LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DukieInKansas » February 2nd, 2013, 11:15 pm

Congratulations, AD!
Life is good!
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » February 3rd, 2013, 12:52 am

lawgrad91 wrote:Hahaha.

Watching the kensucky-A&M game, in College Station, TX.

ESPN just showed a fan with an "I still hate Laettner" shirt.

:duke: Suck it, dude.
There were a ton of them at the Final Four last year! They just don't forget and they aren't very nice! Rudest fans I've ever seen!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » February 3rd, 2013, 12:57 am

Yikes, I just watched the Blue Plant highlights from today's game. Am so sorry I didn't get that DVR installed BEFORE I left home! What fun that game must've been! I promise, I getting that thing as soon as I get home! :D
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 3rd, 2013, 6:11 am

DukieInKansas wrote:Congratulations, AD!
Thanks, DinK!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 3rd, 2013, 6:15 am

IowaDevil wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Hahaha.

Watching the kensucky-A&M game, in College Station, TX.

ESPN just showed a fan with an "I still hate Laettner" shirt.

:duke: Suck it, dude.
There were a ton of them at the Final Four last year! They just don't forget and they aren't very nice! Rudest fans I've ever seen!
My brother used to travel to away games, one different location per year, with the Hogs. He said that LSU fans were the rudest. Kentucky fans were nice. Maybe it has to do with the sport?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » February 3rd, 2013, 8:12 am

I worked on my taxes while the game was on, l the part I was home for. More vet visits, woohoo!
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » February 3rd, 2013, 8:40 am

Well done, AD! I hope your inclusion reaps big rewards!!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 3rd, 2013, 8:47 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I worked on my taxes while the game was on, l the part I was home for. More vet visits, woohoo!
I'll do mine this week.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 3rd, 2013, 9:58 am

Sometimes Facebook is amusing, sometimes it is annoying...and a lot of the time it is a vast wasteland of stupid. This morning however a friend of mine was tagged by the hostess of the super bowl he will be attending in a photo...of the BACON COOKIES she was making. BACON COOKIES. WHAT?

I weep with joy at another way to consume my beloved BACON. I await the arrival of the recipe.

BACON.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 3rd, 2013, 12:49 pm

windsor wrote:Sometimes Facebook is amusing, sometimes it is annoying...and a lot of the time it is a vast wasteland of stupid. This morning however a friend of mine was tagged by the hostess of the super bowl he will be attending in a photo...of the BACON COOKIES she was making. BACON COOKIES. WHAT?

I weep with joy at another way to consume my beloved BACON. I await the arrival of the recipe.

BACON.
Please please please post recipe here! =p~
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » February 3rd, 2013, 12:49 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I found out some exciting news yesterday. I spent much of the week helping RoadRunner generate preliminary data for our collaborators at MD Anderson. They're getting ready to apply for a huge grant, and it sounds as though funding is pretty much guaranteed. RoadRunner met with them on Thursday and learned that this work is going to be submitted to Nature: Medicine. It will be a follow-up to the paper that they've been invited to submit to New England Journal of Medicine. NEJM paper will be the clinical side; the Nature: Medicine paper will be the basic research side. I'll probably be a ways down the "et al." list, but I'll be there. Don't know how much I can say about the project other than that it's way cool and beyond exciting.

The leader of the MD Anderson part of the group is giving a seminar for our department this coming Friday over this work. Suffice it to say that this guy's work is VERY impressive. He's making some serious strides in finding a cure for glioblastoma. I'm honored to be a part of the project. I don't know if he'll talk about any of the preliminary data for his grant, or if all of it will be the clinical stuff. Think it would help me politically if I'm at least mentioned in the acknowledgments at the end of his talk.

All of this goes a long way toward making up for being left off the big breast cancer project by PHB. This is probably a better project than that one, truth be told. If this work really does make it to Nature: Medicine, and I believe it's big enough to end up there, I will be sorely tempted to send PHB a copy of the paper. Accompanying it will be a note that thanks him for giving me the necessary skills to make a contribution to such a valuable project. I'm honest enough to admit that it's true and give credit where it's due, but the snark in me will want to ask him where NuBarbie is on the learning curve. I think all of you know enough about the history to understand.
I am sooooo excited for you! I have treated people with GBM after my former mother-in-law died from the hideous disease. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing this very important work. You rock!! xoxoxo
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » February 3rd, 2013, 2:40 pm

DukePA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I found out some exciting news yesterday. I spent much of the week helping RoadRunner generate preliminary data for our collaborators at MD Anderson. They're getting ready to apply for a huge grant, and it sounds as though funding is pretty much guaranteed. RoadRunner met with them on Thursday and learned that this work is going to be submitted to Nature: Medicine. It will be a follow-up to the paper that they've been invited to submit to New England Journal of Medicine. NEJM paper will be the clinical side; the Nature: Medicine paper will be the basic research side. I'll probably be a ways down the "et al." list, but I'll be there. Don't know how much I can say about the project other than that it's way cool and beyond exciting.

