PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » May 31st, 2013, 7:33 am

Now is time for change!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 31st, 2013, 8:35 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:The jury found Mario McNeill guilty of murder for the 5 year old girl, Shaniya Davis, of Fayetteville. The jury gave him the Death Sentence, because McNeill would not let his defense argue againest it.

There's another murder case going on in Durham, now also. Raveb Abrora is accused of killing his wife.

I feel for the attorneys who have to defend people that are guilty as sin in heinous crimes. And the cost to the counties, cities and states for having to try them.
It is not the function of the attorneys to determine innocence or guilt. That is the function of the finder of fact, either the jury or the judge, depending on the type of case.

Defense attorneys have too many other things going on in a trial than to worry about ultimate innocence or guilt. We're there to make sure that our clients' constitutional rights are protected, and that our clients get fair trials. The determination of innocence or guilt is in the province of the jury (or judge) and our job as defense attorneys is to guide our clients through the procedures of trial, making sure that the clients get fair trials.

If a client tells me, "I'm guilty, I did it, and I'd like to plead 'guilty,'' then my job is to present mitigating evidence for sentencing purposes.

Of course, it's far more complicated and stressful than what I've described above. Lawgrad can attest to that.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 31st, 2013, 10:31 am

CathyCA wrote:
DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:The jury found Mario McNeill guilty of murder for the 5 year old girl, Shaniya Davis, of Fayetteville. The jury gave him the Death Sentence, because McNeill would not let his defense argue againest it.

There's another murder case going on in Durham, now also. Raveb Abrora is accused of killing his wife.

I feel for the attorneys who have to defend people that are guilty as sin in heinous crimes. And the cost to the counties, cities and states for having to try them.
It is not the function of the attorneys to determine innocence or guilt. That is the function of the finder of fact, either the jury or the judge, depending on the type of case.

Defense attorneys have too many other things going on in a trial than to worry about ultimate innocence or guilt. We're there to make sure that our clients' constitutional rights are protected, and that our clients get fair trials. The determination of innocence or guilt is in the province of the jury (or judge) and our job as defense attorneys is to guide our clients through the procedures of trial, making sure that the clients get fair trials.

If a client tells me, "I'm guilty, I did it, and I'd like to plead 'guilty,'' then my job is to present mitigating evidence for sentencing purposes.

Of course, it's far more complicated and stressful than what I've described above. Lawgrad can attest to that.

I am on my iPad and so adding a great amount to this discussion would be difficult (plus I have to fight 4 other adults for a chance at the one bathroom), but yes, the legal process is very complex. Lots of things go into charging decisions and decisions to prosecute and plea bargaining that aren't always understandable from the outside.

People who like laws and sausages should never watch either being made. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 31st, 2013, 11:55 am

Thanks LawGrad and Cathy for your comments.

I would watch the daily news and read online about the Mario McNeill case for the little 5 year old Shaniya Davis. The DA and assistants did a great job and the Jury did also.

McNeill did not want his Attorneys to plea or argue againest the Death sentence vs Life without Parole, etc. The Judge asked him several times.
Has anything like that happened to any of the CTN attorneys? Cathy? LawGrad?

In the other local case in Durham, Raven Aboroa is accused of killing his pregnant wife. :( It is still in process.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 31st, 2013, 12:03 pm

Breaking news from Durham superior court:

Just In: Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson has ordered the jury in the murder trial of Raven Abaroa to continue deliberating after the jury says it is deadlocked 11-1. It's unclear which way the jury is leaning.

They were sent back to the jury room to deliberate!!!!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 31st, 2013, 12:38 pm

If a jury says it is hopelessly deadlocked, the judge will declare a mistrial. Otherwise, he will give them a lecture (in Virginia, it is called an Allen charge, after an old case) about how it is their responsibility to come up with a verdict, and send them back to deliberate.

We haven't had a death case in Henry County in forever; we have a couple of possible death cases but no decisions have been made on whether or not we will ask for a death sentence. Sometime when I am home and on a real computer I will be glad to discuss further.

Too bad the Slates aren't available to add their two cents worth, but they are in Cabo. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 31st, 2013, 11:01 pm

Who the hell is TheGingerChick?!?!?!?!
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 31st, 2013, 11:02 pm

I miss ohioguy posting here.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 2nd, 2013, 12:30 am

The memorial service lasted 90 minutes. There was a reception afterward. We got back to the house at 6:30.

PSA: people, turn your damned phones off before a memorial service. If you forget, and your phone rings, hang up and turn your phone off. DO NOT STAY IN THE SANCTUARY AND HAVE A CONVERSATION DURING THE SERVICE.

Thank you. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 2nd, 2013, 9:17 am

devildeac wrote:Who the hell is TheGingerChick?!?!?!?!

Not me.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 2nd, 2013, 9:18 am

devildeac wrote:I miss ohioguy posting here.
He hasn't posted in over a year. Though I lived in Ohio for 3 years(and would do so again), I am not ohioguy. Or ohioguy2.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 2nd, 2013, 9:18 am

lawgrad91 wrote:The memorial service lasted 90 minutes. There was a reception afterward. We got back to the house at 6:30.

PSA: people, turn your damned phones off before a memorial service. If you forget, and your phone rings, hang up and turn your phone off. DO NOT STAY IN THE SANCTUARY AND HAVE A CONVERSATION DURING THE SERVICE.

I've been called difficult to reach because I don't have my phone ringer on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 2nd, 2013, 9:26 am

lawgrad91 wrote:PSA: people, turn your damned phones off before a memorial service. If you forget, and your phone rings, hang up and turn your phone off. DO NOT STAY IN THE SANCTUARY AND HAVE A CONVERSATION DURING THE SERVICE.

You have GOT to be kidding me. L-)

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 2nd, 2013, 9:28 am

We walked in to Cameron yesterday and watched a little bit of the K Academy games. Fun stuff. I didn't recognize anybody. Lots of old guys playing ball. Mostly "campers."

~ James Naismith
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » June 2nd, 2013, 10:20 am

lawgrad91 wrote:The memorial service lasted 90 minutes. There was a reception afterward. We got back to the house at 6:30.

Someone didn't do that did they? How rude! :(
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 2nd, 2013, 11:24 am

IowaDevil wrote:

Someone didn't do that did they? How rude! :(
Yes. While bro in law Steve was reading, a phone rang behind me and to the left. It hang three or four times, and then a woman said, "hello." For probably a minute or a minute and a half, she had a conversation. Couldn't tell what was being said, but it was clear she was having a chat.

My thought was, man, unc fans are everywhere. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 2nd, 2013, 12:02 pm

CathyCA wrote:We walked in to Cameron yesterday and watched a little bit of the K Academy games. Fun stuff. I didn't recognize anybody. Lots of old guys playing ball. Mostly "campers."

Those Campers pay or Donate $10k for the K Academy camp!!!

I saw Kyrie on Friday........ not on campus. But in Durham.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 2nd, 2013, 12:04 pm

Duke Football is having a one day camp today!!!!

Great for the high school guys to come in and get a look by our staff and get some pointers!!!!
Wake Forest had a one day camp on Saturday!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 2nd, 2013, 3:56 pm

Max is going to the long snap camp at Duke the middle of this month. He's also going to baseball camp in July. He is so excited. :happy-bouncyblue:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 2nd, 2013, 4:48 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:Max is going to the long snap camp at Duke the middle of this month. He's also going to baseball camp in July. He is so excited. :happy-bouncyblue:
He could have a scholarship to Duke as a long snapper, then a long NFL career doing the same. Smart boy. But then, WE all know that already! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com