Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 9th, 2013, 3:33 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:To CathyCA:

Make sure your criminal defendants don't come into court and beg for mercy while simultaneously wearing a large black bracelet with large white letters declaring said defendant a BADASS.

:9f:
And no, I don't think she is a fan of Nate James. :9f:
=)) =)) :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 9th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Make sure your criminal defendants don't come into court and beg for mercy while simultaneously wearing a large black bracelet with large white letters declaring said defendant a BADASS.

I have been known to miss "statement" clothing before. There was that time I didn't notice that my client was wearing a WTF T-shirt. . .

At least the BADASS wasn't tattooed on the defendant's arm. A bracelet can be removed. Tattoos last forever.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 9th, 2013, 4:37 pm

CathyCA wrote:

I have been known to miss "statement" clothing before. There was that time I didn't notice that my client was wearing a WTF T-shirt. . .

At least the BADASS wasn't tattooed on the defendant's arm. A bracelet can be removed. Tattoos last forever.

Of course, the tattoo can be covered up or explained with "I was young and drunk and stupid and I can't afford to remove it." The deffendant made a conscious DECISION to wear the bracelet.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 9th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Christian just got a recruiting email from UNC-Sheep:
Hi Christian!

My name is Kehinde, and I’m a rising senior from Hope Mills, N.C. double majoring in Management and Society and Public Policy. As you think ahead to college, you might be worried about making friends. Believe me, I understand, so let me tell you a little about my experiences at Carolina.

Through my fraternity, residence hall, campus job, and extracurricular activities, I've met so many amazing people, most of whom I now consider to be great friends. I've also made friends just by exploring campus and meeting fellow Tar Heels who have also made this community their home. Carolina students are friendly by nature, which has allowed me to step outside my comfort zone and get to know them.

As an outstanding high school student, you'll have many choices for college, and when the time comes, I hope that you consider Carolina. To learn more about us, we encourage you to visit your MyCarolina page. We also encourage you to visit us by scheduling a student-led tour, which can be done through MyCarolina.

Regardless of which school you ultimately choose, this is a time of great exploration in your life, so make the most of it! Step outside of your comfort zone and meet new people. There’s a good chance you might end up making a friend for life!

Best wishes,

Kehinde, `14
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Uh, no, Kehinde. Christian is not worried about making friends. He's a gregarious kid.

Christian is worried about is the strength of the university's academic curriculum. I notice that you didn't write about the academic offerings at UNC-Sheep, Kehinde.

I am worried about whether Christian's dad will pay for college. Therefore, I am concerned with the cost of sending my kid to college. UNC-Sheep is cheaper than Duke, so I may very well be sending my kid there to meet you and your friends. Could you please send us some information on the classes which UNC offers to gregarious honors students?

Thanks bunches, Kehinde.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 9th, 2013, 6:34 pm

CathyCA wrote:Christian just got a recruiting email from UNC-Sheep:
Hi Christian!

My name is Kehinde, and I’m a rising senior from Hope Mills, N.C. double majoring in Management and Society and Public Policy. As you think ahead to college, you might be worried about making friends. Believe me, I understand, so let me tell you a little about my experiences at Carolina.

Through my fraternity, residence hall, campus job, and extracurricular activities, I've met so many amazing people, most of whom I now consider to be great friends. I've also made friends just by exploring campus and meeting fellow Tar Heels who have also made this community their home. Carolina students are friendly by nature, which has allowed me to step outside my comfort zone and get to know them.

As an outstanding high school student, you'll have many choices for college, and when the time comes, I hope that you consider Carolina. To learn more about us, we encourage you to visit your MyCarolina page. We also encourage you to visit us by scheduling a student-led tour, which can be done through MyCarolina.

Regardless of which school you ultimately choose, this is a time of great exploration in your life, so make the most of it! Step outside of your comfort zone and meet new people. There’s a good chance you might end up making a friend for life!

Best wishes,

Kehinde, `14
Uh, no, Kehinde. Christian is not worried about making friends. He's a gregarious kid.

Christian is worried about is the strength of the university's academic curriculum. I notice that you didn't write about the academic offerings at UNC-Sheep, Kehinde.

I am worried about whether Christian's dad will pay for college. Therefore, I am concerned with the cost of sending my kid to college. UNC-Sheep is cheaper than Duke, so I may very well be sending my kid there to meet you and your friends. Could you please send us some information on the classes which UNC offers to gregarious honors students?

Thanks bunches, Kehinde.

=)) =)) =)) Love the response, CathyCA. If you'd like, I would be more than happy to issue pre-emptive shin kicks to ExLax. They go into effect any time he even thinks about NOT paying for whatever college Christian wants to attend. Heck, I'll send him some now, just for good measure. :ymdevil: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 9th, 2013, 6:48 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Christian just got a recruiting email from UNC-Sheep:
Hi Christian!

