Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by IowaDevil » June 17th, 2013, 11:02 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
830495_10151477154505928_641843993_o.jpg
I would be remiss if I didn't wish the finest hound in Walkertown a happy 10th birthday. :O3

Happy birthday to Merlin.
Well Happy BD to Merlin in his Thundershirt from Schatzi & us too! :animals-dogrun: :occasion-birthdaymulticolor: :animals-dogrun: :occasion-balloons:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 17th, 2013, 12:27 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
I would be remiss if I didn't wish the finest hound in Walkertown a happy 10th birthday. :O3

Happy birthday, Merlin! Have a chew bone on me.
Life is good!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 17th, 2013, 12:29 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Floyd, VA on a Friday night!
You are about a half hour from my mom and stepdad's house there. I had never seen the country store before Julie and I spent our Thanksgiving there this year. I so want to see some music there! Julie went wild in the fabric shop in town, and we found some great Duke prints that she used to make me a blanket. (And a Duke quilt, still in progress. :happy-bouncyblue: )
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 17th, 2013, 12:53 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Floyd, VA on a Friday night!
You are about a half hour from my mom and stepdad's house there. I had never seen the country store before Julie and I spent our Thanksgiving there this year. I so want to see some music there! Julie went wild in the fabric shop in town, and we found some great Duke prints that she used to make me a blanket. (And a Duke quilt, still in progress. :happy-bouncyblue: )
Oddfellas Cantina is really good, if you like eclectic food and happen to be in Floyd. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 17th, 2013, 5:15 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Turk wrote:Hmm, I believe Blue Ball is in that neighborhood as well. But I thought Intercourse was on the way to Paradise.

The Amish have a very sly sense of humor...
We were traveling in the opposite direction :ymblushing: .

Bird-in-Hand is also in the area, IIRC.
You meet up with DukeTaylor today? :9f:
Most certainly did. He sends his regards and we had a Hardywood brew. Then he went to work. Then I had another. Along with several fried oysters, a crabcake and half a sausage sammich. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 17th, 2013, 6:36 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

Happy birthday, Merlin! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 17th, 2013, 8:16 pm

I'm so bad. In an email responding to another issue, Wile E. Coyote asked me about new instrument releases from a particular vendor. I responded in high level technospeak, intentionally saying things I knew he wouldn't understand. The payoff was even better than he imagined. His response was, "Does that mean it will do (Technique X)?" Uh, no, dumbass, but the instrument you already have will do that. :| =))

Happy birthday to me. :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 18th, 2013, 10:06 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm so bad. In an email responding to another issue, Wile E. Coyote asked me about new instrument releases from a particular vendor. I responded in high level technospeak, intentionally saying things I knew he wouldn't understand. The payoff was even better than he imagined. His response was, "Does that mean it will do (Technique X)?" Uh, no, dumbass, but the instrument you already have will do that. :| =))

:)) =)) :)) =))
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 18th, 2013, 11:32 pm

I just spent the last hour on LinkedIn, endorsing colleagues for various skills and adding new connections. I sent a request to DevilAlumna, in fact. One can never tell when professional networks will come in handy, and one can never tell when friends will need endorsements. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 19th, 2013, 7:33 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm so bad. In an email responding to another issue, Wile E. Coyote asked me about new instrument releases from a particular vendor. I responded in high level technospeak, intentionally saying things I knew he wouldn't understand. The payoff was even better than he imagined. His response was, "Does that mean it will do (Technique X)?" Uh, no, dumbass, but the instrument you already have will do that. :| =))

=)) =))

I have been known to do this. It was my favorite sport with my former boss, when he annoyed me I would just geekspeak him until his eyes glazed over. One of the highlights of me tenure there ws the moment when he watched me do it to someone else, and realized I had been yanking his chain for years. Classic. Just Classic. :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 19th, 2013, 8:53 am

windsor wrote:

=)) =))

I have been known to do this. It was my favorite sport with my former boss, when he annoyed me I would just geekspeak him until his eyes glazed over. One of the highlights of me tenure there ws the moment when he watched me do it to someone else, and realized I had been yanking his chain for years. Classic. Just Classic. :D
=)) =)) =)) and :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: to both of you! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 19th, 2013, 9:15 am

lawgrad91 wrote:

Merlin is beautiful. I hope he had a wonderful birthday.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 19th, 2013, 8:52 pm

windsor wrote:

=)) =))

Excellent work, windsor! Guess my plan to be like you when I grow up is working. :D

Follow-up fun: I answered WEC's question about the new instrument with a thoughtful (and fairly technical) explanation of which instrument (Instrument A) is best for Technique X, and why his current instrument (Instrument B) is a distant 2nd. The reason for the follow-up? WEC had a chance to purchase Instrument A - in fact, the price quote came in LOWER for A than for B. He decided against getting A because he already knew the software for B and didn't want to learn the software for A. :twitch: L-) :ymdevil: (Because, yeah, that should be the deciding factor - rather than best instrument for desired application - when you're purchasing $500K piece of equipment.) Response: crickets.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 20th, 2013, 7:05 am

ArkieDukiet wrote: The reason for the follow-up? WEC had a chance to purchase Instrument A - in fact, the price quote came in LOWER for A than for B. He decided against getting A because he already knew the software for B and didn't want to learn the software for A. :twitch: L-) :ymdevil: (Because, yeah, that should be the deciding factor - rather than best instrument for desired application - when you're purchasing $500K piece of equipment.) Response: crickets.

I have worked places where the development tool(s) for software application were selected based on what the CIO was familiar with. Usually not the best choice, since by the time you hit CIO status your hands have been out of the code for a more than a few years...yeah....be happy to write that in freakin' COBOL.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 21st, 2013, 6:11 am

I still remember a little FORTRAN.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 21st, 2013, 6:13 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I still remember a little FORTRAN.
That makes one of us! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 21st, 2013, 7:14 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I still remember a little FORTRAN.
That makes one of us! :9f:

Pop Quiz geek test...what are

FORTRAN
COBOL and
BASIC

acronyms for...

no fair using google...
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 21st, 2013, 10:23 am

It would be easier if you asked what PL/I stood for... :-B :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 21st, 2013, 11:01 am

Lavabe wrote:It would be easier if you asked what PL/I stood for... :-B :D
=)) =)) =))

there was also APL ... my father used to piss of Ken Iverson (the creator) by calling it 'Another Programming Language' instead of "A" programming language
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 21st, 2013, 6:40 pm

windsor wrote:
Lavabe wrote:It would be easier if you asked what PL/I stood for... :-B :D
=)) =)) =))

there was also APL ... my father used to piss of Ken Iverson (the creator) by calling it 'Another Programming Language' instead of "A" programming language
APL!! :)) =)) =)) :))

I loved PASCAL. :-B :-$
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.