LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » April 13th, 2013, 10:31 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote: Hey, you've got the makings of a choir, too - CathyCA, DinK, and myself. Anyone else? (In the interest of having a somewhat balanced group, I'm alto and not very strong. I blend well.)
Heck, yeah, I'll sing!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 13th, 2013, 10:33 am

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I need to come up with an outfit for my 25 year college reunion party next weekend. The party is being held at an art gallery that's owned by one of my classmates. What should I wear? Dress? Nice slacks? I purchased a cute spring green dress with medium-size white polka dots, and I bought a white crocheted shrug to wear over it. I was going for not too dressy. Would this work, or do I need to try again? Paging CathyCA, personal shopper at large...
If the reunion party is during the day, the green dress and shrug will work well.

If it is at night, wear black and lots of bling.

Solid colors work best for pictures. So do three-quarter length sleeves, unless you have Michelle Obama arms.

When you pose for pictures, place your feet in a modified third position and turn one shoulder toward the camera. NEVER look straight on into the camera (unless want your photograph to look like a mug shot). Spend some time in front of the mirror to figure out which side of your face (and body) is your best side. Look slightly above the camera lens. Lift your chin and tilt your head to reduce the appearance of turkey neck. Thrust your tongue against the back of your top teeth to minimize shadows if you have any spaces between your teeth. Think of your favorite person and SMILE.

Wear comfortable shoes. I say this, even though every inch of heel visually subtracts 5 pounds. I'm going to wear 6-inch heels to my next reunion. LOL

Also, get a spray tan before you go. My girlfriends laugh at me, but I tell them that "tan fat looks better than pale fat." Do not go to a tanning bed, or you will end up like me with a dermatologist and plastic surgeon on your payroll.

Get some whitening strips for your teeth. White teeth make you look younger.

Most of all, have fun with your friends!

Thanks for all the advice, CathyCA! Since I was very poor throughout college (I paid my own way through school with minimal financial assistance from my parents), I didn't exactly have the most stylish of wardrobes. Anything above jeans and a t-shirt will be nicer than what I wore throughout most of college. :D Style was never a strong point of mine, so any/all advice is greatly appreciated.

The party is 7-10 pm. Daytime activities are at the college and are more casual. Still need to shop for this, so maybe I can find something in black for the evening. I most emphatically do not have Michelle Obama arms, so sleeves are good. The new dress is sleeveless, hence the shrug. I actually purchased 2 dresses (Dress Barn rocks!); the other is a bit blockish with a navy skirt, a turquoise band at the waist, and a light blue-green top. It, too, is sleeveless; I need something navy to go with it (I think). Had decided against it for the evening event.

I think I can skip the spray tan; I've been getting lots of sun lately. Since the weather has been really nice, I've been eating lunch at my desk and then taking a 30 min-1 hr walk in the neighborhood around the campus. My arms are getting noticeably darker. (Note to self: I should really bring different clothes to wear for my walk so I can get sun on my legs, too.)

I am really looking forward to seeing everyone. There are so many people that I haven't seen since graduation. I'm really looking forward to catching up.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 13th, 2013, 10:43 am

CathyCA wrote: Here's the best advice I can give you: spend some time looking at the pics the Duke Alumni Association posted on FB this morning. You will notice that most everyone in those photographs could have benefited from my advice.

After looking at those photographs, I have decided that I will be wearing a v-neck top to all of my reunion events next year.

I will also get my roots touched up and my eyebrows waxed about four days before the event.

Go to the Class of '83 photographs and take a look at President Brodhead's pose. He knows how to pose for a picture.

More excellent advice - thanks! I had thought of looking at last year's pictures from my college's website, but the more recent Duke pictures are an even better idea. Will look at them before my next shopping trip.

My green dress has a V-neck; the other does not. I like V-necks.

Too bad you weren't with me on my shopping expedition last night. I went to the Tanger Outlet Mall that's about 25 miles from me. Lots of good stores. IIRC, isn't Ann Taylor one of your favorites? They have an outlet store there. May need to stop back by there very soon. DSW is a bit farther down the road; that's my go-to place for shoes. There's also a JC Penney a bit farther down the road that's great for clothes but not so great for shoes.