Best wishes,

Kehinde, `14

Thanks bunches, Kehinde.

=)) =)) =)) Love the response, CathyCA. If you'd like, I would be more than happy to issue pre-emptive shin kicks to ExLax. They go into effect any time he even thinks about NOT paying for whatever college Christian wants to attend. Heck, I'll send him some now, just for good measure. :ymdevil: :9f:
As soon as I go upstairs, I will put on some pointy-toed shoes and add to the shin kicks for Ex-Lax. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 9th, 2013, 6:53 pm

The latest installment in "As the Bunsen Burns"

MacGyver came by my office today to talk to me and, while there, he relayed a new second-hand story about Wile E. Coyote. As it happens, MacGyver has a friend who works for the company from which Wile E. purchased his new instruments. This friend of MacGyver had to come to our fine institution to help Wile E. set up his instruments. MacGyver found out she was here after the fact. Since he didn't see her at the conference we attended recently, he called her and left a message in which he good-naturedly ribbed her about not stopping by when she was in town. His friend called him back and gave him the story on her visit. It's a classic.

Our local sales rep called Friend of MacGyver and told her that he needed her for a job. He picked her up at the airport and didn't tell her where they were going. She figured out the destination on the way, but he still didn't specify the lab. She didn't know who she was dealing with until she walked into the lab and saw Wile E. Now comes the fun part of the story: Friend of MacGyver has a long history with Wile E. His "new" setup is identical to what he had at his former institution - located just down the road from Friend of MacGyver (FOM). FOM had to make frequent visits to Wile E.'s lab in order to hep him run his instrument. Now, recall that WEC is an expert on said instrument, right? For an analogy, imagine that WEC's instrument is a refrigerator with an in-door water dispenser and that said dispenser required a filter change at least once a month. FOM had to travel to WEC's lab every time he had to change the filter for the water dispenser. It finally got to the point where she set things up and said, "Push this button to make the instrument work." :-o :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: Now, to put it into another context, I performed this same task for Road Runner's instrument while Bar Minion was on vacation. It took all of 10 minutes. Wile E. Coyote is completely incapable of doing it for himself. Ladies and gentlemen, meet the person that The Boss views as the expert on this particular instrument.

In summary, as I told MacGyver, Wile E. Coyote is actually even more incompetent than we thought. I didn't think that was even possible. :twitch: :twitch: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 9th, 2013, 7:02 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:The latest installment in "As the Bunsen Burns"

MacGyver came by my office today to talk to me and, while there, he relayed a new second-hand story about Wile E. Coyote. As it happens, MacGyver has a friend who works for the company from which Wile E. purchased his new instruments. This friend of MacGyver had to come to our fine institution to help Wile E. set up his instruments. MacGyver found out she was here after the fact. Since he didn't see her at the conference we attended recently, he called her and left a message in which he good-naturedly ribbed her about not stopping by when she was in town. His friend called him back and gave him the story on her visit. It's a classic.

Our local sales rep called Friend of MacGyver and told her that he needed her for a job. He picked her up at the airport and didn't tell her where they were going. She figured out the destination on the way, but he still didn't specify the lab. She didn't know who she was dealing with until she walked into the lab and saw Wile E. Now comes the fun part of the story: Friend of MacGyver has a long history with Wile E. His "new" setup is identical to what he had at his former institution - located just down the road from Friend of MacGyver (FOM). FOM had to make frequent visits to Wile E.'s lab in order to hep him run his instrument. Now, recall that WEC is an expert on said instrument, right? For an analogy, imagine that WEC's instrument is a refrigerator with an in-door water dispenser and that said dispenser required a filter change at least once a month. FOM had to travel to WEC's lab every time he had to change the filter for the water dispenser. It finally got to the point where she set things up and said, "Push this button to make the instrument work." :-o :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: Now, to put it into another context, I performed this same task for Road Runner's instrument while Bar Minion was on vacation. It took all of 10 minutes. Wile E. Coyote is completely incapable of doing it for himself. Ladies and gentlemen, meet the person that The Boss views as the expert on this particular instrument.

In summary, as I told MacGyver, Wile E. Coyote is actually even more incompetent than we thought. I didn't think that was even possible. :twitch: :twitch: :9f:
Wow. His incompetence knows no bounds. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 9th, 2013, 9:57 pm

windsor wrote:I just bought a fitbit one. So clip it on and magically lose weight, right?

:D
I looked it up. It's very similar to the Philips Direct Life Activity Monitor I had for a while, but it looks better. It monitors activity but nothing more. I will be intrigued to see how well your Fitbit One works.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 9th, 2013, 10:00 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I can get a free copy of P90X. But seriously, can the human eye see 36 megapixels?
Big advantage to 36 megapixels: you can crop pictures and not lose too much quality.

