaded. Now the review process begins. I also found out that I'm going to be giving a talk at a mini-symposium that we're going to be hosting in October.

Got my evaluation from The Boss today. Straight "meets expectations". That is the middle-of-the-road mark. It's like making all C's. Annoying but not surprising, really, since Wile E. Coyote has convinced The Boss that I don't know what I'm doing. (MacGyver got confirmation of this in a conversation with The Boss. MacGyver couldn't convince him otherwise.) Based on this, I expect either no raise or something very minimal. With that being said, I have a job and am thankful for that. There are lots of unemployed people out there who would love to have something, anything.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 31st, 2013, 8:58 pm

Awesome, cool. Enjoy. If you want to feel cool, you can spell it bluray. B-)
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 31st, 2013, 9:00 pm

Curiosity question. Are we still doing rotating mods, or have we settled on someone?
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 31st, 2013, 9:06 pm

bjornolf wrote:Curiosity question. Are we still doing rotating mods, or have we settled on someone?
Rotating mods: i'm having a vision of mods on a merry-go-round. Or maybe a ferris wheel. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » July 31st, 2013, 9:11 pm

Lavabe wrote:Does Native or Rolvix do Duke Tours for the admissions Office? I thought one of the two did tours, but I may be mistaken.
Native enjoys doing them when he can, though not officially. He hated turning down the job but something had to go. His enthusiasm for Duke is infectious. I can't speak for him. He has a lot of projects going right now but, PM him. He'd do it if he can work it in.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 31st, 2013, 9:47 pm

bjornolf wrote:Curiosity question. Are we still doing rotating mods, or have we settled on someone?
Wilson has disappeared (rumors have it with a bride ;) ) and Ymo has been "elected" to a lifetime term, with all the associated benefits, of course :)) .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2013, 10:24 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Oooh, Duke games so big and loud you will feel like a Crazie! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
You and Julie will have to come over for a Duke game sometime.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2013, 10:25 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:

Good for you!!!! I'm excited for you!!!!! :ymhug:
Thank you, VDB!

~ James Naismith