Sadly, one of my favorites (Lindt Chocolate Store) is closing. Almost everything in the store is currently at 75% off. I spent $50 to stock my emergency chocolate stash at work (yes, it's Lindor Truffles, and yes, I'm very popular with my coworkers) and also to get some "ca-ca-clat" to share with my sister's family next weekend. I will be very popular with my 2 yr old niece.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 13th, 2013, 10:48 am

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote: Hey, you've got the makings of a choir, too - CathyCA, DinK, and myself. Anyone else? (In the interest of having a somewhat balanced group, I'm alto and not very strong. I blend well.)
Heck, yeah, I'll sing!

Ima, looks like the party is really taking off. You've got the preacher and the music covered - you'll just need to pick a suitable song for us to sing. Sounds like it's going to be a great party, based on all the people that want to come. All that's left is catering and location. Devildeac, what say you? Where are we having this grand event? How big a party can we have? :D
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 13th, 2013, 11:27 am

I've noticed that responses from DD are glaringly absent. I'm considering Paris (not the one in Tennessee) as the destination. I think that would be nice. Unless maybe the new Pope needs some experience in performing marriages. We aren't Catholic, but what the heck. That Vatican rocks and I love pasta. I'm flexible.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 13th, 2013, 11:31 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I've noticed that responses from DD are glaringly absent. I'm considering Paris (not the one in Tennessee) as the destination. I think that would be nice. Unless maybe the new Pope needs some experience in performing marriages. We aren't Catholic, but what the heck. That Vatican rocks and I love pasta. I'm flexible.
Love, Ima
I've always wanted to go to Paris! I studied French in high school and college, but I've never been to Europe. Only the best for you and the OP, Ima. Besides, I believe the French are known for their pastries. Your cake would be phenomenal. =p~
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 13th, 2013, 12:16 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I've noticed that responses from DD are glaringly absent. I'm considering Paris (not the one in Tennessee) as the destination. I think that would be nice. Unless maybe the new Pope needs some experience in performing marriages. We aren't Catholic, but what the heck. That Vatican rocks and I love pasta. I'm flexible.
Love, Ima
I've always wanted to go to Paris! I studied French in high school and college, but I've never been to Europe. Only the best for you and the OP, Ima. Besides, I believe the French are known for their pastries. Your cake would be phenomenal. =p~
Ooh French wine! French cheese! Viva la France!

But pasta is yummy, too. Whichever you like, Ima!
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 13th, 2013, 12:32 pm

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Heck, yeah, I'll sing!

I almost forgot: I Love Jimmy is a singer, too. We can put together quite the choir from our modest little group.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 13th, 2013, 12:54 pm

As the Bunsen Burns

This week was somewhat uneventful (it's not sweeps time, so the drama factor is low). I mercifully avoided contact with Wile E. Coyote for the whole week. Had a couple of interactions with BarMinion that made me want to pull my hair out. Somehow I managed to maintain my cool and hopefully improve our working relationship.

I've started to read the book that Ima recommended. It's really thought-provoking. The basic premise is that the working environment is made up of givers, takers, and matchers (those who expect reciprocation). The author, Adam Grant, notes that people at both the top and the bottom of the ladder of success are givers - basically, the difference is in knowing when you're giving so much that your own work suffers. Will give more perceptions as they come.

Categorizing people's tendencies, as well as our own, can be a useful exercise IMO. Overall I think I'm a giver, but I have some matcher tendencies as well. I think I also have a tendency to avoid takers. In an honest assessment, it would be because hanging around them makes me more like them. Also, takers have a natural tendency to take advantage of givers (taking credit for their work). It has happened to me far too often, and I deal with it by avoidance. I believe that takers also tend to be the worst of the bus-tossers. (Would that make Ol' Roy a taker?)

In my current working environment, I would put MacGyver as the strongest giver in the group. Wile E. Coyote is a taker of the worst order, and I think BarMinion has these tendencies as well. As far as Road Runner, I haven't quite pegged her yet, but I think she falls more toward the matcher side of the equation. I'm uncertain enough to remain somewhat cautious. Road Runner strikes me as the type of person who will keep the people happy who can be most helpful to her professionally, but not in the same way as Old Boss. Old Boss has a split personality of sorts: away from work, he seems to be more of a giver. At work, though, he's definitely in the taker/matcher realm. Strangely, if I compare Old Boss's attitude as my time there progressed, he went even more into the taker/matcher realm as time progressed, and the switch seemed to happen when he went up for promotion. Pushy PI is definitely taker (and he backed Old Boss when he went up for promotion, which explains a lot if you think about it). All of those "art of war" type books promote the taker mentality as the way to get ahead in the world, and there are lots of disciples out there. Yes, they're successful, but is the cost worth it?
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 13th, 2013, 1:13 pm

I need to get a copy of Ima's recommended book. AD, did you get it in electronic form?
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 13th, 2013, 1:15 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I need to get a copy of Ima's recommended book. AD, did you get it in electronic form?
Sure did! I'm reading it on my Kindle.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 13th, 2013, 1:32 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:I need to get a copy of Ima's recommended book. AD, did you get it in electronic form?
Sure did! I'm reading it on my Kindle.
Cool. Will have to look for it on my iPad.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 13th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Love, Ima
This has been so much fun!! Wish you had started a new thread!!!! :ymhug:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » April 13th, 2013, 5:35 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Mom called and complained she was tired and sore.

