PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » April 21st, 2013, 10:13 pm

I'm too old to be limited by PG-13.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 21st, 2013, 10:27 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I'm too old to be limited by PG-13.
Well then, here ya go:

:Angry Orc: :poo: :angry-cussing: :angry-cussingargument: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingwhite: :angry-screaming: :obscene-birdiedoublegreen: :obscene-birdiedoublered: :obscene-birdiered: :obscene-buttmoon: :obscene-buttred: :obscene-buttsmiley: :obscene-buttsway: :beer: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingchug: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :obscene-fart: :obscene-moneypiss: :orcs-buttshake: :orcs-censored: :orcs-cheers: :romance-threesome:

:banned:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 21st, 2013, 10:41 pm

I'm a bit disappointed in Alumni Weekend. Went to the on-campus events on Saturday and saw exactly 3 classmates. There were around 30 attendees at the reunion party on Saturday night. The party was fun; it was nice to catch up with the few people who were there. I had not seen several of the attendees since graduation.

Did have a fun bit of opportunity to do a favor for a friend. Among the attendees at the party were a classmate and her husband who were also friends from my old church in Little Rock. Their daughter is interested in attending Wash U in St. Louis. As it turns out, her interests are very similar in those of another friend: the director of campus and young adult ministries at my old church in St. Louis. I'm in the process of introducing them all via Facebook. Isn't it great what you can do through social media these days? :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » April 21st, 2013, 10:53 pm

CathyCA wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Some may go for truffles, I went the other direction today: funnel cake.
If she is in the detention center, shoukdn't that be tunnel cake?
YUM! Funnel cake! Tunnel cake? So long as it's cake!

:9f:
Tunnel cake may not be the official name - there used to be (may still be) a cake mix that put was a bundt cake with a tunnel of pudding in it. Hence, the tunnel cake name.
Life is good!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 22nd, 2013, 7:18 am

My alumni reunion experience was similar. Fairly small number of attendees. Perhaps social media has taken too big a part of our lives as we feel less of a need to get together in person?

Of course, my 10th from b-school and 20th from undergrad were on consecutive weekends. I had to pick one. I will likely go to my 25th from undergrad.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 22nd, 2013, 8:10 am

The more people who show up for a reunion the more fun it is! But one truism: those you didn't like 10 years ago haven't changed and you still won't like them. At 20 years and out everyone has changed and you'll probably find much in common with those turkeys and that you will like them. And they you! But ya gotta go to them! B-) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 22nd, 2013, 12:48 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:The more people who show up for a reunion the more fun it is! But one truism: those you didn't like 10 years ago haven't changed and you still won't like them. At 20 years and out everyone has changed and you'll probably find much in common with those turkeys and that you will like them. And they you! But ya gotta go to them! B-) :9f:
Well said Ozzie!!!!!!

And as the years go by, everyone seems to change and mellow a bit anyway! Cheers!!!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 22nd, 2013, 7:59 pm

It's really dead around here. :-?
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 22nd, 2013, 9:04 pm

I'm not dead, just not posting much.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 22nd, 2013, 9:44 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I'm not dead, just not posting much.
Glad your alive. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 22nd, 2013, 10:45 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I'm not dead, just not posting much.
Glad your alive. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
A classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wURUin2j8FU
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 22nd, 2013, 11:41 pm

As the Bunsen Burns

Today's installment: Games Takers Play

One of my tasks (somewhat self-appointed/voluntary) has been downloading protein databases for Road Runner's lab to use. Recently, Bar Minion has decided that I'm not downloading the correct form of the database and wanted me to redo all my work so as to give the form she wanted. Her first attempt at making me do this was to claim that one of her search engines was giving half the number of proteins as in previous versions of the database. I told her it was because of the way she was doing the search. She insisted that I was wrong and that I needed to generate the database that she wanted. I politely suggested she try the experiment of reverting back to her previous search parameters. Very begrudgingly, she agreed. Lo and behold, I was right. :-o