The leader of the MD Anderson part of the group is giving a seminar for our department this coming Friday over this work. Suffice it to say that this guy's work is VERY impressive. He's making some serious strides in finding a cure for glioblastoma. I'm honored to be a part of the project. I don't know if he'll talk about any of the preliminary data for his grant, or if all of it will be the clinical stuff. Think it would help me politically if I'm at least mentioned in the acknowledgments at the end of his talk.

All of this goes a long way toward making up for being left off the big breast cancer project by PHB. This is probably a better project than that one, truth be told. If this work really does make it to Nature: Medicine, and I believe it's big enough to end up there, I will be sorely tempted to send PHB a copy of the paper. Accompanying it will be a note that thanks him for giving me the necessary skills to make a contribution to such a valuable project. I'm honest enough to admit that it's true and give credit where it's due, but the snark in me will want to ask him where NuBarbie is on the learning curve. I think all of you know enough about the history to understand.
I am sooooo excited for you! I have treated people with GBM after my former mother-in-law died from the hideous disease. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing this very important work. You rock!! xoxoxo

It just doesn't get more rewarding than this, does it. Wonderful and satisfying work. Clearly what you were put here to do, AD. Keep it up. Sooo proud to know ya!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 3rd, 2013, 3:17 pm

Thanks, Ima and DukePA! Our esteemed colleagues at MD Anderson treat the patients; they're doing the really important part of the work. I'm one of the Pips on this one, and I'm happy to be one of the backup singers. I will say, though, it's pretty darn cool to work on something where you know that what you're doing can make a difference for the clinicians. We might be able to help the clinicians understand what's happening with their treatment protocol at the biochemical level. So, so cool.

As you may recall, my old buddy Pushy PI once told me that I was just a chemist and therefore could not understand the importance of his work. I would now officially like to issue him a :Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: . This work is far more important than anything that he and The Minion are falsifying results on. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA

Post by DukePA » February 3rd, 2013, 3:43 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Thanks, Ima and DukePA! Our esteemed colleagues at MD Anderson treat the patients; they're doing the really important part of the work. I'm one of the Pips on this one, and I'm happy to be one of the backup singers. I will say, though, it's pretty darn cool to work on something where you know that what you're doing can make a difference for the clinicians. We might be able to help the clinicians understand what's happening with their treatment protocol at the biochemical level. So, so cool.

As you may recall, my old buddy Pushy PI once told me that I was just a chemist and therefore could not understand the importance of his work. I would now officially like to issue him a :Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: . This work is far more important than anything that he and The Minion are falsifying results on. :ymdevil:
Don't underestimate the importance of your contributions to medicine. Without you and others in research, we're back in the stone age with little hope. Sure, we implement the treatments, but you create them.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 3rd, 2013, 8:50 pm

Congratulations AD. I hope it all goes your way this time. :ymhug:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 4th, 2013, 3:46 pm

1. New York, NY
2. Los Angeles, CA
3. Chicago, IL
4. Houston, TX
5. Philadelphia, PA
6. Phoenix, AZ
7. San Antonio, TX
8. San Diego, CA
9. Dallas, TX
10. San Jose, CA

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 4th, 2013, 3:48 pm

North Carolina:

1. Charlotte
2. Raleigh
3. Greensboro
4. Durham
5. Winston-Salem
6. Fayetteville
7. Cary
8. Wilmington
9. High Point
10. Greenville

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 4th, 2013, 3:50 pm

States by population:

1. California
2. Texas
3. New York
4. Florida
5. Illinois
6. Pennsylvania
7. Ohio
8. Georgia
9. Michigan
10. North Carolina

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 4th, 2013, 3:51 pm

I moved from the 10th largest city in the country to the 10th largest "city" in the 10th largest state.

That appeals to my OCDness.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 4th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Greenville is the largest "city" in North Carolina without an interstate running through it.

~ James Naismith