LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DukieInKansas » May 25th, 2013, 11:18 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I'm going to Kenansville tomorrow morning. Max is joining the church. I don't want to miss this event. :ymhug:
Yay for Max! How special that you will be there to share in his important day.

:9f:
What Cathy said. :happy-bouncyblue: :ymhug: :9f:

I agree with them! :happy-bouncyblue:
Life is good!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 26th, 2013, 10:38 am

Lots of flooding here in San Antonio, but mostly well south of me. I'm in the hilly part and didn't have any issues.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 26th, 2013, 2:36 pm

The premiere of the HBO movie tonight, "Behind the Candelabra". The movie about Liberace, starring Michael Douglas and Matt Damon.

I know this movie will Not be a Drag!!!!

Rob Lowe plays the plastic surgeon and Debbie Reynolds, is also in the movie. Great Cast!!!!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 26th, 2013, 8:07 pm

There is a race going on right now, but I'm really just waiting for Lax tomorrow.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 26th, 2013, 8:36 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:There is a race going on right now, but I'm really just waiting for Lax tomorrow.
We are watching trucks race in mud. I'm not sure why, but that's what is on. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 26th, 2013, 8:43 pm

A happy karma story.

Last fall when we were going to be on vacation, I gave Duke football tickets to Charlie and Bobby, father and adult son with difficulties. They had a great time.

Fast forward to this afternoon. Charlie gave us his frequent flyer miles, enough to pay for RDU-SEA and back. And he made the reservation for B. It's Southwest, so while he was making B's reservations, I was making mine online.

Leaving Raleigh at noon Tuesday, flying back next Tuesday. Memorial service is Saturday, committal service next Monday.

Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 26th, 2013, 9:43 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:A happy karma story.

Last fall when we were going to be on vacation, I gave Duke football tickets to Charlie and Bobby, father and adult son with difficulties. They had a great time.

Fast forward to this afternoon. Charlie gave us his frequent flyer miles, enough to pay for RDU-SEA and back. And he made the reservation for B. It's Southwest, so while he was making B's reservations, I was making mine online.

Leaving Raleigh at noon Tuesday, flying back next Tuesday. Memorial service is Saturday, committal service next Monday.

That IS a happy karma story. What a wonderfully thoughtful gesture by Charlie. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 26th, 2013, 9:53 pm

I learned that I may have had more of an impact on PH(former)B than I originally though. There was a particular point regarding data analysis that I disagreed with PHB on, often and vocally. The usual response was some sort of disparaging, dismissive comment. After I knew I was leaving, I sent a fairly detailed analysis that illustrated my concerns with his method for doing analysis - basically, I backed up my argument with data. Flash forward to Friday, when I discovered a newly released paper from PHB. I had been looking for this particular paper due to the fact that it addresses some issues I'm dealing with right now. While reading the Materials and Methods section, I cringed when I read the usual statement about data analysis. However, the next statement reflects a change that he has made; it addresses the concerns that I raised way back when. It was a bit of a compromise between our two methods, but that's about as close as I'll ever get to an admission that I actually had a valid point. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 26th, 2013, 10:08 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I learned that I may have had more of an impact on PH(former)B than I originally though. There was a particular point regarding data analysis that I disagreed with PHB on, often and vocally. The usual response was some sort of disparaging, dismissive comment. After I knew I was leaving, I sent a fairly detailed analysis that illustrated my concerns with his method for doing analysis - basically, I backed up my argument with data. Flash forward to Friday, when I discovered a newly released paper from PHB. I had been looking for this particular paper due to the fact that it addresses some issues I'm dealing with right now. While reading the Materials and Methods section, I cringed when I read the usual statement about data analysis. However, the next statement reflects a change that he has made; it addresses the concerns that I raised way back when. It was a bit of a compromise between our two methods, but that's about as close as I'll ever get to an admission that I actually had a valid point. :9f:
Nice! Wonder if he thinks it was his idea, or if he (even subconsciously) gives credit where credit is due.

Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 26th, 2013, 10:30 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I learned that I may have had more of an impact on PH(former)B than I originally though. There was a particular point regarding data analysis that I disagreed with PHB on, often and vocally. The usual response was some sort of disparaging, dismissive comment. After I knew I was leaving, I sent a fairly detailed analysis that illustrated my concerns with his method for doing analysis - basically, I backed up my argument with data. Flash forward to Friday, when I discovered a newly released paper from PHB. I had been looking for this particular paper due to the fact that it addresses some issues I'm dealing with right now. While reading the Materials and Methods section, I cringed when I read the usual statement about data analysis. However, the next statement reflects a change that he has made; it addresses the concerns that I raised way back when. It was a bit of a compromise between our two methods, but that's about as close as I'll ever get to an admission that I actually had a valid point. :9f:
Nice! Wonder if he thinks it was his idea, or if he (even subconsciously) gives credit where credit is due.

Good question. The world may never know. Knowing PHB, he has likely forgotten that I even raised the issue. I know, though, and it gives me a great deal of satisfaction. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 27th, 2013, 8:22 am

Kindness matters.

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way. . .

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » May 27th, 2013, 9:42 am

What a great story! You guys are all in our prayers. Travel safe! :ymhug: :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 27th, 2013, 9:56 am

This Memorial Day I remember with pride Lt Bill Ingebrand, who marched into Paris with Patton's 3rd Army and Sgt Raymond Ingebrand who served two tours in Viet Nam.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 27th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Sergeant Kenneth W. Harris, Jr. , 212th Transportation Company, Charlotte, TN

I had the honor of serving with Sgt. Harris.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 27th, 2013, 2:54 pm

I can't log into Section 21. Is there anyone there talking about the game? 4th quarter just started. Duke up 10-7 over Syracuse.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 27th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Lavabe wrote:I can't log into Section 21. Is there anyone there talking about the game? 4th quarter just started. Duke up 10-7 over Syracuse.
I couldn't log into Section 21 either. "Invalid user name." Wonder why MealJar just won't work?

:)) :)) =)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 27th, 2013, 3:02 pm

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I can't log into Section 21. Is there anyone there talking about the game? 4th quarter just started. Duke up 10-7 over Syracuse.
I couldn't log into Section 21 either. "Invalid user name." Wonder why MealJar just won't work?

:)) :)) =)) =))
Now 12-7 with about 12 to go.

:YMPRAY:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 27th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Gentlemen, it did the same thing to me. Log on without a password and you can get in.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 27th, 2013, 8:09 pm

On this Memorial Day I salute my grandpa, who served in the Navy during WWII, on a supply ship in the Pacific. At the beginning of the war, he worked in a molybdenum mine in CO. Molybdenum mining was a protected industry, so mine workers were exempt from being drafted. He had to quit working in the mine due to respiratory problems, so he enlisted in the Navy before he was drafted. Before leaving, he moved my grandma and his two young sons (one of whom was my dad) to a newly purchased farm in the hills of Arkansas - to a house with no electricity or running water. Thanks to the sacrifices made by those who served our country, as well as those who stayed behind to keep the home fires burning. **== **==

My grandpa passed away when I was 2 years old, so I don't remember him. I've heard some great stories, though. My grandma totally rocked - she visited Europe when she turned 80! I still miss her but have many fond memories.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 27th, 2013, 8:33 pm

That is awesome and so very kind of Charlie. Please give B a hug for me. :ymhug: