LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » June 26th, 2013, 11:06 pm

Looks like I may need to get some new fish, though at the rate I'm screwing up with them, I should probably spare them the agony.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 26th, 2013, 11:10 pm

windsor wrote::gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag:

sorry...just couldn't help myself :D
Woo-hoo!

:gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow:

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 26th, 2013, 11:11 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:I survived Youth Mission trip #6. I am the only person to have gone on all of them. We actually stayed at a retreat center in town and worked from there. Made some unexpected connections during the week.
Congrats, DinK! Do you have pictures?

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 27th, 2013, 1:12 am

CathyCA wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:I survived Youth Mission trip #6. I am the only person to have gone on all of them. We actually stayed at a retreat center in town and worked from there. Made some unexpected connections during the week.

I'll probably get some posted to Facebook tomorrow night.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 27th, 2013, 7:59 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:
DukePA wrote:
windsor wrote::gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag:

sorry...just couldn't help myself :D
Well then, Stevo and I might have to get married sooner than later. We've maintained that we won't marry until all of our friends can marry in NC.
Did I understand correctly that if they get married, where it's "legal", the state they live in has to honor their union and they would be eligible to receive any rights that a male and female marriage has?

Not exactly. DOMA is federal. What it means is if you are legally married you are entitled to equal federal treatment with no regard to you or your partners gender. Previousy the federal goverment did not recognzie same sex marriages even if they were legally performed in a state that allowed it. Specific areas impacted are inheritance, tax status, and federal benefits (military, social security etc).

States that still deny same sex couples marriage will not have to honor those marriages from other states. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. 14 states plus DC (and several native american nations)have granted same sex couples the right to marry. Roughly 30% of the population lives where marriage equality exists. I would expect to see a rash of challenges in other states after the Prop 8 and DOMA rulings. There are five states that allow 'civil unions' but not marriage. Since the DOMA ruling says 'marriage' there will be immediate challenges in those states for equal treatment. I think the political middle ground conserative states will be "you can't GET married here, but if you get married someplace esle we will grudginly honor it" but he DOMA and Prop 8 rulings don't reuiqre it. Essentially the "anti" battle is lost, the tide of public of has shifted and increasingly there will be economic consequences...Florida has lost its bid to score too major employers becasue those companies have progressive LGBT policies and Florida...doesn't. In fact I am embarassed that Florida is one of the draconian states that felt the need to add a constitutional amendment. Then again, Florida government embarasses me on a regular basis...at least we aren't Texas.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 27th, 2013, 8:03 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Looks like I may need to get some new fish, though at the rate I'm screwing up with them, I should probably spare them the agony.
They are all still swimming, but it doesn't look good.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 27th, 2013, 8:11 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Looks like I may need to get some new fish, though at the rate I'm screwing up with them, I should probably spare them the agony.

May I make a recommendation:

91MvzK2lcBL__SL1500_.jpg
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 27th, 2013, 9:34 am

Thanks windsor. I know get it. It's a start. I have to wounder what those who are so against gay marriage would and will do if one of their children "comes out". Will they finally understand being against gay marriage would be unreasonable and cruel.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 27th, 2013, 11:02 am

Glad you are home safely, DinK, and way to go! :happy-bouncyblue: :ymhug: ^:)^
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 27th, 2013, 2:57 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
How are the fish doing?
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 27th, 2013, 8:38 pm

They are alive and kicking, thanks for asking. I think I just saw them as they were cycling down for the night and over interpreted what was going on. I've been doing that a lot lately.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 27th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Got a call from my property manager this evening. The good news is that he found someone to lease my condo. The bad news is that the repairs are coming in over the estimate. My mantra is, "tax deductible."
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 27th, 2013, 10:18 pm

My "justify my existence" meeting with The Boss is at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 27th, 2013, 10:57 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My "justify my existence" meeting with The Boss is at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon.
Vibes for your meeting tomorrow.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 27th, 2013, 11:47 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Got a call from my property manager this evening. The good news is that he found someone to lease my condo. The bad news is that the repairs are coming in over the estimate. My mantra is, "tax deductible."
YAY for the renters!

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 27th, 2013, 11:48 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My "justify my existence" meeting with The Boss is at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon.
I will be thinking of you then!

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 27th, 2013, 11:49 pm

windsor wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:
Did I understand correctly that if they get married, where it's "legal", the state they live in has to honor their union and they would be eligible to receive any rights that a male and female marriage has?

Not exactly. DOMA is federal. What it means is if you are legally married you are entitled to equal federal treatment with no regard to you or your partners gender. Previousy the federal goverment did not recognzie same sex marriages even if they were legally performed in a state that allowed it. Specific areas impacted are inheritance, tax status, and federal benefits (military, social security etc).

States that still deny same sex couples marriage will not have to honor those marriages from other states. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. 14 states plus DC (and several native american nations)have granted same sex couples the right to marry. Roughly 30% of the population lives where marriage equality exists. I would expect to see a rash of challenges in other states after the Prop 8 and DOMA rulings. There are five states that allow 'civil unions' but not marriage. Since the DOMA ruling says 'marriage' there will be immediate challenges in those states for equal treatment. I think the political middle ground conserative states will be "you can't GET married here, but if you get married someplace esle we will grudginly honor it" but he DOMA and Prop 8 rulings don't reuiqre it. Essentially the "anti" battle is lost, the tide of public of has shifted and increasingly there will be economic consequences...Florida has lost its bid to score too major employers becasue those companies have progressive LGBT policies and Florida...doesn't. In fact I am embarassed that Florida is one of the draconian states that felt the need to add a constitutional amendment. Then again, Florida government embarasses me on a regular basis...at least we aren't Texas.
I used to think I was conservative, then I moved here to Texas. Turns out I'm a fiscal conservative and social liberal.

I've already gone too far on the PPB realm.
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » June 28th, 2013, 2:19 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

I'll probably get some posted to Facebook tomorrow night.
Some pix are up.
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 28th, 2013, 8:16 am

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray: for your meeting, AD!
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 28th, 2013, 9:50 am

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: