Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » June 25th, 2012, 9:04 pm

Guilford Golden Ale-Natty Greene's Brewing

Leftover beer is not always bad beer as evidenced by this extra from a cookout at my daughter's last weekend. It is a local product from Greensboro and they also have brewpubs in Greensboro and Raleigh. Pours a clean, light yellow-golden with very light caramel tastes and a faint floral bouquet. Small head, minimal grassy hop palate and bitterness. I'd guess about 20 IBU and about 5% ABV so a fine brew to share or trade or bring to an afternoon/evening grilling session.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Outburst-Pyramid Breweries

Not sure how new this is to the brew world but it is certainly a fresh taste to my palate. I received this as a trader last week and enjoyed it over the weekend. Not a knock your socks off IIPA but a very solid offering with aromas of pine and resin with similar tastes with a bit of grapefruit from a couple or three hop varieties that are strangers to me. Moderately bitter with an IBU of 80 but this is well-balanced with generous amounts of three different malts that impart buttery and caramel tastes at an ABV of 8.5%. It was a yellow-orange in color with a moderate head and would make a nice partner with spicy/hot fare. Some brewer's notes:

Outburst is a refreshingly bitter Imperial IPA. With 80 IBUs and 8.5% ABV, our dry-hopped Imperial IPA delivers a bold taste with a massive hop flavor.
Beer Stats
Availability:
Year Round
Malts:
2-Row, Munich, Caramel, Carared
Hops:
Nugget, Chinook, Cascade/CTZ
Dry Hopped with:
Falconer’s Flight, Zythos
OG:
ABV:
8.5%
IBU:

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 29th, 2012, 11:12 pm

Deviant Dale's-Oskar Blues Brewing

I have another IPA I will now add to my favorites list. This is packaged in a 16 ounce tall boy can and was a trader last week. Poured a somewhat viscous, sticky orange-yellow with a moderately foamy head. Gorgeous aromas of grapefruit, pineapple and pine with the tastes to match with a bit of resin but well balanced with generous amounts of caramel, malty sweetness and an almost syrupy/oily character. Hops smack your palate at an estimated 80 IBU and the 8% ABV is subtle, but after 16 ounces, there is a mild alcohol burn and buzz. Almost makes it into the IIPA category but falls just short. One of the hoppier, boozier single IPAs I have had. Would love to taste on draft or at a session with the Two Hearted Ale and DFH 60 minute IPA. That would make quite an evening. I'll guess this comes in a 4 pack and I'd wager about $9-10 for the litter. Worth a single or splurge for the whole package and share, trade or hoard.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 1st, 2012, 7:03 pm

Premium Dunkel-Warsteiner Brauerei

Average and humdrum. Poured a clear, dark amber with a thin mocha head and hints of smoke and slightly burned cocoa with minimal hop presence. This was a trader and about finishes off the 6er except for the Mendocino Oatmeal Stout which is waaayy too dark and heavy to have in 100+ degree weather. That will be a fall review. The Warsteiner would be fine to compare with some other dunkels or with BBQ chicken or ribs or a smokey cheddar bacon burger. I'd guess the IBU about 30 and the ABV was 4.8%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 4th, 2012, 7:07 am

Tricerahops-Ninkasi Brewing

Another great name to be added to the list of brew monikers. My son discovered this bomber in a grocery store in Portland when he interviewed out there in February. It is a double IPA (DIPA or IIPA) that pours a slightly cloudy yellow-orange with a moderate foamy head. The scents are pine and citrus and melted caramel and the potpourri of tastes match the aromas with a well balanced blend of malty sweetness and some citrus and peachy notes. (I thought citrus and he thought peaches as we shared the bomber last PM.) The high gravity of 8.8% ABV is deceptive and the hop blast of 100 IBU is not over-powering. Very solid night cap or beverage to serve with spicy and/or hot dishes. The brewery is in Eugene so I doubt I'll ever see this brew again :(( .

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 5th, 2012, 10:53 am

Frankenlou's IPA-Seven Brides Brewing

Although it does not start out that way, this brew ends up as one of the hoppiest assaults on my palate ever. Initially, aromas of pine, grass and resin from the hops are balanced my the caramel malts, but as I finished the shared bomber with my son, who "smuggled" it in from Oregon this winter, we both thought this is pretty brutal. We suspected it might be this way with the 105 IBU printed on the bottle and were pleasantly surprised at first. However, the 7% ABV falls behind on the balance scale and the bitterness dominates. Worthy of a try during a tasting session or with some curry or fiery Chinese food but not worth a re-visit.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 5th, 2012, 12:47 pm

devildeac wrote:Frankenlou's IPA-Seven Brides Brewing

Although it does not start out that way, this brew ends up as one of the hoppiest assaults on my palate ever. Initially, aromas of pine, grass and resin from the hops are balanced my the caramel malts, but as I finished the shared bomber with my son, who "smuggled" it in from Oregon this winter, we both thought this is pretty brutal. We suspected it might be this way with the 105 IBU printed on the bottle and were pleasantly surprised at first. However, the 7% ABV falls behind on the balance scale and the bitterness dominates. Worthy of a try during a tasting session or with some curry or fiery Chinese food but not worth a re-visit.
Or perhaps some pickled lemon peppers?
;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 5th, 2012, 10:39 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:Frankenlou's IPA-Seven Brides Brewing

