LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 27th, 2013, 8:46 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:On this Memorial Day I salute my grandpa, who served in the Navy during WWII, on a supply ship in the Pacific. At the beginning of the war, he worked in a molybdenum mine in CO. Molybdenum mining was a protected industry, so mine workers were exempt from being drafted. He had to quit working in the mine due to respiratory problems, so he enlisted in the Navy before he was drafted. Before leaving, he moved my grandma and his two young sons (one of whom was my dad) to a newly purchased farm in the hills of Arkansas - to a house with no electricity or running water. Thanks to the sacrifices made by those who served our country, as well as those who stayed behind to keep the home fires burning. **== **==

My grandpa passed away when I was 2 years old, so I don't remember him. I've heard some great stories, though. My grandma totally rocked - she visited Europe when she turned 80! I still miss her but have many fond memories.
What a nice remembrance for you have have of your grandpa. **==
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 27th, 2013, 8:47 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Lots of flooding here in San Antonio, but mostly well south of me. I'm in the hilly part and didn't have any issues.
I'm so glad your safe and dry. :happy-bouncyblue:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 27th, 2013, 8:57 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:On this Memorial Day I salute my grandpa, who served in the Navy during WWII, on a supply ship in the Pacific. At the beginning of the war, he worked in a molybdenum mine in CO. Molybdenum mining was a protected industry, so mine workers were exempt from being drafted. He had to quit working in the mine due to respiratory problems, so he enlisted in the Navy before he was drafted. Before leaving, he moved my grandma and his two young sons (one of whom was my dad) to a newly purchased farm in the hills of Arkansas - to a house with no electricity or running water. Thanks to the sacrifices made by those who served our country, as well as those who stayed behind to keep the home fires burning. **== **==

My grandpa passed away when I was 2 years old, so I don't remember him. I've heard some great stories, though. My grandma totally rocked - she visited Europe when she turned 80! I still miss her but have many fond memories.
Cool story, AD. **==
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 27th, 2013, 9:04 pm

Honoring the memories of my dad, who graduated high school on a Friday in 1943 and got his draft notice at lunchtime on Monday. Also honoring Great-Uncle Collins, who started out as a water tender and retired as a Lieutenant Commander. (I have his sense of timing. He was honorably discharged from the Navy on December 5, 1941, and re-enlisted on the 8th.) Also my grandfather Tom Matthews and Great-Uncle Brac Vinson, who served in France in WWI.

Finally, Lance Corporal Jonathan Bowling, USMC, rest in peace.

**== **== **== **== **==
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 27th, 2013, 11:54 pm

I claimed my father's key chain when he passed away. This means I get to carry his father's WWI dog tag with me. He served in the US Army Ambulance Corp. He was in Paris and liked to take walks when he was off duty. Apparently, they tended to move the unit frequently so one day when he came back from a walk, his unit had relocated and he had to try to track them down.

My father was in the Navy - his war story is that when he shipped out of San Diego, the sign on the pier congratulated those returning for a job well done. He shipped out when the fighting was done. Brother was Navy, Uncle Bob served during WWII (have a picture of him with Clark Gable), Uncle Gordon was in the Navy (PT boat shot out from under him in the Pacific), my other Uncle Bob was a Lt Colonel in the Air Force, Uncle Bill was Merchant Marines during WWII, and my cousin Michael is currently serving in the Air Force. To all of them and to the other heroes keeping us safe, a huge THANK YOU! Your service is appreciated and admired.

To those that made the ultimate sacrifice, you are not forgotten.

God bless our Service men and women!
Life is good!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 28th, 2013, 1:53 am

RING of FIRE, a Lifetime network original movie premiered today. In the role of June Carter Cash stars Jewel!!!! She is wonderful!!!! Move over Reece!!!!

On June 22, Lifetime network will premiere the new movie about Jodi Arias......... that girl is something else! The jury couldn't decide Death or Life without Parole..
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 28th, 2013, 7:18 am

I'm going to say it again, that's just crazie!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 28th, 2013, 5:12 pm

The Young and the Restless (CBS Daytime soap opera) did a tribute to Jeanne Cooper (Mrs Katherine Chancellor) today. It was a very heartfelt show.

