LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by windsor » July 7th, 2013, 5:01 pm

I just bought a fitbit one. So clip it on and magically lose weight, right?

:D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 7th, 2013, 5:36 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Wow....forever...since day one.
I never saw them until today. But then I don't go into The Stadium very often.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 7th, 2013, 5:37 pm

I just bought another junker. Not sure what I'm thinking...
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 7th, 2013, 6:07 pm

By round 4, it really isn't projectile vomiting any more, is it?
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 7th, 2013, 6:30 pm

If it is The Stadium, couldn't this be the Tailgate Zone? And the whole thing Our House?
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 7th, 2013, 7:58 pm

windsor wrote:I just bought a fitbit one. So clip it on and magically lose weight, right?

:D
I keep thinking I ought to get one and give it a shot. Let me know if you magically lose weight.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 7th, 2013, 8:05 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I just bought another junker. Not sure what I'm thinking...
What did you buy?
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 7th, 2013, 9:22 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
What did you buy?
This is what I think I bought:

This is what I bought:

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 7th, 2013, 9:34 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
What did you buy?
This is what I think I bought:

This is what I bought:

Lots of potential! :auto-layrubber:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » July 8th, 2013, 11:03 am

Sad to hear that Nolan Smith suffered a calf/leg injury and is Out of the Summer League with the Boston Celtics. Get well Nolan!!!!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 8th, 2013, 5:45 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Is anyone else stuck with 1 new message in their inbox but nothing there? I even deleted all the new ones I got since the episode in April, but no change.
Me. I finally gave up trying to get rid of it.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 8th, 2013, 10:27 pm

Like the new car, Ymo! You'll have lots of fun with rebuilding it. We'll all be anxious to see pictures of your project in its various stages of completion.

My bit of fun for the day: I took my camera with me on my evening walk. I've been shooting in Manual mode (as opposed to one of the automatic modes) to get a bit more artistic in terms of exposure and depth of field. Tonight's efforts are posted on FB. Last night's are as well: sunset pictures.

Part of the reason I'm doing this is to decide whether or not to buy a new camera. My D90 is still okay, but I'm itching to upgrade to the D800 (both Nikon). It's the newest full frame (DX) camera and is 36 megapixels. Depth of field and dynamic range are the best of any camera currently on the market, according to my research. 2/4 of my lenses are DX compatible (60mm macro, 70-300 zoom) - and these happen to be the 2 most expensive lenses I own. The D800 is pricey, but you can get factory refurbished ones for several hundred dollars less. Some of the early ones had an autofocus problem, causing many people to return them. Allegedly QC is better on the refurbished models than it is on the brand new cameras. There are rumors that Nikon will have a new model coming out in the fall that is the long-awaited D90 replacement. If true, this particular camera would have most of the D800 bells and whistles but would be DX rather than FX. It would also be cheaper. So, in summary, I'm waffling on buying now or waiting to see if the D90 replacement actually happens.

How are the rest of the shutterbugs in our group doing? Windsor, are you still shooting with your D90? Lavabe, do you still have the same Canon that you took to Madagascar? Thoughts on FX vs DX, anyone?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 8th, 2013, 11:08 pm

I can get a free copy of P90X. But seriously, can the human eye see 36 megapixels?
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 8th, 2013, 11:09 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Is anyone else stuck with 1 new message in their inbox but nothing there? I even deleted all the new ones I got since the episode in April, but no change.
Me. I finally gave up trying to get rid of it.
I'm going to try and continue to fight the good fight. Haha, okay, I'm tired. Very, very tired.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 8th, 2013, 11:21 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I can get a free copy of P90X. But seriously, can the human eye see 36 megapixels?
P90X is that expensive, super-duper workout program, right? Impressive that you can get it free.

There are many debates/discussions regarding the issue of megapixels. Some say that you really don't need any more than 12. Others say that more is better because you can compress images and get higher quality pictures at higher ISOs.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 8th, 2013, 11:25 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Like the new car, Ymo! You'll have lots of fun with rebuilding it. We'll all be anxious to see pictures of your project in its various stages of completion.

My bit of fun for the day: I took my camera with me on my evening walk. I've been shooting in Manual mode (as opposed to one of the automatic modes) to get a bit more artistic in terms of exposure and depth of field. Tonight's efforts are posted on FB. Last night's are as well: sunset pictures.

Part of the reason I'm doing this is to decide whether or not to buy a new camera. My D90 is still okay, but I'm itching to upgrade to the D800 (both Nikon). It's the newest full frame (DX) camera and is 36 megapixels. Depth of field and dynamic range are the best of any camera currently on the market, according to my research. 2/4 of my lenses are DX compatible (60mm macro, 70-300 zoom) - and these happen to be the 2 most expensive lenses I own. The D800 is pricey, but you can get factory refurbished ones for several hundred dollars less. Some of the early ones had an autofocus problem, causing many people to return them. Allegedly QC is better on the refurbished models than it is on the brand new cameras. There are rumors that Nikon will have a new model coming out in the fall that is the long-awaited D90 replacement. If true, this particular camera would have most of the D800 bells and whistles but would be DX rather than FX. It would also be cheaper. So, in summary, I'm waffling on buying now or waiting to see if the D90 replacement actually happens.

How are the rest of the shutterbugs in our group doing? Windsor, are you still shooting with your D90? Lavabe, do you still have the same Canon that you took to Madagascar? Thoughts on FX vs DX, anyone?
I loved your pics on FB, AD. I especially liked the one of the pier with the rocks in the foreground.

Good work!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 8th, 2013, 11:36 pm

Thanks, Cathy. Bit of trivia: there's a restaurant on the pier. I think you can see it in one of the shots. I ate there for the first time last week, when my family was in town. It was great. Good food, spectacular view. Ate there again with my cousin on Friday, and we were able to watch a pod of dolphins playing in the Gulf while we ate.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 9th, 2013, 7:31 am

I want PX90. Beyond the number '90' there is no similarity between the two, but still I have a Nikon D90 - and it has been languishing unloved for a while now. I was just thinking that I needed to get back out and shoot some. I think I will check the local photogroup and see what kind of events they have for this weekend.

So far the fitbit One is cool. I have not reduced my substantial girth yet.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 9th, 2013, 12:32 pm

To CathyCA:

Make sure your criminal defendants don't come into court and beg for mercy while simultaneously wearing a large black bracelet with large white letters declaring said defendant a BADASS.

Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 9th, 2013, 12:33 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:To CathyCA:

Make sure your criminal defendants don't come into court and beg for mercy while simultaneously wearing a large black bracelet with large white letters declaring said defendant a BADASS.

And no, I don't think she is a fan of Nate James. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.