I'm seriously about to talk myself into spending almost an entire month's income on a camera and a couple of new lenses. (Alternatively, I can think of it as spending my tax refund on a new camera and 2 new lenses.) Am I completely crazy? :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 9th, 2013, 10:03 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

And no, I don't think she is a fan of Nate James. :9f:
Nice! Another classic!

So, which chapter of your book will this go into? I'm so looking forward to your "Idiot Criminal Defendants I Have Known" book. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 9th, 2013, 11:18 pm

CathyCA - I will add pre-emptive shin kicks to ExLax. He should happily pay for his gregarious honors student son to the college of his choice.

One question - how tall is ExLax? I'm trying to judge how high I can aim the pointy toed shoes. If i can aim high enough, I will opt for steel toed boots.
Life is good!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 10th, 2013, 6:09 am

DukieInKansas wrote:CathyCA - I will add pre-emptive shin kicks to ExLax. He should happily pay for his gregarious honors student son to the college of his choice.

One question - how tall is ExLax? I'm trying to judge how high I can aim the pointy toed shoes. If i can aim high enough, I will opt for steel toed boots.
Um, just pointing out what any bookie or mob enforcer can tell you, that if we cripple him, we'll damage his earning potential, and thus his ability to pay. Just a thought.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 10th, 2013, 6:28 am

Steel toed shoes would hurt.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 10th, 2013, 7:31 am

bjornolf wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:CathyCA - I will add pre-emptive shin kicks to ExLax. He should happily pay for his gregarious honors student son to the college of his choice.

Um, just pointing out what any bookie or mob enforcer can tell you, that if we cripple him, we'll damage his earning potential, and thus his ability to pay. Just a thought.
thCAAE2SFQ.jpg

I like these for shin kicking. The moderate heel allows me to keep solid balance while in my kicking motion. The pointed shape of the toe allows for precision impact. I can lift off a knee cap with these puppies, or put htat toe betweent he tibia and fibula if I so desire.

I'd begin with a 'warning shot' dead center of the tibia...if I didn't see a check book opening up we would, as they say, 'bring the rain'....and I would look good doing it. B-)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 10th, 2013, 7:35 am

ArkieDukie wrote:The latest installment in "As the Bunsen Burns"

The only instrument Wile E Coyote needs:
thCAXXLU33.jpg
thCAXXLU33.jpg (4.76 KiB) Viewed 277 times
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 10th, 2013, 8:14 am

FITBIT ONE - Early Review

I have been using the FitBit one for a few days. So far I really like it. I opted for the One vs. the bracelet because I am not hard bodied 20 something who wants to broadcast my fitness level. The One comes with a little neoprene jacket that allows it to clip on clothing (it also has wrist wrap that has a pouch to hold it for sleeping). In the jacket the device is < 2 inches long and a little short of ½” wide. It is VERY light. Mine has been clipped in the center front of my bra. You do not know it is there. It’s activity measurement seems to be quite accurate. You can check your progress/status from the device itself, from certain smart phones with an app (my Galaxy S4 is one of them) and from computer based dashboard. Setup of both the dashboard and the ‘droid app was easy and quick. The dashboard is customizable.

The Fitbit integrates with many other fitness tools/apps (MyFitnessPal, MapMyRun …and many many more) I linked it with Fitness Pal because I already had some prebuilt meals in there, and an established history.

I have not tried the sleep monitoring or the vibrating alarm. I am still using just the basics. I am really happy with it – and would recommended with a great big IF – all it is is a geeky motivational tool. If your motivated by dashboards and bells and whistles and step/stair counts then this for you. If not, it is a $100 best spent elsewhere. Time will tell how much good it actually does for yours truly. On the upside, I had a $50 gift card Best Buy sent me after I complained about something…and $35 in BestBuy rewards, so my out of pocket was $15+ tax. I should note I did spend the extra 14 for two years replacement. Since it is worn while exercising I thought the chance of damage was high enough to make it reasonable to spend the money.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 10th, 2013, 10:53 am

bjornolf wrote:

I don't want to damage his earning potential - just want to make him sing in a higher register for a while. :D
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 10th, 2013, 11:18 am

Yet another fun court story: older man came into courtroom wearing a hat. Bailiff said, "sir, please take your hat off." Old man said, "I don't see why anyone would care if I wear my hat." Bailiff said, "the judge might get upset." OM: "If he is having that bad a day that he cares if I had a hat on, I don't want to be in front of him."

Turned out that he pulled out at an intersection and hit a young girl. She piped up with something about how he was rude and she wished he would apologize. He responded, "it'll be a cold damn day in hell before I apologize to her."

Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 10th, 2013, 2:30 pm

He is 6'2".

~ James Naismith