Or perhaps some pickled lemon peppers?
;)
No, and not with Peter Piper picking them, either.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 7th, 2012, 8:14 pm

Supporting NC food and brews:

Witbier-Mash House Brewing

The devildeacs celebrated their 34th anniversary tonight (a day early) by visiting Tribeca Tavern. We actually visited friends downtown and headed to the Cary location but found out on the way over there that our neighbor's son was no longer the manager there but had been transferred to the North Raleigh location (and promoted to general manager) so we got back on I-40 and then I-540 and headed to the location about 2 miles from our house and enjoyed a bowl of shrimp and grits and a Hurricane burger along with a slice of chocolate raspberry ice box cake. I treated myself to a freshly tapped 23 ounce serving of their seasonal Witbier for $2 off the regular $7 price and it was just about as expected with a cloudy, yellow, foamy pour that had aromas of citrus from the unfiltered wheat malt and orange peel and very slight bitterness from the spicing with the coriander. It made a nice match with my NC Hurricane burger which was topped with lettuce, tomato, raw onion, slaw, NC hoop cheddar, applewood smoked bacon and a heap of pork shoulder and a bit of BBQ sauce. I'd guess the IBU to be about 20 and ABV to be around 5%. He also gave us a nice 25% discount off our bill for being good neighbors :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2012, 10:21 pm

90 Minute IPA-Dogfish Head Brewing

One of my all time favorites, this brew, which is really an IIPA, has it covered "to the nines." 90 minutes of continuous hopping and dry hopping, 90 IBU and 9% ABV. Pours an orange-yellow with a small head that rapidly dissipates but leaves behind a citrus/tropical melange of pineapple, mango and a bit of grapefruit. The huge malty backbone balances the high IBU with tastes of medium caramel, rum and brown sugar. Best served at cellar temperatures, this ale would pair nicely with aged cheeses, pork tenderloin, a spiced/peppery beef brisket or enjoyed by itself from a snifter. I "inherited" 4 of these from my son's recent bachelor party so I had one last week and I believe I will trade one, age one and sip the other a bit later this summer.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 12th, 2012, 10:51 pm

devildeac wrote:Two Hearted Ale (draft)-Bell's Brewing

It has been a while since I had one of these and I had forgotten how pleasant and well-balanced this IPA was from the light citrus and floral hop aromas and tastes to the nearly perfect balance with medium caramel and toffee flavors, too. Served in a voluptuous Sam Adams ale glass as the select brew of the evening, this yellow-orange ale accompanied a heaping plate of chicken nachos and was an ideal pairing with its modest spice and bitterness (even my daughter who is not much of a beer fan thought it only mildly bitter) with an estimated IBU of 60 and an ABV of 7%. I think it was a $3/pint special. I even thought about a second pint but declined so I was able to fully enjoy Brahms' Symphony No. 3 and Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2 a bit later that evening.

Two Hearted Ale(bottle)-Bell's Brewing

Interesting comparison/contrast between the draft above and the two bottles I enjoyed the last couple weeks that were leftovers from my son's bachelor party last month. I think the bottled edition is a bit more piney and resinous than the draft variety with even less citrus and floral notes but the balance is still excellent and crispness is ideal. I'd have the same food pairings and would not hesitate keeping the remaining 2 bottles or trading for a worthy cause :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 17th, 2012, 11:03 pm

Skipping Stone-Uinta Brewing

Earth, wind and beer is their motto. Brand new beer to me that I received today as a trader. Light yellow in color with a moderately foamy and fizzy head, it resembled the Nile Special I had last week and just reviewed tonight except the hops were a bit more prominent, more along the lines of a true European pilsner. Light caramel and honey notes present, too. IBU are 22 and I'd guess the ABV to be less than 5% so this would make a nice porch beer at this time of year and I'd suggest pairing it with similar foods as I did the Nile Special.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 17th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Nile Special Premium Lager-Nile Breweries P.O. Box 762 Jinja, Uganda (brewed under license from SABMiller Int. B.V.)

"True Reward from the Source"

"Uganda's famous international award winning beer, brewed at the source of the great Nile River"

"Ingredients: water, barley malt, maize grits, sugar, hops & CO2"

I received this 500 ml bottle weekend before last from a couple missionaries we supported for most of the last year as they worked in Uganda and was highly surprised by the quality and flavors of this brew. It poured a light, clear yellow with a mildly fizzy and foamy head which retained its lacing nicely in a pilsner glass. The aromas were fresh flowers and the tastes matched along with light honey and straw notes. The hops were crisp and only slightly bitter with an IBU in the 10-20 range. ABV was 5.6% so I was able to finish the bottle easily on a warm summer night. Not that I'll ever see one of these again, it would make a pleasant pairing with fruits and soft cheeses before dinner or a lighter flavored/bodied fish with dinner. Very solid offering.