So, no go on first attempt, so time to try a new one. Approach 2: bring up at group meeting that I was supposed to download a new protein database and hadn't done it yet. (This was, IMO, a blatant attempt to make me look bad in front of the rest of the group. A true taker move. Yes, I was annoyed.) I got ready to do as she requested, and then I realized she didn't know what the heck she was talking about and I could call her on it. Therefore, I wrote a very nice email to her, copying Road Runner, asking her specifically what form of database she wanted. I then listed several of the many forms of database that could be downloaded, partially because I knew she had no f-ing clue what I was talking about. Crickets for most of the day. I finally received a response late in the afternoon. BarMinion had done (I suspect at Road Runner's request) a comparison of the search results from a couple of the databases. Turns out the results were better for the one I had been downloading. :-o

End of issue, right? No. BarMinion then sent an email to her husband, who also works in our field, to get his opinion of the matter. No big surprise: he sided with her. :-o 8-| In our meeting today, Road Runner had a sheet of paper with a flow chart which indicated the possible databases. She had circled the one she wanted. It was the one I've been downloading. =)) :ymdevil: Maybe NOW Bar Minion will give up and move on to something else.

One possible new target for her: a manuscript we're getting ready to submit. The purpose of the previously mentioned meeting between myself, Bar Minion, and Road Runner was to go through the draft of our manuscript. Road Runner and I have put in a lot of work on this manuscript; Bar Minion saw it for the first time today at our meeting (she didn't check her email before the meeting). A bit of history: originally, BarMinion was the sole first author and I was 2nd author. In the final draft that was previously submitted, I was moved up to co first author but am still listed after Bar Minion on the author list. Pretty much everything she did in the original manuscript has been chopped or minimized in the newest version. So, as of right now, I've done far more work on this manuscript than Bar Minion. Her part of the original work has been really, really diminished. I predict that she will be mightily ticked when she reads this and will go on the offensive. Hopefully I'm wrong on this, because the manuscript is actually really good.

Now, if that won't do it, this probably will. I got some good news today: Road Runner wants me to be first author on our next big manuscript. It's going to the 2nd biggest journal in our field. Bar Minion is going to blow a gasket.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 23rd, 2013, 7:04 am

I'm getting an Amazon gift card from work. I'm supposed to use it to buy a book off the recommended reading list.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » April 23rd, 2013, 11:17 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I'm getting an Amazon gift card from work. I'm supposed to use it to buy a book off the recommended reading list.
Did they specify which recommended reading list? :D
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » April 23rd, 2013, 11:18 am

AD - the next stage of As the Bunsen Burns is no good without pictures of said blown gasket. :D
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » April 23rd, 2013, 11:19 am

We are supposed to get some snow in the mix today. Doesn't Mother Nature know that it is April 23rd? Snow should not even be mentioned on this date.
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 23rd, 2013, 11:58 am

DukieInKansas wrote:AD - the next stage of As the Bunsen Burns is no good without pictures of said blown gasket. :D
:banana-gotpics: :text-worthless:

I want to see this too. Unfortunately, there isn't much of the nice people finishing first in my life these days, so it'd be nice to have evidence that it does occur. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 23rd, 2013, 12:32 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I'm getting an Amazon gift card from work. I'm supposed to use it to buy a book off the recommended reading list.
:happy-bouncyblue: Excellent! What book will you choose?
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 23rd, 2013, 12:38 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:AD - the next stage of As the Bunsen Burns is no good without pictures of said blown gasket. :D
I probably will not witness it myself. Poor Road Runner will be the one who has to deal with it. In the past, Bar Minion has been known to add herself as a co first author. She pulled this stunt on the grad student who was originally assigned to the project that our current manuscript describes. It's something I will have to watch for. Being the typical taker, BM will suck up to Road Runner and convince her that she should be first author. I seriously don't think it will fly, but I could be wrong.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 23rd, 2013, 1:09 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
I probably will not witness it myself. Poor Road Runner will be the one who has to deal with it. In the past, Bar Minion has been known to add herself as a co first author. She pulled this stunt on the grad student who was originally assigned to the project that our current manuscript describes. It's something I will have to watch for. Being the typical taker, BM will suck up to Road Runner and convince her that she should be first author. I seriously don't think it will fly, but I could be wrong.

That calls for pre-emptive strike, by hoping outloud and with great concern that BM is not so distressed that there is a repeat of the what happended with the current manuscript.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.