Good Night, Mrs C
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 28th, 2013, 5:25 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:The Young and the Restless (CBS Daytime soap opera) did a tribute to Jeanne Cooper (Mrs Katherine Chancellor) today. It was a very heartfelt show.

Good Night, Mrs C
A good drinking game would be to drink every time she shows off her manicure, bless her heart.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 29th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:The Young and the Restless (CBS Daytime soap opera) did a tribute to Jeanne Cooper (Mrs Katherine Chancellor) today. It was a very heartfelt show.

Good Night, Mrs C
A good drinking game would be to drink every time she shows off her manicure, bless her heart.
Love, Ima
Jeanne Cooper was a Hollywood Actress and very beautiful. I always remember my parents telling me about her movie career before Y&R. Her former husband was Harry Bernsen. They had 3 children: Corbin, Collin and Caren. Corbin Bernsen is a very accomplished actor and appeared on Y&R in different roles. Likewise, Jeanne would appear as the mother of Corbin's character on his shows.

Jeanne as Mrs Catherine Chancellor was always very well manicured (by Jill in the early years), full makeup and teased hair, and beautiful clothes. Afterall, she was CEO of Chancellor Industry, and a multi millionaire, if not a billionaire, like Victor Newman.

RIP and Good Night Mrs C
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 29th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Mrs C in the early years, used to smoke on Y&R.

Fans of the "Young and the Restless" can watch the tribute to Jeanne Cooper in "The Young and the Restless" time slot on Tuesday, May 28.

Corbin Bernsen revealed that his mother’s last few weeks of her live were not pretty. He commented that he did not want to enter into a long dialogue into COPD, only to say that it was what killed her. He asked fans that if they smoke to please quit and if they do not smoke not to start.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 29th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Woo hoo. In laws now have wireless Internet. :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 29th, 2013, 8:03 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Woo hoo. In laws now have wireless Internet. :happy-bouncyblue:
Teeeee rifff ic. Now you won't miss out on any of our pithy commentary on the state of things!
Seriously, I hope all goes smoothly for you and the family. We're thinking of you.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 30th, 2013, 9:36 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
Teeeee rifff ic. Now you won't miss out on any of our pithy commentary on the state of things!
Seriously, I hope all goes smoothly for you and the family. We're thinking of you.
Love, Ima
CTN is THE reason I missed Internet so badly on my last trip west. I miss you guys when I can't see what is going on here. :duke:

Thank you for all the vibes and prayers for us. I can feel them! :duke: :ymhug: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » May 30th, 2013, 6:24 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
Love, Ima
CTN is THE reason I missed Internet so badly on my last trip west. I miss you guys when I can't see what is going on here. :duke:

Thank you for all the vibes and prayers for us. I can feel them! :duke: :ymhug: :9f:
Muwah!! More vibes, love and hugs!!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 30th, 2013, 9:09 pm

I don't post enough...
DukePA

Post by DukePA » May 30th, 2013, 10:13 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I don't post enough...
Ya gotta work on those PW skills, dude :D
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 30th, 2013, 10:59 pm

DukePA wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I don't post enough...
Ya gotta work on those PW skills, dude :D
Yes, it is an area of opportunity for me.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 31st, 2013, 1:49 am

The jury found Mario McNeill guilty of murder for the 5 year old girl, Shaniya Davis, of Fayetteville. The jury gave him the Death Sentence, because McNeill would not let his defense argue againest it.

There's another murder case going on in Durham, now also. Raveb Abrora is accused of killing his wife.

I feel for the attorneys who have to defend people that are guilty as sin in heinous crimes. And the cost to the counties, cities and states for having to try them.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 31st, 2013, 2:45 am

It is easier to defend the guilty than defend the innocent. It is extremely scary to defend an innocent person. If you lose, an innocent person is going to jail or prison.

I can't speak as to how often a defense attorney has a truly innocent client, in a serious case. I had one as a defense attorney and I was sick for days beforehand worrying about my client. Fortunately, he was acquitted. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.