From the brewer:

"Nile Special has been the flagship brand of Nile Breweries for over 50 years. An eight times Gold Award and double Grand Gold winner at the Brussels-based Monde Selection International, Nile Special has been trusted over the generations for its satisfying full bodied character and consistency."

Name: beer_7170.jpg Views: 0 Size: 8.4 KB
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Longboard Island Lager-Kona Brewing

I think this may be the final lager in my trader 6er from earlier in the week and it was refreshing on this 85 degree night at 10 PM here in hot and sultry Raleighwood. Poured a light straw color with a mildly fizzy/foamy head which does not linger long. Very light honey and caramel notes of sweetness and summer floral hops. No stats on the can but I'd guess IBU to be 20 and the ABV to be about 5% so I will be able to enjoy the last 4 ounces of my 12 ounce bottle of Dogfish Head Raison D'Extra in a few minutes. I'd sip the lager after a lawn mowing session on on the porch before the burgers were served along with a fruit salad.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 21st, 2012, 2:18 pm

Wedding weekend in G'boro so there will be several Natty Greene flavors discussed.

Golden (draft)-Natty Greene (duh)

This had more character and body than the bottled cousin I tasted several weeks ago. Light amber in color with a modest head and toasted bread tastes and slight floral hops. I'd guess about 30 IBU and about 5% ABV. Made a nice taster before a wedding rehearsal dinner last PM.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 21st, 2012, 2:19 pm

Buckshot (bottle)-Natty Greene's

Fat Tire, North Carolina style. This has a bit more body, a rich amber color, modest head and a bit more caramel malt sweetness and slightly piney hops than the Golden Ale. (I know that's not a good sentence but this is a beer review, not a unc term paper and I don't have a tutor.) I'd guess an IBU about 35 and an ABV of 5%. Nice pre-dinner beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 23rd, 2012, 10:41 pm

Hessian Hefeweizen-Natty Greene's Brewing

Another respectable sampling from this brewpub/brewery in Greensboro. Shared on draft with my son-in-law after our rehearsal dinner Friday night. Moderately cloudy with a fizzy, foamy orange-yellow color served on draft as one of their Pubcraft ales. Nice banana and clove aromas and tastes with minimal bitterness. I'd guess the IBU about 20 and ABV was 5.4% which is slightly above what I'd expect from an unfiltered wheat ale. Nice ale to sip with friends and family on a steamy southern night, either with some soft, light cheeses and fruit or as a night cap.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 23rd, 2012, 10:51 pm

Kellerweis-Sierra Nevada

It's summer and time to enjoy some lighter ales. This is another hefeweizen and resembles the Hessian from Natty Greene's in that it is an unfiltered wheat ale that is light and refreshing with some orange citrus tastes to accompany the banana and clove scents and tastes. This was a bottle I received as a trader last week and not sure if I have ever had it before. I'll guess the IBU to be low and the ABV on the bottle is 4.8% which is in the range I'd expect for a wheat ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Inclined Pale Ale-Flat Rock Brewing

This appears to be the month for unusual/different brews from remote locations. This is from Latrobe and is a 12 ounce can of a modest quality IPA with a billowing head topping a slightly cloudy yellow-orange brew with notes of pine, black pepper and cannabis and a modest malty backbone. I could not find any IBU or ABV but I'd guess 60 and 5%, respectively. Worth a taste as I received it in a trader last week and would be an OK pairing with spicy/hot fare. Not worth a 6er or a trip to Latrobe.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2012, 11:02 pm

Sons of Liberty-Natty Greene's Brewing

Final Natty. Promise.

This is labeled as a strong ale and is a draft only exclusive from their "Pubcraft" series, rotating on a seasonal basis. It's not really a strong ale but more of an IPA. Pungent citrusy hops and a bit of resin with a respectable balance from the moderate maltiness. It's not really that strong at 6.3% ABV and I'd estimate the IBU to be at least 60. It was a slightly hazy yellow-orange with a modest head served at their pub and brewing company in Greensboro in a pint glass. This would be fine with ribs, nachos or spicy fare.

So, overall, they make a reasonable selection of session brews and usually have 7 pub draft only brews. I'll not go out of my way to visit their pub in Raleigh but would like to taste their brown ale and their IPA. Some of their brews appear to be duplicates or very similar styles, their Ordinary Bitter and General Stout are a bit thin on the ABV (around 4%) and I'd like to see some different styles like a double or triple or an IIPA before I'd give them any more than about a B rating.