Turns out she decided there was too much wax buildup on the kitchen floor and she decided to remove the wax herself. :-o
All I can say is this: I admire her spunk.

QFE
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » April 13th, 2013, 5:42 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Deac, I think the OP and I should renew our vows along about September. Would you spring for a reception? Something elegant for say, about 200 elderly guests? On second thought, I've always wanted a destiny wedding. I'll have my people call your people.

Love, Ima
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) I want to come! Would you consider a not-so-elderly person? Maybe I should be asking devildeac, since he's footing the bill... :9f:
The lawgrads, Party of 2, would like to RSVP now.

Since DD is paying, the Rev Lawgrad would certainly offer his services for a small fee.
ArkieDukie wrote:Hey, you've got the makings of a choir, too - CathyCA, DinK, and myself. Anyone else? (In the interest of having a somewhat balanced group, I'm alto and not very strong. I blend well.)
Count me in - I'm a soprano. If someone has handbells we could use, AD & I could play a duet. If we have a piano player in the group, that would be even better as there is often a piano part with the duets.

I'll even buy my own airline ticket to get there - just to save DD some moolah.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » April 13th, 2013, 5:49 pm

IowaDevil wrote:We are finally going to have Dad's memorial service Monday and commit his ashes to the columbarium he picked. I am doing the eulogy - wrote & and presenting it - I am going to need some serious vibes on Monday about 10:30 am. ! :)
Vibes to you, IowaDevil. You will never regret doing the eulogy, no matter how hard it is at the time. Think of a fun memory of your dad before you start so you are in a smiling mood when you start.

(I sang at my father's funeral. Scared spitless but glad I did it. Of course, I sang from the balcony so I wasn't looking at anyone. Plus, Younee had just finished playing the Michigan fight song on the pipe organ. The thought of that still makes me smile.)
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 13th, 2013, 7:23 pm

I did make a small bit of progress today: I found one of the two receipts for all the stuff I donated to Goodwill. Still missing one receipt and the list of all the items I donated. Either I fill out my taxes without the detailed list, claiming an estimated deduction, or I don't deduct anything at all. What should I do? Taxes need to go in this weekend.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 13th, 2013, 9:21 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
Count me in - I'm a soprano. If someone has handbells we could use, AD & I could play a duet. If we have a piano player in the group, that would be even better as there is often a piano part with the duets.

I'll even buy my own airline ticket to get there - just to save DD some moolah.
Ooh, ooh, I played handbells at my old church. Got any trios? I can play four in hand down to the G below middle C, if necessary.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 13th, 2013, 9:30 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I did make a small bit of progress today: I found one of the two receipts for all the stuff I donated to Goodwill. Still missing one receipt and the list of all the items I donated. Either I fill out my taxes without the detailed list, claiming an estimated deduction, or I don't deduct anything at all. What should I do? Taxes need to go in this weekend.
The only thing I remember about tax law is if you swap a bull for a cow, it is not a like-kind exchange. Or a like-kine exchange, for that matter.

That being said, I think I'd claim the estimate and try to come up with an approximate list to cover you, just in case. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 13th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Love, Ima
I've been thinking about this, Ima. I think devildeac hasn't responded yet because he's excited and honored that you've chosen him to play such an important role in your big day - so much so, in fact, that he's completely speechless. The lack of response signals tacit approval. I think you should proceed with your plans - the bigger the better. Devildeac obviously wants it that way.

In thinking about your Paris/Italy plan, it seems to me that it would save your benefactor a lot of money if you chartered a jet to carry all the guests for your special day. Knowing devildeac's generous nature, I'm sure he'd want to cover travel as well, and first class tickets for 200+ guests would set him back a little bet. A special charter flight, complete with an onboard chef, would be so much cheaper.

That devildeac sure is a great guy. Have you thought about asking him to give you away at the ceremony?
-- Albert Einstein